Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Leopard How-to (Updated 1/10)

Conroe Mac

412 posts in this topic

ICH8 supports AHCI, not only with the latest BIOS from Gigabyte, even as a driver in Windows XP, it's just a bit complicated to localize such drivers on Intel page, and btw you need to hack (changing some stuff on the .inf files) them in ordert to get it to work.

Regarding the low speed, yep, I guess that it's caused by the AHCI emulation, the Gigabyte solution loads (inject?) a AHCI BIOS to get the drives detected.

For those interested in this driver for Windows XP, I attached it to the message, you need to use the lastest BIOS with AHCI support and turn it on, then use this driver in Windows.

Currently I can't install Leo, but I can JaS 10.4.8, using IDE cable to green port.

Best regards.

Intel_82801HB_SATA_AHCI_Controller_7.6.0.1011.zip

JaS 10.4.8 DVD works for me, ToH Leopard DVD doesn't.

The question is, what I need to change in Leopard DVD, that is include in JaS 10.4.8, to get the DVD to work?

By another hand, all of you are using an external USB DVD drive? What kind of internal DVD drive I need to get this problem solved, a native SATA one?

Regards.

Yeah, unfortunately the AHCI boot thing happens every time. I don't think it's avoidable. Oh well, at least you get faster speeds once the OS boots. You can turn off the first splash screen and that shaves a little off the boot time.

JaS 10.4.8 DVD works for me, ToH Leopard DVD doesn't.The question is, what I need to change in Leopard DVD, that is include in JaS 10.4.8, to get the DVD to work?By another hand, all of you are using an external USB DVD drive? What kind of internal DVD drive I need to get this problem solved, a native SATA one?Regards.
To install from IDE you need to patch the install DVD. The Brazilmac method should work for installing from IDE. The problem is that AppleVIAATA.kext needs to be patched before OS X will recognize the an IDE drive. You could try running the Brazilmac DVD patch on the ToH DVD.iso and see if that results in a DVD which is bootable from an IDE drive. There are also some people that have reported success upgrading from 10.4.8 with the ToH Leopard DVD.

Upgrading from 10.4.8 is the same thing, I mean, when I insert ToH Leopard DVD in my MacOS 10.4.8 installation, only a installation icon appears, if I run the app, the only choice is to install it, rebooting, from the DVD, so I back to the main problem again.

Thanks anyway.

I'd like to post a somewhat success from a 965P-S3. I was having trouble with Brazils Prepatch-postpaching solution. After 2 days I gave up and tried ToH. I was able to install both but only boot from ToH, however it kept freezing after the Connecting configure during post-set up.

So, I went and tried to install Jas 10.4.8 and installed bare minimum for support. Installed the network fix, sound package and G80 installer. Ran into the hotplug fix. Coming to wits end with problems, I just tried to upgrade 10.4.8 to Leopard. Successful. With a minor annoying snag.

Everytime I choose the Hard Drive to boot up (Dual Booting XP), I have to F8 Darwing and add "-legacy -f"

Small snag considering this is my first time trying any of this OSX86 stuff.

Sound works, Ethernet works, Video works, all thanks to this great forum and its big contributors.

Bios settings: AHCI SATA (Top Most) - Enabled (Need to disable for XP)

SATA 0-3 Native Mode - Disabled

Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode - AHCI (Need to revert back to IDE for XP)

3 Primary Partitions used on a SATA Hard Drive (Windows/Leopard/noname)

1 Large Storage IDE Hard Drive (no name)

Boot sequence (f12) Hard Drive boot options, I select the drive with my 3 Partitions to boot Leopard, selecting the other one gives me XP. It seems the boot files for XP are located on the IDE drive that Leopard cant see. Oh well.

F11 Bios

E4300@3Ghz

2Gig Ram

8800GTS 320

Gigabyte 965P-S3

Would be nice to fix the problems, but I'm just happy to have Leopard up and running. Now back to homework.

Thanks all.

Hello everybody. I have the giga 965P-DS3 and I've installed Leopard using the TOH dvd. The installation ended smoothly and I can boot using the -legacy option from the darwin boot menu but after the welcome video I select the language and keyboard layout and chose the option "Do not transfer my information now"; at this point the cursor begins to spin and after a while it takes me back to the welcome video. There is something that I omitted? Please help me, this thing is very strange....... :)

Bye :D

I have a 965P-DS3P rev.3.3 mobo.

