Rhapsody DR2

zfire89

545 posts in this topic

I tried the alternate Ubuntu thing but it didn't worked.

It isn't true that we cannot start the X11 environment, because when I launched the Mandrake installer, it loaded X11.

There are 2 more ways of having Linux PPC working:

1 --> install Darwin, then use it as a bootloader, so we bypass the yaboot loader (which is probably the main problem)

2 --> Use a guide I found on Debian Linux PPC, which is supposed to work.

http://wiki.pearpc.net/index.php?title=Pow...tallation_Guide

I'd really like to start a serious project about getting Rhapsody up and running in a virtual machine along with Mac OSX, Windows or Linux.

If we fail, it'll always remain as a very nice diary. :(

I tried the alternate Ubuntu thing but it didn't worked.

at wath point it hunged? anyway we haven't a bootloader…

It isn't true that we cannot start the X11 environment, because when I launched the Mandrake installer, it loaded X11.

i haven't said that x11 can't work, i said that the ubuntu live one, wich has serius problems with many real macs, can't work. x11 probably will work quite nice with a framebuffer configuration with almost no extensions (like the mandrake installer's one)…

There are 2 more ways of having Linux PPC working:

1 --> install Darwin, then use it as a bootloader, so we bypass the yaboot loader (which is probably the main problem)

1) i don't think that darwin will install. not with the normall installation, but you can always try with the xpostfacto installer.

2) how do you intend to boot in linux once you have darwin?

2 --> Use a guide I found on Debian Linux PPC, which is supposed to work.

http://wiki.pearpc.net/index.php?title=Pow...tallation_Guide

it is pearpc, not ss. linux works in pearpc, that emulates a generic g3/g4 newworld mac.

I'd really like to start a serious project about getting Rhapsody up and running in a virtual machine along with Mac OSX, Windows or Linux.

it would be nice, but we haven't even got the os yet. anyway, i miss the point of installing linux, now…

yes, there are a lot of sites in english about it, but maybe it would be nice to do one in italian…
Yeah, I have often felt a little sad when I've seen german, japanese and chinese (along with others) sites linking to mine knowing that they have to work their way through the english.

And what is worse is that I'm not all that proficient at english to begin with. :(

I can see where that type of information would be helpful to many people.

... I just find it disappointing to see people spend so much time and effort to get Rhapsody running only to have them turn their backs on it after they have gotten it running.

I see the same thing with people attempting to get Mac OS X running on different systems... I've seen screenshots and pictures (on this site no less) of people displaying Mac OS X running, but not actually doing anything. They have no real apps and don't know how to make the most of the system, and they don't really care... the point was to show they got it running.

And when that is the point of people's endeavors, then I think they have missed the point of those operating systems.

Until you take the time to learn what it is that makes Mac OS X, Rhapsody, OPENSTEP and NEXTSTEP special, you really have missed out on the best parts of all of them. And running these things in a "virtual machine" or next to your primary OS on your real hardware means you'll never really take the time to learn them.

For years when I left home I took one computer with me... my ThinkPad. And on that system there was only one OS... Rhapsody. I learnt what I know now because it was what I used. I didn't visit Rhapsody, I used it as a working system.

If you want to learn Rhapsody, do your project in Rhapsody. All of my Rhapsody site and most of my NeXT site have been made in Rhapsody. Doing real work in Rhapsody will give you an idea of what it is that Rhapsody had to offer.

Rhapsody isn't just some rare piece of software, it is a useful tool and provides incredible insight into were Mac OS X originally came from and how it got to where it is now.

The best way not to fail is to have a good reason for succeeding. When you get Rhapsody running, stop and try actually using it.

:( Okay, enough from that crazy Rhapsody guy for one day.

You're not a crazy Rhapsody guy, I think you are a real Rhapsody Guru.

I'd really like to use Rhapsody as a main operating system but I'm afraid that there isn't enough software avaliable for this particular platform. Otherwise, I'd use it everyday.

By "there isn't enough software available" I mean that I have no means of compatibility with modern OS, like Windows Vista and its Office 2007.

It's quite obvious that a document created with Office 2007 will not be correctly read by a similar app in Rhapsody.

However, I'd still like to have it running to discover Mac OS X roots, and understand how it works better.

So you're probably thinking "then, what's your good reason for wasting all this time in a -dead- operating system?".

The challenge.

The adventure.

The discoveries.

Call it as you prefer.

From this challanges, you change yourself and get "stronger".

It's rather complicated to explain...

