Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Leopard How-to (Updated 1/10)

Conroe Mac

412 posts in this topic

thanks conroe for the kext install help. I'll be following the ToH news too.

unfortunately where i used to use AppleHDA.kext to fix my audio in Tiger, it won't do jack here in Leo. Strangely, the ethernet worked out of the box and any attempt to fix audio made the ethernet stop working. I'd tell you what hardware I have but I don't even know how to get that info! :P

anyone feel like throwing me a bone so I can use Leo on my main drive soon?

thanks conroe for the kext install help. I'll be following the ToH news too.

unfortunately where i used to use AppleHDA.kext to fix my audio in Tiger, it won't do jack here in Leo. Strangely, the ethernet worked out of the box and any attempt to fix audio made the ethernet stop working. I'd tell you what hardware I have but I don't even know how to get that info! :P

anyone feel like throwing me a bone so I can use Leo on my main drive soon?

This thread is for GA-965P-DS3 motherboards only. If you have a GA-965P-DS3 motherboard, please read my first post for the answer. If not, please put a post in the OS X86 Installation forum. Then I might be able to help you. It can be found here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showforum=18 . The best way to go about finding an answer to your question is to start by clicking on the "solution" link in my signature.

|

|

\/

I am tracking down the kexts from the Brazilmac install. Two things to fix:

IDE drive recognition

Processor recognition

Could someone please check to see if a dualcore processor is correctly recognized in Brazilmac? Just go to About this Mac, hit the "more info" button, then tell me what it says under hardware overview.

965P-DS3 rev.1.0, BrazilMac install over a Jas 10.4.9 fresh install, sound working, Nvidia 7600GT recognized, ICH8 sata 3-4 ports not working, Jmicron sata ports working, Ide not installed.

System Profiler for cpu:

Model Name: Mac

Model Identifier: ACPI

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 1.81 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 2 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Had my Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 (rev 3.3) working with BrazilMac's initial post for a few days now. Everything worked out of the box except onboard Ethernet. That was fixed by ConroeMac's info (thanx!).

My question: Has anyone had any luck with a PCI based wireless card with this motherboard?

My only solution for a Netgear WG311T was to install older kexts for IO80211Family (v.1.5.4) and IONetworkingFamily (v1.5.1) and hack the plists. Even then, the usual solid booting with this board became flakey and I had to downgrade from WPA-PSK security to WEP on my AP. Anyone have comments?

I was running a PCI card wireless card for awhile. The performance wasn't great but it worked. I would carefully consult the wiki for compatibility and then purchase something which has a good track record. It's not too expensive to pick up a wireless card and it might be worth buying one to avoid the hassles of getting yours to work.

So do people have the (first two) ich8 SATA ports working in native mode? If so did you do anything special or did it just work? I'm still trying to figure out why they don't here. I was under the impression that they were supported natively from 10.4.10 on (and they are in my Tiger install).

"dmesg | grep AHCI" only returns messages about the jmicron ports (where I have to plug in my drive to boot Leopard). system.log mentions ICH once, I think from when I booted while plugged into the oriange ports with native mode disabled.

cat /var/log/system.log | grep ICH

Nov 1 04:00:50 localhost kernel[0]: Got boot device = IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/IDE1@1F,2/AppleIntelPIIXATARoot/PRIM@0/

AppleIntelICHxSATA/ATADeviceNub@0/IOATABlockStorageDriver/IOATABlockStorageDevice/

IOBlockStorageDriver/External Disk 0 Media/IOFDiskPartitionScheme/Untitled 2@2

What other diagnostics could I run or what other log files could I search?

For me, they simply work in native mode. I think you need to be running in AHCI though. I don't think they will run in IDE mode with native. With this, I get respectable xbench numbers, but nothing to brag about. I usually get about 70 in the disk test.

Of course you can also look at About this Mac and then Serial-ATA. That will tell you a little bit about your drive. Mine says:

Unknown AHCI Standard Controller:

Vendor: Unknown

Product: AHCI Standard Controller

Speed: 3.0 Gigabit

Description: AHCI Version 1.10 Supported

WDC WD1200JS-00MHB0:

Capacity: 111.79 GB

Model: WDC WD1200JS-00MHB0

Revision: 02.01C03

Serial Number: WD-WCANM4677140

Native Command Queuing: No

Removable Media: Yes

Detachable Drive: No

BSD Name: disk0

Mac OS 9 Drivers: No

Partition Map Type: MBR (Master Boot Record)

S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified

Volumes:

Mac OS:

Capacity: 29.3 GB

Available: 18.44 GB

Writable: Yes

File System: Journaled HFS+

BSD Name: disk0s2

Mount Point: /Volumes/Mac OS

Leopard:

Capacity: 28.87 GB

Available: 23.04 GB

Writable: Yes

File System: Journaled HFS+

BSD Name: disk0s4

Mount Point: /

I've been running native mode since 10.4.8.

