Rhapsody DR2

zfire89

545 posts in this topic

Well, the thing is it still does everything that it originally did, and Apple was still selling it for $499 as late as Summer of 2001 (that is five years ago... same age as Windows XP).

So yeah, if all you want to do is look at it, $100 is a pretty expensive peep show. But if you know what you can do with it (unlimited client AppleShare server, NetBoot server for a bunch of systems, WebObjects server, etc)... $100 is a hell of a bargain. Both this and AppleShare IP 6 are still outstanding server solutions. And neither has stopped functioning.

The problem is mind set... and most of you guys are properly brainwashed into believing only new will do. And that is exactly what software and hardware companies want you to think. Software doesn't stop working when it is replaced by newer software on the market.

90% of what today's software does the same titles were doing back in 2000. Is that 10% of additional functionality worth hundreds of dollars more for the new software compared to software from five to eight years ago that is selling on ebay? Of course most of you guys are really young, so you think that all the things we do with computers today couldn't possibly be done with older computers (even though most of those things were being done 10 to 15 years ago too). But the functionality of this old software hasn't just evaporated with time.

i totally agree :D

i used my powerbook 1400 (thet really before was my mather's) for almost 10 years, i only changed it wen 1) i wanted to use the interenet from my room 2) someting went wrong (i heard a strange sound turning it on and the internal speaker stopped working, the screen started malfunzioning and the adb started crashing when the keyboard -but not the mouse!- was plugged in.).

Well, here is the thing... Mac OS X Server is very picky about where it is installed on your system.

i see… ;)

It has to be on a volume on the master drive of an IDE/ATA bus. It also has to be on a volume no more than 1 GB away from the beginning of a disk (and it is best to have it at the beginning).

ok.

If you are going to try to install via a preinstalled version of the Mac OS on a partition of the drive you are going to install on... put the Mac OS on the second partition. You'll have to partition as the installer will not install onto a volume that the system is currently booted from (the installer places a script on the target partition with the options for installation that you selected, when the system reboots from the Rhapsody partition of the install CD, the installation software on it looks for that script to tell it how to install the software).

very good, as i hoped! :D

To be on the safe side, I'd install the System Disk utility in your OS to make sure it is compatible with the installer (there is a system extension that the Mac OS needs to function correctly with the System Disk utility, I'm guessing that the installer would need it too).

what is that? i can simple take it from the installer cd, right?

I think that should get you around most of the hurdles you would face doing something like that.

good :D

And this could also work for installing on an iBook using 1.0/1.1... but it is a gamble. I have only ever seen 1.2 or 1.2v3 successfully install on one of those.

so, if i can i'll get the 1.2/1.2v3, but it could be not a waste of time or money getting the 1.0 or the 1.1…

BlackShadowWolf said:

Alright thanks RacerX, im now really considering buying it off Amazon, problem is I read somewhere it doesnt have DCHP, which means how would I be able to get it to the Internet? I have a 802.1x network at school, and Wi-Fi at my house that uses WEP. Any suggestions.

i dont know that this is true, anyway it should be always possible to fill in the IPs manually…

i dont know if the os x server had the airpot driver, if yes it should work witouth problems with 802.11b with wep (assuming that your mac has an airport card, obviusly…)

but I the only things i usually have on the iBook is Office for Mac (doing papers), Internet Connection (duh) and iTunes, technically it doesnt have to be iTunes as I burned all my music to cds to remove the DRM so now everything is DRM free.

If there are apps that you can get for Mac OS X Server 1.2 that can fulfill these needs, then I'll be more willing to put out more money for OS X Server.

office and iTunes will not work (well, they'll work in the os 9 versions in bluebox…) but i'm sure that there are alternatives.

if you want something simple you should try to look to the antiword service to read and modify msword docs (it existed for 10.2 and is now part of os x, i think to remember it existed also for nextstep…) and a cd reader/ripper certainly exists.

PS: if i put OS X Server on, can I still put another OS on, like OS 9.2.2 or Panther on another partition??

yes.