As example: when you travel to a foreign country which you know almost nothing of, you discover new things, make new experiences... and your knowledge grows.

Knowledge is the key-word.

When we try installing Rhapsody, we discover new things and make experience... it is like travelling in the past and discover new countries.

Windows gets installed almost everywhere, without problems....

You install windows, it is up and running. So, what do you know of windows?

NOTHING.

After being through the OSx86 project, I discovered many, many things about this amazing OS, and in the end I decided to buy it, because it was worth it.

In the same way, every day, also thanks to your efforts, I'm discovering pieces of Rhapsody... and it is great.

The instinct to go further, the desire to discover, the will to comprehend and broaden my knowledge.

These are my good reasons that keep me going.

-------

Ah, BTW... we're trying to boot PPC Linux in order to use Mac-on-Linux which is reported to work with Rhapsody PPC. :)

Ah, Jack, I think you misunderstood what I'm doing...

I NEVER USED SS TO BOOT LINUX PPC.

I just tried once and it failed due to the fact that the emulated PowerMac is OldWorld, and we have many problems booting it...

from then, I'm always using PearPC.

I decided to go for the newworld emulators, which seems to work since they have OpenFirmware.

Yeah, I have often felt a little sad when I've seen german, japanese and chinese (along with others) sites linking to mine knowing that they have to work their way through the english.

i agree, it could be a problem.

And what is worse is that I'm not all that proficient at english to begin with. :D

I can see where that type of information would be helpful to many people.

... I just find it disappointing to see people spend so much time and effort to get Rhapsody running only to have them turn their backs on it after they have gotten it running.

I see the same thing with people attempting to get Mac OS X running on different systems... I've seen screenshots and pictures (on this site no less) of people displaying Mac OS X running, but not actually doing anything. They have no real apps and don't know how to make the most of the system, and they don't really care... the point was to show they got it running.

And when that is the point of people's endeavors, then I think they have missed the point of those operating systems.

they (we?) are "hackers", wanting to try something new, to gain knowledge.

(note: in this situation used "hackers" in the largest meaning: maybe not someone with really good informatic knowledg, but simply someone who want to learn.)

Until you take the time to learn what it is that makes Mac OS X, Rhapsody, OPENSTEP and NEXTSTEP special, you really have missed out on the best parts of all of them

sure, but we can't really learn it if we can't use it…

. And running these things in a "virtual machine" or next to your primary OS on your real hardware means you'll never really take the time to learn them.

well, i agrree with the virtual machine (but something it is the only way: now i run rhapsody x86 in a vm because i don't have a real x86 and dont want to buy one), but what's wrong in aving 2 operating systems? it can be a good way to learn having a solid base if somehing goes wrong…

For years when I left home I took one computer with me... my ThinkPad. And on that system there was only one OS... Rhapsody. I learnt what I know now because it was what I used. I didn't visit Rhapsody, I used it as a working system.

me too with os x (and os 8 before). but it could be a limit having only one view of point. now i think that i can say that i know os x well (obviusly there isn't a limit in knoving it -and for that thing informatic is fantastic!) and i want to know also other things.

i'm intrested in rhapsody because i like to know were we came from: you can't get the future if you don't know the past.

If you want to learn Rhapsody, do your project in Rhapsody. All of my Rhapsody site and most of my NeXT site have been made in Rhapsody. Doing real work in Rhapsody will give you an idea of what it is that Rhapsody had to offer.

we can't do real work if we can't run it… once we can run it maybe we we'll do some work on it! :D

Rhapsody isn't just some rare piece of software, it is a useful tool and provides incredible insight into were Mac OS X originally came from and how it got to where it is now.

i totally agree. and maybe it will help to know were we're going.

knowing the past to anticipate the future, it is called "psycostory".

he best way not to fail is to have a good reason for succeeding. When you get Rhapsody running, stop and try actually using it.

exactly. and i think that lots of the forums users should really use osx86 instead of booting it only to booting it. (lots, not all!)

:) Okay, enough from that crazy Rhapsody guy for one day.

:D

I'd really like to use Rhapsody as a main operating system but I'm afraid that there isn't enough software avaliable for this particular platform. Otherwise, I'd use it everyday.

well, the software is portable… maybe once you get it running you can try…

By "there isn't enough software available" I mean that I have no means of compatibility with modern OS, like Windows Vista and its Office 2007.

It's quite obvious that a document created with Office 2007 will not be correctly read by a similar app in Rhapsody.

if java exists in rhapsody (i think yes) it should be possible to compile openoffice (or run thinkfreeoffice).