SOLVED. see below

Thanks for the reply. In System Information: SATA none of the drives connected to the ICH8 are listed. I only see info related to the jmicron drives. The ich8 doesn't even seem to be recognized at all.

Regarding native mode: I guess I'm not even entirely sure what "native mode" means. From what I've read, the ich8 might not even do AHCI mode. So what does "native mode enabled/disabled" actually control? And is it worth even using those ports at all if they don't do AHCI/NCQ?

From Gigabyte's website:

Q: After updating to latest bios there is a new option in Bios setup menu called the “SATA AHCI mode”, does this mean Intel ICH8 supports AHCI function?

A: Only Intel Southbridge chipset model names that include a R/DO/DH will support AHCI and RAID functions. The function ICH8 AHCI can only be enabled under Vista. If you are using Windows XP/2000 please disable the function “SATA AHCI mode” in bios.

I guess I'm curious exactly which BIOS settings people are applying that relate to the ICH8. From what I understand, the AHCI/IDE/RAID settings relate to the JMicron ports, and only native mode enabled/disabled has to do with ICH8.

From the manual:

SATA Port0-3 Native Mode Enabled Set SATA Port0~3 to operate at Native IDE mode. Disabled Set SATA Port0~3 to operate at Legacy IDE mode.(Default value)

(emphasis added. No note of AHCI at all)

OnBoard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode This function allows users to decide the operating mode of the SATA ports controlled by the GIGABYTE SATA2 controller.

(the purple jmicron ports)

It really seems that using the orange ports means no AHCI at all. Still, at least for you the orange ports are working with native mode enabled (even if that isn't actually using AHCI), and it isn't for me.

OK, solved. Orange ports are now recognized in native mode.

I edited System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext/Contents/Info.plist

<key>ICH8 ATA/100</key>
               <dict>
                       <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
                       <string>com.apple.driver.AppleIntelPIIXATA</string>
                       <key>Controller Name</key>
                       <string>ICH8 ATA/100</string>
                       <key>IOClass</key>
                       <string>AppleIntelPIIXATARoot</string>
                       <key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
                       <string>0x28508086</string> 

I changed the last line to

<string>0x28508086 0x2363197b</string>

<dict>
                       <string>ICH8 SATA</string>
                       <key>IOClass</key>
                       <string>0x28288086</string> 

I changed the last line of that block to

<string>0x28288086 0x28258086 0x28208086</string>

Just goes to show the orange ports aren't AHCI at all. THey work now after editing a file that has to do with ATA (IDE).

Just out of curiosity Conroe, what does that file look like on your machine? If yours looks like mine after I changed it, I wonder why mine was different in the first place. If yours looks like mine did before I changed it, I wonder why it worked for you and not for me. Just a curiosity thing as it seems to work now :) Thanks for the excellent thread.

Hi!

I need some help with installing Leopard...

I have a 965P-DS4 with a SATA disk attached. The second partition of the disk (primary partition) is my OSX partition.

Until yesterday I had 10.4.10 installed on that partition and used Grub to boot it without any problems.

I then got a Leopard DVD (6.7GB dmg) and used Brazilmacs patch to create the Leo_Patched_DVD.iso file just as explained in the original Howto in post#1.

I wrote this iso to a dvd+rw (which works fine, btw) and booted from it. The installer came up and I used the disk utility to erase my former OSX partition (I have bootable backup on an old USB disk).

I then installed Leopard, everything worked fine, and after the final reboot I went back to the 10.4.10 system and applied Brazilmacs PostPatch script which also gave no errors.

Now when I try to boot Leopard, I get an error message from Grub saying "Error 13: Invalid or unsupported executable format". I seems there was no bootloader written to the OSX partition.

I have tried to rewrite the bootloader with fdisk in OSX using the reinit and update commands but without success.

When I look at the first 512 bytes of the partition with hexdump, it looks like

0000000    0000    0000    0000    0000    0000    0000    0000    0000

Looking at my old 10.4.10 partition, I noticed that it is supposed to end with

00001f0    0000    0000    0000    0000    0000    0000    0000    aa55

I tried copying this block from the 10.4.10 partition to the Leopard partition, but also without success.

Only Grub doesn't complain with error 13 anymore, but instead hangs after displaying a "Starting..." message.

