Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Leopard How-to (Updated 1/10)

Conroe Mac

412 posts in this topic

Hi there. Here's my experience.

I have a 965P DS3 and from what I can tell it's a rev 1.0 (although not entirely sure)

Used the Kalyway and BrazilMac patched retail method and also EFI 5.2 (upgraded to 10.5.1 using software update without problems). Network and video worked out the box.

I now have a shiny new mac which runs great. Only issues so far are:

- Only line out working on sound (after trying the ALC883 thing on page 1 of this thread).

- None of the orange SATA ports are working (currently have 2 x SATA plugged into the purple ones).

- Restart doesn't seem to work.

- Sleep is tempramental.

- Shutdown occaisonally leaves the system fans on.

- Mouse a littler erratic? (will try steermouse and see if that helps things) http://plentycom.jp/en/steermouse/

I really need to get my orange SATA ports to work - I think these are controlled by the Intel ICH8 thingy. Any ideas? I have this EFI thing installed so not sure if this affects things. My DVD drive is SATA but I also have an IDE one I could use so could always go that route if needs be.

*edit* Found some ICH8 drivers - will try this evening.

Also would love to get my SPDIF (coax) working but the ALC883 fix thing doesn't seem to do this. In Sound preferences all I have is a Line Out option - annoying. Any ideas?

Thanks - if anyone has any questions about my setup/experience please ask!

*edit* Any idea why my hard drives have the orange external drive icon on my desktop? I thought they should have an internal drive icon? Any ideas?

EagleX

I've read you posts, i see that in previous posts you stated to have AMD based board.

You switched to gigabyte recently?

If its the Yukon2 you are talking about, then here's the Info.plist.txt from it.

Uncle_Pinny

Hi! Good to see another person, that has working install.

Regardless the fact, that i don't wan to be rude - answers to all you questions and problems (except for mouse) are already in the topic.

See the big red ending of my signature? 14 pages isn't really that much.

Mouse -> what kind is it? PS/2 or USB and some more details about it (manufacturer series etc.)

Mobo revision -> it is written on the board itself (lower left corner under the PCI slot), but since you have OTB audio, it is 99.9% rev 1.0.

cpasjuste

There is no solution for reboot for the time being (at least not from me).

Power management(reboot/shutdown/sleep) is YMMV.

For most users, three items matters: the kernel, AppleACPIPlatform.kext and AppleSMBIOS.kext.

Also, depends on the video cards, NVidia and GMA950 users are reported to have better luck here.

-> taken from here.

I dont have time to test it right now (semester fall -> damm exams =( ).

So if you would like to test it, your help here will be highly appreciated.

I have also noticed that ugly "unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35" string in your terminal output.

I assume, that you have installed pc_efi v80. Did you use my guide? If so, did you use any other kexts then there are in the archive?

Thanx.

P.S. in addition to my previous terminal output, as you said -> no final slash in parameter $TE

mygateway:~ user$ sudo -s
Password:
bash-3.2# TE=/Volumes/Vault\ 13

bash-3.2# echo $TE
/Volumes/Vault 13

bash-3.2# diskutil repairpermissions $TE
Disk Utility Tool
Usage:  diskutil verifyPermissions [-plist] MountPoint|DiskIdentifier|DeviceNode
	diskutil repairPermissions [-plist] MountPoint|DiskIdentifier|DeviceNode
Verify or repair the permissions of a Mac OS X boot volume.
Ownership of the affected disk is required.
Example:  diskutil verifyPermissions /

bash-3.2# diskutil repairpermissions $TE/
Disk Utility Tool
Usage:  diskutil verifyPermissions [-plist] MountPoint|DiskIdentifier|DeviceNode
	diskutil repairPermissions [-plist] MountPoint|DiskIdentifier|DeviceNode
Verify or repair the permissions of a Mac OS X boot volume.
Ownership of the affected disk is required.
Example:  diskutil verifyPermissions /

bash-3.2# diskutil repairpermissions /Volumes/Vault\ 13
Started verify/repair permissions on disk disk1s2 Vault 13
[ - 0%................................................... ] ^C

-_-

Thanks Ghost.

Got the SATA ports to work using an ICH8 SATA installer - can't remember where I got it from but it worked right away (with a tweak in the BIOS). I have the files should anyone have a similar problem - can always upload or email.