Will this set-up work on my board as well? (Just running Windows at the moment, would love to return to Mac.)

Apologies for the noob question, have done a google search of the Forum and haven't been able to find any links for this board and OSx86.

Barry

I have a 965P-DS3P rev.3.3 mobo.

Will this set-up work on my board as well? (Just running Windows at the moment, would love to return to Mac.)

Apologies for the noob question, have done a google search of the Forum and haven't been able to find any links for this board and OSx86.

Barry

It should work fine. The DS3P is a slightly more expensive, and better, board, but it has similar specs. Since the northbridge and southbridge are similar, you should be able to get it working. The only difference is that the DS3P has ICH8R whereas the DS3 just has ICH8.

Here are the specs on the two boards:

DS3

DS3P

Of course, your next question will be probably be "how?" You'll have to do your own research and figure that one out. If you want to run leopard, 90% of the information is in this thread. If you still can't figure it out, then this type of project might not be for you. Personally, I would wait for the final release of the ToH DVD or at least a DVD that is fully featured (having all the old hackintosh packages). At that point, it should be a piece of cake to get your DS3P up and working.

I wanted to put this technique out there because it's a simple way to get things running that I recently tested:

1. Use the ToH DVD for install

2. Boot to Leopard and run the Brazilmac postpatch

3. Delete extensions.mkext

4. repair permissions

5. Reboot

With this method, you should have IDE support, Sound, correct processor recognition, and possibly correct video recognition depending on your video card. I know this method has been tried before, but I just wanted to let everyone know that I have also tried it and it's a pretty simple way to get things working. Of course, sleep does not work and I am thinking that this is going to be a kernel thing so we'll just have to wait.

Hmm mayhaps I should have not done the post patch, I may have somewhat botched a tolerable install (least till a new one comes out).

Having only 'Onboard SATA/IDE - AHCI' in the bios allows me to sometimes get passed the "waiting for root device" prompt, if I have 'SATA AHCI Mode - Enabled' any other combination I get stuck with the Waiting for Root Device.

The few times I was able to load up Leopard, my network failed/was not working, so I tried to follow the directions to re-enable them again. Upon completing and many restarts later, I got into Leopard only to find an old friend. I don't have to use '-legacy -f' anymore

The 'Network Hang' that prevented me from completing Brazil's install after choosing connection type during the post boot set up. It returned when I select Network from System Preferences. It crashes System Preferences. I'm able to force quit. But I dont know how to repair it so no internet.

Aside from the many reboots (1/6) needed to boot into Leopard and this Network crash. It was a fun ride. Waiting for some more releases.

If anyone is able to help with my problems, great but, I got to get some homework done. :P Back to boring Windows.

Looking forward to some more polished Releases.

Hi Guys,

Last week I installed Leopard |toh|-RC2 on a system with IDE and when I was done it booted and then I got a black screen. I read later that it didn't have any support for it and I needed to patch it. So I left it alone and this weekend I was going to try it again. I installed leopard with any external USB DVD rewriter. And I was going to give it any other try and it then booted to Leopard. Great so I used it and it was pretty nice. Then I rebooted and remove the install DVD. And guess what I got a next black screen. So I m going to try replace the file later when I get home. I ll keep u all updated on it. :D

Greets

Here's my install method, which will allow Leopard operation at full speeds without AHCI enabled. Why would you want that? In my case, it was because I had an exisiting Windows XP install that I didn't wish to reinstall.

What you need:

BrazilMac prepatched DVD and post-patch files

SATA optical drive

ToH kernel (which now supports speed-step and sleep. Check netkas.freeflux.net for details)

Modified IOATAFamily.kext as detailed by Cliffton here.

What I did was temporarily enable AHCI for the orange ICH8 ports so that the Brazilmac prepatched DVD would detect the hard drive I wished to install Leopard on. If you have a retail or GM image, you could prepatch it to support the drives without ACHI, but it's just as easy to turn the option on in BIOS for the install.

