Rhapsody DR2

zfire89

545 posts in this topic

but i'm really curious (i know, it's one of my main characteristics! :D ) about that strange boot process, it wold be really nice if you'll like to explain a bit of it…

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.

Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

I didn't spend the last three years compiling information and writing about this stuff on my site to do it over and over again in different forums forums. Almost every question about Rhapsody itself that has been asked here is cover somewhere on my site.

|

|

|

|

V

Allright, I'll download a PPC linux distro and tell you if I can manage to install and boot it...

great :D

BTW: anyone tried with PearPC/CherryOS?

i thought that, once installed, it would boot (but no ideas now, after what RacerX said about the rhapsody boot process) but we can't get the installer disk boot because pearpc doesn't support os 9. maybe (and i underline the "maybe") is possible to force the install under the os x classic enviroment.

EDIT: I'm downloading UBUNTU linux for PPC... in a hour I'll have the ISO and I'll tell you if it works.

great. probably it will hang (at least it will not start X), but if you can get the boot screen is enough: in that case it is a newworld.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.

Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

I didn't spend the last three years compiling information and writing about this stuff on my site to do it over and over again in different forums forums. Almost every question about Rhapsody itself that has been asked here is cover somewhere on my site.

|

|

|

|

V

thanks, it is enough, i'll look here! :D

Missed this one... :D

Mac OS X's UFS is not the same as Rhapsody's UFS.

In fact, Mac OS X can't read Rhapsody UFS volumes.

oh, fantastic. :D

--------------------

what about mac os x server 1.x? it is the direct rhapsody evolution on ppc, anyone having a disc?

what about mac os x server 1.x? it is the direct rhapsody evolution on ppc, anyone having a disc?

:D You mean besides me of course.

Stange... the Rhapsody PPC CD should boot automatically... are you sure that you don't have a fake or corrupted Rhapsody iso?

Who are you asking?

I was replying to jackoverfull.

However, it seems that SS doesn't want to boot Linux PPC. It tries to load it but fails, so it stucks for 10 seconds, then eject the CD.

Now, I don't know if this is because of the CD, or is because of SS.

I'll make one last try downloading a Live CD of Linux for PPC, then , if it fails, I'd say that SS emulates an oldworld mac.

Allright Guys, I'm bringin you Good news and Bad news.

Let's start from the bad ones:

SS emulates a PowerMac 9500, which is an oldworld mac. So, no way.

Good news:

MacOnLinux supports OpenFirmware and NvRAM, so I'm creating a new Virtual Machine in Paralles where run Linux, and will use MacOnLinux from there (again, VM into another VM...).

I'm an idiot.

I didn't realize that Mac-on-linux runs on -->PPC<-- linux.

Nothing to do.

But we have a new way to run Rhapsody PPC: running it through a PPC linux.

I think it's easier getting PPC linux run on an emulator...

I'll try PPC linux in PearPC ASAP.

Yeah, gimme 'em all!!! :)

Can you also upload your copy of Rhapsody DR1 PPC, please? :gun:

EDIT:

BTW, here's my (crazy) plan:

Mac OS X --> Parallels --> Windows --> PearPC --> Linux PPC --> Mac-on-Linux --> Rhapsody PPC

Once I got Rhapsody PPC installed, I'll try to make it work in SS.

There's also a backup plan:

Mac OS X --> SS --> Linux PPC (Oldworld compatible) --> Mac-on-Linux --> Rhapsody PPC

As soon as I have downloaded the 3 Mandrake Linux PPC CDs, I'll start trying over and over, until I have results.

Yeah, gimme 'em all!!! :D

Can you also upload your copy of Rhapsody DR1 PPC, please? ;)

EDIT:

Mac OS X --> Parallels --> Windows --> PearPC --> Linux PPC --> Mac-on-Linux --> Rhapsody PPC

Mac OS X --> SS --> Linux PPC (Oldworld compatible) --> Mac-on-Linux --> Rhapsody PPC

As soon as I have downloaded the 3 Mandrake Linux PPC CDs, I'll start trying over and over, until I have results.

it turned out to be yellowbox for windows.... witch is cooler but still... i dont have ne ppc...

max

Stange... the Rhapsody PPC CD should boot automatically... are you sure that you don't have a fake or corrupted Rhapsody iso?

yes, it is corrupted.

