Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Leopard How-to (Updated 1/10)

Conroe Mac

412 posts in this topic

Damn.. i had the ToH rc2 flat image working flawlessly but i did some kext testing for one adaptec usb/firewire pci and messed it up.. i've recently acquired the latest kalyway 10.5.2.. you thing i'm gonna make it work with my specs.. i mean the installation straight from the dvd.. cause only flat ways worked for my till now..

thanx in advance!

• 3 weeks later...

I accidentally tried to boot leopard in NON-AHCI mode, what ever normal is, and it would't boot, now even when in AHCI mode it wont boot unless i give it the -x compatablity command. can anyone help me? also is there a way to boot leopard when not in ahci mode? i can't boot to vista when AHCI is enabled. thanks guys.

I did install it and now I have restart, but I still can't do a proper shut down. I just restart and hit the power button at right time.

Overall a great install, I just wish all four ICH8 ports worked in ACHI mode. My Jmicron controller does seem to work well without any patching, and in that respect I have 4 available ports total, and all are ACHI.

We shall see what 2008 brings in terms of new boards (I would like my next machine to be a micro ATX formfactor) and software updates from Apple. This has gotten too easy, and I fear the other shoe is going to drop.

In the meantime, you guys have done a great job with the DS3 guides, keep up the good work!

Geeze

UPDATE: I did change a setting in the bios under power management from S1 to S3. Now my machine shuts down fine. It sleeps, but when I bring it out of sleep the video is "blurry".

Had the same issue, - switched DVI ports and that fixed it.

• 5 weeks later...
Has anyone confirmed that you can in fact use 4gigs of ram with this board after tweaks?

Definitely can. I am currently using 4Gigs without an issue. Also managed to update to 10.5.3 using Kalyway's Combo installer.

cheers

• 1 month later...

I have tested leo4all v3 on my ga965p ds3 v3, with AHCI on it seemed to work like a dream.

Then after having installed many apps and playing around with music and photoshop, it sometimes stucks and hangs for 1 min, after that it works again smoothly.

But hanging every hour and all my work stops, got me back to Vista again :P

I hope to find a solution for this problem, i think it has something todo with the AHCI on my harddisk, Samsung 500gb.

Do others also experience these hickups ? whats the solution ?

IDE didnt work for booting !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

:P

Leopard 10.5.4 is working mostly properly on my GA-965P-DS3 (F10) as of last night. In fact, I'm posting this message right now on my OSX86 partition.

To install, I had to configure my drives (Dual boot/Multi disc) as

OSX = drive 0 (first plug, top slot)

DVD = drive 1 (first plug, second slot)

XP = unplugged

My "running" config is

XP = drive 0

OSX = drive 1

DVD = drive 2

Disclaimer:No purple ports were harmed in the making of this install, but steak was eaten and beer was consumed. :hysterical:

With my running configuration, my XP drive is the "default" drive, so it will always boot to that unless I tell it otherwise using F12 at POST.

I went all SATA so I wouldn't have to screw around with too many variables. 250GB Seagate SATA drive was ~$65.00, SATA DVD/RW ~$30.00 and it was worth every penny not to have to mess around with PATA-SATA cards and all that other nonsense. (IMHO)

I used the iATKOS distro I picked up from a guy dressed as a :pirate2: at a party I went to. He said he found it on the intertubes. :unsure:

I installed twice; once to just see if the DVD was going to work, then again to choose all my hardware that I didn't the first time. Total install time doing it the pedantic way was still less than an hour, probably closer to 45 minutes but I didn't keep track.

LAN (Realtek) worked after installing the correct driver from the distro DVD. I haven't tried the Yukon LAN yet, but I'll try to get to it in the next couple of days.

PCI-e evga e-GeForce 7600 GT works with NVInject (1024x768, 1280x1024) EDIT: Nope, it doesn't work. Not 100% anyway. There's no 3d support so there's no DVD playback, and no video games. :(

I tried installing other drivers from the install disc, but no luck.

