Rhapsody DR2

zfire89

545 posts in this topic

Tada! There you go.. My problem was the selection of the video driver, Rhapsody Guru's suggestion in the Bochs guide works (no color.. yet).

Also disabling VT-X in the vmflags section helps to even start the install, after loading the drivers from the floppy image.

It's funny how unstable rhapsody could be...

-and-

...note that this was a release version with absolutely no software-imposed physical memory restrictions like in Rhapsody DR2 which only allowed 192MB of RAM. It would also be more stable than its predecessor.

What stability problems are you guys having?

I've been using Rhapsody on my IBM ThinkPad since 2000 and I've only had it crash twice in that time (both times in Create, both times it was a Postscript error that kicked me out to the login screen).

The whole reason I continued to use Rhapsody long after other versions of Mac OS X had come out was it's stability. Part of my job is servicing people's systems, and when your system crashes in front of a client that doesn't instill a lot of confidence in your abilities to fix their system.

And not once did I have Rhapsody crash on me while with a client.

So what exactly are you guys talking about? I noticed that neither of the people I quoted posted in the "do you actually use Rhapsody?" thread, so I'm not even sure that they are really using Rhapsody... but I would like to find out about these stability issues (and if we are talking about system problems or application issues).

What I hate to see is Rhapsody getting a bad reputation as being unstable when infact it is rock solid when run on the real hardware it was designed to run on. Every system I've bought to run Rhapsody was bought because I knew that it would run Rhapsody. I've been offered very inexpensive (and very fast) PCs which I turned down because I knew that they could not run Rhapsody (or OPENSTEP for that matter). As those are the only two PC operating systems I use, any PC hardware that couldn't run those operating systems would be little more than a big paperweight for me.

-and-

What stability problems are you guys having?

I've been using Rhapsody on my IBM ThinkPad since 2000 and I've only had it crash twice in that time (both times in Create, both times it was a Postscript error that kicked me out to the login screen).

The whole reason I continued to use Rhapsody long after other versions of Mac OS X had come out was it's stability. Part of my job is servicing people's systems, and when your system crashes in front of a client that doesn't instill a lot of confidence in your abilities to fix their system.

And not once did I have Rhapsody crash on me while with a client.

So what exactly are you guys talking about? I noticed that neither of the people I quoted posted in the "do you actually use Rhapsody?" thread, so I'm not even sure that they are really using Rhapsody... but I would like to find out about these stability issues (and if we are talking about system problems or application issues).

What I hate to see is Rhapsody getting a bad reputation as being unstable when infact it is rock solid when run on the real hardware it was designed to run on. Every system I've bought to run Rhapsody was bought because I knew that it would run Rhapsody. I've been offered very inexpensive (and very fast) PCs which I turned down because I knew that they could not run Rhapsody (or OPENSTEP for that matter). As those are the only two PC operating systems I use, any PC hardware that couldn't run those operating systems would be little more than a big paperweight for me.

thats cool that you use those very uncommon oss, i have to admit that ive never used rhapsody... :) but thats old news, i can vouch for rhapsody guru (matt) in saying that hes used it (in bochs)... but other than that idk, and most people i have heard that are using it are using it in bochs or other virtual system... but idk about truely compatable hardware.

max

could i get one of those fast as light PMs too please :D

I have been wanting to try Rhapsody for a while but could never find a working copy, i want to see if i can put somethign together for a native install. :D

you got it buddy!

PM HURDELING AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT TOWARDS THE VILANOUS EMPTY PM BOX!!!!!

Will it get there in time??? Will the captive be saved from the hideous lack of Rhapsody?????? find out soon...

The PM flew over the treterous teritory of the hideous INTERNET

(GASP!!!!!!!!) YES, OUR HEROS HAVE SUCCEDED AGAIN

BWHSH8R AND HIS TRUSTY SIDE KICK RHAPSODY GURU WILL BE ABLE TO PROVIDE RHAPSODY ONCE MORE!!!!!!!!!

max

You know, there are real CDs and a Virtual PC 4 VHD file floating around. I think the little birdies at OSBA gave it to the world. Just pointing that out.

Umm... So I wasn't supposed to post that?

Suzuka how did you manage that?and which version of parallels do you use?

Rhapsody guru, I tried bochs all the way, but got the same error message all the time "mach_init failed errno 20" I could install in vmware, but my mouse doesnt work well.Plus i prefer osx and parallels, but with that, I also have some error message.

WOW! This is amazing! Who ever knew that anybody would have interest in this rather obscure OS which is based on my favorite OS, NeXTstep!

By the way, my name is Joe and I am happy to join the forums.

NeXT Freak

Hi NeXT Freak! Welcome to the forums! Glad you are as much into NeXT as I am.

:D

Guru