I just reinstalled the whole thing using the steps described above and now I'm stuck at the same point.

Booting the install dvd again doesn't give me an option to boot from the hard drive.

Hitting F8 at the beginning gives me only one choice to boot, which is the install dvd itself.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

EDIT: I got it working now. I had to write the boot1h and boot file from BrazilMacs patch to the partition and use startupfiletool and bless to make it bootable.

My Experience with ToH-DVD GA-965P-DS3 Rev. 1.0:

1. Network is runnning out of the box

2. Sound works with Soundpatch from Pions DS3-4 Pack for 10.4.8 1.2

3. ATI X1900XT (ID: 0x7249) is doing well with Jcools driver 0.2 for Leo (digital DVI-Out)

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...0&start=440

http://www.happyupload.com/download.php?fi...28a8cadbb8df61c

Not working:

1. Ralink PCI-WLAN-Card with their driver for tiger. Got connection to AP, but didn't get IP-Adress. Even manually adress didn't work

2. no IDE so far

3. only firts two sata-ports are working, like with tiger

4. My Core Quad is recognized as Core Solo, but activity monitor shows 4 cores

5. No Power-Off after shutdown,

6. No Boot from active leo partiton, ToH-script put it as active, but no boot. after setting partition 2 (Tiger with darwin boot-loader) as active i can choose leo-partition from the boot menu and leo ist starting.

Performance:

Core-2-Quad 2,4 GHz 4 GB Ram 667 MHz

Geekbench-64 5319

Geekbench-32 4713

X-Bench 1.3:

Results 127.55

System Info

Xbench Version 1.3

System Version 10.5 (9A581)

Physical RAM 4096 MB

Model ACPI

Drive Type ST3250823AS

CPU Test 139.59

Thread Test 197.47

Memory Test 184.74

Quartz Graphics Test 223.96

OpenGL Graphics Test 220.99

User Interface Test 373.07

Disk Test 39.11

Ey everyone. I have a really weird problem. I can only start OS X in verbose mode. If I don't it kernel panics. I'm using the Toh release that other then the verbose thing works just fine. Could anyone tell me what this could be? If not, is there a way to always start verbose?

I'm wondering what would happen to the ToH iso if we apply the following script using BrazilMac's files.. :)

#!/bin/sh

APDIR=/Users/XXX/Desktop
DMG="/Users/XXX/Desktop/ToH_x86_9A581_RC2.iso"

cpfix () 
{
   cp -r ./files/$1 $2
   chown -R root:wheel $2
   chmod -R 755 $2
}

cd $APDIR

echo Mounting new ISO read-write...
hdiutil attach -readwrite $APDIR/leopard.iso -owners on

echo Waiting for leopard.iso to be mounted...
sleep 5

echo Renaming image to osx86dvd...
diskutil rename /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/ osx86dvd

##### Remove old files #####

echo Removing OSInstall...
rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

echo Removing Kernel files...
rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/mach_kernel
rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/mach.sys

echo Removing Extensions...
rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions.mkext
rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext
rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext
rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext
rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/Natit.kext

rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext
rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext
rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext
rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.kext
rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext
rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIA.kext
rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext
rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/IOHDIXController.kext

rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHWSensor.kext

echo Removing files Needed for kernels without power_management_init called
rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext 
rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/ossmgr.plist

##### Adding necessary files #####

echo Replacing OSInstall.mpkg...
cpfix OSInstall.mpkg /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

echo Replacing Kernel...
cpfix mach_kernel /Volumes/osx86dvd/mach_kernel

echo Replacing extensions...
for kext in `ls files/Extensions`; do
cpfix Extensions/$kext /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/
done

#echo Editing IOATAFamily.kext Info.plist, ICH2-ICH6 ATA Fix
#cpfix Info.plist /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext/Contents/Info.plist

echo ALL PATCHES APPLIED !!!

I'm wondering what would happen to the ToH iso if we apply the following script using BrazilMac's files.. :rolleyes:

#!/bin/sh

APDIR=/Users/XXX/Desktop
DMG="/Users/XXX/Desktop/ToH_x86_9A581_RC2.iso"

cpfix () 
{
   cp -r ./files/$1 $2
   chown -R root:wheel $2
   chmod -R 755 $2
}

cd $APDIR

echo Mounting new ISO read-write...
hdiutil attach -readwrite $APDIR/leopard.iso -owners on

echo Waiting for leopard.iso to be mounted...
sleep 5

echo Renaming image to osx86dvd...
diskutil rename /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/ osx86dvd