Before you start installing, now would be a good time to create your customised post-patch. Using the BrazilMac post-patch as a template, modify the IOATAFamily.kext with the values provided by Cliffton in the thread linked above. Then replace mach_kernel, AppleSMBIOS.kext and AppleAHCIFamily with the files provided by netkas. Open up the postpatch script and make sure that the locations for your install drive and the location for your patch files are correct. I used a HFS formatted USB memory key for my patch files, which I fould to be very convienient. FAT32 should also be supported, but in practise disk utility didn't always recognize it, which made for a lot of wasted time waiting for the setup disc to boot up.

You'll also want to download CloneTools_H1 so that you have the startuptoolfile and bless command at your disposal, because if you install Leopard on a fresh partition (which you should) you will also have to create your MBR manually. Check out gotoh's thread on this procedure here.

Once you've got that set, boot from the BrazilMac install DVD and grab a coffee, 'cause it takes a while to load.

Remember that during the install you have to deselect all options.

After the install, boot off the install DVD again and open a Terminal window. Navigate to your patch volume and run the post-patch script. Once that's finished, you only have one more step to perform, which is to make your Leopard drive bootable. The link posted above has all the information you'll need.

After you're done with the MBR, reboot. Enter your BIOS and disable AHCI. Be sure and check your boot order, as it tends to get shuffled around when you enable/disable AHCI. Leo should boot up normally and your only other task will be to install the ALC883 audio fix.

If your system is like mine, you may run into an annoyance on startup. My rig pauses for about 20 seconds just before the loginwindow.app starts due to an IOKitWaitQuiet() error that I haven't been able to track down. I suspect that it's related to not running in AHCI, but I'm willing to make that trade off so that I don't have to reinstall XP at this time.

Good luck!

My rig runs really nicely and will actually sleep and wake up fairly normally. My only problem now is that my display glitches out on resolution changes, so sleep is still non-functional for me. So long as you don't have my video card, sleep should work perfectly for you.

Here's my install method, which will allow Leopard operation at full speeds without AHCI enabled. Why would you want that? In my case, it was because I had an exisiting Windows XP install that I didn't wish to reinstall.

You dont have to reinstall XP after you switch to AHCI you can also install the AHCI driver on an already installed XP and after this both ways to boot work.

Here a tutorial (only german but with pics)

http://62.109.81.232/cgi-bin/sbb/sbb.cgi?&...450&start=0

TIPP 2. Nachträgliche Einrichtung (für ICH8 und ICH8R)

is for an already installed XP.

Many Thanks to Conroe Mac for starting this thread. I successfully installed leopard on DS3 v1.1 using prepatched DVD and post-patch method. Sleep is of-course a problem, besides I get following message while trying to use Boot Camp Assistant: "Boot Camp Assistant cannot be used - You must update your computer's Boot ROM firmware before using this setup assistance". I have flashed MB with latest Boot ROM from Gigabyte website. Gurus out there can help please???? THANKS once again for this great thread, and hope it continues till we get fully working DVD.

Many Thanks to Conroe Mac for starting this thread. I successfully installed leopard on DS3 v1.1 using prepatched DVD and post-patch method. Sleep is of-course a problem, besides I get following message while trying to use Boot Camp Assistant: "Boot Camp Assistant cannot be used - You must update your computer's Boot ROM firmware before using this setup assistance". I have flashed MB with latest Boot ROM from Gigabyte website. Gurus out there can help please???? THANKS once again for this great thread, and hope it continues till we get fully working DVD.

BootCamp will not run on regular PCs, it needs EFI, which only real macs have.

Thanks for quick reply royco. So my only other options are Parallel or VMWare. Which one is better on Leopard for WinXP install???
You can install Windows natively, just as you would normally do. The easiest way is to install onto a separate hard drive and use the BIOS bootloader to choose which drive you wish to boot from. Alternately, you can install Windows on a separate partition on the same disc that you installed OS X onto. In my experience Windows performs much better if its installed as the first partition. There are a number of dual-boot guides out there to aid your efforts.Good luck!
You dont have to reinstall XP after you switch to AHCI you can also install the AHCI driver on an already installed XP and after this both ways to boot work.Here a tutorial (only german but with pics)http://62.109.81.232/cgi-bin/sbb/sbb.cgi?&...450&start=0TIPP 2. Nachträgliche Einrichtung (für ICH8 und ICH8R) is for an already installed XP.
Thanks for the tip. I tried that method previously and it didn't work for me, but I'm more than willing to try it again. The reg patch seems to be different from the one I tried before, so it may be more effective.