However, I'd still like to have it running to discover Mac OS X roots, and understand how it works better.
:)

So you're probably thinking "then, what's your good reason for wasting all this time in a -dead- operating system?".

The challenge.

The adventure.

The discoveries.

Call it as you prefer.

As example: when you travel to a foreign country which you know almost nothing of, you discover new things, make new experiences... and your knowledge grows.

Knowledge is the key-word.

When we try installing Rhapsody, we discover new things and make experience... it is like travelling in the past and discover new countries.

Windows gets installed almost everywhere, without problems....

You install windows, it is up and running. So, what do you know of windows?

NOTHING.

After being through the OSx86 project, I discovered many, many things about this amazing OS, and in the end I decided to buy it, because it was worth it.

In the same way, every day, also thanks to your efforts, I'm discovering pieces of Rhapsody... and it is great.

The instinct to go further, the desire to discover, the will to comprehend and broaden my knowledge.

These are my good reasons that keep me going.

wow! we're thinking in the same way!

i ofteng say a thing, that probably in italian sounds better: knowledge is the first step to freedom.

-------

Ah, BTW... we're trying to boot PPC Linux in order to use Mac-on-Linux which is reported to work with Rhapsody PPC. :D

no, it is not "reported", it is "suspected"… the installer disk will boot, no doubt about that, but i have no real idea if the system itself will boot.

if this is your purpose you can try q: http://www.kju-app.org/kju/

it has a ppc emulator that can run linux and you can find prepacked images somewere (sorry, the siste i used to find prepacked images is down…).

Ah, Jack, I think you misunderstood what I'm doing...

I NEVER USED SS TO BOOT LINUX PPC.

I just tried once and it failed due to the fact that the emulated PowerMac is OldWorld, and we have many problems booting it...

from then, I'm always using PearPC.

I decided to go for the newworld emulators, which seems to work since they have OpenFirmware.

ah, ok. so, good luck.

Well, you should consider that when you hold up Windows Vista and Office 2007 as your bench mark of compatibility that you are in fact holding up products designed to lock you into using Microsoft. The point of those products isn't to make life easier for you, the point is to lock you into using only Microsoft solutions.

What you basically have is people who are held prisoner saying "but does the outside world provide chains like these?"

Because I use Mac OS X, Rhapsody and OPENSTEP as some of my primary operating systems, I don't have to worry too much about certain file types between them. But I also use Mac OS 8/9 and Irix along side them, which adds a twist. Plus I build web sites which means that I need to be aware of compatibility with other platforms.

What I do is to stay away from formats that lock me into a certain vender.

HTML is cross platform. JPEG is cross platform. Postscript (and Encapsulated Postscript) is cross platform. PDF is cross platform. GIF is cross platform. TIFF is cross platform. QuickTime is cross platform. MPEG is cross platform.

And I use all of those in Rhapsody.

If Rhapsody didn't have compatible applications, then when you went to my site you wouldn't see anything. Everything there was made on Rhapsody systems in Rhapsody native apps.

My primary OS is Mac OS X, Rhapsody is my secondary OS. And I haven't used any Microsoft software in more than 4 years... and it hasn't given me many problems (and I know I've had less problems than people who use Microsoft products :) ).

The challenge.

The adventure.

The discoveries.

Call it as you prefer.

But what I see with many people here is people visiting a foreign country and not getting off the plane.

Running an OS tells you nothing about the platform. Operating systems don't do anything... you need to work with applications. Without apps, the best OS in the world is pretty much pointless.

And without using apps on Rhapsody, your still going to be sitting on a plane looking out the window without experiencing anything that is really there.

That is what I'm talking about.

Most of the people I've seen try Rhapsody couldn't tell you what made Rhapsody special compared to Windows or Linux or the BeOS because they never did anything in it. They got it running, took some touristy pictures and never touched it again.

me too with os x (and os 8 before). but it could be a limit having only one view of point. now i think that i can say that i know os x well (obviusly there isn't a limit in knoving it -and for that thing informatic is fantastic!) and i want to know also other things.

i'm intrested in rhapsody because i like to know were we came from: you can't get the future if you don't know the past.

Sadly, most people who use Mac OS X don't know Mac OS X. Former Mac OS users rarely use what Mac OS X has to offer, same with former Windows users.

For example, you are a Mac user... what services do you use?

