Rhapsody DR2

zfire89

545 posts in this topic

Actually Rhapsody and Mac OS X are quite different. Rhapsody and Mac OS 8/9 can't exist on the same partition as Rhapsody uses a proprietary UFS format and Mac OS 8/9/X all use HFS+. Later versions of Rhapsody can read/write to HFS/HFS+, but Rhapsody has to be installed on a UFS partition.

yoy're right, i forgot that.

I see... anyone tried with pearpc?

pearpc can't boot mac os 9, wich is needed to start the installation.

Or even with qemu (it has PowerPC emulation...)

can't boot os 9 too.

I don't think you should upload it until I know it's working. I'll test it tonight. I was trying to last night, but I ran out of time. I have a non-corrupted also. And, when you upload it, include the floppy images.

I am starting to send out copies of Copland and YellowBox now!

i allready had them uploaded :pirate2: that was quite redundant...

i allready had them uploaded :pirate2: that was quite redundant...

Well, I have them too. So if you need something, you can pm either me or bwhsh8r. Also, I will start sending out copies of PPC Rhapsody as soon as I get it to run, because i don't want to send it out until I know it works. I'm starting up SheepShaver right now, so I'll tell you how it goes.

Do you know if you can change the sresolution or have colors? Whenever I go into resolution, it doesn't display any.
You have to use Configure.app... the other preferences settings are actually for the PowerPC version, and are not functioning in the Intel version (this was a compromise that NeXT had made with the first version of NEXTSTEP for Intel, and Apple hadn't finished fixing it before the second developer release of Rhapsody).

All hardware settings in Rhapsody for Intel are configured via Configure.app. Just like with NeXT hardware back in NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP, Apple hardware doesn't use Configure.app because the OS is designed to be run on it.

So, should I get the PPC version and install it on "Q" or something similar?
Are you asking if you should attempt what seems impossible rather than learn how to use Configure.app?

Thousands of people have learnt how to work with Configure.app since it was introduced with NEXTSTEP 3.1 back in 1993, and the version in Rhapsody is exactly the same app (they didn't even change the GUI on it). Beyond the tons of documentation out there for Rhapsody, in the case of this app there is tons of documentation out there on both NEXTSTEP and OPENSTEP for PCs that could help. Plus you should have dealt with Configure.app back during the installation process (when it was asking you to set up your hardware).

Honestly, it is hard to believe that you got Rhapsody up and running and something this small would make you abandon a working system and attempt to set up a different one.

But if you want to go PowerPC... go with real hardware. A real Mac that would run Rhapsody cost nearly nothing these days. I own a PowerMac 8500, and I got it for free and know it'll work perfectly with Rhapsody.

I don't see trading the learning pains of Rhapsody for Intel for the futile attempts at installing Rhapsody for PowerPC in emulation as being the smart way to go.

:)

Just a general question to all you guys trying this stuff... have any of you read anything about using and working with Rhapsody? No one here should be claiming that any of this documentation is hidden or hard to find.

Guys, sorry for the dumb question, but... does Mac OS 9 apps work in Rhapsody?

If no, then does an emulator exist?

Only Rhapsody apps work in Rhapsody. No Mac OS 8/9 app will run in Rhapsody by themselves.

On the other hand, Rhapsody for PowerPC comes with Blue Box which is what would later become Classic. This runs a full version of the Mac OS (Mac OS 8.0 to 8.6 depending on which version of Rhapsody you are using) off a disk image where you can run Mac apps.

As 99% of all Mac OS 9 apps can actually be run in Mac OS 8.6 (with the proper Carbon Libraries installed), I have been able to run just about any Mac OS 8/9 app I want on my (PowerPC) Rhapsody systems.

Even better, Rhapsody takes over memory management for Blue Box, which makes for a much more stable environment than a real Mac OS 8/9 system.

Some apps that I've run in Blue Box...

Adobe Acrobat (4.0 and 5.0)

Adobe Photoshop (5.0, 5.5 and 6.0)

Adobe ImageReady (1.0, 2.0 and 3.0)

Adobe Illustrator (8.0)

Adobe PageMill (3.0)

Adobe PageMaker (5.0, 6.5)

Adobe GoLive (5.0)

Macromedia Flash (4.0 and 5.0)

QuarkXPress (3.32, 4.11)

SoundEdit Pro 16 2.0

Painter (5.0)

Bryce 3D (3.0)

CoralDRAW (8.0LE)

CoralPHOTOPAINT (8.0LE)

Coral WordPerfect (3.5e)

AppleWorks (5.0, 6.0-6.2.4)

MS Office 98

MS Outlook Express (5.0.x)

MS Internet Explorer (5.x.x)

Strata Vision 3D (4.0)

QuickTime Pro (5.0 and 6.0.x)

Netscape (4.x.x and 7.0.2)

Mozilla (1.2.1 and 1.3.1)

Mathematica (2.2.2 and 4.x)

Theorist (1.0 and 2.0.2)

etc...

You can pretty much run almost anything.

:blink:

And it is only a dumb question if the

answer was less than two clicks away

from this page... but it was actually

three clicks away. ;)

|

|

V

...we MUST find a way to properly run Rhapsody PPC ;)
And all this time I had always felt that the easiest version of Rhapsody to get running was the PowerPC version.

:blink: I mean I could have 10 systems* up and running with different PowerPC versions of Rhapsody in a couple hours... I think there already is a proper way to run Rhapsody for PowerPC.

* The 10 systems include two PowerMac 8600s, a 7500, an 8500, two Beige G3s, PowerBook G3 Wallstreet, PowerBook G3 Lombard, PowerBook 3400c, and a Power Tower Pro.

Guys, sorry for the dumb question, but... does Mac OS 9 apps work in Rhapsody?

If no, then does an emulator exist?

use bluebox (its os7.5 in side of the rhapsody... it was the old mach compatability layer... i have a .toast of that and am uploading it as we speak ;) )

max

oh and ps "Well, the reason why we can't run Rhapsody PPC is because it's corrupted, and we can't find an uncorrupted image of it." im looking... but idk when ill find it... but it will happen, if anyone has any hints then pm me other whise it might be a little whial... :2cents:

Other dumb question... does Blue Box work with x86 version of Rhapsody?

EDIT: err... everywhere's written that BlueBox was shipped with EVERY version of Rhapsody DR2... so it seems that both x86 and PPC versions already have Blue Box installed...

bwhsh8r, have you tried with some other apps that can make disc images? (disk utility under mac os x, disk copy on os 9, making an iso on a linux system…) Maybe is just toast that can't andle the rapsody disc properly… (strange, but not so strange: some old versions had problema with mac os x dvds…)

EDIT: err... everywhere's written that BlueBox was shipped with EVERY version of Rhapsody DR2... so it seems that both x86 and PPC versions already have Blue Box installed...

i think not: bluebox was only a virtualizator, not an amulator. it is more similar to vmware than bochs…

bwhsh8r, have you tried with some other apps that can make disc images? (disk utility under mac os x, disk copy on os 9, making an iso on a linux system…) Maybe is just toast that can't andle the rapsody disc properly… (strange, but not so strange: some old versions had problema with mac os x dvds…)

i think not: bluebox was only a virtualizator, not an amulator. it is more similar to vmware than bochs…

i dont make the images, i dont even test them... i just happen to have stumbled across rhapsody x86 a whial ago and decided to share as alot of people were looking for it and so i did... and idk, probly... and im looking, although i do have dr 1 for yellobox and bluebox... :) oh and, if i did it theyd be in iso since i dont have anything apple except my collection of ipods... :) and i use magic iso

max :P

i dont make the images, i dont even test them... i just happen to have stumbled across rhapsody x86 a whial ago and decided to share as alot of people were looking for it and so i did... and idk, probly... and im looking, although i do have dr 1 for yellobox and bluebox... :) oh and, if i did it theyd be in iso since i dont have anything apple except my collection of ipods... :) and i use magic iso

max :sorcerer:

so what about the ppc one?