Thanks for quick reply royco. So my only other options are Parallel or VMWare. Which one is better on Leopard for WinXP install???

I like Vmware better, probably because Ive used VMware in windows for a few years now. You might to try both, cant go wrong with either.

Like what SA22C said you can boot them from Different hardrives or partitions. Mine is setup on separate hard drives, XP being on the first SATA slot and dual boot using chain 0. But for a quick jump into windows I use my VMware, everything works well except my 3D apps.

I run a quadruple boot with a PC. I don't think that would work on Bootcamp! =) I find it's best to create partitions for each OS and then keep files you share on a FAT32 partition so that they can be accessed while using an OS. Windows does not like HFS+ and OS X does not like NTFS. There are many ways to choose the partition you'd like. I use grub as it's built into Linux and that's one of my OSes. Also, I appreciate the thank you. I have put a lot of time into writing this how-to and keeping it up-to-date so I always appreciate people that understand the effort that goes into these things.

Hey Conroe Mac, i finally got sleep/wake up working. Thanks for the tip from Lucida to use the other DVI port. Now my video from wake up is not garbled anymore. It was working all along but Im using the DVI farthest from the board. ALtho I lost USB after wake up, Ill try Paulicats AppleSMBIOS to fix it.

Will report back.

*** UPDATE ****

Yep, AppleSMBIOS from the CS3 fix from XXX DVD and using the DVI nearest to the motherboard made it work for me. USB drive/keyboard working AOK!

I truly appreciate feedback from Conroe Mac, SA22C and royco.

I turned OFF sleep mode in energy saver of system preferences as a temp fix for now. I needed all-in-one kind of environment to run OS dependent apps at the same time on one desktop and avoid wasting reboot time, especially Windows. Therefore, I choose to go with VMware Fusion v1.1 rc1 (61385) on Leopard and everything works great. WOW! what an incredible app VMware is? Fusion really works as it should. Obviously, system will require more RAM for smoother operation.

Now I can run: utorrent or transmission, Safari or IE, MS Word or Pages, Outlook or Mail, so on so forth without reboot. Thanks once agin Conroe Mac for starting this thread, I could have done it hard way, you just made it easy.

Hello,

I cant really find and good post answering my question so I am replaying here. If this have been already answered, please link me there...

Well I have a problem installing TOH - the installation boots to GUI so I go for a Disk Utility and it only finds my installation DVD - my sata HDD is not listed there (and i didnt get any "Waiting for Boot device" message previously in text mode).

My mainboard is: GA-965P-DS3

DVD-ROM is: Optiarc SATA drive

HDD is: some Seagate SATA

And yes, I have AHCI switched on and am using Ports 0-3 as Native, the Disk and DVD-ROM are connected to one of those native-mode ports...

Any idea anyone?

Thank you and best regards.

-Andrej

Hmm... Looks like im gonna be back on OSX - soon =)

Using Kubuntu Gutsy now.

Since i've already had Tiger on my PC and there were no hardware changes, i think there will no problem installing TOH.

The question is - has anyone here tried to boot from a Flash Drive?

Since i have 8gig corsair voyager - ISOing it wont be a problem. Or there were already tries to do this i missed?

Tnx ;-)

P.S. I dont have external USB drive now =(

Hello,

I cant really find and good post answering my question so I am replaying here. If this have been already answered, please link me there...

Well I have a problem installing TOH - the installation boots to GUI so I go for a Disk Utility and it only finds my installation DVD - my sata HDD is not listed there (and i didnt get any "Waiting for Boot device" message previously in text mode).

My mainboard is: GA-965P-DS3

DVD-ROM is: Optiarc SATA drive

HDD is: some Seagate SATA

And yes, I have AHCI switched on and am using Ports 0-3 as Native, the Disk and DVD-ROM are connected to one of those native-mode ports...

Any idea anyone?

Thank you and best regards.

-Andrej

Try connecting the DVD drive to the purple ports, and the SATA drive to the first Orange port