Rhapsody DR2

zfire89

545 posts in this topic

The simplest way to install it is using Parallels, but you'll not get your monitor recognized (640x480, B/W).

Create a new Virtual Machine in Parallels, create a 1 Gig HD.

Then rename the floppy's extensions to .img, and put the boot floppy in Parallels as first boot device.

Take the iso and put it in Parallels as well.

Start the VM.

When it says insert the driver diskette, then swap the boot disk with the driver one.

When he asks you for a driver, reply:

then select "1" again and it will start the installation.

From then follow the on-screen instructions.

I have to go to bed now and sleep, tomorrow I'm having an exam in Physics...

If you still need help, reply here, I'll give you my help ASAP.

EDIT:

An entire ISO only 8 Mb?!?!?

I think it's a fake...

EDIT 2:

It's a truncated file... StuffIt is searching for the rest, but can't find it, so it caused an infinite loop.

The simplest way to install it is using Parallels, but you'll not get your monitor recognized (640x480, B/W).

Create a new Virtual Machine in Parallels, create a 1 Gig HD.

Then rename the floppy's extensions to .img, and put the boot floppy in Parallels as first boot device.

Take the iso and put it in Parallels as well.

Start the VM.

When it says insert the driver diskette, then swap the boot disk with the driver one.

When he asks you for a driver, reply:

then select "1" again and it will start the installation.

From then follow the on-screen instructions.

I have to go to bed now and sleep, tomorrow I'm having an exam in Physics...

If you still need help, reply here, I'll give you my help ASAP.

EDIT:

An entire ISO only 8 Mb?!?!?

I think it's a fake...

EDIT 2:

It's a truncated file... StuffIt is searching for the rest, but can't find it, so it caused an infinite loop.

well, i guess its back to searching the endless verges of google/yahoo :-p

max

I hate this to be my first post here, but I hope I get credit for visiting this site and the orginial site since December :angel: . Ive been looking for Rhapsody for a long time. Can the hero of the board PM with the link for the Intel version of Rhapsody DR2? thankies.

:)

BlackShadowWolf

got the ppc back, non corrupted, will upload soon, but you need the x86 install floopys to boot off of the .toast.

max

ps

will upload later

good! B)

sorry? floppy? but rhapsody wasn't supported on any ppc with a floppy drive. anyway in the cd there is a system folder, so it should boot…

Could you please help, I have no idea what to do. What do I type?
Have you tried hitting return?

What you have displayed is one of the oddest installation shots I've ever seen... you are missing a column of letters/numbers, which is the first time I've seen that in the last 7 years of working with Rhapsody.

"1" is selected for you, so hitting return should finish the installation of files (assuming that the issue that has removed those characters from your screen doesn't cause further problems).

Hey thanks for the almost instant PM mr hero. It took me forever to actually get to the first install screen. I didnt know what I was doing wrong as it always gave me kernel panics, til I discovered I hit 7 twice, instead of 3 times so I was loading the wrong driver lol. Its now doing the part 1 installation in Virtual PC 2004 (Windows edition. Thanks for the wonderful guide and the OS itself. :D

got the ppc back, non corrupted, will upload soon, but you need the x86 install floopys to boot off of the .toast.

There's another way to install it: update an installation of Mac OS 9.

Now I'm not at home, when i'll be back i'll try it.

P.S.: The truncated (8 Mb) file gave me a 5.7 Gig DVD. :angel:

Please, as soon as you finish uploading the working PPC, PM me the link.

Thanks!

There's another way to install it: update an installation of Mac OS 9.

Now I'm not at home, when i'll be back i'll try it.

i think not: rhapsody should be like os x, and mac os x can be installed on the same partition of os 9.

P.S.: The truncated (8 Mb) file gave me a 5.7 Gig DVD. ;)

Please, as soon as you finish uploading the working PPC, PM me the link.

Thanks!

only? using stuffit it expanded forever for me, i force-quitted it when i saw a 40 gb toast file! :D

it expanded with normal dimensions using compress (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/16519), but it is corrupted anyway…

max

ps

will upload later

I don't think you should upload it until I know it's working. I'll test it tonight. I was trying to last night, but I ran out of time. I have a non-corrupted also. And, when you upload it, include the floppy images.

I am starting to send out copies of Copland and YellowBox now!

Will Rhapsody PPC work in Sheepshaver?

Nope it doesn't. Ive tried and all it does it crash when you try to load it. I think its looking for something that the emulator cant handle.

Update on Intel Rhapsody:

Bochs:Install and boots successfully---->Thanks for the guide

Qemu:First stage install sucessful,crash afterwards

VirtualPC 2004: Weirdest of the bunch, stage 1 install success in some cases, always kernel panics in second stage installaton start up.

Does anyone have virtual pc 4 for windows, bochs is way to slow and jerky to work with ;) .

BlackShadowWolf, did you try installing it with floppies or upgrading a Mac OS 9 installation?
Am I reading this right? Floppies? For the PowerPC version of Rhapsody?

Rhapsody for PowerPC doesn't use floppies... you boot from the CD. Rhapsody for PowerPC is a CD with two partitions, an HFS partition and a UFS partition. You boot into Mac OS 8.1/8.5/9.0 (depending on which version you are installing) off the HFS partition and the installer sets the firmware up for running Rhapsody.

Also, there is no upgrade path from Mac OS 8/9 to Rhapsody... Mac OS 8/9 can't even read the Rhapsody file system.

i think not: rhapsody should be like os x, and mac os x can be installed on the same partition of os 9.
Actually Rhapsody and Mac OS X are quite different. Rhapsody and Mac OS 8/9 can't exist on the same partition as Rhapsody uses a proprietary UFS format and Mac OS 8/9/X all use HFS+. Later versions of Rhapsody can read/write to HFS/HFS+, but Rhapsody has to be installed on a UFS partition.

I tried to boot from the cd, and just crashed before it could load the desktop. I tried to run the cd from Mac OS 8.6 within SheepShaver, but it couldnt find a disk to install Rhapsody on as there was no way to format it to UFS from within the program, so if someone can figure out how to install Rhapsody in SheepShaver, tell us as it will be a miracle in my eyes.

PearPC cant use any Mac OS earlier than 10.1, it doesnt have OpenBIOS support, which makes Rhapsody out of the question there, Im not sure about qemu, it might work but I could never get it to set up properly, even to install Mac OS 9.