Services are something that has been around since the beginning of NeXT, but most Mac users don't know anything about them. If I hadn't been using NeXT and Rhapsody before Mac OS X, odds are I wouldn't have known about them either. And if I had only visited OPENSTEP or Rhapsody, and not actually used them, I would have completely missed services altogether.

Looking at Rhapsody (or OPENSTEP or Mac OS X) wouldn't show you things like services. You have to be using the application for that.

And in the case of Mac OS X, you have to be using apps made by Rhapsody/OPENSTEP/NEXTSTEP developers to find many things because most of the Mac developers kept their Mac apps running pretty much the same as they did in Mac OS 8/9.

For example, I don't like Firefox in Mac OS X much. Why? It is not a Mac app.

So, what do I mean by this? Firefox is a great browser for many platforms... just not Mac OS X. Because Firefox has to work on many platforms it can actually only be as good as the worst platform it runs on... and doesn't take any advantages of the best platform it runs on.

So if a Windows user uses a Mac and browses the net in Firefox, they really have learnt nothing about what makes a Mac special (better) compared to Windows.

if java exists in rhapsody (i think yes) it should be possible to compile openoffice (or run thinkfreeoffice)

Which wouldn't be running Rhapsody apps... which is like me going to a foreign country and only eating at McDonald's while I'm there.

People think there are no applications for Rhapsody because they don't see application titles that they are familiar with. What you need to do is ask what it is you want to do and see if their are apps that do that.

I don't travel to foreign countries looking for America, I go looking for what is unique and special about them.

Windows users looking down on Rhapsody saying "there isn't enough software available" is no different than American's looking down on Italy saying that that country has nothing to offer or that it is nothing but an old, dead culture.

Just like Italy still has much to offer the world, I still think that Rhapsody can be a very productive operating system.

You know, the main problem is that around 80% of the world computing is around Microsoft... so we MUST have compatibility with Micosoft Apps, otherwise we're cutted out of that 80% of the world!

Do you know what's my all-time favourite Operating System?

DOS.

Simple, quick, safe.

I loved it and also the nice-looking GUI Microsoft made for DOS wasn't that bad (I'm talking about windows 3.1 :) ).

The problem is:

I know very well DOS and Windows 3.1, why have I switched to Windows 95, then 98 then XP?

Because of compatibility.

Now, do you know why I have finally switched to Mac?

Because it has compatibility!!!! (and not only, read before...)

Rather simple, uh?

So, if someone ports Office 2007 to Windows 3.1, I'll get back to DOS + Win 3.1.

If someone ports Office 2007 to Rhapsody I switch to Rhapsody.

An OS without programs is like a King without people...

but an OS without compatible apps... is like a quarantined Kingodom.

God gone 1 day from this thread and so mucxh happened :blink:.

Anyway, I have a question for RacerX as he seems to have the most knowledge of the subject.

I have an old iBook G3 that I bought on ebay last year and beefed up. I currently have Mac OS 9.2.2 on it, which is alright but its unstable because, well its OS9. Ive put Panther on it, which works, but its slow. Im now thinking of installing Rhapsody, or something of the equivalent as now Im really interested in running it as my main, or second OS. Here are the stats.

~iBook G3 300Mhz

~Minimum OS- Mac OS 8.6--->but really I think its Mac OS 9.0.4 due to it not liking my OS 8.6 cd.

~RAM 320MB

~HDD 10GB---> yes, thats right. I tore it apart and replaced the 3GB drive and put in a 10GB and works well :D. Unfortunately the old drive is long gone as a friend decided to throw it against a brick wall, god those drunken nights :). Thanks iFixit.com

~ATI Mobility 2X, mb vram---I think.

Im wondering what Rhapsody/Mac OS X Server OSs are supported, as Im bad at this. thanks.

Well, you should consider that when you hold up Windows Vista and Office 2007 as your bench mark of compatibility that you are in fact holding up products designed to lock you into using Microsoft. The point of those products isn't to make life easier for you, the point is to lock you into using only Microsoft solutions.

What you basically have is people who are held prisoner saying "but does the outside world provide chains like these?"

Because I use Mac OS X, Rhapsody and OPENSTEP as some of my primary operating systems, I don't have to worry too much about certain file types between them. But I also use Mac OS 8/9 and Irix along side them, which adds a twist. Plus I build web sites which means that I need to be aware of compatibility with other platforms.

What I do is to stay away from formats that lock me into a certain vender.

HTML is cross platform. JPEG is cross platform. Postscript (and Encapsulated Postscript) is cross platform. PDF is cross platform. GIF is cross platform. TIFF is cross platform. QuickTime is cross platform. MPEG is cross platform.

