Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Leopard How-to (Updated 1/10)

Conroe Mac

412 posts in this topic

i *think* i have pc_efi_v40 running. how would i know if im doing it correctly? im currently trying out ToH's 10.5 kernel and still no sleep but speedstep seems to be working. Also when i run geekbench it still shows me as a hackintosh, any ideas why? thanks :(

Hmph.I'm obviously doing something wrong, since kaleph got it working on a rev 1.0 board, which is what I have.I'll have to try again, maybe with a fresh install.
Hmm... All I did was pretty much what I've said before: just installed using a brazilmac patched dvd, altered the postinstall file to prevent it from replacing the vanilla kernel and installed the efi v4 boot file using startupfiletool. Oh, one thing I've forgot to mention is that the boot guide never quite worked for me, so I used a ubuntu live cd (yes, I know, shame on me :P ), started gparted and noticed that the leopard disk didnt have the boot flag on. So I checked on the boot flag, saved the changes and it booted.Oh, I've forgot to mention that I'm using the AHCI driver for XP that Kiss mentioned, and it works beautifully.
i *think* i have pc_efi_v40 running. how would i know if im doing it correctly? im currently trying out ToH's 10.5 kernel and still no sleep but speedstep seems to be working. Also when i run geekbench it still shows me as a hackintosh, any ideas why? thanks ;)
Geekbench still shows you as hackintosh because you're using ToH's kernel. You have to use the vanilla kernel for it to identify your machine as a "true" mac.

After booting with -s, you type this, right?

/sbin/fsck -y
/sbin/mount -uw /

Then proceed with the ./startupfiletool business.

startupfiletool only writes to partition which is unmounted or mount as read only

so if boot with -s, its perfect time, just proceed the ./starupfiletool thing, don't do "/sbin/mount -uw /"

as it mounts / as read-write and startupfiletool will fail.

if u do this in another OS X installation or from installation disc(not neccessary unless Leopard fails to boot), u need to umount target partition first.

OS X86 is always a waiting game. There's still no fully-featured Leopard DVD out and now we are already running the vanilla kernel. I wonder how this breakthrough will affect the upcoming crop of Leopard DVDs. Will they include a vanilla kernel option? The vanilla kernel seems to cause some basic problems with restarting, shutting down, etc... My guess is that hackintoshes won't run the vanilla kernel in the future, but the ability to update will be very useful. Perhaps there will be fixes for restart, shut down, and sleep that utilize kexts so that all Pentium hackintoshes can run the vanilla kernel.

First off, thanks for all the information on this thread, it's been extremely helpful so far.

I installed leopard using BrazilMAC's guide. Booting from the dvd takes a good 20 minutes to get into the install gui, but once in, it was running much faster. After the install completed, I ran the post patch file, and made the partition bootable. I made the changes for the Yukon network controller, so now I have everything working (sound, network, gui, etc).

It all runs pretty smoothly except for the occasional (once every hour or so) grey screen that tells me I need to reboot. This seems to happen most often when I'm messing with Crossover office, but it has also happened when just using firefox, browsing the web. I looked through some of the log files, but can't seem to find any information related to the crash. Does anyone know what I should do to try and track down this problem and fix it?

My hardware:

- 965P-DS3

- c2d e6600

- 4g ram

- hdd plugged into the purple sata controller

- usb dvd drive used for install

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Trevis,

I know there was some talk about OSX on gigabyte boards crashing when it uses more than 3.2gigs of ram. I dont have that problem since I only have 2gigs of RAM. Altho obviously firefox wont eat up that much RAM. You might wanna look into that if youre not aware of that issue.

Thanks royco, I wasn't aware of that issue. I booted up fresh, and loaded up photoshop with a few large images, and what do you know, instant reboot screen. I just remove a stick of ram so I'm down to 3 gigs, and did the same test with photoshop. No crashes so far, so it's looking good. Thanks for the information, looks to have solved my problem.

Well, thanx for the info about issue guys, cause i was just getting to go tomorrow to buy additional 2 gigs of RAM...

Damn... what now? :unsure:

startupfiletool only writes to partition which is unmounted or mount as read only

so if boot with -s, its perfect time, just proceed the ./starupfiletool thing, don't do "/sbin/mount -uw /"

as it mounts / as read-write and startupfiletool will fail.

if u do this in another OS X installation or from installation disc(not neccessary unless Leopard fails to boot), u need to umount target partition first.

THANK YOU!

Finally, after a week of asking questions you hit the nail on the head. Single-user mode did not work for me when trying to use startupfiletool to install the efi bootloader, but once I tried it with your suggestion in read-only mode it worked like a friggin' charm.

I'd like to shake your hand and buy you a beer. Right on!

hello i've modified the info.plist in the yukon2.kext like discibled in leopard, but my network cards cannot be found!

Unter tiger both card worked absolut correctly with this settings, but there i modified the appleyukon.kext!

In the appleyukon2.kext i ve no chance to relive my network cards! the dev and the id are correct....have no idea what i can do now!

