Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Leopard How-to (Updated 1/10)

Conroe Mac

412 posts in this topic

kaleph

Well, looks like i'll be able to use all my HDD's =)

Conroe Mac

I've tested my .sh file on three pc's (+ my own), not only gigabyte mobo, it works, no typos ;-)

I've ran into another how-to for newest pc_efi version here and i am certainly going to give it a try (including making my own dvd, script.sh file for others to make their own - brazillmac prepatch will be used as a reference). Not sure if it will work with the "all_sata_ports" method though.

Anybody here solved the restart/shutdown problem using the vanilla kernel?

I see from your sign. that you have efi 7.3 already.

Which of these files do you use if you use (stock / modified)?

kernel, AppleSMBIOS.kext, AppleACPIPlatform.kext, AppleIntelPowerManagement.kext, AppleAHCIPort.kext ?

Be specific please.

Thanx.

I see from your sign. that you have efi 7.3 already.

Which of these files do you use if you use (stock / modified)?

kernel, AppleSMBIOS.kext, AppleACPIPlatform.kext, AppleIntelPowerManagement.kext, AppleAHCIPort.kext ?

Be specific please.

Thanx.

A.I.

I tried it with flat-image install upgraded to 10.5.1 and with brazilmac on PC_EFI V4 to V7.3. With the brazilmac I only used the AppleSMBIOS from the PC_EFI package and left everything else intact(no post patching).

My current band aid is to revert back to a patched kernel 9.0.0 and remove AppleIntelPowerManagement.kext, with using the 9.0.1 TOH kernel restart works but shutdown dont. Any vanilla kernel prevents my system from shutdown/restart.

Thanks

Have you tried boot in verbose mode only?

I've ran into interesting thing, that on 5.1efi (haven't tried any newer yet), with vanilla kernel, "true" AppleSMBIOS, "true" AppleIntelPowerManagement and "brazilmac" AppleACPIPlatform it does actually shuts down and restart (from time to time), but only if i boot -v.

Can you confirm it?

Well, finally reporting success. (a little weird actually)

My problem is, that LEO install disk cant make install enter darwin bootloader. (neither script on DVD helped, nor dancing with MBR - hell, i even tried Hiren's Boot CD to fix MBR and Seagate tools to reset the HDD to zero state).

Upset and hammered i decided to do one crazy thing.

I took Tubgirl's 10.4.8 patched with both PPS (which is for AMD only), installed it (on Purple second port with AHCI setting on, onboard controller was set to AHCI "disable" and set as "legacy"). Install was successful :(

Not even trying to boot Tiger (i assume i'd end up with kernel panic) i loaded LEO again and upgraded Tiger to LEO.

Now i'm a happy 10.5 user.

Ta-Da!

But the problem is still here and i have no damn idea why am i the only one.

Amazing!

After numerous try this worked for me too, maybe it is a rev 1.0 issue.

I didnt have tubgirl so I used an JaS .8 that I had, formated HD, intalled it, installed ToH on top of it. Patched with Brazilmac postpatch, installed vanilla,efi and toh update, updated to 10.5.1.

Added back 2gb of memory I had removed to succeed on installation process. Now I have 4gb and it all pretty much works other than reboot/shutdown.

After installing the ToH leo and patching it up all appears to work quite well. Thanks! But I do have one problem. Leo doesn't seem to be able to boot directly from the hard drive, but needs the ToH dvd in the dvd drive to boot. Any thoughts? Thanks.

After installing the ToH leo and patching it up all appears to work quite well. Thanks! But I do have one problem. Leo doesn't seem to be able to boot directly from the hard drive, but needs the ToH dvd in the dvd drive to boot. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Did you make set the Leo partition active? Else it wont boot...

Did you make set the Leo partition active? Else it wont boot...

I tried to use fdisk to set the partition active, but now it will not even boot in osx86 with the cd in the drive. It just wants to run the installer again.