And I use all of those in Rhapsody.

If Rhapsody didn't have compatible applications, then when you went to my site you wouldn't see anything. Everything there was made on Rhapsody systems in Rhapsody native apps.

My primary OS is Mac OS X, Rhapsody is my secondary OS. And I haven't used any Microsoft software in more than 4 years... and it hasn't given me many problems (and I know I've had less problems than people who use Microsoft products :D ).

great answer, racerx! :D

Sadly, most people who use Mac OS X don't know Mac OS X. Former Mac OS users rarely use what Mac OS X has to offer, same with former Windows users.

For example, you are a Mac user... what services do you use?

good point: although mac os x is the os that i used most,i use the services menu very little: i have a mac os classic legacy.

surely that things apply to anyone: all of us uses the parts of the os that wnow better. for example, do you use spring folders?

anyway i really miss not having really used nextstep, openstep or rhapsody (although os 9 was great in another way) and i'd like to try and -if possible- use it (and also os x public betas, amigaos , beos and so on).

Looking at Rhapsody (or OPENSTEP or Mac OS X) wouldn't show you things like services. You have to be using the application for that.

sure

And in the case of Mac OS X, you have to be using apps made by Rhapsody/OPENSTEP/NEXTSTEP developers to find many things because most of the Mac developers kept their Mac apps running pretty much the same as they did in Mac OS 8/9.

For example, I don't like Firefox in Mac OS X much. Why? It is not a Mac app.

So, what do I mean by this? Firefox is a great browser for many platforms... just not Mac OS X. Because Firefox has to work on many platforms it can actually only be as good as the worst platform it runs on... and doesn't take any advantages of the best platform it runs on.

So if a Windows user uses a Mac and browses the net in Firefox, they really have learnt nothing about what makes a Mac special (better) compared to Windows.

i agree also on this. opera has the same problem too.

Which wouldn't be running Rhapsody apps... which is like me going to a foreign country and only eating at McDonald's while I'm there.

right, but that was the only app that i knew there was. if i have the choiche to not to use mac os x or to use a bad app in os x i prefer using a bad app. and that's why i use mariner write for writing and neooffice for converting ms office docs… :gathering:

People think there are no applications for Rhapsody because they don't see application titles that they are familiar with. What you need to do is ask what it is you want to do and see if their are apps that do that.

and we're back to the traditional switcher's problem (or pretest…): "no apps" (on rhapsody, mac, linux, *bsd, what you want!)

I don't travel to foreign countries looking for America, I go looking for what is unique and special about them.

Windows users looking down on Rhapsody saying "there isn't enough software available" is no different than American's looking down on Italy saying that that country has nothing to offer or that it is nothing but an old, dead culture.

Just like Italy still has much to offer the world, I still think that Rhapsody can be a very productive operating system.

very good :D

Don Luca said:

You know, the main problem is that around 80% of the world computing is around Microsoft... so we MUST have compatibility with Micosoft Apps, otherwise we're cutted out of that 80% of the world!

but we all can. in the worst case there is always a way…

Rather simple, uh?

So, if someone ports Office 2007 to Windows 3.1, I'll get back to DOS + Win 3.1.

If someone ports Office 2007 to Rhapsody I switch to Rhapsody.

An OS without programs is like a King without people...

but an OS without compatible apps... is like a quarantined Kingodom.

but what makes you think that compatible apps doesn't exists?

BlackShadowWolf said

I have an old iBook G3 that I bought on ebay last year and beefed up. I currently have Mac OS 9.2.2 on it, which is alright but its unstable because, well its OS9. Ive put Panther on it, which works, but its slow. Im now thinking of installing Rhapsody, or something of the equivalent as now Im really interested in running it as my main, or second OS. Here are the stats.

~iBook G3 300Mhz

~Minimum OS- Mac OS 8.6--->but really I think its Mac OS 9.0.4 due to it not liking my OS 8.6 cd.

~RAM 320MB

~HDD 10GB---> yes, thats right. I tore it apart and replaced the 3GB drive and put in a 10GB and works well biggrin.gif. Unfortunately the old drive is long gone as a friend decided to throw it against a brick wall, god those drunken nights whistle.gif. Thanks iFixit.com

~ATI Mobility 2X, mb vram---I think.