:blink: You mean besides me of course.

well…yes, but you're always welcome! :D

However, it seems that SS doesn't want to boot Linux PPC. It tries to load it but fails, so it stucks for 10 seconds, then eject the CD.

Now, I don't know if this is because of the CD, or is because of SS.

I'll make one last try downloading a Live CD of Linux for PPC, then , if it fails, I'd say that SS emulates an oldworld mac.

so it was as i remembered: it is an oldworld. sorry

I'm an idiot.

I didn't realize that Mac-on-linux runs on -->PPC<-- linux.

Nothing to do.

But we have a new way to run Rhapsody PPC: running it through a PPC linux.

I think it's easier getting PPC linux run on an emulator...

I'll try PPC linux in PearPC ASAP.

you can try to install pearpc, install mac os x phanter, install mac on mac ( http://maconmac.bastix.net/ ) on phanter and install rhapsody ppc inside, but i think that it will hung somewere (mac on mac made my real mac hunging, sometimes…)

another way is to install mac on linux on linux on pearpc or qemu-system-ppc.

ooops!

Sorry for the triple post, but I've got great news!!!

There are PPC linux that can run on oldworld Macs!! One of these is Mandrake Linux 9.1 PPC!

Now I'm downloading the 3 CDs... I'll tell you if I made any progress!!!

yes, sure, but it means almost nothing: it used an other way to boot, doing a chain-boot from mac os. maybe, if you can get linux boot you can install mac on linux, but it will be easier to install it on pearpc or qemu.

anyway i strongly discurage mandrake (or mandrivia) ppc: it has serius problem on macs…

you can download somewere the bootX bootloader (that isn't the same of os x) and use it whit any other distro, like ubuntu.

rofl, and i have cherry os if you want it to try?

max

i seems to remember that it is based on pearpc too, but trying is always good.

Yeah, gimme 'em all!!! biggrin.gif

Can you also upload your copy of Rhapsody DR1 PPC, please? smile.gif

EDIT:

well, a little crazy, but, teorically, it could work!

--------------------

;) ehy, don luca, have you noticed my location? obviusly not: i haven't fit it… :D

qua la mano, romano, so' di torino! :whistle:

If I'm not wrong, YellowBox is like CrossOver: it allows you to run Mac apps on PC... it doesn't allow you to run the Mac OS on Windows...

yep, and cherryos is a ripoff of pearlpc code... and sold... but its got some other stuff too...

max

yep, and cherryos is a ripoff of pearlpc code... and sold... but its got some other stuff too...

max

Hey! I gave you the CherryOS Max! The credit should be attributed to me! BTW... if any of you guys want CherryOS v1.01 for Windows... go head over to my home page by clicking here!

Guru

Hey! I gave you the CherryOS Max! The credit should be attributed to me! BTW... if any of you guys want CherryOS v1.01 for Windows... go head over to my home page by clicking here!

Guru

If you must know i was going to tell them to pm you ;) so chill out rofl... :idea: and besides, i just found you that one other thing that youve been looking for for ages.... :):dev: so yea...

max

Actually I would hope that some one else here has it now too... I posted links to an auction for Mac OS X Server 1.x which cost the winner less than $30 a couple days ago.

The version in that auction (Rhapsody 5.3) could be upgraded to Rhapsody 5.5 (free download).

A perfectly legal version of Rhapsody 5.5 for PowerPC for under $30... why would you guys pass that up?

If I'm not wrong, YellowBox is like CrossOver: it allows you to run Mac apps on PC... it doesn't allow you to run the Mac OS on Windows...

Sort of. It allowed one to compile apps for Windows as well as Rhapsody. Pretty spectacular piece of work, almost everything was compatible - and functionally identical - at the source level.

Actually I would hope that some one else here has it now too... I posted links to an auction for Mac OS X Server 1.x which cost the winner less than $30 a couple days ago.

The version in that auction (Rhapsody 5.3) could be upgraded to Rhapsody 5.5 (free download).

A perfectly legal version of Rhapsody 5.5 for PowerPC for under $30... why would you guys pass that up?

I think that i found a 1.0 a little whial ago.. (gotta ask r guru bout that...) and it is at $22.72 atm :) i may bid for the hell of it...

and it is at $22.72 atm :) i may bid for the hell of it...

