Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Leopard How-to (Updated 1/10)

Conroe Mac

412 posts in this topic

I have successfully used the Flat file Leopard install with any partition size and on any partition number and no windows or DD required. Altho It needs some work to make it boot on its own. Let me know if somebody needs a guide of some sort. As Conroe Mac said its kinda moot at this point since there is a dvd out already. But the flat file is sure a zip to install, 10 minutes tops :P

I have successfully used the Flat file Leopard install with any partition size and on any partition number and no windows or DD required. Altho It needs some work to make it boot on its own. Let me know if somebody needs a guide of some sort. As Conroe Mac said its kinda moot at this point since there is a dvd out already. But the flat file is sure a zip to install, 10 minutes tops :)

Please post a guide for this.

Thanks

So, oddly the orange ports aren't working for me. This despite all the succesful installs in this thread using the orange ich8 ports in native mode. They still work fine in Tiger.

Doesn't work in Leopard with the IOATAFamily.kext I was using in Tiger. I can get Leopard up by setting native to false in BIOS, but that's not really what I want. Leopard still works fine in the purple ports with AHCI, but I'd still like to get the orange ports running again.

It's just got me a little stumped since noone else here seems to have any problems with it.

errorbi5.th.jpg

Hi, just want to report a success with the leopard flat image. Was quite simple and fuss free.

Zero booting errors. Had the hpet error straightaway and kernel panic. Deleted Intelcpumanagment.kext with mac drive. Next got stuck with Viaata. Had to change the bios settings from SATA as IDE to SATA as AHCI. Booted perfectly though missing drivers for my x1950pro. Xbench shows similar performance to Tiger 10.4.10. Feels just a bit snappy but nothing noticable.

My system is Asus P5B vanilla which doesn't support AHCI in XP and can't keep on changing bios settings to boot to Leopard. So I copied the Viaata and appleahciport kexts from my Tiger 10.4.10 extensions backup and replaced the ones in Leopard Flat img. That resolved the AHCI boot problem, now I can boot to Leopard with my bios settings SATA as IDE. Jmicron the problem chip on all OSs is surprisingly detected automatically and the dvd burner is setup and ready to go.

Installed Jccools driver for Leopard and have resolution support. Am waiting for the x1950PRO drivers for QE and CI support which Bronya is working on.

I actually prefer Tiger in terms of look and feel to Leopard. The folder icons are really ugly and unattractive and the whole OS interface is a bit drab and unappealing the little bit I have used it till now. Maybe I have to explore more. I don't use Vista regularly but its definitely prettier than this.

Asus P5B, C2D E6300, 2GB, WD 2500KS + WD 1200BEVS, LG H42N, Asus EAX 1950 PRO PCI-E 256MB, Generic 17inch LCD monitor attached by VGA.

Unresolved Errors: Have 'ACPIPlatform dependency errors linked to com.apple.api and com.apple kernel' and 'ACPI_SMC_CtrlLoop InitCPUCtrlLoop PMCPUControl ...' something errors but boots fine. After booting get a persistent error in log and when using Terminal 'CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Well moving right along. Applied Brazilmac's latest postpatch (updated since I installed). New errors now with the orange port :P

Native:disabled no longer works. Now I get "IOATAController device blocking bus." over and over. Oh well. Didn't want native disabled anyway.

native: enabled (the goal) now gives me the beloved "Still waiting for root device"

And it still works fine in the purple JMicron ports. Do I somehow have different .kexts from everyone who has the orange ports working?

There appears to be wholesale confusion on Brazilmac thread. I think if you get things working first time don't update kexts and such unless something is broken. Wait for the confusion to clear. For instance SMBIOS 1.0.11 which is supposed to be more recent and fixes some bugs is misidentifying my CPU as 3.8ghz instead of 1.83 C2D.

I currently have a number of bugs as I mentioned in my earlier posts and the kernel doesn't shutdown properly. I am going to wait it out till the confusion clears and some robust distributions make their appearance.