Sound - still need to get my spdif coax to work but will keep trying. GHOST - your digital outs working? In sound prefs I just have the one option of Line Out)....?

I'm lost a bit on EFI - I am using 5.2 - would there be any benefits to upgrading to 8.0? Any potential irrepairable messing up of my system likely through this?

Thanks again - any questions about how I did this or that just ask.

I managed to install Leo pre/post-patching the HDD itself. Using brazilmac postpatch (as a reference) and info from punkrockml13.

(with one interesting output about shutdown) - i'll write about it later.

Concern this info as a guide.

My system is only a reference, so where you have different setup (like hdd or folder placement - just edit it).

I'll update this post in a process of testing the method.

is it still necessary to install vanilla after doing this installation? What about efi_v80?

For anyone who needs to get their orange SATA ports working on the 965p I use this patch located here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...=63305&st=0

It's for Tiger but works perfectly. It's an installer as well.

I did have to go into the bios and enable/disable native mode though after install/change over from ahci mode etc. Can't remember what exactly but it got it to work. I now have nice internal drive icons on my desktop rather than orange external drive icons and all drives and ports working.

Hurrah!

OK, first of all, thanks to all of you for these great forum/topic! :wacko:

I had may problems installing Leo on this mobo, I will post my story in a while.

Just one question before destroy everything!

I installed Leo with the method posted by A.I.Ghost, so I should have EFI v8.0 installed with the original (?) 10.5 kernel.

Can I update to 10.5.1 simply using the Apple Update Software? If it's an affirmative, will it be the same with future updates?

Thanks

OK, first of all, thanks to all of you for these great forum/topic! ;)

I had may problems installing Leo on this mobo, I will post my story in a while.

Just one question before destroy everything!

I installed Leo with the method posted by A.I.Ghost, so I should have EFI v8.0 installed with the original (?) 10.5 kernel.

Can I update to 10.5.1 simply using the Apple Update Software? If it's an affirmative, will it be the same with future updates?

Thanks

In most cases, you should be safe to update through the Software Update. I upgraded to 10.5.1 through Software Update with no problem whatsoever.

:)

I use -f boot to force_load all kexts. Helped me numerous times when i was getting errors or kernel panic.

You'll need it only once - upon first boot.

Never tried dualbooting - i don't like several systems on one HDD. Always used mobo's boot menu to choose proper HDD to svitch_boot between Tiger and Kubuntu.

Also, as far as i know boot0 and boot1h (i used to setup GUID) are not capable of hybrid booting, regardless v80 is. So if you want several OS', then you'll have to use install LEO on MBR with v80.

I followed your method to install Leopard on GUID partition + EFI. Finally, I have a working 10.5 installation!!!

Just few comments:

1. probably many of you already now this, but instead of pushing F8 and then -v every time, just open the file com.apple.Boot.plist in the directory /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and change:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>

to

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v</string>

2. regarding multi-boot, I suggest you to follow this forum: http://forum.netkas.org/

In particular, I found:

- http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,18.0.html -> it seems to suggest a sort of chain0 method, which is perfect for my situation (2HD, 1 for Leo 1 for XP), tomorrow I will try

- http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2.0.html -> Look at this if you want to put Mac and Win on the same HD using GUID

3. BTW, when I push F8 in Darwin Boot Loader, I can choose he first partition of the GUID formatted HD. Obviously there is no OS inside, so the system ask me to reboot. If I push again, it will switch to the next HD, so Windows starts loading.

Tomorrow I hope to have time to post my Leopard installation issues and solutions (mainly based on yours...)

Buona notte!

PS: One suggestion for ConroeMac: this tread is plenty of different installation procedures; it would be very useful if you can link to all of them in your first topic (you did it for 3 of them, including yours)

After installing ToH over JaS 10.4.8 and adding Vanilla and EFI 51, geekbench would recognized the computer as a mac, with this last install by A.I.Ghost, which is pretty straight forward, geekbench recognize it as a hackintosh. I wonder if i did something wrong...

Lone Wolf

I used Mac Pilot to set the system boot in verbose.

Thanx for information ;-)

jp266one

Odd enough... my installation is recognized as Mac Pro.

Did you make any changes?

