Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Leopard How-to (Updated 1/10)

Conroe Mac

412 posts in this topic

Sabr

And do you have JMicron kext present in the system?

I ask you, if you can do some testing for us all, can you just load your ram with something huge, like parallels, photoshop and some pics in raw format and so on?

I was going to upgrade to 4 gigs, but since many people had this 4gig problem, i stopped myself.

Uncle_Pinny

The fact that you have rams from different manufacturers is apparently the problem.

Geil are native 2.1V and OcUK are 1.8V native. So your mobo might not power enough Geil, or over-voltage OcUK (less probable, cuz OcUK are designed to work 2.1V as well)

Another thing, that OcUK are made of Elixir/Elpida chips, while Geil afaik are made from Infineon.

I suggest you try some non-OS memory test, to see wazzup with it :blink:

Sabr

And do you have JMicron kext present in the system?

I ask you, if you can do some testing for us all, can you just load your ram with something huge, like parallels, photoshop and some pics in raw format and so on?

I was going to upgrade to 4 gigs, but since many people had this 4gig problem, i stopped myself.

Well, I'm not installing Parallels, but I'll see what I can do with regards to Photoshop... Where/how do I get pics in raw format?

memory.jpg

I have quicktime playing 8 videos, photoshop open with 17 1900x1200 pics, itunes playing music, safari, colloquy, candybar. I still have 2.1GB free...

Oh... i though you'd know since you have so much ram :-D

raw is basic camera format you work with in aperture (single picture might have tenths of megabytes in size)

I cant think of a way, how to use 4 gigs without digital editing... i assume, you don't use Maya or Lightwave3D or anything similar?

Well, you just have to break 3.21 gig barrier, to got at least some errors

Oh... i though you'd know since you have so much ram :-Draw is basic camera format you work with in aperture (single picture might have tenths of megabytes in size)I cant think of a way, how to use 4 gigs without digital editing... i assume, you don't use Maya or Lightwave3D or anything similar?Well, you just have to break 3.21 gig barrier, to got at least some errors

hmm, ok.I have an idea of what to do in photoshop... 1000DPI 5000x5000 images.... :blink:

Well, I guess you are right... This was as close as I could get:

nearlythere.jpg

I got to a point where Photoshop started saying stuff like "Your startup disk is almost full", etc... I went to take a screenshot of it and it wouldn't let me. After I created one more 10000x10000 (DPI @ 1000), it crashed. With the iTunes music skipping round and round and round...:blink:

Sabr

So photoshop crashed or the system, i didn't get it? :blink:

Asking because people were describing system failure similar to kernel panic or just a sys. reboot.

Everybody

Writing this post from a fresh new install of efi_v80 using my guide.

As i thought, they changed the detection system: first is an old one (2.0.4) second new (2.0.8b)

oldnewvp5.png

On the other hand, my AppleYukon2 refuse to work... whatta? :rolleyes:

So it looks like hackintosh is still a little leo-kitty, rather that the grown leopard... too many issues for unknown reason.

One more thing, looks like restart is now worknig. I'll test it, and then update the guide post so it is 100% accurate ;)

Sabr

So photoshop crashed or the system, i didn't get it? :(

Asking because people were describing system failure similar to kernel panic or just a sys. reboot.

System failure - similar to Kernel Panic.

Sabr

Dammit... so either JMicron ports or 4gigs of RAM :(

Everybody

Good news, while digging the irc i've come across the reboot fix. After a little testing i can confirm it works for my mobo. It's up to you now, to test it on any other revision.

I've updated the guide, so the file is already in it. For newcomers reboot will work out of the box.

Haven't test non-verbose(normal) boot though.

For others who already installed with my guide its attached to the message.

AppleACPIPlatform.kext.zip

Sabr

Dammit... so either JMicron ports or 4gigs of RAM :(

Everybody

Good news, while digging the irc i've come across the reboot fix. After a little testing i can confirm it works for my mobo. It's up to you now, to test it on any other revision.

I've updated the guide, so the file is already in it. For newcomers reboot will work out of the box.

Great news - will try tomorrow and post results.

JMICRON - these are the orange ports right? I wonder if there's some sort of workaround short of disabling them and just using the purple ones..... :(

The fact that you have rams from different manufacturers is apparently the problem.