Im wondering what Rhapsody/Mac OS X Server OSs are supported, as Im bad at this. thanks.

if i understood right the docs at least os x server should work in an unsupported, unofficial, way? waiting for confirm…

if i understood right the docs at least os x server should work in an unsupported, unofficial, way? waiting for confirm…

Yes, I've seen a number of places where people have installed Mac OS X Server 1.2 (Rhapsody 5.6) on clamshell iBooks... including a friend of mine. His seemed to run okay the few times I used it (though I guess he was mainly using it for Mac OS 8.6).

Yes, I've seen a number of places where people have installed Mac OS X Server 1.2 (Rhapsody 5.6) on clamshell iBooks... including a friend of mine. His seemed to run okay the few times I used it (though I guess he was mainly using it for Mac OS 8.6).

You got any copies of it your willing to sell then, im thinking of setting up as a Server, to see if I can improve my networking skills, and have some fun with classic OSs, even though I wont be able to get to my iBook til the end of October :D .

You got any copies of it your willing to sell then...

No... not currently. When I end up with duplicates of media I'm always happy to make sure it goes to a good home.

And actually, I'm still looking for copies. This is all the Mac OS X Server 1.x media that I know of (items I have are in bold):

Mac OS X Server 1.0

Mac OS X Server 1.1 (Z691-2251-A)

Mac OS X Server 1.1 (Z691-2308-A)

Mac OS X Server 1.2 (ZM691-2420)

Mac OS X Server 1.2 Upgrade (upgrades Rhapsody 5.3-5.5 to Rhapsody 5.6)

Mac OS X Server 1.2 v3 (ZM691-2806-A)

The second 1.1 was mislabeled media that was bundled with G3 Servers, which makes it a little hard to find (most of the time you find retail copies for sale). The 1.2 Upgrade is even harder to find as it was sent out to people who qualified for it (people who had bought 1.0 within a few months of the release of 1.2 but didn't need to run it on a G4 qualified to get this CD from Apple for $19).

What often happens is that I'll find Server on ebay, but the seller won't actually know enough about it to describe it correctly... on the off chance it is one of the ones I need, I'll buy it. If it is one I already have, I'll sell it to the first to ask.

I haven't been actively buying recently... mainly because I have every version of Rhapsody released (Rhapsody 5.0, 5.1, 5.3, 5.4, 5.5 and 5.6), but I'd still like to have my media collection rounded off.

I also have holes in my NeXT media collection too... what I have currently is NEXTSTEP 3.2, 3.3, OPENSTEP 4.1 and 4.2. I would like to get 3.0, 3.1 (NeXT), 3.1 (Intel), OPENSTEP 4.0 and NEXTSTEP 4.0 Beta... though I think I'll add a NeXTstation to my collection before hunting down any more media.

At any rate, if anyone is interested in collecting Rhapsody releases, I've put up a page on Rhapsody media here to help in identifying what is what. It includes images of the CDs to help when hunting on ebay.

what about an imac dv 400? it is out?

That should actually make a good system... the video card in it (ATI Rage 128) is the same as the Blue & White G3s that Server 1.x was released with (Apple announced and released both at the same time).

You'll need 1.2 because 1.0 came with 8.5.1 on the CD for booting systems to install. 1.2 came with 9.0 and 1.2 v3 came with 9.0.4 (which would be best for your iMac)

Don Luca.... CherryOS runs fine in windows xp media center edition... (xp pro with some features added and removed...)

max

The one linked here was a corrupt archive, so I had to search it and download it.

It installed fine, but when I try tro create a new VM or open a VM it crashes and exit.

Can you upload yours or send it to me in some way?

Thanks! :)

That should actually make a good system... the video card in it (ATI Rage 128) is the same as the Blue & White G3s that Server 1.x was released with (Apple announced and released both at the same time).

very good! :D

You'll need 1.2 because 1.0 came with 8.5.1 on the CD for booting systems to install. 1.2 came with 9.0 and 1.2 v3 came with 9.0.4 (which would be best for your iMac)

you're right: my imac came with os 8.6. so i have at least one mac that can run rhapsody, maybe 2 (i'm not sure that my other imac, the last generation g3 imac, can run it. anyway it's graphic card, a strange version of the 128, that is not the same of the other imac, made me fuzzy a lot of times installing linux…). i suppose that it will not run on any imac g4 or powerbook 1400 (well, surely will not run on mine, since the optical drive is broken and the scsi port malfuntioning, as well of the adb, the screen and the soundcard…).

so i'll search for the os x server 1.1 cd…

a question: if i find the 1.0 cd is it possible to install it from another os 8.6 or nine disc (maybe booting from the os 9.2.2 install disc and running the installer from an external cd reader or adding the installer to a mac os 8.6 - 9 cd…) or it will not boot at all once installed?