##### Remove old files #####

echo Removing OSInstall...
rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

echo Removing Kernel files...
rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/mach_kernel
rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/mach.sys

echo Removing Extensions...
rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions.mkext
rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext
rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext
rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext
rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/Natit.kext

rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext
rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext
rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext
rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.kext
rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext
rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIA.kext
rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext
rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/IOHDIXController.kext

rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHWSensor.kext

echo Removing files Needed for kernels without power_management_init called
rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext 
rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/ossmgr.plist

##### Adding necessary files #####

echo Replacing OSInstall.mpkg...
cpfix OSInstall.mpkg /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

echo Replacing Kernel...
cpfix mach_kernel /Volumes/osx86dvd/mach_kernel

echo Replacing extensions...
for kext in `ls files/Extensions`; do
cpfix Extensions/$kext /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/
done

#echo Editing IOATAFamily.kext Info.plist, ICH2-ICH6 ATA Fix
#cpfix Info.plist /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext/Contents/Info.plist

echo ALL PATCHES APPLIED !!!

haha, it would probably work. I think it's important to figure out exactly which kexts matter for us though. That way when the DVD comes out, we can point to the kexts that we need included rather than saying, "Brazilmac works, how come your DVD doesn't work?"

haha, it would probably work. I think it's important to figure out exactly which kexts matter for us though. That way when the DVD comes out, we can point to the kexts that we need included rather than saying, "Brazilmac works, how come your DVD doesn't work?"

I guess the ones included in the script above. Maybe also include yukon2 for latest revisions.

If anyone can test this, let us know.

If this works all we need to add is Kalyway's "enjoy package" to be executed at the end of OSInstall.mpkg to fix MBR.

My Bios settings are the following:

SATA AHCI Mode: AHCI

SATA PORT 0-3 Native Mode: Enabled

Onboard SATA/IDE: Enabled

Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode: IDE (I have an IDE HD that I use)

It could that you're right about OS X not using AHCI mode. What's confusing is that when the computer boots, it loads my SATA HD and optical drive under the AHCI portion and not the IDE portion. If you watch, you can see IDE drives are loaded first, then AHCI second in another screen.

This is from my 10.4.8. If you want, I'll post my Leopard as well. I get similar results with either. I remember playing with device IDs a long time ago in 10.4.8 and I was able to turn NCQ on. However, I haven't played with that one in awhile. I haven't noticed any difference in speed by switching to the JMB ports. As you see from my info I post above, my AHCI is not recognized, it simply uses a generic driver. There's endless alleys in playing with hardware so it's nice to have lots of people working out different problems. As it is now, I've got my hands full with Leopard and I'm not sure how much time I can continue to devote to this project every day from real life. =)

If I find some time, I'll play with the JMB and device ids to see if I can get the AHCI working on the SATA II. I do remember that AHCI support did not come out for this board until a few Bios revisions in. Could it be that ICH8 does support AHCI and that the Gigabyte faq is old? I wonder what the gains would be on the JMB ports in terms of speed.

<key>ICH8 ATA/100</key>

<dict>

<string>ICH8 ATA/100</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>2000</integer>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

<key>Supported Transfer Modes</key>

<string>0x3f061d</string>

<key>ICH8 Serial ATA</key>

<dict>

<string>ICH8 SATA</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>0x28288086</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>2000</integer>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

<key>PCS Port Map</key>

<data>

kgGTAZICkwKSBJMEkgiTCA==

</data>

<key>Serial ATA</key>

<true/>

<key>Supported Transfer Modes</key>

<string>0x3f061d</string>

</dict>

I did this. Used BrazilMacs updated PostPatch.sh. Before executing the patch I just replaced all kexts from my ToH-Installation except AppleSMBIOS.kext and dsmos.kext. After applying the patch my Core2 Quad got receognized. But system sill doesn't power off after shutdown. Network, Sound were still working. Only the Jcool-ATI-Driver has to be reinsatalled.

Hello, I am kind of new to Max OS on x86 think.

I was trying to install uphuck 10.4.9 (with 10.4.10 upgrade) v 1.3 on my 965P-DS3.

But several problems happened before I saw the blue installation screen:

1. bug launchd.c:1990:17 ...

2. AppleHDA.kext failed

3. Can't mount the 2 SATA hard drives

But still the installation screen shows up and I erased the target partition ( I have to change bios for HD to see the disk at correct size other wise they all show as 128G) and installed it.

After restarting the machine, I changed boot sequence and use HD as the first one, then it told me:

HFS+ partition error

I went back to boot up the computer using the DVD disk and I can see the two partitions to boot up (disk (0,0), disk(0,1)). But I can't boot into OSX, it just kept on tell me something wrong, but I can't see it since it blinked too fast.