BlackShadowWolf said:

i dont know that this is true, anyway it should be always possible to fill in the IPs manually…

i dont know if the os x server had the airpot driver, if yes it should work witouth problems with 802.11b with wep (assuming that your mac has an airport card, obviusly…)

Well I found a website that has a little more info on the situation.

Mac OS X Server ReadMe

It says "Is DHCP included?

No. However this isn't a big problem. A DHCP installer package is available on Softrak. "

Anyone know what that is?

Edit: I found something that maybe of use DHCP software.

It has DHCP For Mac OS X, but I cant tell what versions it will work for, as I am not on a mac at the moment and its a disk image.

Alright thanks RacerX, im now really considering buying it off Amazon, problem is I read somewhere it doesnt have DCHP, which means how would I be able to get it to the Internet? I have a 802.1x network at school, and Wi-Fi at my house that uses WEP. Any suggestions.
Well, Apple never made Server compatible with wireless networking because (as they put it) it is a server platform.

As for DHCP, Apple didn't include it because (again) it was supposed to be a server... but that didn't stop people from building DHCP for Rhapsody. It is out there if you need it (I don't use it as static IPs work fine for me... even on my DHCP network).

On second thought, im not sure if I could even use Mac OS X Server for anything...

Wow, I've never heard that one before. :blink:

i mean I would love to attempt to put a NetBoot image on the harddrive and see if I can successfully set up a NetBoot network, and also actually be able to say i set up my own network, that wins resume points .

but I the only things i usually have on the iBook is Office for Mac (doing papers), Internet Connection (duh) and iTunes, technically it doesnt have to be iTunes as I burned all my music to cds to remove the DRM so now everything is DRM free.

If there are apps that you can get for Mac OS X Server 1.2 that can fulfill these needs, then I'll be more willing to put out more money for OS X Server.

Well, lets look at what apps will run in Blue Box?

Both Office 98 and 2001 run great in Blue Box (Office 2001 requires Mac OS 8.1). You can also run AppleWorks 6.2.8 and WordPerfect 3.5e (which is free). And as I listed before

Adobe Acrobat (4.0 and 5.0)

Adobe Photoshop (5.0, 5.5 and 6.0)

Adobe ImageReady (1.0, 2.0 and 3.0)

Adobe Illustrator (8.0)

Adobe PageMill (3.0)

Adobe PageMaker (5.0, 6.5)

Adobe GoLive (5.0)

AppleWorks/ClarisWorks

Macromedia Flash (4.0 and 5.0)

QuarkXPress (3.32, 4.11)

SoundEdit Pro 16 2.0

Painter (5.0)

Bryce 3D (3.0)

AppleWorks (5.0, 6.0-6.2.4)

MS Office (98 and 2001)

MS Outlook Express (5.0.x)

MS Internet Explorer (5.x.x)

Strata Vision 3D (4.0)

QuickTime Pro (5.0 and 6.0.x)

Netscape (4.x.x and 7.0.2)

Mozilla (1.2.1 and 1.3.1)

Mathematica (2.2.2 and 4.x)

Theorist (1.0 and 2.0.2)

iTunes 1.0

But I don't feel I need to spend that much time in Blue Box because most of my bases are covered in Yellow Box. Hear our some of the apps for Rhapsody (by category):