I guess it's more likely though that it's this JMICRON 4gb thing - Sabr's results seem to confirm this.... :(

Great news - will try tomorrow and post results.

JMICRON - these are the orange ports right? I wonder if there's some sort of workaround short of disabling them and just using the purple ones..... :D

I guess it's more likely though that it's this JMICRON 4gb thing - Sabr's results seem to confirm this.... :(

Yeah, it seems it's the JMicron problem. I managed to get 3.20 GB's used up of my memory (see my previous post for screenshot). As soon as anymore was used, the whole system crashed.

But really, it's hard to use up more than 3GB's of memory alone - espcially when you only just want to have lots of apps open... It's only if you're video editing, and need 4GB's of RAM that you're going to have problems. So you may have to take a stick out (3GB of RAM in total).

Everybody

I tried on my 965P-DS3 Rev. 2.0 with BIOS F10. Reboot always worked, both with normal and verbose boot. I also tried shutdown in normal mode: it worked the first time, not the second. But... with this kext, the PS2 ports stop working! Probably it's not an issue for many of you, but I only have a PS2 keyboard! Fortunatly, the OSX 'on-screen keyboard' helped me in coming back to the original setup...

@A.I.Ghost: maybe it would be useful to have both your packages. Also, I noticed you added my suggestion to modify the Boot.plist file (thanks for the reference :(), but you should also mention that you must have root privileges. Last but not least: in your signature, are you sure it's praetorianni and not praetoriani? :D

@Uncle_Pinny: I think the JMicron refers to the purple ports.

Uncle_Pinny

JMicron controls:

- The two purple ports

- IDE green port

- FDD port

Sabr

I did not know it's full name for sure, just knew it is JMicron_smth.kext

But thinking of it, yes, it's the one.

Why i was speaking of it?

With this kext we can use purple ports as IDE and we can use ANY IDE device connected to green port without getting "still waiting for root device" error. FDD... well for someone its still useful.

Lone Wolf

I thought you knew it (my mistake, sorry....)

Using vanilla AppleACPIPlatform.kext will lost all PS2 ports but if you’re on an all USB setup, that’s fine.

Grab the kext attached to the post, should give you your PS/2 back with reboot working :(

Guide once again updated, added ACPINub to the package. Lone Wolf thank you for feedback.

ACPIPS2Nub.kext.zip

Uncle_Pinny

JMicron controls:

- The two purple ports

- IDE green port

- FDD port

That's actually fine with me as I don't use them - only the orange ports. How would I go about disabling this in osx? Just a matter of deleting or renaming the Jmicron.kext file?

On a side note I just got my ALC883 digital inputs and outputs working using Taruga's patch. Just need to sort this JMicron 4gb thing and the restart issue and I'm done. Will have a look at the updated tutorial.

Lone Wolf

I thought you knew it (my mistake, sorry....)

Grab the kext attached to the post, should give you your PS/2 back with reboot working ;)

Guide once again updated, added ACPINub to the package. Lone Wolf thank you for feedback.

OK, I tried a few things, and all of them went wrong :(

So, I hope you can clarify some points ;)

1. Reboot + PS2: as far as I understood, I installed again the 'new' AppleACPIPlatform.kext together with ACPIPS2Nub.kext (both in /System/Library/Extensions folder), and nothing changed: PS2 still not working.

2. MBR + PC_EFI v8: I formatted the Leo install, reinstalled everything using MBR and your method, including the 2 dd commands for boot0 and boot1h, and now I get a 'b0 error' messagge when I boot. Then I booted from ToH DVD, run the startupfiletool command again without the 2 dd: nothing changed, still b0 error (without reinstalling Leo, now I try to reinstall everything). I remember you got the same error, how did you solve it?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Lone Wolf

1) Yes, you did it right.

Strange though. I got both kexts from the irc.

I don't have any PS2 device to try it :D

Do you have ApplePS2Controller.kext present in your system? You should, since you've installed using my method...

2)

All i can recall that "b0 error" means, that your partition is not active, this is the MBR related thing only.

try:

enter root mode

fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX --> where X is your disk number

p --> to find appropriate partition number

f Y --> where Y is your partition number

write

it will ask you smth, enter

y like yes

quit to exit

try boot again. Also check connected devices, using Tiger, i had to disconnect everything except the drive itself for the first boot.

after trying for quite some time i have gotten Leopard working, problem comes with network.

I had network working fine up until about 30 mins ago. The last thing I remember doing is adding the IONetworkingfamily.kext to try and get Time Machiene working (still doesnt work, it fail's to find the backup disk).

In the network window it shows Ethernet adaptor, en0, is Status: Cable Unplugged.

I have tried replacing the cable to no avail. I know they all work too.

I think it could be because there is no AppleYukon2.kext file, it was there before, i swear.

if that really is the problem, cool, could someone upload it, or pm it to me, or tell me where to acquire it?

otherwise help is needed, as this is the only thing keeping me from having a fully working Leopard install.

Lone Wolf you are my hero! :( You guide worked great and now I have Leopard running finally. I tried many diffrent installs and this is the first time I have been able to even get into the OS. I attempted the upgrade you suggested first and that didn't work but a clean install worked awesome. I also thought I would mention that you have a couple typos in your guide you might want to clean up. Some of the forum links don't go anywhere and you have the we are supposed to disable the JMicron ports twice in your second guide. I think you mean to turn it back on the second time :P Thanks a ton. You made my day.

Everybody

Hi again Ghost.

Did you manage to do any tests with this fix whilst in non-verbose mode? Any success? I may try this out tonight if it sounds promising.

Regards my Jimcron thing - I've now disabled in BIOS that controller so just use the orange ports on their own. Boot time is now quicker again! If I booted in verbose I still got that annoying Package HPET is 0 message. Searched around and found I had to delete AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext which turned out to solve the issue.

Now I have my Jmicron ports disabled I thought I try installing VMare Fusion - kernal panic 1st time, 2nd time it installed but as soon as I try and use it / install SP2 (using old XP dvd) it kernel panics. Do you think the issue is still this 4gb Jmicron thing? If so is there anything else I would need to do like delete more kexts that refer to that controller?

Everything on my system is now working bar the restart and sleep. Shutdown is temperamental. Even my Logitech usb webcam is working in ichat (albeit it displaying a reverse image of what should be there!).

after trying for quite some time i have gotten Leopard working, problem comes with network.

I had network working fine up until about 30 mins ago. The last thing I remember doing is adding the IONetworkingfamily.kext to try and get Time Machiene working (still doesnt work, it fail's to find the backup disk).

In the network window it shows Ethernet adaptor, en0, is Status: Cable Unplugged.

I have tried replacing the cable to no avail. I know they all work too.

I think it could be because there is no AppleYukon2.kext file, it was there before, i swear.

if that really is the problem, cool, could someone upload it, or pm it to me, or tell me where to acquire it?

otherwise help is needed, as this is the only thing keeping me from having a fully working Leopard install.

All you need to do is click Configure -> Off -> Apply then Configure -> DHCP -> Apply

Cause from what it looks like, you at least have your Ethernet Adapter recognized.

Hi again Ghost....

As i said, on my system restart works perfectly, but since i do not have any other revision board i cant test it :(

About JMironATA.kext - you have to delete it from the extensions folder.

And still, check your RAM with any ram test. I think that the problem is also in there.

CBeckstrand

It's nice to hear, that another person actually made it ;)

How about adding your sys-info?

Lone Wolf you are my hero! :D You guide worked great and now I have Leopard running finally. I tried many diffrent installs and this is the first time I have been able to even get into the OS. I attempted the upgrade you suggested first and that didn't work but a clean install worked awesome. I also thought I would mention that you have a couple typos in your guide you might want to clean up. Some of the forum links don't go anywhere and you have the we are supposed to disable the JMicron ports twice in your second guide. I think you mean to turn it back on the second time :) Thanks a ton. You made my day.

Thanks a lot, I updated my post with the correct links and instructions.

Note that the first method was first tested by royco (post #21 of this tread) and the third one by A.I.Ghost, so you should congratulate with them rather then with me :D

@lord xeon

I had the same problem the second time I installed Leopard. I tried the solution suggested by b4sakenxx (and by Conroe Mac, first post, next time read it!), but it didn't work. Then I manually removed again the Extensions.mkext, still nothing... I solved installing other kexts (JCCool method for Ati cards), which probably do the same I tried manually, but for some reasons it worked...

SOLVED. see below

Thanks for the reply. In System Information: SATA none of the drives connected to the ICH8 are listed. I only see info related to the jmicron drives. The ich8 doesn't even seem to be recognized at all.

Regarding native mode: I guess I'm not even entirely sure what "native mode" means. From what I've read, the ich8 might not even do AHCI mode. So what does "native mode enabled/disabled" actually control? And is it worth even using those ports at all if they don't do AHCI/NCQ?

From Gigabyte's website:

Q: After updating to latest bios there is a new option in Bios setup menu called the “SATA AHCI mode”, does this mean Intel ICH8 supports AHCI function?

A: Only Intel Southbridge chipset model names that include a R/DO/DH will support AHCI and RAID functions. The function ICH8 AHCI can only be enabled under Vista. If you are using Windows XP/2000 please disable the function “SATA AHCI mode” in bios.

I guess I'm curious exactly which BIOS settings people are applying that relate to the ICH8. From what I understand, the AHCI/IDE/RAID settings relate to the JMicron ports, and only native mode enabled/disabled has to do with ICH8.

From the manual:

SATA Port0-3 Native Mode Enabled Set SATA Port0~3 to operate at Native IDE mode. Disabled Set SATA Port0~3 to operate at Legacy IDE mode.(Default value)

(emphasis added. No note of AHCI at all)

OnBoard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode This function allows users to decide the operating mode of the SATA ports controlled by the GIGABYTE SATA2 controller.

(the purple jmicron ports)

It really seems that using the orange ports means no AHCI at all. Still, at least for you the orange ports are working with native mode enabled (even if that isn't actually using AHCI), and it isn't for me.

OK, solved. Orange ports are now recognized in native mode.

I edited System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext/Contents/Info.plist

<key>ICH8 ATA/100</key>
               <dict>
                       <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
                       <string>com.apple.driver.AppleIntelPIIXATA</string>
                       <key>Controller Name</key>
                       <string>ICH8 ATA/100</string>
                       <key>IOClass</key>
                       <string>AppleIntelPIIXATARoot</string>
                       <key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
                       <string>0x28508086</string> 

I changed the last line to

<string>0x28508086 0x2363197b</string>

<dict>
                       <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
                       <string>com.apple.driver.AppleIntelPIIXATA</string>
                       <key>Controller Name</key>
                       <string>ICH8 SATA</string>
                       <key>IOClass</key>
                       <string>AppleIntelPIIXATARoot</string>
                       <key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
                       <string>0x28288086</string> 

I changed the last line of that block to

<string>0x28288086 0x28258086 0x28208086</string>

Just goes to show the orange ports aren't AHCI at all. THey work now after editing a file that has to do with ATA (IDE).

Just out of curiosity Conroe, what does that file look like on your machine? If yours looks like mine after I changed it, I wonder why mine was different in the first place. If yours looks like mine did before I changed it, I wonder why it worked for you and not for me. Just a curiosity thing as it seems to work now :( Thanks for the excellent thread.

Thanks, man, you have saved my day.

Another Leopard successful instalation!

I had sucess in upgrade and clean install.

Now, Im just trying to install EFI to update the system.

EDIT: followed this tutorial:

http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2520

Leopard running and updated!

hi,

first of all, big thanks for good job. this was the quickest hackintosh install I have had.

I got all my hardware recognized with ToH postpatched with Brazlipatch, works great!

the thing is, i can't mount .dmg files - they don't get mounted, but instead I get a error pop-up saying

'device not configured' .

in the log, I get:

12/12/07 9:31:49 PM diskimages-helper[1657] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35 
12/12/07 9:31:49 PM [0x0-0x150150].com.apple.DiskImageMounter[1655] 2007-12-12 21:31:49.345 diskimages-helper[1657:1603] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35 
12/12/07 9:31:59 PM [0x0-0x150150].com.apple.DiskImageMounter[1655] load_hdi: timed out waiting for driver to load 
12/12/07 9:32:10 PM [0x0-0x150150].com.apple.DiskImageMounter[1655] load_hdi: timed out waiting for driver to load 
12/12/07 9:33:39 PM diskimages-helper[1657] ERROR: unable to load disk image driver - 0xE00002C0/-536870208 - Device not configured. 
12/12/07 9:32:21 PM [0x0-0x150150].com.apple.DiskImageMounter[1655] load_hdi: timed out waiting for driver to load 
12/12/07 9:32:32 PM [0x0-0x150150].com.apple.DiskImageMounter[1655] load_hdi: timed out waiting for driver to load 
12/12/07 9:32:43 PM [0x0-0x150150].com.apple.DiskImageMounter[1655] load_hdi: timed out waiting for driver to load 
12/12/07 9:32:54 PM [0x0-0x150150].com.apple.DiskImageMounter[1655] load_hdi: timed out waiting for driver to load 
12/12/07 9:33:05 PM [0x0-0x150150].com.apple.DiskImageMounter[1655] load_hdi: timed out waiting for driver to load 
12/12/07 9:33:16 PM [0x0-0x150150].com.apple.DiskImageMounter[1655] load_hdi: timed out waiting for driver to load 
12/12/07 9:33:27 PM [0x0-0x150150].com.apple.DiskImageMounter[1655] load_hdi: timed out waiting for driver to load 
12/12/07 9:33:38 PM [0x0-0x150150].com.apple.DiskImageMounter[1655] load_hdi: timed out waiting for driver to load 
12/12/07 9:33:39 PM [0x0-0x150150].com.apple.DiskImageMounter[1655] 2007-12-12 21:33:39.537 diskimages-helper[1657:1603] ERROR: unable to load disk image driver - 0xE00002C0/-536870208 - Device not configured.

this is my only problem at all with Leopard at all, do you have an idea how to fix it?

i have 956p-ds3 rev 3.3.

my sata harddrives in purple ports and my sata dvd in orange port all work great.

thanks

greg

After many tries, I found the multibooting solution I like for GUID partitioning! Hope this help, especially the last guide.

Here is my system:

HD 1 is MBR with WinXP

HD 2 is GPT Leo 10.5.1 and EFI v8

As for the Leo installation, I tried different solutions to boot a GPT partition. Obviously, I'm not considering to change BIOS settings every time I want to boot one OS or the other. I think most of them should work also with 1 HD, if you are able to install WinXP on a GPT hard drive. Maybe these were already posted somewhere, but I didn't find anything I really like, apart the third method :(

------------------------------------------------

First method - Darwin bootloader

I think this works only on multi-HD setups.

1) In BIOS, set HD 2 as first hard drive to boot from

2) In Leo, change the boot options:

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

and add these 2 lines:

<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>5</string>

where 5 (seconds) is the time-delay before OSX is automatically booted. If you press a button, you enter the Darwin boot loader. You will see N+1 partitions, where N is the number of partitions you created on the Leo HD when you installed OSX.

- The second partition (hd0,2) is typically the partition where you installed OSX, the one that's automatically booted

- The first partition (hd0,1) is the partition reserved to EFI on real Macs (I'm not sure about this, correct me if I'm wrong), which is not used here.

3) If you try to boot this partition, you get an error which ask you to reboot the PC but... if you press a button again, the PC try to boot from the next HD and loads WinXP (or its boot manager)

Pro: easy solution (for me, it worked out-of-the-box)

Pro: OSX starts automatically

Cons: you cannot setup the Darwin boot loader to start automatically Windows

Cons: it's not really 'fast' (you have to press a lot of buttons :P)

Second method - Grub4Dos

1) In BIOS, set HD 1 as first hard drive to boot from

2) In WinXP, download and install Grub4Dos, for example in C:\Grub

3) Activate the WinXP bootloader and add this line in the boot.ini file:

C:\Grub\grldr="Grub"

4) Copy the boot_v8 file in the Grub directory

5) Then add to the C:\Grub\menu.lst file the lines

title MacOS
kernel (hd0,0)/Grub/boot_v8

6) When you (re)boot, we will get the WinXP boot loader, there you choose Grub and inside Grub you choose MacOS. Finally, you have about 5 seconds to press a button and choose the GPT partition you want to boot, normally the second one (identified by the number 81)

Pro: system works and you'll use Grub (I love it ;))

Cons: you cannot automatically boot OSX and again it's not really 'fast'

Third method - WinXP bootloader

Basically, this is the old chain0 method, only replaced by the boot0. This means that:

1) In BIOS, set HD 1 as first hard drive to boot from

2) Copy the boot0 file in C:

3) Activate the WinXP bootloader and add this line in the boot.ini file:

C:\boot0="MacOS"

4) Then, you can set the time-delay of the bootloader and the system you prefer to boot automatically

Pro: I got everything I want :D

Cons: which ones?