I'm sad because under tiger no problem, but why unter Leo!

Thx for help

relaxer

Help please....

Am stuck on an endless reboot cycle. I replaced the Mach_kernel from Brazilmac's postpatch with the vanilla kernel I found on leodm's site and followed the directions to the T. When I tried to boot from the prompt in single user mode, it just restarts the PC. Endless loop. I did exactly what was described. I think.

Can anyone help, please? I am on P965-DS4 (same as the DS3 almost). Any help?

Help please....

Am stuck on an endless reboot cycle. I replaced the Mach_kernel from Brazilmac's postpatch with the vanilla kernel I found on leodm's site and followed the directions to the T. When I tried to boot from the prompt in single user mode, it just restarts the PC. Endless loop. I did exactly what was described. I think.

Can anyone help, please? I am on P965-DS4 (same as the DS3 almost). Any help?

I have a friend with a 965P-DS3 rev 3.0 who's having the same issue :(

For now I've gave up and he's using brazilmac's patched kernel.

Is there an advantage to using the vanilla kernel over brazilmac's kernel?

Using netkas efi boot and the vanilla kernel you can use official updates. Some people updated to 10.5.1 with no issues, while some are having issues with some kexts, but its a step closer to having an "official" mac :P

Speaking of vanilla kernel - i have the same problem.

Tried it today two times... -> Endless reboot loop.

I need it for my ESI audio card (installing ESI drivers on hacked kernel leads to kernel panic =(( )

Update:

Found in another thread (for GA G33M-DS2R mobo):

Okay, I'm using PC EFI V3 as Netkas told us V4 only add multi-platform boot (Windoz, Linux.... etc whatever you like) and I don't need it....There's actually one drawback with Leo, not sure is it vanilla mach kernel, everytime I reboot, getta use verbose mode instead of grey bg/black apple, otherwise it'll be panic.......Three more things, i) to deploy EFI, YOU MUST BOOT WITH ToH DVD AND UNMOUNT SYSTEM DRIVE. ...

Will try this.

For those of you having problems, make sure that your disk is not mounted when you run startupfiletool. That was my problem. Once I ran the tool on an unmounted drive, it worked perfectly. If you're booting into single-user mode, make sure that you don't run fsck at startup, as that will also block the startupfiletool from running correctly. Just navigate to the patch directory and let 'er rip.

SA22C

Mounting is not a problem here =)

If youd read carefully - we have a restart issue right after try to enter single-user mode.

Means:

Darvin Bootloader -> You hit F8 -> enter: -s -> press "enter" and... restart.

*sorry for a little too many posts people

.. At risk of sounding silly .. Me too!

Brazillian install, worked ok.. followed instructions to replace EFI (v4) and vanilla kernal (and copied over dsmos as well, per vanilla kernel), fixed chmod / chown, rebooted, and now stuck.

the next 'step' of the instructions was to boot with -s, use startuptool to change the boot to 'enable efi', but when I did so, I ran into the same issue.

No grey apple screen.. just Hit F8, select Leo partition, add -s, hit enter.

Computer reboots right where it should be loadin the gui.

As the original patched mach_kernel was renamed to mach_kernel.patched, could selecting a different kernel at the boot loader get me back into the leo gui, or other modes to fix it, and if so how to I do so (load alternate kernel)?

Much appreciated.

fordee.

SA22C

Mounting is not a problem here =)

If youd read carefully - we have a restart issue right after try to enter single-user mode.

Means:

Darvin Bootloader -> You hit F8 -> enter: -s -> press "enter" and... restart.

*sorry for a little too many posts people

Yes, I get that you're getting endless restarts.

That's because the EFI bootloader isn't installed.

What you should do is replace the patched kernel so that you can boot, or if you followed the guide and simply renamed it, you can boot from the patched kernel by typing its name in the prompt, followed by -s to boot into single-user mode.

Once in single-user mode, don't mount the volume but instead navigate to where you've stored the EFI patch and run startupfiletool. It will work perfectly now that you're using it on an unmounted volume and when you reboot, you'll be able to boot with the stock kernel.

Hopefully that's a little clearer. :)

for anyone who used my guide to install EFI, there is a BIG mistake

once u have vanilla kernel restored(and name it to /mach_kernel), u can't load system directly without EFI installed. So to install EFI, u need to enter single user mode with old patched kernel, this can be done by typing:

mach_kernel.patched -s

just add the kernel name so Leopard will load it(instead of mach_kernel, which is the vanilla one at this point)

sorry about this!

Ok, new problem.

This one's not a show-stopper, but it is particularly annoying.

When booting my system, everything ticks along nicely but right towards the end of the boot process it pauses for about 30 seconds with the error message IOKitWaitQuiet() timed out. This error only occurs when I've got AppleVIAATA.kext loaded. I'd like to retain IDE access, so I kinda need that file.

Is anyone else having this error? Anyone have a work-around for me?

Thanks.