Productivity (office) applications

Marlow:
Word processor

AFS WriteUp:
Word Processor

TextEdit:
Word Processor

GTextEdit:
Word Processor

Mesa3:
Spreadsheet app

TimeCard:
Time tracker and invoicing app

OmniLibrarian:
Search app

OmniDictionary:
Dictionary app

WordNet:
Dictionary & thesaurus app

DigitalWEBster:
Web dictionary service

TextExtras:
Additional text services

Stickies:
ToDos/Notes app

Image applications

TIFFany3:
Image editing app

PixelNhance:
Image correction app

ToyViewer:
Image editing app

ToyAlbum:
Image browser

SliceAndDice:
Image slicer

CuttingRoom:
Image slicer

GIFfun:
GIF animation app

Preview:
Image and Postscript viewer

OmniImage:
Image viewer

SWImageViewer:
Image viewer

Graphic design applications

Create:
Page layout, illustration and web design

AFS PasteUP:
Page layout

GlyphiX:
Flow chart app

PDFView:
PDF app

PStill:
PDF distiller

OmniPDF:
PDF viewer

Web design applications

Create:
Page layout, illustration and web design

OmniWeb:
Web browser and HTML editor

HTMLEdit:
WYSIWYG HTML editor

WebObjects:
Internet applications platform

Video applications

QuickTimePlayer:
Multimedia player

QuickTime Streaming:
Video server

Audio applications

MacOSXAmp:
MP3 player

OpenAmp:
MP3 player

Resound:
Sound editor

Sound:
Demo sound app

Internet applications

OmniWeb:
Web browser and HTML editor

RBrowser:
FTP client

MailViewer:
e-mail client

SWSignatures:
MailViewer services

Fire:
Chat client

WebGrabber:
Site grabber

PopOver:
e-mail client

Utilities

OpenUp:
Archiving app

PackUpAndGo:
Archiving app

ScanOmatic:
Scanner software

maX:
X11 server

Xnext:
X11 server

Fiend:
Dock replacement

LaunchBar:
Launch app

Miscellaneous

Mandelbrot:
Math app

Draw:
Demo drawing app

Calculator:
Basic calculator

teTeX:
TeX typesetting engine

Symbols:
Font character pallet

Games

Quake II

Heretic

DOOM

Balling

Hextris

FarmersMahJongg

Risk

SokoSave

Chess

BoinkOut

Many of these I've written about extensively on my sites.

For example, I've talked about TextEdit here (for Mac OS X), here (history of TextEdit) and here (TextEdit in Rhapsody). I've talked about Create here (for Mac OS X), here and here (for Rhapsody). And I've talked about ToyViewer here (for Mac OS X) and here (for Rhapsody).

I've covered a lot of stuff... you guys might be amazed at what is on my sites. I mean, think about it, I've covered more in my posts on this site than you would find on most any other site covering Rhapsody... and I haven't even gone all that deep into it here because I don't have the time.

PS: if i put OS X Server on, can I still put another OS on, like OS 9.2.2 or Panther on another partition??

As pointed out in another post... yes, with conditions.

Well I found a website that has a little more info on the situation.

Mac OS X Server ReadMe

It says "Is DHCP included?

No. However this isn't a big problem. A DHCP installer package is available on Softrak. "

Anyone know what that is?

Yes, I know.

Scott doesn't keep that site up any more... part of the reason why you would have found the same info on my site.

Basically, you'll need to ask someone who has all that type of stuff... but I can't imagine where in the world you would find someone like that. :blink:

Why the heck are you guys trying to get Rhapsody PPC working? If all you want is Rhapsody, just use Parallels/Bochs. I'm running it right now!

I tried the alternate Ubuntu thing but it didn't worked.

It isn't true that we cannot start the X11 environment, because when I launched the Mandrake installer, it loaded X11.

There are 2 more ways of having Linux PPC working:

1 --> install Darwin, then use it as a bootloader, so we bypass the yaboot loader (which is probably the main problem)

2 --> Use a guide I found on Debian Linux PPC, which is supposed to work.

http://wiki.pearpc.net/index.php?title=Pow...tallation_Guide

I'd really like to start a serious project about getting Rhapsody up and running in a virtual machine along with Mac OSX, Windows or Linux.

If we fail, it'll always remain as a very nice diary. :blink:

Have you ever heard of Parallels and Bochs? We already have Rhapsody up and running, so why do we need PPC?

I was replying to jackoverfull.

However, it seems that SS doesn't want to boot Linux PPC. It tries to load it but fails, so it stucks for 10 seconds, then eject the CD.

Now, I don't know if this is because of the CD, or is because of SS.

I'll make one last try downloading a Live CD of Linux for PPC, then , if it fails, I'd say that SS emulates an oldworld mac.

Allright Guys, I'm bringin you Good news and Bad news.

Let's start from the bad ones:

SS emulates a PowerMac 9500, which is an oldworld mac. So, no way.