The bidding ended a couple days ago... the $22.72 was the winning bid, and the shipping was fixed at $6.99.

Total......... $29.71

Like I said, Rhapsody for under $30. :D

Allright guys, Mandrake is installing in pearpc... But I still have to download the other 2 CDs :D

Obviusly... all the work we're doing is useless if we don't find a copy of Rhapsody PPC...

EDIT:

I'm downloading Mac-on-Mac... if it works well, it is one VM less. :)

---------

OT: grande jack! guarda che qua in giro bazzicano un sacco di italiani... basta tenere gli occhi aperti! ;)

Stavo pensando di metter su un sito tipo "Rhapsody Project" dove mettere tutte le info che abbiamo su Rhapsody e i nostri sviluppi... che ne dici?

There are several news:

1 - Mac on Mac doesn't want to work on Intel macs.

2 - Installation of Mandrake failed.

3 - Ubuntu doesn't want to install because it's a Live CD.

4 - BootX Bootloader doesn't work in sheepshaver with Mac OS 9.0.4

Concluding:

I'm downloading several other distros of PPC Linux, until I find the one that works.

EDIT: CherryOS doesn't work. Seems like it wasn't designed for Windows XP.

Maybe later I'll set a Virtual Machine with Windows 98

Stavo pensando di metter su un sito tipo "Rhapsody Project" dove mettere tutte le info che abbiamo su Rhapsody e i nostri sviluppi... che ne dici?

What type of info are you thinking of putting together?

There was a "Rhapsody Project" for a while, but it has merged with the NeXT Information Archive.

There have been tons of places on the net where people have put up "Rhapsody" sites, sadly most disappear within a year or two when those people lose interest because they weren't actually using Rhapsody as a viable platform to begin with.

And there are tons of sites where someone got a copy of Rhapsody, fired it up, took screenshots and put up a page. When you look at this page all you get a screenshots, and all by someone who doesn't actually know Rhapsody. Or this guy's guided tour, he doesn't actually know anything about Rhapsody. And here is another set of screenshots (most are the same as other pages).

To be fair, I do have "Rhapsody screenshots" pages (here and here), but I don't have them on my Rhapsody site for the very reason that I don't want anyone to confuse why my site exists... it is there to help people learn to use Rhapsody.

Anyways, best of luck with that.

OT: grande jack! guarda che qua in giro bazzicano un sacco di italiani... basta tenere gli occhi aperti! :(

non sarebbe male…riuscissimo ad averne una copia! ne parliamo in pm? (o nella sezione ita…)

1 - Mac on Mac doesn't want to work on Intel macs.

yes, it is ppc (and phanter) only, no tiger and no intel.

2 - Installation of Mandrake failed.

i warned you… it failed also on my real mac (well…really it installed well, whitout a boot loader, damaging the partition map… :( )

3 - Ubuntu doesn't want to install because it's a Live CD.

i said it: the live hasn't any chanche to start the x11 enviroment, you should try with the "alternate" installer.

4 - BootX Bootloader doesn't work in sheepshaver with Mac OS 9.0.4

so we're off anyway, i dont think there is another way…

Concluding:

I'm downloading several other distros of PPC Linux, until I find the one that works.

i think you'll waste your time and your connection, so…

RacerX said:

What type of info are you thinking of putting together?

There was a "Rhapsody Project" for a while, but it has merged with the NeXT Information Archive.

There have been tons of places on the net where people have put up "Rhapsody" sites, sadly most disappear within a year or two when those people lose interest because they weren't actually using Rhapsody as a viable platform to begin with.

And there are tons of sites where someone got a copy of Rhapsody, fired it up, took screenshots and put up a page. When you look at this page all you get a screenshots, and all by someone who doesn't actually know Rhapsody. Or this guy's guided tour, he doesn't actually know anything about Rhapsody. And here is another set of screenshots (most are the same as other pages).

To be fair, I do have "Rhapsody screenshots" pages (here and here), but I don't have them on my Rhapsody site for the very reason that I don't want anyone to confuse why my site exists... it is there to help people learn to use Rhapsody.

Anyways, best of luck with that.

yes, there are a lot of sites in english about it, but maybe it would be nice to do one in italian…