Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Leopard How-to (Updated 1/10)

Conroe Mac

412 posts in this topic

for anyone who used my guide to install EFI, there is a BIG mistake ...

LOL, im an idiot... ;)

It is clear as sky in africa that original kernel wont boot without EFI already active.

Im on vanilla.

Will try to update to 10.5.1 and then install my audio drivers =)

ill keep you posted

UPDATE:

10.5.1 Installs without a problem.

Geekbench 64 shows 3622 pts. with the same config (might be by accident - 39pts. isnt that much)

Issues:

System boot is ±10 second slower.

Shutdown and restart aint work.

CPU Cooler runs at full speed all the time.

FURTHER UPDATE:

Juli@ does not work - same thing - kernel panic when addressing IOPCI dependent kexts

hi

i sorry if this has already been asked but 11 pages is quite too much for me to read.

So if i have IDE hdd i cant install leopard without any modding in tiger is that right ?

Well if it is than one option is to buy IDE --> SATA converter could anyone give me a tip which converter should i buy for the leopard installation ?

thank you.

No disrespect, but if 11 pages is too much to read, OSX86 ain't for you. :help:

Quote of the day right there :pirate2: So, I've been missing for a bit, but it doesn't seem like much has happened besides getting the board to run under the vanilla kernel. Still waiting on an install DVD for Leopard. Sad to see Demonoid down, but at least TPB is still kicking. Any takers on writing a vanilla kernel how-to? I'll post it in the first post of the thread and of course give you credit. Might even bold your name or something, that'd be sweet.

A little more info on progress.

I've updated to boot_v5 and restored the AppleSMBIOS.kext

Also i switched from AHCI to IDE (on my purple ports).

Boot is as fast as on my MacBook (finally!), Shutdown works (and it is also very fast - less than 5 sec.).

Restart and Sleep are still out of order.

Xbench with "disk only" shows the same result as before (but this is because i have my LEO on an old Seagate of 7th series)

Conroe Mac

I made a simple script (thanx BrazilMac for reference :D ).

Please, check file for typos, cause its 3:56 in the morning and i feel kinda groggy :lol:

So:

1) Download this file efi_51

2) Unzip it and move the "efi_51" folder to desktop

3) Open efi.sh in any text editor, you will see:

#replace XXX with your account name - for example "john"

EFI="/Users/XXX/Desktop/efi_51/" # path to the efi and extensions

do as stated

4) Open terminal and enter following:

cd Desktop/efi_51

sudo -s

[here goes your password]

chmod 777 efi.sh (just in case)

./efi.sh

follow script orders

5)Report success in this topic :P

I combined the EFI thing with the 10.5.1 update (that is to say I got the vanilla kernel by running the 10.5.1 update) and I'm up and running.

I'm still using AHCI on the purple ports, and it is a bit slower to boot now. Might try IDE like a poster above me. Xbench disk performance isn't bad, with every category 90 or above aside from one (IIRC the 4k random writes) which is like 9 haha. And that's with a RAID 1 card between the Mobo and the hard drives.

Reboot doesn't work. I've never tried sleep ever with any version of osx86 :rolleyes: This whole thing is getting awfully close to just working.

I just used the flat install image and then installed the brazil post patch ---- I said yes to reboot -_-

then on reboot I found i couldn't go back into osx ---- i get a couldn't find mach_kernel error

any ideas why that is????? I'm using the guid because obviously I have a NEW BAORD :) p35-ds3 Rev 4????? I think --- it has an s4 after the model number so i think it's rev4...

any way the boot problem???? should I skip the brazil patch----- Does it do anything major ???

cheers

andytof47

This topic is for 965P series (ICH8 chipset). Yours have ICH9R (i think).

I've been looking for a guide for your mobo, but there is no one at the time.

I asked people here to share some knowledge.

Try to install from ToH DVD(there are many success reports on other P3x boards) and report back.

alexandros7, fredperes

C'mon gyus, you have 5 times more posts than me, that should mean you are quite active here on the forum.

Both questions are already answered in this topic.

UPDATE

andy have a look right here, might be helpful :D

A.I GHOST - Cheers for the link

I'm downloading it now but wonn't be finished for a few more days because i'm nearly over my quota...... oh well but yes it seems that using this might yield better results ----- Would using a patched LEO dvd give me a better result because I actually already have that image D/L and sitting on my HD

I'm assuming the TOH has alot more patches applied thats why it works better -- is this correct??

Cheers anyway

I've been trying to move to my WD HDD for two days (info in my signature).

Here are my results:

Same install problems. Whatever i do, i end up with no boot at all, so again - ToH 10.5 over Tubgirl 10.4.8, then brazilmac post patch. Nothing more (no EFI, no new kernels)

Interesting is what happens next.

1) WD is connected to second purple.

A ) set to AHCI.

LEO works, boot was a bit slow. So i booted it in verbose mode -> "IOATADevice blocking bus" error over and over again.

After booting in to the system, disk utility shows two WD drives (first - the one im on, second - its exact copy, but unpartitioned with unknown SMART status) - i have only one drive connected!!!

B ) set to IDE.

still waiting for root device...

2) WD is connected to first orange. (purple ports are shut down)

A ) AHCI, native.

Works like charm, no more errors (Xbench, disk only 70.21)

B ) AHCI, legacy.

Same as the previous one. (Xbench, disk only 70.01)

C ) noAHCI, native.

still waiting for root device

D ) noAHCI, legacy.

Works, but reeeeeeeeeaaaaally slow. (Xbench, disk only 8.46)

Conroe Mac

In your sig. you have WD Drive too. Can you tell me whats the model is, and can you post some performance tests?