Or maybe, its just a new version of geekbench? I would not be surprised, if they changed the detection system, because of pc_efi.

I followed your method to install Leopard on GUID partition + EFI. Finally, I have a working 10.5 installation!!!

Just few comments:

1. probably many of you already now this, but instead of pushing F8 and then -v every time, just open the file com.apple.Boot.plist in the directory /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and change:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>

to

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v</string>

Or, you could set up a timeout delay, where you enter how many seconds you wish the Darwin prompt to be available before it begins to boot the drive. For example:

<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>

Step ( A )

1) partitioning disk1 as GUID - Journaled. Two partitions -> "Vault 13" and "Vault 15" (im fanatic Fallout fan ;-) )

Is it really needed to format using GUID rather then MBR?

I just finished to setup Leo, I don't want to start over again to try if it is possible :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf

Guide post updated, answer is there ;-)

Great, but I still don't understand which is the advantage of using GUID instead of MBR (apart being 'more similar to a Mac...')...

Update

Ok, I think I found the answer myself :(

There certainly aren't any performance or stability advantages one way or another. The only practical advantage I can think of is the use of the Boot Camp Wizard. I don't think you can use it or resize partitions on an MBR volume. I may be mistaken though.

OK, I'm going to describe my experience, hoping it will be useful.

As A.I.Ghost and some one else on this thread, I tried many different ways of installing Leo on a DS3 mainboard: BrazilMac pre & post-patch, ToH, ToH + BrazilMac post-path, changing the position of the HD and the BIOS setup, using Kaliway CD, etc...

All of them finished always in the same way: an un-bootable Leo installation! Finally, I found 3 different solution. It could be that many of the problems I got were related to the Matrox HD, which is an 'old' SATA1...

Here is my system characteristics:

- GA965P-DS3 Rev. 2, Bios ver. F10

- Intel Core2Duo 2.13GHz (I think it's a T6400, but I'm not sure!)

- Seagate 320GB SATA2 with WinXP

- Maxtor 80GB SATA with OSX - previously Tiger, now Leo ;-)

- Samsung (not sure) DVD-DL SATA, recognized as TSSTcorpCD/DVDW SH-S183A

- Ati Radeon X1950XT PCIe (ID: 7244)

Other thinks not direcly related (I think) to the OSX installation:

- 2GB Ram DDR2 800MHz, G.Skill brand

- Bluetooth USB dongle

- SoundBlaster Audigy 2

I started from a working Tiger + XP system, I don't remember how I did it (damn!!!), but I remember it was quite tricky: that's another reason to write this post, maybe next time I'll now what to do!

The XP HD and DVD were connected to the first 2 orange port, the OSX HD to the first purple. BIOS settings were AHCI and Native on, JMicron sets on AHCI.

BTW, in order to let WinXP starts in AHCI Native mode, you need to:

1) install it with everything switch off (default BIOS setup), HD on orange port

2) then you move the XP HD on the purple port, with another peripheral connected to the orange ones

3) in BIOS, you must switch on AHCI + Native and JMicron (don't remember if IDE, AHCI/IDE or AHCI, I guess the latter)

4) Windows should start fine and it will detect new hardware. Now you have to use the Intel modified driver for ICH8 controller that you can get here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...439&st=179#

I tried to install these drivers when Windows install, it didn't work!

OK, now I switch to the Leo installation. My desire is to get a 1-partition Leo install: I succeeded with 3 different methods, all of these with a ToH DVD. Maybe they also work with the BrazilMac pre-patched DVD: for sure, the procedure BrazilMac pre & post-patch + make HD bootable didn't work for me, so I switched to ToH (and again, simply using the ToH install didn't work...)

As always, this is based on my experience: I understood that the installation issues/solutions are different for each configuration.

I always disconnected the WinXP HD, just to be sure not to delete everything!