However, if you can do without the 3D support, everything else works beautifully. ;)

On-board sound works mostly. I have a 5.1 setup running as a 2.1 at the moment. My Rear and Center channel is off-line but there are tools at the beginning of this thread for that, so I'm going to try those out and see what I can do.

There are a few little issues; I can't shutdown or restart this partition. In order to "shutdown" I have to kill it by hand after the OS shuts down. To "restart" this partition I have to shutdown, kill it, turn off the box, then restart. Otherwise I get the "Waiting on root device" error. :wacko:

I haven't tried to suspend/standby yet, I imagine it won't work either since it is actually the more difficult operation to perform.

I used Apple update last night to update iTunes, so I could verify it would sync with my iphone and ipod, and I updated Java, but I haven't applied the security update that I was offered. I'll probably try it in a little while, and if I have to reinstall no bigge because I probably will anyway so I can re-size my drive and do some house keeping to make it easier to live with this OS.

So anyway, there it is.

iATKOS, you rock mate! :D:thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim:

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi all,

WEll, I worked for four days (and nights) trying to get my GA-965P-ds3 (ver.3.3 bios f12) to work and finally had to give up due to impending madness. I tried everything imaginable it seems - my PATA DVD burner was recognized and all the .kexts I needed were in there but no combinaion of bios settings in either AHCI or IDE on my WD SATA drive could make it boot. I tried erasing the old MBR and rewriting a new one , making sure the boot flag was set correctly etc. all I got was either the no boot devce, replace...bla blah" or "Boot0: eror" except for once or twice when it booted to the drive after the error only IF I kept the Kalyway 10.5.6 (or was it the Iatkos 10.5.7 - I tried them all). I've previousely built Hackintae on a P5LD2 and a somewhat weird OEM (?) P5LD2-TWM SE/S that gave me some trouble but eventually came around.

Finally i gave up and made the accursed device into an XP machine with the 640 Gig drive for a friend who'ed been pestering me to build her a computer. THe only oddity i encountered was it would only partition 132gigs at install - i had to partition and format the other 510 gigs after the install.

I've bought a P5W-DH-Deluxe instead to use my E6400 in because I've heard so many good things about its compatability.

Does anyone know if this board is a good bet for a retail install? That would be nice.

thanks,

Uglogirl (Denise)

Uglogirl (Denise)

Don't quite know why you are having such trouble with OSX installation on this board. No matter which distro I use or for that matter a retail installation - all work without a hitch for me.

A little more information on your setup would be helpful for us to diagnose the issues you are facing.

Don't quite know why you are having such trouble with OSX installation on this board. No matter which distro I use or for that matter a retail installation - all work without a hitch for me.

A little more information on your setup would be helpful for us to diagnose the issues you are facing.

Yes, I probably should have asked for help earlier instead of impulsively giving up and buying the P5w -DH Deluxe for $90. But my friend did need a computer and it works fine now with XP for her so I guess it is a moot point. I've just never been so frustrated since I built my first 286 in 1990! ha ha.

I got the MB from compgeeks for only $60 too, though they called it a GA-965 -DS3/S3 in the manual I guess it had to be compatible and I just ran out of patience too fast... four days and nights (most of them anyway!) I doubt that it would have performed noticably better than the ASUS even if I'd hung in there and got it going ok (which I'm sure I would have been able to do once I asked for some help).

thank you and I'll post if the Asus gives me horrible problems, which I doubt. I'm using a XFX Nvidia 8600, 4 gigs (2 x 2gigs) of A data ddr2 800 ram and a good solid Enhance 500 watt PS and a e6400 core2duo. i still need to buy a hard drive as all I have is an 80gig ATA lying about. Newegg should be able to help me out. :-)

thank you,

Uglogirl (Denise)

• 1 year later...

Hi

I followed the tutorial for the Ethernet.

After I finished and reboot I have no more link on the Connection.

and in the Network I see cable unplugged.

when I did the tutorial when I entered the command for the Extentions.mkext, I didn't find this

fie in the folder is that OK?

Please help.

10x