Good news:

MacOnLinux supports OpenFirmware and NvRAM, so I'm creating a new Virtual Machine in Paralles where run Linux, and will use MacOnLinux from there (again, VM into another VM...).

No, you're wrong. SS emulates whatever ROM you give it. I have both an oldworld and a newworld ROM. Wait a sec... I was using an oldworld ROM... Maybe if I feed it my newworld rom it'll boot Copland... I'll try it.

RacerX, I can sense some sarcasm in there somewhere, and if Im wrong well :blink:.

First off, is that when Im at home I live with a family that is less than technically inclined, so putting up a server of some kind will be no benefit to them, specially since my parents still use AOL for Broadband even though we're paying extra for it :blink:. Any server knowledge is for my benefit and knowledge only, as I want to be able to understand how to setup a network and things, because well when networks break down, you need people to know how to work it, but im sure you'll have more experience in these areas then I'll ever have, thats why Im asking for help :P.

Second, thanks for listing all those Apps that can run under Rhapsody/Mac OS X Server. I took another long look at your site, which is laid out pretty well, but anyway I could see a lot of the apps were available to download, so I guess that solves the App question. The only problem I would have is not being able to get online with it as thats the only way I would be able to set up the server, or wait. brainstorm time, would this layout work, [as in would the iBook be able to connect to the internet, or will other computers be able to access it?

iBook<--Ethernet Cable--->iMac G5<----Airport Extreme--->802.11Router/Broadband---->Internet

The iMac would have internet conncection sharing enabled on the ethernet port.

I hope thats not too confusing for anyone :D . I know the internet sharing can be done and Ive accessed my iMac from my iBook through ethernet, even by only starting up from the OS9 cd.

So in conculsion im sorry if i doubted your knowledge in this area, and Im looking for help so I know if im making a good choice and purchasing the software, thanks :).

RacerX, I can sense some sarcasm in there somewhere, and if Im wrong well :).

A little... the DHCP software that Scott talked about you can find here.

With all the information I've put into my sites, it is a little funny to see people hunt the internet for answers first. The reason I started the site was that many of the sites I had used of information on Rhapsody start disappearing from the net.

The only problem I would have is not being able to get online with it as thats the only way I would be able to set up the server, or wait. brainstorm time, would this layout work, [as in would the iBook be able to connect to the internet, or will other computers be able to access it?

iBook<--Ethernet Cable--->iMac G5<----Airport Extreme--->802.11Router/Broadband---->Internet

The iMac would have internet conncection sharing enabled on the ethernet port.

I hope thats not too confusing for anyone :D . I know the internet sharing can be done and Ive accessed my iMac from my iBook through ethernet, even by only starting up from the OS9 cd.

I've never tried it myself, but it sounds like a reasonable way of getting it connected.

So in conculsion im sorry if i doubted your knowledge in this area, and Im looking for help so I know if im making a good choice and purchasing the software, thanks :).

I didn't think you were doubting me... I just get the strange feeling that people aren't using the resources that are there for them.

As for the question of buying or not buying, in the end that is a personal choice. For me it is easy because I've been using Rhapsody so long that it is second nature to work in it and I have all the resources at hand to make the most of it. I don't expect anyone else to use it the same way I do... but if they want to, I've tried to make the needed information available.

Why the heck are you guys trying to get Rhapsody PPC working? If all you want is Rhapsody, just use Parallels/Bochs. I'm running it right now!

The x86 version of Rhapsody doesn't have BlueBox, so if we want to use it to run Mac OS9 apps we have to use the PPC version.

Have you ever heard of Parallels and Bochs? We already have Rhapsody up and running, so why do we need PPC?

Sure, it was me who found out the way to make it work with colors and fast (VM in VM).

I already replied to this.

No, you're wrong. SS emulates whatever ROM you give it. I have both an oldworld and a newworld ROM. Wait a sec... I was using an oldworld ROM... Maybe if I feed it my newworld rom it'll boot Copland... I'll try it.

That's what I initially thought.

Unfortunately, SS emulates a PowerMac 9500 which is Oldworld, no matter the ROM you give him.