I'm a bit curious, what the hell happened to my WD...

ToH installs on my rev. 1. when i try to run it all i get is a blinking prompt. if i boot to the dvd and press F8 then it loads, the installed one, right away. network works without patch and i can patch the sound and video. i tried brazilmac postpatch, installing vanilla, tried making it bootable but nothing really worked in terms of getting it bootable by itself, without using the dvd. i am no very good at this, so obviously i am doing something wrong. any thoughts?

Hi Conroe Mac,

You've mentioned in your first post that the DVD does not support IDE installation.

1. Does that means that if I'm using IDE DVD drives, I can't install at all?

2. Also, I've tried using Brazilmac method to prepatch the "4.37GB ToH_x86_9A581_RC2.iso" that I'm having a couple of times, but the returned DVD Image file appears to be empty. Am I doing something incorrect here?

3. Is it possible for me to upgrade to Leopard from tiger with my hardware specs? Or I need to get a compatible DVD drive in order to do so?

Please advise.

Thanks.

GonGong

People... where do you get all these questions from?!

1) YES you cant (read my previous post with results on how does IDE works on already patched system). And if you are on Tiger, you should know it already, that IDE ain't work...

2) As far as i am concerned Brazilmac's prepatch is applied on the ORIGINAL Leo ISO.

3) Look into my sing. there is quite good answer - you can upgrade, but still you'll need native_SATA or external DVD drive.

1) WD is connected to second purple.

A ) set to AHCI.

LEO works, boot was a bit slow. So i booted it in verbose mode -> "IOATADevice blocking bus" error over and over again.

After booting in to the system, disk utility shows two WD drives (first - the one im on, second - its exact copy, but unpartitioned with unknown SMART status) - i have only one drive connected!!!

B ) set to IDE.

still waiting for root device...

I get similar results with a 300GB Maxtor drive connected by itself in either purple ports. In Disk Utility there is a grayed out duplicate copy of my Maxtor drive. When I connect both my WD Raptor drive and the Maxtor to both purple ports, both drives show weird grayed out duplicates in DU. I get 110 in xbench. Only works at all in AHCI mode, but my results aren't always the same. Sometimes I never get "IOATADevice blocking bus" at all, sometimes I get a bunch of those errors then "still waiting for root device" and it never works at all.... this is without changing anything at all---only rebooting.

I haven't had any luck with my Orange ports. I tried AHCI on with and without native mode and with no other drives installed. I get waiting for root device all the time. Some advice would be nice... everything works but I would like to get it working at full speed and without these strange errors

Installed ToH from DVD then --> BrazilMac PostPatch... That's it. Once booted, everything appears to work fine (Sound, Network, 3D video stuff, IDE DVD drive).

Hi all, i have some problems to install the ToH release on a ga965p-dq6

In first time i tried wiwith original toh iso. But with it, i get "Still waiting for rootroot device"

Later, i tried to add the ExExtensions of the brazil patch ( only the extensions )

I burned the dvd, and the installation is started. But when the installation is started, i can see the background and the mouse ( with loading iccon ) but it dont to language seleziotion screen ... sob

What i have to do ? i killed 14 dvd yet \.\

DeadSinn: That's a different motherboard than this topic is for. Unless it's posted somewhere else, I'd start systematically testing every port combination and the AHCI options in the BIOS. Start a new topic with your results if there isn't already one. The likely problem at this point is that the install DVD isn't correctly initializing the controller that the DVD drive is plugged into. Reading this guide and the older guide for GA-965P-DS3 might give you some ideas.

Finally got all sata ports working, here's how:

And my xbench score pretty much stayed the same :)

Oh, and it only worked for the orange satas. To use the purple ones (jmicron), I had to keep them on AHCI, but at least all of them are functional now.

alexandros7, fredperes

C'mon gyus, you have 5 times more posts than me, that should mean you are quite active here on the forum.

Both questions are already answered in this topic.

Sorry, but sometimes it´s hard do follow the whole thread. And it´s not about posts, it´s about knowledge: I think you have a lot more than me.

I read some topics of people that installed Leo in the same partition of Tiger. Simple as a update. It would be very nice, but I don´t think that I would be so lucky.

So...I just trying to choose the best way to install Leo. I have 2 images: toh and the original iso.

See ya!

i have a msi board, but many of the things in here worked... im also using the new amd dvd 10.5.1 install... so now ive got good video and sound, net, but now my Quartz Exreme isnt working; of coruse no sleep; nor is my timemachine working right

Did you get support for all 4 orange ports?

Finally got all sata ports working, here's how:

And my xbench score pretty much stayed the same :P Oh, and it only worked for the orange satas. To use the purple ones (jmicron), I had to keep them on AHCI, but at least all of them are functional now.

I don't have much time now for the hackintosh scene. It's a fun project, but you have to pick priorities in life sometimes. I will be in and out sporadically, but as people have probably realized, I haven't been around much lately. Is there any more feedback on A.I. Ghost's writeup on vanilla kernel? I want to add it to the first post but I don't have the time to test everything from his writeup myself. I appreciate people picking up where I've left off. Keep working on things and I will update the initial writeup when I can.

Did you get support for all 4 orange ports?

Yup. All 4 orange (as IDE) and 2 purple (as AHCI). Since I only have 4 devices (1 sata dvd and 3 sata hds), I plugged then to the orange ports and disabled the jmicron ports, to make it boot faster. Now my boot time is about 30 seconds :thumbsup_anim:

Now all that is missing is fixing the shutdown/reboot issue ;)