Well I found this on Amazon,

Amazon, click it o.o

$100 for Mac OS X Server 1.2? I dont think its even worth putting that much money out for classic software

RacerX, which version of Mac OS X Server do you recommend the best? I was looking at 1.2 as it seems thats the most guarenteed one to work on my iBook.

Side note, I love how Amazon classifies the software to work on all operating systems, even though its one itself :D.

No... not currently. When I end up with duplicates of media I'm always happy to make sure it goes to a good home.

And actually, I'm still looking for copies. This is all the Mac OS X Server 1.x media that I know of (items I have are in bold):

Mac OS X Server 1.0

Mac OS X Server 1.1 (Z691-2251-A)

Mac OS X Server 1.1 (Z691-2308-A)

Mac OS X Server 1.2 (ZM691-2420)

Mac OS X Server 1.2 Upgrade (upgrades Rhapsody 5.3-5.5 to Rhapsody 5.6)

Mac OS X Server 1.2 v3 (ZM691-2806-A)

The second 1.1 was mislabeled media that was bundled with G3 Servers, which makes it a little hard to find (most of the time you find retail copies for sale). The 1.2 Upgrade is even harder to find as it was sent out to people who qualified for it (people who had bought 1.0 within a few months of the release of 1.2 but didn't need to run it on a G4 qualified to get this CD from Apple for $19).

What often happens is that I'll find Server on ebay, but the seller won't actually know enough about it to describe it correctly... on the off chance it is one of the ones I need, I'll buy it. If it is one I already have, I'll sell it to the first to ask.

I haven't been actively buying recently... mainly because I have every version of Rhapsody released (Rhapsody 5.0, 5.1, 5.3, 5.4, 5.5 and 5.6), but I'd still like to have my media collection rounded off.

I also have holes in my NeXT media collection too... what I have currently is NEXTSTEP 3.2, 3.3, OPENSTEP 4.1 and 4.2. I would like to get 3.0, 3.1 (NeXT), 3.1 (Intel), OPENSTEP 4.0 and NEXTSTEP 4.0 Beta... though I think I'll add a NeXTstation to my collection before hunting down any more media.

At any rate, if anyone is interested in collecting Rhapsody releases, I've put up a page on Rhapsody media here to help in identifying what is what. It includes images of the CDs to help when hunting on ebay.

ooooooooo you got unlucky, i had a server 1.0 auction for a whial.... its over now i think... but yea...

max

$100 for Mac OS X Server 1.2? I dont think its even worth putting that much money out for classic software

Well, the thing is it still does everything that it originally did, and Apple was still selling it for $499 as late as Summer of 2001 (that is five years ago... same age as Windows XP).

So yeah, if all you want to do is look at it, $100 is a pretty expensive peep show. But if you know what you can do with it (unlimited client AppleShare server, NetBoot server for a bunch of systems, WebObjects server, etc)... $100 is a hell of a bargain. Both this and AppleShare IP 6 are still outstanding server solutions. And neither has stopped functioning.

The problem is mind set... and most of you guys are properly brainwashed into believing only new will do. And that is exactly what software and hardware companies want you to think. Software doesn't stop working when it is replaced by newer software on the market.

90% of what today's software does the same titles were doing back in 2000. Is that 10% of additional functionality worth hundreds of dollars more for the new software compared to software from five to eight years ago that is selling on ebay? Of course most of you guys are really young, so you think that all the things we do with computers today couldn't possibly be done with older computers (even though most of those things were being done 10 to 15 years ago too). But the functionality of this old software hasn't just evaporated with time.

Which is why sharing this software is more than just unethical, Apple will attempt to stop people from distributing it. It can replace the current version of Mac OS X Server in many situations, so it is far from dead.

Still... I wouldn't pay that much for it. My copies have averaged about $45, and I wouldn't pay more than $35 for a copy today. But I also already have one of each version, which effects what I would consider a fair price for me.

If I was a small business that needed an inexpensive server solution and had an old G4 laying around... $100 is a steal for what it can do!

RacerX, which version of Mac OS X Server do you recommend the best? I was looking at 1.2 as it seems thats the most guarenteed one to work on my iBook

The thing about Apple hardware is that even if it came with a version of the Mac OS (like 8.6), that doesn't mean that the retail version of 8.6 will work on it.