Good advice. I can use the jmicron ports for now.

I'm still curious though. We all have the same Mobos, yet your orange ports work and mine don't (in Leopard). Could someone with working orange ports post their AppleAHCIPort.kext ? And is that even the kext I need to worry about to deal with the ich8? I seem to remember so, but it's beena long time since i went through this with Tiger.

I finally got the Leopard Flat Image onto my 155GB partition. I dd'd it onto an old disk drive first, and then booted an old OSx86 DVD, using the restore utility to clone it. Works fine without any problems. Just thought I'd mention how I did it incase anyone was struggling transferring the Leopard image onto a larger partition than 20GB.

;)

Sabr, I am currently stuck on a 15gb partition. The plan is to either wait for a new solid installer to turn up in a few weeks or try to use the new feature in Leopard which is live resizing of partitions. However since I don't have the Leopard boot DVD I don't know how but will try to figure that out.

I also wanted to mention I just tried the new TOH kernel got off IRC and its a bit smoother than the one we get in the Leopard flat img.

Success upgrading Jas 10.4.8!! Thanks guys. Now I'm trying to install old kexts to get audio and ethernet working.

Quick question please:

What are the terminal commands I run after dropping the kexts into Extensions folder anyone?

Normally, I do-

"sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache"

"sudo kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions"

then repair permissions

However, for Leo i get "no such file or directory" after running the first command. I guess things are different here and I'm not savvy enough to know these things. I am REALLY good at following directions though. Anyone know?

Thanks.

I finally got the Leopard Flat Image onto my 155GB partition. I dd'd it onto an old disk drive first, and then booted an old OSx86 DVD, using the restore utility to clone it. Works fine without any problems. Just thought I'd mention how I did it incase anyone was struggling transferring the Leopard image onto a larger partition than 20GB.

:)

i installed the flat image without using dd [explicitly] at all. was very quick and easy. here is what i did:

1. under tiger, unrar the flat image to its full size of ~16gb on some free space somewhere (i used stuffit expander)

2. change the name of the flat image from leopard-x86-flat-img to leopard-x86-flat-img.dmg (yes, this works)

3. mount that puppy with diskimagemounter

4. clone from that mounted disk image onto a partition of your choosing (size doesn't matter as long as it is at least 7 or 8 gb or so -- doing the clone like this will leave the partition at whatever size you have it set up, not re-partition to the size of the image). i used super duper to do that clone (and set its prefs to make the partition bootable). i am sure that carbon copy cloner would also do the trick. and i suspect that restore in disk utility would work fine as well -- probably without even mounting the image.

i am then able to boot into leopard from that partition.

note that i have an asus P5B and that, i believe, is close to the mobo that this flat image was sorta kinda made for. under leopard, i am seeing some recurring evil in the syslog every few seconds (which i don't have a copy of right now because i am currently still running tiger until i get all the kinks worked out and i need to stay in tiger right now for work). i also have run into what is apparently a known issue with WPA2 personal wifi security. other than those two things, so far, leopard is looking good.

i am wondering whether anyone else who is currently testing the flat image is also seeing junk spew into the syslog every few seconds. again, i don't remember now exactly what the text of the messages were, but some of it was making me think that it was happening because of missing packages in the flat image. and that is making me think about DLing one of the retail leopard images and starting from scratch.

Well, I have successfully used the ToH for an installation. The results are a mixed bag and I will try to explain that here while explaining how I want to move the direction of the thread. Firstly, I am going to move the thread toward the direction of DVD installs. These are the simplest installs to do, burn the iso, set bios correctly, boot from the DVD, and install. While the Brazilmac method and the flat image were both useful beginning hacks, the DVD offers a platform which is actively being upgraded. It is only a matter of time before the DVD offers the back catalogue of individual hardware hacks which allow the wide variety of beige boxes to run the OS X operating system. The brazilmac patch and the flat image in contrast are unlikely to be updated and if they were, they would have to be suited to a specific set of hardware. Basically, we need one installation method to bind us all together, but to have options for individual hardware. The brazilmac method and the flat image cannot offer that. We are all installing a custom image designed for the P5W board and then hacking the last bits so they work with the GA-965P-DS3. What is best for the community is a unified install method and the DVD is the path of future OS X Leopard Hackintosh installs.