Good luck with Copland :P

because we have old macs that will run fine whit it and we want to use it on them…

sure (and i installed it on guestpc), but why emulate if you have a real hardware?

no a newworld rom doesn't really exists. in the mid of '90s apple started a transition to the old mac os system, based on an internal rom, to a new system architecture, based on a file, called "rom", that was in the system folder. this file was used by oldworld and newwolrd.

if you can, so go in openfrimware…

i need the new vesa driver for rhapsody...

Can you give me this driver?

If one existed I would be more than happy to give it to you...

Sadly, there isn't one.

A number of people have tried to build one (there is plenty of documentation on building drivers for Rhapsody if anyone wishes to take a shot at it) and others have tried to used the ones from the OPENSTEP 4.2 Patch 4 driver set, but to date everyone has failed to get VESA support in Rhapsody.

after install of rhapsody boot rhapsody until "configuring device drivers" and stops...

have you a solution? :)

You could pick a driver... or not pick a driver, if you are on a VESA system then you are going to end up with grayscale at 640x480 no matter what.

And even if there were drivers, this wouldn't be the time to install them... you'd install them after the installation of the system was finished. You can always bring up Configure.app again later.

Hey everyone MacOS X Server 10.2 with 10 User License in Retail Box New/Mfr $99.99

Anyone buying this should make sure that they need those server apps. Mac OS X Server 10.2 is Mac OS X 10.2 plus a suite of server applications (in the same way that Mac OS X Server 1.x is Rhapsody with a suite of server applications).

I love 10.2... I still use it as my primary OS (on my PowerBook G3) and it is installed on two of the five Mac OS X systems I own (the other three are running 10.3).

But what ever you do, do not mistake Mac OS X Server 10.x as having any more of a relation to Rhapsody than any retail version of Mac OS X 10.x.

If you understand that, but really need a great server OS, I highly recommend Mac OS X Server 10.2. It has been running two of my client's servers for the last 3 years without a single issue from either.

This is most likely a good time to cover identifying Rhapsody releases.

Most people... they don't know much about these things. Most assume that Mac OS X is Mac OS X, and there were hardly any differences.

Infact, Apple was counting on this when they renamed what was Rhapsody Server to Mac OS X Server. Apple promised to deliver Mac OS X by 1999, and they had a product for sale in 1999 named Mac OS X... only it really wasn't because Mac OS X wasn't finished yet (and wouldn't be for a couple more years).

So how do you tell one Mac OS X Server from another?

Good question. Specially since people on ebay will regularly mislabel Mac OS X Server either out of ignorance or an attempt to increase it's value.

Lets look at a recent Mac OS X Server auction...here.

This person states in his description that he is selling "version 10.1". The thing is, all Mac OS X Server 10.x releases have a big "X" across the front... and the photos with this auction show green CDs with an "S" made of gear wheels.

auction_example.jpg

Image of items for sale in auction and

description given

So that is how I knew this was an auction for Mac OS X Server 1.x and not Mac OS X Server 10.1.

Further, this auction includes the Third Party Applications CD. This CD was only included with the pre-1.2 releases of Mac OS X Server 1.x, which makes this Rhapsody 5.3.

Now, I'm just guessing, but the odds are that the seller would point to the media saying 1.1 and he would most likely say he mistook that as 10.1, which is how I arrived at this being an auction for one of the mislabeled Mac OS X Server 1.0 sets.

This is what I mean by the fact that Rhapsody is out there, you just have to look hard enough. For someone who didn't know, this would seem like an auction for Mac OS X Server 10.1... when in fact it was for Rhapsody 5.3.

Sadly, this means that someone who was searching for Mac OS X Server 10.1 will have been sold something they didn't want while people searching for copies of Rhapsody would also be missing out on this.

Which is most likely why it sold for so little. :)

That is why you can't install Mac OS X in SheepShaver... and why you can't install Rhapsody in SheepShaver.