--------------------------------------------------

First method - Update from Tiger

You need:

1) Tiger DVD or working installation (in my case, JaS 10.4.8)

2) ToH RC2 DVD

3) USB PenDrive with BrazilMac post-path files on it

Installation:

1) Connect HD to the purple port and DVD on orange one; in BIOS, switch on the JMicron controller and ICH8 set to AHCI + Native

2) If you don't have Tiger, boot with its DVD. Once in the install process, open Disk Utility and format the HD as you prefer (I used MBR with 1 partition). Then, install it with all package you want and reboot

3) Boot the ToH DVD, don't do anything to the HD, just upgrade OSX and reboot again

4) Boot again with ToH DVD, once at the installer screen plug in the PenDrive and start the Terminal, then apply the BrazilMac post-patch and reboot

5) Finally, you should be able to boot into Leopard

Pros: you get a MBR install, you can install multiple OS and dual-booting is simple

Pros: simplest ways you already have Tiger

Cons: otherwise it's longer then the other 2

Cons: personally, I don't like to update OS, I prefer a clean install

Second method - Install on MBR partition

You need:

1) Kaliway 'Make Bootable CD'

2) ToH RC2 DVD

3) USB PenDrive with BrazilMac post-path files on it

Installation:

1) Connect HD and DVD on orange ports; in the BIOS, switch off the JMicron controller, otherwise Kali CD don't work; the setup of the ICH8 didn't make any difference, so it was AHCI + Native

2) Boot with Kaliway CD, once in the install process, open Disk Utility and format the HD as I prefer (I used MBR with 1 partition). Continue with the Kali install and then reboot

3) Move the HD to the purple ports; in BIOS, switch on the JMciron in AHCI mode: if you don't do this, ToH DVD won't find any HD

4) Boot the ToH DVD, don't do anything to the HD, just install the System with the packages you prefer and reboot again

5) Boot again with ToH DVD, once at the installer screen plug in the PenDrive and start the Terminal, then apply the BrazilMac post-patch and reboot

6) Finally, you should be able to boot into Leopard

Pros: you don't need to have/install Tiger

Pros: you get a clean MBR install, you can install multiple OS and dual-booting is simple

Cons: you need to change the connections of your peripherals

Cons: it's not a fast install

Third method - Install on GUID partition

You need:

1) ToH RC2 DVD

2) USB PenDrive with A.I.Ghost per and post-path files on it

Basically, this is the solution posted by A.I.Ghost, thanks a lot!!!

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...076&st=261#

Differences:

1) Internal SATA DVD connected to orange 1

2) Internal SATA HD (where Leo is going to be installed) connected to purple 0

3) I used 1 partition

5) booted from ToH DVD to apply pre and post-patches

4) Internal SATA2 HD with XP disconnected during installation process, re-connected to orange 0 once Leo is setup and running

Pros: Faster installation

Pros: you get pc_efi and vanilla kernel

Cons: HD is partitioned using GUID, you cannot easily install other OS on it

Cons: I still have to find a WinXP dual-boot solution

Summarizing

I'm using 10.5.1 installed with the third method.

Work out-of-the-box:

- PS2 keyboard

- Bluetooth USB dongle

- Windows partitions on the HD connected to orange 0

Audio: I guess there is no solution for the SB Audigy; ALC888 works with the package posted by ConroeMac in the first post

Video: I got full support installing the JCCool package: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=37175

Boot process: as noted by A.I.Ghost, if you start Leo in verbose mode the system will shutdown properly, so I modified the com.apple.Boot.plist to do it automatically. Also, I set 10sec timeout: you can select the first GUID partition (I guess it's reserved for EFI on real Macs), it don't find any bootable system so it boots from the next peripheral, which in my case is the Win HD. To modify the file, open a Terminal and write:

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

here is mine:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>mach_kernel</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>-v</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>10</string>
</dict>
</plist>

To do (at least, from my point of view ):

- Reboot and Wake-up from sleep

- Shutdown without verbose

- Dual-boot with WinXP with GUID: I will try to find a solution (grub, lilo, chain0 equivalent...), otherwise I will switch to MBR

OK, I think that's all! If you have any questions and/or suggestions, feel free to ask.

Ciao

jp266one

Odd enough... my installation is recognized as Mac Pro.

Did you make any changes?

Or maybe, its just a new version of geekbench? I would not be surprised, if they changed the detection system, because of pc_efi.

I didn't change anything. My system profile does show Model Name: Mac, Model Identifier: Mac Pro and it even has a Boot ROM Version: Hack.int.0sh and a Serial number, but Geekbench says it is a hackintosh. On my other install over JaS puls vanilla and efi 51, says Model Name: Mac and thats it. Geekbench shows nothing under model. Is vanilla built into your install or just efi?

Hi people.

I've now got every drive connected to my Orange ports rather than purple and it boots up even faster (about 20-25 secs). Magic.

I'm having awful problems trying to install Parallels though which keeps on hanging on install / kernal panics etc - Anyone had similar experiences? Issue with me having 4gb ram?

Quick questions should anyone know - any idea what upgrading to EFI 8 would bring me - fix shutdown/sleep/restart issue perhaps?

Also, I'm currently using EF5.2 - I've seen all this talk about vanilla kernals etc. Would that be what I am running if I'm on EFI? I installed using a retail DVD patched with BrazilMac. Once installed I whacked in EFI and that was that. I didn't at any point do the Brazil postpatch. Am I vanilla? How can I tell? Very confusing....

Thanks in advance!

Uncle_Pinny

q - I'm having awful problems trying to install Parallels though which keeps on hanging on install / kernal panics etc - Anyone had similar experiences? Issue with me having 4gb ram?

a - It's not a parallels problem, it is the 4gb of RAM present in your system. In your installation you apparently use JMicron kext, which is responsible for problems with 4gb of ram on any gigabyte motherboard.

q - Quick questions should anyone know - any idea what upgrading to EFI 8 would bring me - fix shutdown/sleep/restart issue perhaps?

a - i've answered this question in my guide (how-to install v80 pc_efi) just on the previous page of this discussion.

a - You will find kernel version along with all kexts versions in the "system profiler", under the Applications/Utilities

Thanks Ghost - sorry about the repeating of the questions - I read the info on the GUID EFI stuff you listed but I didn't think that that was all that the new version did - I can't see any info as to whether the new version would help the restart issues etc but from what I've seen so far it won't. I do try to read through things but it's hard to take in every single point.

Regards the kernel version - I'll have a look and find out although I'm not expecting it to just say 'vanilla kernel' :(

The Parallels problem - this would most likely be it - I installed it fine and was using it without problem but that was before I put the rest of my ram in (I had read here 4gb may cause some leopard problems so installed with 2gb). Now I've installed the extra memory it causes all sorts of crashes and panics when trying to install xp/use xp.

I will try out VMware Fusion instead and see if that works - you reckon it will?

Thanks again - I am trying to read everything prior to posting but as like most people I'm not reading every single line written but rather scanning through posts trying to find relevant info.

Still need to try and sort my ALC883 issues - having another go tonight!

I will try out VMware Fusion instead and see if that works - you reckon it will?

As i said before, it is the JMicron related problem, neither the Parallels, nor the VMvare...

You cad do an easy test -> start photoshop or smth similar and load some really heavy pictures... -> oops, restart :-)

4gb and XP is a different problem.

Since windows is 32-bit based, it can use 4gb of memory in total, cuz 2^32=4gb. But you have to realize, that some memory is reserved by processor and some by your video card and some by the system itself.

It might be a stability problem too (but the solution won't make your mac work with 4gb either -> JMicron...).

I suggest you to flash your bios to the newest version (you can always find the new bios on gigabyte page). Also, mind telling the exact memory specs? (manufacturer, default freq., default CL, default voltage etc.?). There might be a problem too, worked with PC hardware for too long to know, that sometimes two good memory sticks just wont work together whatever you do.

I can't see any info as to whether the new version would help the restart issues etc

Really? Read closely the questions & answers section.

As i wrote at the beginning of that post -> i'll update it in the process, so i'm updating it from time to time actually.

I'll try the PS thing when I get back. Haven't been able to sit and do any PS or After Effects stuff yet as have been busy.

My memory?

GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400C5 800MHz Value DDR2 Dual Channel Kit (GX22GB6400DC)

OcUK 2GB (2x1GB) PC2-6400C5 800MHz DDR2 Dual Channel Kit

The latency - not too sure but there were a lot of 5's -5-5-5-5 in the description when I bought it.

I've yet to have any problems with stability except when trying to use Parallels (set up to give just 1024mb of memory to XP). When I've installed Parallels the My Computer page states only that 1024mb.

Bios update? I'll do this but I'm worried as to whether it will affect my setup and ruin my lovely working Leopard! It seems happy with the 4gb at the moment but I guess I'll fire up PS and see if it's really happy later this weekend.