In my business, if I come across an Apple computer with no OS, I'll install the next full version of the OS after the one that originally shipped with it.

Which is perfectly legal as your license for the OS is the hardware... if you have no OS, you are at least guaranteed a minimum OS install (anything beyond that you have to pay for... at least with me).

In the case of the iBooks, some came with 8.6, but most shipped with 9.0.x. Because of this, Mac OS X Server 1.2 or 1.2v3 would most likely be required to boot your system and install the OS. Both 1.0 and 1.1 (which is 1.0 mislabeled) have 8.5.1 on the installation CD, where as 1.2 has 9.0 and 1.2v3 has 9.0.4.

...just downloaded CherryOS 1.2, and tried in a new Virtual Machine with Windows 98...

now it creates the HD, but all the settings doesn't work, so if I try to boot it ends telling me that there was an error in my profile.

The error I'm getting while trying to change settings in my profile is this:

Automation error

Application-defined or object-defined error

I dunno what to do.

I'm on the point of giving up, because in 2 days I have to be back to university and I'll not have so much spare time to give to this project...

If someone wants to continue, I'l be more than happy to provide him all my experiences and all the "material" I've used so far.

a question: if i find the 1.0 cd is it possible to install it from another os 8.6 or nine disc (maybe booting from the os 9.2.2 install disc and running the installer from an external cd reader or adding the installer to a mac os 8.6 - 9 cd…) or it will not boot at all once installed?

Well, here is the thing... Mac OS X Server is very picky about where it is installed on your system.

It has to be on a volume on the master drive of an IDE/ATA bus. It also has to be on a volume no more than 1 GB away from the beginning of a disk (and it is best to have it at the beginning).

If you are going to try to install via a preinstalled version of the Mac OS on a partition of the drive you are going to install on... put the Mac OS on the second partition. You'll have to partition as the installer will not install onto a volume that the system is currently booted from (the installer places a script on the target partition with the options for installation that you selected, when the system reboots from the Rhapsody partition of the install CD, the installation software on it looks for that script to tell it how to install the software).

To be on the safe side, I'd install the System Disk utility in your OS to make sure it is compatible with the installer (there is a system extension that the Mac OS needs to function correctly with the System Disk utility, I'm guessing that the installer would need it too).

I think that should get you around most of the hurdles you would face doing something like that.

And this could also work for installing on an iBook using 1.0/1.1... but it is a gamble. I have only ever seen 1.2 or 1.2v3 successfully install on one of those.

Alright thanks RacerX, im now really considering buying it off Amazon, problem is I read somewhere it doesnt have DCHP, which means how would I be able to get it to the Internet? I have a 802.1x network at school, and Wi-Fi at my house that uses WEP. Any suggestions.

On second thought, im not sure if I could even use Mac OS X Server for anything, i mean I would love to attempt to put a NetBoot image on the harddrive and see if I can successfully set up a NetBoot network, and also actually be able to say i set up my own network, that wins resume points ;) .

but I the only things i usually have on the iBook is Office for Mac (doing papers), Internet Connection (duh) and iTunes, technically it doesnt have to be iTunes as I burned all my music to cds to remove the DRM so now everything is DRM free.

If there are apps that you can get for Mac OS X Server 1.2 that can fulfill these needs, then I'll be more willing to put out more money for OS X Server.

PS: if i put OS X Server on, can I still put another OS on, like OS 9.2.2 or Panther on another partition??

Alright thanks RacerX, im now really considering buying it off Amazon, problem is I read somewhere it doesnt have DCHP, which means how would I be able to get it to the Internet? I have a 802.1x network at school, and Wi-Fi at my house that uses WEP. Any suggestions.

On second thought, im not sure if I could even use Mac OS X Server for anything, i mean I would love to attempt to put a NetBoot image on the harddrive and see if I can successfully set up a NetBoot network, and also actually be able to say i set up my own network, that wins resume points ;) .

but I the only things i usually have on the iBook is Office for Mac (doing papers), Internet Connection (duh) and iTunes, technically it doesnt have to be iTunes as I burned all my music to cds to remove the DRM so now everything is DRM free.

If there are apps that you can get for Mac OS X Server 1.2 that can fulfill these needs, then I'll be more willing to put out more money for OS X Server.

PS: if i put OS X Server on, can I still put another OS on, like OS 9.2.2 or Panther on another partition??

there was 10.3 for 125 there with unlimited client access just for a hint, just search server and u gotta pick through like 5-10 + pages, but it would be worth it...

max