I want to clarify that I'm not saying we shouldn't continue to work on these old methods. Please continue to discuss them and refine them. Our insights into those methods will help us develop our understanding of the motherboard and find ways to make hardware work. I'm not asking everyone to jump on the DVD bandwagon immediately, but I am going to move the thread in that direction. Once I get a system up and working with the same abilities as the Brazilmac method, I am going to write a new how-to at the beginning of this thread. At that point in time, the old how-to will be archived into an attached text file for those that wish to download it and use it. This will probably happen some time in the upcoming week.

Here's the freshest news from the ToH install which includes good news and bad news:

Good: No post-patching, easy installation, printer drivers are available for install, single layer disc

Bad: Almost no kexts installed which translates into a lack of video acceleration and sound, dual core processor is recognized as single core, IDE drives aren't recognized

As you can see, there are a fair number of negatives for the DVD right now. Most of these can be fixed with the same kexts that were in the Brazilmac method. I think the ALC883 patch will probably work for sound and Natit for video, but these will have to be done post install. I will post more information when I have found the time to test further. Thanks everyone for your hard work so far.

Conroe

Sabr, I am currently stuck on a 15gb partition. The plan is to either wait for a new solid installer to turn up in a few weeks or try to use the new feature in Leopard which is live resizing of partitions. However since I don't have the Leopard boot DVD I don't know how but will try to figure that out.

I also wanted to mention I just tried the new TOH kernel got off IRC and its a bit smoother than the one we get in the Leopard flat img.

You don't need a Leopard DVD to be able to use the restore feature in Disk Utility. You can boot from an old Tiger OSx86 DVD (that's what I did [under VMWare]). :)

Success upgrading Jas 10.4.8!! Thanks guys. Now I'm trying to install old kexts to get audio and ethernet working.

Quick question please:

What are the terminal commands I run after dropping the kexts into Extensions folder anyone?

Normally, I do-

"sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache"

"sudo kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions"

then repair permissions

However, for Leo i get "no such file or directory" after running the first command. I guess things are different here and I'm not savvy enough to know these things. I am REALLY good at following directions though. Anyone know?

Thanks.

Leopard no longer uses Extensions.kextcache. I've had success deleting extensions.mkext, chmod, chown, repair permissions. Do a search and you'll find the exact script. I'm short on time right now so I can't find it for you.

ToH note: ALC883 package fixes sound

ToH note: natit auto kext works fine

--------------------------------------------------------------------

To install a kext in Leopard:

1. In the GUI:

Remove the previous version of the kext from System/Library/Extensions

(You can rename it if you'd like to save it in case the new kext does not work)

Place the new kext in place of the old one

2. Open the terminal located in /Applications/Utilities and run the following commands:

cd /System/Library/Extensions

sudo chown -R root:wheel (name).kext

sudo chmod -R 755 (name).kext

cd /System/Library

sudo rm -rf Extensions.mkext

sudo diskutil repairPermissions /

------------------------------------------------------------

**How-to Updated**

The how-to has been updated for the basic installation method with ToH. Sound and Video are done.

I am tracking down the kexts from the Brazilmac install. Two things to fix:

IDE drive recognition

Processor recognition

Could someone please check to see if a dualcore processor is correctly recognized in Brazilmac? Just go to About this Mac, hit the "more info" button, then tell me what it says under hardware overview. It should look something like this:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac

Model Identifier: ACPI

Processor Speed: 2.68 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 1

L2 Cache: 1 MB

Memory: 1 GB

Bus Speed: 533 MHz

But hopefully both cores are recognized =)

as taken offf mine, installed using BrazilMac.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac

Model Identifier: ACPI

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz