Rhapsody DR2

zfire89

545 posts in this topic

Other dumb question... does Blue Box work with x86 version of Rhapsody?

EDIT: err... everywhere's written that BlueBox was shipped with EVERY version of Rhapsody DR2... so it seems that both x86 and PPC versions already have Blue Box installed...

No, x86 Rhapsody did not ship with BlueBox since BB requires a PPC processor. Pretty much the same reason OS X intel doesn't have Classic...

ok.

RacerX, so you have a working ppc disc?

RacerX does have a working disk witch he legitimately purchased, but leave him alone as he does not want to be involved with the quite questionably legal sharing of beta os's... please DO NOT BOTHER RACERX AS HE DOES NOT WANT TO BE INVOLVED... thank you and leave him alone, if he wants to share he will announce it himself... :)

thank you

max

OH WAIT!!!!!! I HAVE DR 1 THAT IS ALLMOST CERTAINLY PPC? (I forgot ok??? buisy day lol)

RacerX does have a working disk witch he legitimately purchased, but leave him alone as he does not want to be involved with the quite questionably legal sharing of beta os's... please DO NOT BOTHER RACERX AS HE DOES NOT WANT TO BE INVOLVED... thank you and leave him alone, if he wants to share he will announce it himself... :D

thank you

max

ok, sure.

Actually I found it. But all it does nothing when I change it. What driver should I have selected?

try "Motion 771 PCI Display Adapter (4MB modes)", DECchip 21041 Based Adapter and the classic soundblaster 16.

I'm asking lots of friends who use DC++, emule and other P2P to search the PPC version of Rhapsody... it's just a matter of time now... :)

P.S.: RacerX, I respect your decision of not sharing your copy of PPC RHAPSODY, but can I ask you a favour...

can you try installing your copy of PPC Rhapsody in SheepShaver and tell us if it works or not? If you don't want to, then don't worry, I predict that in a week we'll have our copy oh PPC Rhapsody :D

Thanks anyway

P.S.: RacerX, I respect your decision of not sharing your copy of PPC RHAPSODY, but can I ask you a favour...

can you try installing your copy of PPC Rhapsody in SheepShaver and tell us if it works or not?

Okay, why not... I'll give it the ol' college try.

Well, to start I grabbed a copy of the ROM from one of my 8600s (Rhapsody DR2 was officially supported on the 8600). I then configured SheepShaver and fired it up booting from the Rhapsody DR2 installation media.

Once I had the system up and running from the CD, I fired up the Rhapsody installer...

ss_01.jpg

I proceeded until I got to the part where I select the volume to install on...

ss_02.jpg

... but there is no valid volumes. Rather odd, I have a volume sitting on the desktop, why won't the Rhapsody installer work with it?

Thinking that maybe the format of the volume isn't recognizable by the installer, I fire up Drive Setup...

ss_03.jpg

That is even odder... why won't either the Rhapsody installer or Drive Setup see my target volume?

Just to see if there was anything wrong with the volume formatting, I run Disk First Aid...

ss_034.jpg

... where we find the answer. SheepShaver treats all volumes like they are big floppy drives.

That is why you can't install Mac OS X in SheepShaver... and why you can't install Rhapsody in SheepShaver.

Okay, why not... I'll give it the ol' college try.

Well, to start I grabbed a copy of the ROM from one of my 8600s (Rhapsody DR2 was officially supported on the 8600). I then configured SheepShaver and fired it up booting from the Rhapsody DR2 installation media.

Once I had the system up and running from the CD, I fired up the Rhapsody installer...

ss_01.jpg

I proceeded until I got to the part where I select the volume to install on...

ss_02.jpg

... but there is no valid volumes. Rather odd, I have a volume sitting on the desktop, why won't the Rhapsody installer work with it?

Thinking that maybe the format of the volume isn't recognizable by the installer, I fire up Drive Setup...

ss_03.jpg

That is even odder... why won't either the Rhapsody installer or Drive Setup see my target volume?

Just to see if there was anything wrong with the volume formatting, I run Disk First Aid...

ss_034.jpg

... where we find the answer. SheepShaver treats all volumes like they are big floppy drives.

That is why you can't install Mac OS X in SheepShaver... and why you can't install Rhapsody in SheepShaver.

thank you jackoverfull, don luca, and racerx. thats interesting that it would treat drives as floopys... hmm wierd... oh, and don luca, you wont find ne thing on those networks ^_^ i use them all the time :-p (music and videos are aboout the only thing legit on there... but good luck none the less)

max

mmm... we have to find out how to make Rhapsody recognize SS images...

I've got few ideas, but I can't work because the Rhapsody's ISO is missing...

bwhsh8r, can you upload the Rhapsody DR1 (if it is PPC, obviously...)

Btw... I found someone on ebay who is selling his copy ho Rhapsody, can't remember the link... if you want I'll post the link here, if someone's interested...

I've got few ideas, but I can't work because the Rhapsody's ISO is missing...

Why do you need to wait for a copy of Rhapsody to work on this? :)

The problem is that SheepShaver has classified all mounted volumes as "floppies". If you find a work around you don't need Rhapsody to test it, just use Drive Setup. If it recognizes the volume, then the Rhapsody installer would recognize the volume too.

Frankly, what this is going to most likely require is rewriting SheepShaver to not treat volumes as floppies. I would guess that it was originally written this way because the original developer found that emulating either a SCSI bus or EIDE bus was prohibitively complex.

I applaud your enthusiasm, but I highly doubt that you have a realistic chance at this. If emulating Rhapsody is your goal, your best bet is to return to the Intel version.

mmm, maybe is possible to have rhapsody in sheepshaver, although i'm not really sure.

it could be possible to install rhapsody to a real mac, make a disc image of its disk and try to use it on ss…

that if rhapsody doesn't matter if it is on an external or internal hd, once installed. anyway i remember some users having problems with os x 10.0 on firewire hds, so i think that it will end in a kernel panic…

that if rhapsody doesn't matter if it is on an external or internal hd, once installed. anyway i remember some users having problems with os x 10.0 on firewire hds, so i think that it will end in a kernel panic…

As it stands right now, it would end before it even begins.

Rhapsody can be installed on an external SCSI hard drive... but what we are faced with is how SheepShaver deals with volumes at all (it treats them all as "floppies"). There is no way that I know of for pointing OpenFirmware at a floppy volume. OpenFirmware recognizes either SCSI or EIDE volumes for booting, and we have neither here.

And you really can't compare Rhapsody to Mac OS X when looking at the boot process because Rhapsody's process is quite different. Mac OS X's process is actually more like Mac OS 8.5-9.x than Rhapsody's.

I know that you guys have even less experience with the PowerPC version of Rhapsody than the Intel version, so you need to know that the boot process for Rhapsody on Macs is nothing like the normal Mac boot process. If I was to put a Rhapsody hard drive in a supported Mac and tried to start up the system, the Mac would sit there not seeing a bootable volume.

You have to specifically program the firmware to see and boot a Rhapsody volume. The two ways to do this are via the installer or the System Disk utility. And if the battery dies on your Mac, then you'll be stuck having to set up a Rhapsody volume as a start up disk each time you start your system.

We are first assuming that SheepShaver will except this type of programming in firmware (which is a bit of a stretch right there) and then we need the volume to be on a proper bus to be a bootable volume.

Guys, this Rhapsody on SheepShaver thing is going to be a massive undertaking... so massive that what you'll most likely end up with is a new emulator based on SheepShaver... but no longer SheepShaver.

If any one here has the technical expertise to rewrite (actually, create in this case) large parts of SheepShaver and don't mind expending a couple hundred man hours for free, then please, by all means, solve these issues.

Otherwise, I think this SheepShaver thing has ventured into the area of fantasy.

Don't even try. I burned the Rhapsody ISO to a disc and the finder, or anyting else for that matter, doesn't recognize it. I am lucky that Parallels doesn't check the finder, but the disk drive itself. I tried restoring it to an external hard drive. It did the same thing.

As it stands right now, it would end before it even begins.

Rhapsody can be installed on an external SCSI hard drive... but what we are faced with is how SheepShaver deals with volumes at all (it treats them all as "floppies"). There is no way that I know of for pointing OpenFirmware at a floppy volume. OpenFirmware recognizes either SCSI or EIDE volumes for booting, and we have neither here.

oldworld openfirmware vesions booted perfectly from floppyes and newworld recent ones should boot from any blessed volume fast enough that it can see at startup time.

And you really can't compare Rhapsody to Mac OS X when looking at the boot process because Rhapsody's process is quite different. Mac OS X's process is actually more like Mac OS 8.5-9.x than Rhapsody's.

I know that you guys have even less experience with the PowerPC version of Rhapsody than the Intel version, so you need to know that the boot process for Rhapsody on Macs is nothing like the normal Mac boot process. If I was to put a Rhapsody hard drive in a supported Mac and tried to start up the system, the Mac would sit there not seeing a bootable volume.

You have to specifically program the firmware to see and boot a Rhapsody volume. The two ways to do this are via the installer or the System Disk utility. And if the battery dies on your Mac, then you'll be stuck having to set up a Rhapsody volume as a start up disk each time you start your system.

there is a third way of doing it on newworld macs: doing it from the open firmware shell. anyway i'm not if sheepshaver has one: i suspect that it emulates an oldworld mac…

Don't even try. I burned the Rhapsody ISO to a disc and the finder, or anyting else for that matter, doesn't recognize it. I am lucky that Parallels doesn't check the finder, but the disk drive itself. I tried restoring it to an external hard drive. It did the same thing.

the x86 iso? i tried to, no luck.

oldworld openfirmware vesions booted perfectly from floppyes

Not when configured for Rhapsody... floppies aren't part of the PCI bus (a requirement for Rhapsody volumes).

and newworld recent ones should boot from any blessed volume fast enough that it can see at startup time.
Rhapsody volumes aren't "blessed"... HFS/HFS+ volumes can be blessed.

there is a third way of doing it on newworld macs: doing it from the open firmware shell. anyway i'm not if sheepshaver has one: i suspect that it emulates an oldworld mac…
And you would find that once you take Open Firmware down the boot path (as opposed to the bye path that is use to start from the ROM and finished with either floppy, hard drive or CD drive) that floppy volumes are no longer an option.

Further, past a certain point, Open Firmware no longer works for Rhapsody volumes on Macs. There was a window of hardware support for Rhapsody, and anything out side of it is outside the possibility of being used.

Also, one of the requirements for running Rhapsody on a Mac is a PCI bus (which the firmware can read), this was why the PowerBook 3400c and 2400c can run Rhapsody... they both have PCI buses.

I've been working with Rhapsody for 8 years... I have a pretty good idea how this stuff works. But if you don't want to take my word on this stuff, there is tons of documentation on it out there that you can read.

At any rate, without a proper understanding of the boot process of both the real Mac hardware and how it has to be modified to boot Rhapsody, you aren't going to know what to fix in SheepShaver anyways.

Not when configured for Rhapsody... floppies aren't part of the PCI bus (a requirement for Rhapsody volumes).

ok, so no firewire boot to, i suppose, only internal and scsi hds…

Rhapsody volumes aren't "blessed"... HFS/HFS+ volumes can be blessed.

ufs can be blessed too.

And you would find that once you take Open Firmware down the boot path (as opposed to the bye path that is use to start from the ROM and finished with either floppy, hard drive or CD drive) that floppy volumes are no longer an option.

ok

Further, past a certain point, Open Firmware no longer works for Rhapsody volumes on Macs. There was a window of hardware support for Rhapsody, and anything out side of it is outside the possibility of being used.

yes, like for older os x releases. first generation imacs g3 seems to work fine…

I've been working with Rhapsody for 8 years... I have a pretty good idea how this stuff works. But if you don't want to take my word on this stuff, there is tons of documentation on it out there that you can read.

sorry, i wasn't intended to offend you, i'm only trying to find a way…

obviously i'm taking your words: you seems to be the only one to actually have it!

At any rate, without a proper understanding of the boot process of both the real Mac hardware and how it has to be modified to boot Rhapsody, you aren't going to know what to fix in SheepShaver anyways.

well, i will surely not fix ss: anyway i haven't the programming knowledge and i'm not interested to emulate the ppc version…

but i'm really curious (i know, it's one of my main characteristics! ;) ) about that strange boot process, it wold be really nice if you'll like to explain a bit of it…

SheepShaver emulates the ROM you gave it.

If you use the newworld.rom included in MacOS9 CD, then SheepShaver emulates the newworld mac.

i'm not so shure: mac os needs a rom, but starting from mac os 8.6 it loaded it from the hard drive, on newworld or oldworld macs. can you try to enter in the open firmware shell? ss can run linux (with yaboot)? i think not. if yes so it emulates also a newworld, no doubth about it.