There is an error in efi.sh:

echo rename troublemaker...

cd /System/Library/Extenions

mv AppleEFIRuntime.kext AppleEFIRuntime.kext.old

sleep 1

"cd /System/Library/Extenions" should be "cd /System/Library/Extensions"

There are also a large number of typos. Here is the cleaned up code:

#!/bin/sh

#replace XXX with your account name - for example "john"
EFI="/Users/desistere/Desktop/efi_51/"	# path to the efi and extensions

echo creating vanilla directory...
mkdir /iamefi
sleep 1

echo moving files to vanilla directory...
cp $EFI/boot_v5 /iamefi/
cp $EFI/booti386 /iamefi/
cp $EFI/startupfiletool /iamefi/ 
sleep 1

echo backing up kernel...
mv /mach_kernel /mach_kernel.patched
sleep 1

echo moving vanilla kernel to root directory...
cp $EFI/mach_kernel /
sleep 1

echo repairing permissions on new and old kernel...
chmod 644 /mach_kernel && chown root:wheel /mach_kernel
chmod 644 /mach_kernel.patched && chown root:wheel /mach_kernel.patched
sleep 1

echo moving kexts to library...
cp -rf $EFI/kexts/AppleSMBIOS.kext /System/Library/Extensions/
cp -rf $EFI/kexts/dsmos.kext /System/Library/Extensions/
sleep 1

echo renaming AppleEFIRuntime...
cd /System/Library/Extensions
mv AppleEFIRuntime.kext AppleEFIRuntime.kext.old
sleep 1

echo cleaning cache...
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
sleep 1

echo repairing permissions - just relax and wait a few minutes
diskutil repairpermissions /System/Library/Extensions
sleep 135

echo
echo
echo --- look for your drive and partition IDENTIFIER - looks like diskXsY, eg disk0s1 - and remember it ---
sleep 5
echo
diskutil list
echo
echo
sleep 15

echo --- now write down on a sheet of paper these instructions: ---
sleep 5
echo
echo --- upon boot press F8 ---
sleep 2
echo 
echo --- then enter the following ---
sleep 3
echo
echo mach_kernel.patched -s
sleep 3
echo
echo cd /iamefi
sleep 3
echo
echo --- remember you were told to look for partition IDENTIFIER? Apply it in next step ---
sleep 5
echo
echo ./startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsY ./boot_v5
sleep 3
echo
echo --- letter - r - before the IDENTIFIER is NOT a typo! ---
sleep 5
echo
echo reboot
sleep 2
echo
echo --- when you are ready, type here in terminal: reboot ---
sleep 5
echo

AI Ghost: The vanilla kernel method has not worked for me yet. I am using boot_v5, but after many kexts load, the computer simply reboots. Attempting to use the old kernel results in a blue screen which I think is from AppleSMBios.kext. I suppose I'll try another install. Might be a permissions related problem. Perhaps I should try the method without using your patch?

Conroe Mac

LOL... i somehow inserted wrong link. I just used the one i copied to my flash after uploading it to "Mediafire". Didn't test the actual download link.

For that i am really sorry. Will remember for the future. :tomato:

Patched kernel reboot is because of dsmos.kext, it is only needed for vanilla.

I understand word "typo" as an error in the actual code, not the english related problem :-D

Sorry for that.

I took your cleaned code and changed the only one thing -> repairing systemwide permissions, not the .kext only and deleted sleep after the permissions repair, since it is of no use.

efi.txt

This .sh is not foolproof, i used it on a clean system (after applying brazilmac postpatch).

Maybe you have some fixed kexts vanilla do not like.

houe

What's you mobo model? (also revision and bios version). Please.

jp266one

What bios version do you have?

It looks like, only DS3 rev. 1.0 with F12 bios has this issue.

I had a few false starts but finally got Leopard to work on my GA-965P-DS3 with IDE (orange ports). I installed UPHUCK 10.4.9 v1.3 with AHCI enabled in the BIOS, ran the patch for my GeForce 8800GTX and patched the LAN. Then I installed ToH's Leopard, rebooted and ran the ICH8 patch, rebooted again and changed my BIOS setting from From AHCI to DISABLED and ACHI to IDE and restarted. Now I can dual boot between Vista and Leopard with Acronis OS Selector.

jp266one

What bios version do you have?

It looks like, only DS3 rev. 1.0 with F12 bios has this issue.

I have F12 and as I said I have a rev. 1.0 and its a DS3. In spite of the restart/shut down issue I am trully amazed with the result so far. I am also glad that I have my 4gb back working.

I've been trying to move to my WD HDD for two days (info in my signature).

Here are my results:

Same install problems. Whatever i do, i end up with no boot at all, so again - ToH 10.5 over Tubgirl 10.4.8, then brazilmac post patch. Nothing more (no EFI, no new kernels)

Interesting is what happens next.

1) WD is connected to second purple.

A ) set to AHCI.

LEO works, boot was a bit slow. So i booted it in verbose mode -> "IOATADevice blocking bus" error over and over again.