Could anyone give me some clues about the problem?

Also my hardware configurations:

MB: gigabyte P965-DS3 bios F10

Memory: 2GB

CPU: Core2Duo E4300

Video Card: Radeon 850XT

Hard drive: 200G SATA and 400G SATA

I have windows vista installed and the first (200G) HD has the following partition:

158G for Windows vista, 32G for OSX.

Several things I have in mind now after reading this guide:

1) HD set up, I will double check the connect is on purple

2) I only have IDE dvd rom, is this ok to install this specific disk?

3) double check erase, make sure it's MBR.

Any other suggestions?

I can't install Leo on my DS3.

In fact, I can't access to the installation part, I boot the DVD, lots of HFS+ files load, then I get the verbose stuff, cpu detected, etc, but it stops and I get a 'Still waiting root device'

I've tried with Orange (ICH8) (with/without ACHI) and Purple (JMicron) (with IDE and AHCI) ports, but no luck. I tried using, for the DVD drive, the IDE cable, and my IDE to ATA conversor too, the first connected to onboard jmicron, and the second one connected to ICH8 ports (orange ones).

What happens?, the problems should be in the DVD controller, but I dunno where.

Thanks in advance.

I can't install Leo on my DS3.

In fact, I can't access to the installation part, I boot the DVD, lots of HFS+ files load, then I get the verbose stuff, cpu detected, etc, but it stops and I get a 'Still waiting root device'

I've tried with Orange (ICH8) (with/without ACHI) and Purple (JMicron) (with IDE and AHCI) ports, but no luck. I tried using, for the DVD drive, the IDE cable, and my IDE to ATA conversor too, the first connected to onboard jmicron, and the second one connected to ICH8 ports (orange ones).

What happens?, the problems should be in the DVD controller, but I dunno where.

Thanks in advance.

I had the same IDE DVD booting problems before and was solved by using a USB DVD drive. It is sometimes tricky to boot off something in the IDE with OSX and this particular board. On the other hand it may be Bios settings.

I was running a PCI card wireless card for awhile. The performance wasn't great but it worked. I would carefully consult the wiki for compatibility and then purchase something which has a good track record. It's not too expensive to pick up a wireless card and it might be worth buying one to avoid the hassles of getting yours to work.

Thanks Conroe. My Netgear card worked fine in Tiger up to 10.4.8 (and up to 10.4.10 if I used the old kexts -- WPA-PSK with no performance problems). Is there a Leo HCL that has wireless card info somewhere? I only see a wiki placeholder at the moment.

It's still too soon for an authoritative HCL for Leopard. Very few are even running leopard. Of course, you can always add to the HCL so if you test something and find it does or doesn't work, it helps out the HCL for other people.

EDIT BELOW

Could it be that ICH8 does support AHCI and that the Gigabyte faq is old? I wonder what the gains would be on the JMB ports in terms of speed.

<key>ICH8 ATA/100</key>

It is possible the Gigabyte FAQ isn't entirely correct. Internally I don't think the ICH8 is that much different from the ICH8R; the hardware should be there to support AHCI. The FAQ mentioned that after upgrading the BIOS the AHCI option would become available. It warned not to use at, as the ICH8 wouldn't work with it, but that might not be entirely true :)

Looking at your .kext, it is the same as mine before I patched it, so it seems you really aren't using the orange ports in ATA mode. This is excellent. I'll try applying the latest BIOS then. I was going to before I got it to work by editing the .kext. I hope AHCI works, 'cause right now the orange ports are hella slow (according to xbench) compared to the purple ports. It would be awesome to get AHCI working, and from what you've been posting, it looks possible one way or another. The fun could be from getting Windows to work with AHCI, though I doubt win2k3 will have much of a problem.

I'll report back afterwards, and if my orange ports get any faster and seem to be using AHCI. Otherwise, at least the purple stuff works.

EDIT

BIOS update worked. Orange ports are now working in AHCI. haha @intel. Haven't tried Windows yet. Anyway, I get a much better xbench hard drive score now than I did with orange ports in IDE mode. It's still not quite as good as the score with the purple ports, but it's not bad.

But now boot takes longer! After the BIOS screen, and before the JMicron screen (that shows my connected dvd burner) the comp runs some sort of AHCI scan. It takes at least 10-15 seconds and is very annoying. Did you notice this after BIOS update and enabling AHCI mode for the ICH8?

I think I can live with it ;) If I change my mind, there are still the purple ports after all.