This is NOT really why you can't install rhapsody in sheepshaver. The real reason is that sheepshaver does NOT support ANY MMU functionality. It uses hacks to get around this, but this is the reason Sheepshaver only supports up to Mac OS 9.0.4, and not 9.1/9.2. The floppy thing is a minor issue, but you will NOT be able to install it in sheepshaver.

If you can get your hands on it, DR2 was released as a intel binary. I BELIEVE you can run it in vmware.

Umm... yea just so you know, I found TONS of more stuff. NextStep, OpenStep, Rhapsody, Mac OS X Server 1.x, and more. I seriously hit the jackpot on this one. PLEASE do not PM me yet (unless you're Max or Matt), I gotta get things organized and make sure they're not corrupted. I'll tell you when you're ready to download.

A list:

Mac OS X Server 1.0

Mac OS X Public Beta

Mac OS X 10.0

Mac OS X 10.1

MachTen (Seems interesting, google it for more info)

Rhapsody DR1 Intel

Rhapsody DR1 PPC

Rhapsody DR2 Intel

Rhapsody DR2 PPC

YellowBox for Windows DR1

YellowBox for Windows DR2

NeXTSTEP 3.1 (Intel)

NeXTSTEP 3.3 (I think it's Intel also)

OPENSTEP 4.0 (Don't know which processor)

OPENSTEP 4.2 (Don't know which processor)

TONS AND TONS of OPENSTEP and NeXTSTEP software

Various Rhapsody Manuals

Just about every Mac OS that existed, from 0.1 to 9.1

Various AUX Versions and manuals

BlueBox

Two builds of Copland

TONS and TONS and TONS of Mac OS Classic Software

And, since there are so many folders I haven't yet explored, probably much more. The stuff is in either iso or toast format.

Again, DON'T PM ME until I say people can. This is a lot of stuff and I gotta figure out how to get it to people. The software is on an admin of a mac abandonware site's ftp server.

If you can get your hands on it, DR2 was released as a intel binary. I BELIEVE you can run it in vmware.
I'm assuming that you are addressing this part to everyone in general as I have all the versions of Rhapsody (both Intel and PowerPC). And my attempt at installing in SheepShaver was by request of another member, I tend to only use Rhapsody on real hardware (I prefer it to be usable). :whistle:

I'm assuming that you are addressing this part to everyone in general as I have all the versions of Rhapsody (both Intel and PowerPC). And my attempt at installing in SheepShaver was by request of another member, I tend to only use Rhapsody on real hardware (I prefer it to be usable). :whistle:

Yes, it's definately more usable on real hardware from what I've heard. I'm going to get an old PC just to run Rhapsody on it, I'll keep you guys updated.

WOW ARIX... nice collection. Btw... have you ever thought of using MegaUpload or Max's FTP server? MacDomain may also be able to host the files for you. Just give them to me and I will intercede to the Admins for you. :(

Guru

Thanks! MegaUpload sucks, so I wouldn't use that... I didn't even know Max had an FTP server, and MacDomain downloads aren't currently working (some of them don't even work on 8080) Anyway, hosting isn't a problem, because I have just about the best hosting account in the world, virtually unlimited space, virtually unlimited bandwidth, and tons of other stuff for $45 a year (Not Kidding! You can get that account at http://oceanhosting.net/ ) I plan to host the stuff on that, or just give direct links to where I got them.

OK, so this is how it's going to work:

I will upload beetween 1 and 2 packages per day, and tell you what they are. When I name the package you want, you can pm me for it. Today's package is:

OPENSTEP 4.2 User

Tommorrow's Package is:

Rhapsody DR2 PPC

&

Mac OS X Server

The next day:

YellowBox for Windows DR2 and possibly NeXTSTEP 3.1

and I'll keep you updated when I finish each one.

OK, so this is how it's going to work:

I will upload beetween 1 and 2 packages per day, and tell you what they are. When I name the package you want, you can pm me for it. Today's package is:

OPENSTEP 4.2 User

Tommorrow's Package is:

Rhapsody DR2 PPC

&

Mac OS X Server

The next day:

YellowBox for Windows DR2 and possibly NeXTSTEP 3.1

and I'll keep you updated when I finish each one.

nice thanks AriX ;)

max