After booting in to the system, disk utility shows two WD drives (first - the one im on, second - its exact copy, but unpartitioned with unknown SMART status) - i have only one drive connected!!!

B ) set to IDE.

still waiting for root device...

2) WD is connected to first orange. (purple ports are shut down)

A ) AHCI, native.

Works like charm, no more errors (Xbench, disk only 70.21)

B ) AHCI, legacy.

Same as the previous one. (Xbench, disk only 70.01)

C ) noAHCI, native.

still waiting for root device

D ) noAHCI, legacy.

Works, but reeeeeeeeeaaaaally slow. (Xbench, disk only 8.46)

Conroe Mac

In your sig. you have WD Drive too. Can you tell me whats the model is, and can you post some performance tests?

I'm a bit curious, what the hell happened to my WD...

My HD speed numbers are similiar ~70. I always run AHCI, but maybe I will try this new IDE method to get all four SATA Ports up.

I tried to use fdisk to set the partition active, but now it will not even boot in osx86 with the cd in the drive. It just wants to run the installer again.

Could it be that I am using maxtor sata drives be the problem? These are just relabeled 320GB 7200.10 seagate drives. Anyone else having problems or get it to work with these drives? Thanks.

Thanks AI Ghost. I will try that script and if I have success, I will post it to the how-to. I don't mean to be picky and I am grateful for your work. We're all here to help each other out. I want to make sure it is entirely accurate before new users to the hackintosh community start using it. As soon as I get it running, I will post it up.

--Conroe

ATTENTION: WORKING IDE FOR INSTALL!!!

My hardware:

e6300 stock

gigabyte p965-ds3 rev 2.0

8800gts 640mb

80gb sata2 leopard installation

ide dvd drive

3gb ddr2 ram

I have a (close to) 100% working installation. I used the original 9a581 retail dvd that I bought and patched it with the Brazilmac patch. However, since I needed IDE support, I edited the patch to include the JMicronATA.kext to boot with my hardware. Voila! IDE support for install. Confirmed working for an IDE DVD drive, but I did not test if IDE HDD were supported by the kext I included. But I used EFI v7.3, and now I have a completely vanilla leopard install on my DS3 Rev 2.0.

If anyone's interested, I'll write up a guide for the steps I took after spending 16 hours yesterday on trying to get it working and booting!

But I do have one problem:

I had working audio output after installing AppleAC97Audio.kext and AppleAzaliaAudio.kext, but after installing the DS3 sound package supplied in this guide, I no longer have sound. What should the device ID and whatnot be set to in the proper kext file for a Rev 2.0 DS3?

Conroe Mac

I have learned from you in the past days of 10.4.7/8, so i do believe, that whatever you think should be done, - should be done =)

Glad to be of help.

punkrockml13

If anyone interested? Everybody here are interested! :-)

So please be more specific about... well... everything.

1) from where did you get the JMicronATA.kext? (or what have you edited)

2) detailed info on HDD and DVD (like manufacturer, model and so on)

3) port connection mapping (e.g. HDD connected to first purple)

4) If you had working audio, why to apply ALCInject.kext? (removing it will probably give you your audio back)

5) What about shutdown/reboot/sleep? Works?

Thanx.

There are too many thoughts on how to make things work, and too little time to test everything, so when someone like you comes up, it's like new raw material to be assimilated, but without specific info - lack of data leads to errors :-)

Hey punkrockml13,

If it's not too much trouble,

It would be really cool if you could image your drive, if it's not too crammed with installs yet, and make it available?

I think that i'd be really sweet if we all had a fully working leo image based on our favorite board that we could just 'restore' as a starting point.

Just my 2 cents worth.. We'd all love to share in your 16 hr labor of love.

Any thoughts are appreciated

Fordee

Conroe Mac,

I did in fact use the 888 install package, but it seems like a lot of people are having trouble with it. I used it mainly to have all six ports and spdif working, but alas, I do not haha. I instead installed the package again but this time just used the 3 port option since I read in the installer's thread that it was widely accepted.

I'd love to have 5.1 through spdif, but since I don't have my 5.1 system with me right now... whats the point? I'll stick with the good sounding stereo until the installer gets a bit more developed for our board.

A.I. Ghost,

I'll be doing a full write up after I finish writing this post, and I'll post it to this thread.

Fordee,

Not sure how that would work out easier. Might make it more complicated and whatnot, not to mention my HD is holding 7gigs and I've only installed the 10.5.1 update and nothing else. Although, it does remind me of the good old "Deadmoo" image days of 10.4

Ahh nostalgia...