Rhapsody DR2

zfire89

545 posts in this topic

;) It's funny how unstable rhapsody could be, but on the flip side, we have an OS X Server 1.0 (which as far as I remember is still mainly Rhapsody) machine here at work and it's been running for years without a rebuild. We were also afraid to touch it because it's been working for all these years with out a problem.

Could you send me a PM at the speed of light too? ;)

PM AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT TO SAVE THE DAY AGAIN!!!!!!!!!! ahahahah pm is my new superhero lool

oh and ps if ne one else needs it just pm me or post here :)

guys.... torrents and http links aren't the only ways of getting files...

tip : download emule and connect to the server on the top of the list... it has the file rhapsody_dr2_x86.iso (just search "rhapsody").

it started downloading at 1kb/s for me but it ended up going at a constant 30kb/s so if you're patient then you will have a copy in a couple of days. it is about 300mb

also there is another file on there called rhapsody install disk or something. get that too, it is needed to install rhapsody.

Guys... I actually have performed the impossible. I have gotten Rhapsody DR2 to work on the Bochs processor emulator and work well!!!!! :D If it were not for bwhsh8r providing the Rhapsody DR2 iso, however, none of this would have been possible. The emulator is rather slow due to complete emulation of the x86 architecture verses virtualization done by say VMware. If you don't believe me, click on the following link to to see a screenshot of my success! (Note: the image is at 1280x800 resolution so you may need to do some scrolling around.)

Bochs with Rhapsody in action on my Windows XP desktop!

By the way, setting this up was no easy task. In fact, it took a really long time to get it just right, but I finally got it to work. That's no suprise though, since I am the almighty Rhapsody Guru! So as to get you all the same taste of the OS that I got, I am going to make you all a pdf guide showing you how to set Rhapsody up within Bochs successfully. I'll make it as easy as I can and I might set up a PayPal account later on for donations :2cents: so as to help me with making more quality guides pretaining to any computer solution you need for a problem you have. Stay tuned for the arrival of my guide!

:P

Matthew

a.k.a The Rhapsody Guru!

I downloaded and tested it, but works right only in VMWare with my AMD64 processor.

It hangs on memory allocation, I think that 512 MBs of RAM it's a lot for Rhapsody.

Sherry Haibara

I run it perfectly in an early version of virtual pc, just give 128 Mb of ram and it won't hang on memory allocation...

P.s.: I'm italian, too :D

I am so excited to see a topic related to rhapsody that is current!!!!

I've been searching the internet trying to find a copy.

I can't get emule to work because of my network situation.

PM MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

If anyone knows where to find Rhapsody v1.0 (a.k.a. v5.2) that'll be cool. This came after Rhapsody DR2, but before MacOS X Server 1.0 which only supports the PowerPC architecture. I heard of Apple releasing it for a VERY short time, not really enough to make it sell at all since Apple changed their focus to MacOS X.

:blink:

Guru

• 3 weeks later...
If anyone knows where to find Rhapsody v1.0 (a.k.a. v5.2) that'll be cool. This came after Rhapsody DR2, but before MacOS X Server 1.0 which only supports the PowerPC architecture. I heard of Apple releasing it for a VERY short time, not really enough to make it sell at all since Apple changed their focus to MacOS X.

:worried_anim:

Guru

Im on it :blink:

max

Rhapsody is fun. Only DR1 and DR2 exist for x86. DR3 was mysteriously never released ;)

Hmm... interesting. But there is no way to DISPROVE its existance, though. That's why bwhsh8r is looking around anyways. I wish OSBetaArchives was still around.

:D

Guru

Hmm... interesting. But there is no way to DISPROVE its existance, though. That's why bwhsh8r is looking around anyways. I wish OSBetaArchives was still around.

:)

Guru

They didn't have it. And they knew it didn't exist in a leaked format. If you knew me, you'd know I'd know. Hrm...that's a weird sentence.

"And if you can get a copy of Rhapsody 5.2, which wasn't supposed to be let off the Apple campus, consider yourself one of the few people to actually see that OS (though it really is just Mac OS X Server 1.0 without the Server apps installed, so it shouldn't look that different once installed)."

OS Version_______OS Name_________OS Code Name___Processors

___0.8___________NeXTstep 0.8 _________________________ Motorola

___1.0___________NeXTstep 1.0 _________________________ Motorola

___2.0___________NeXTSTEP 2.0 _________________________Motorola

___2.1___________NeXTSTEP 2.1 _________________________Motorola

___2.2___________NeXTSTEP 2.2 _________________________Motorola

___3.0___________NEXTSTEP 3.0 _________________________Motorola

___3.1___________NEXTSTEP 3.1 ______________________Motorola & Intel

___3.2___________NEXTSTEP 3.2 _________________Motorola/Intel/SPARC/PA-RISC

___3.3___________NEXTSTEP 3.3 _________________Motorola/Intel/SPARC/PA-RISC

___4.0________OPENSTEP for Mach 4.0 _________________Motorola & Intel

___4.1________OPENSTEP for Mach 4.1 _________________Motorola & Intel

___4.2________OPENSTEP for Mach 4.2 _________________Motorola & Intel

___5.0______Rhapsody Developer Release _________________PPC & Intel

___5.1_____Rhapsody Developer Release 2____Titan1U ______PPC & Intel

___5.2___________Rhapsody 1.0 ________________________PPC & Intel

___5.3________Mac OS X Server 1.0 ________Hera1O9_________ PPC

___5.4_______Mac OS X Server 1.0.1________Hera1O9_________ PPC

___5.5_______Mac OS X Server 1.0.2____Hera1O9+Loki2G1______PPC

___5.6________Mac OS X Server 1.2________Pele1Q10 _________PPC

and this 5.2 release does not depend on sse2?

this might be good news for people (like me) who have non sse2 laptops they want to try it on....

seeing as the other versions of rhapsody don't require sse2, aqua would be nice for a change :whistle:

and this 5.2 release does not depend on sse2?

this might be good news for people (like me) who have non sse2 laptops they want to try it on....

seeing as the other versions of rhapsody don't require sse2, aqua would be nice for a change :)

Aqua didn't exist until 10.0. Server and Rhapsody didn't have it.

Lets just think about this... I'll be hypothetical for one moment here. If I were to nab a copy of Rhapsody 5.2... note that this was a release version with absolutely no software-imposed physical memory restrictions like in Rhapsody DR2 which only allowed 192MB of RAM. It would also be more stable than its predecessor. And I would be the most lucky kid on the block.

:compress:

Guru