[pre-release] macOS Monterey

1,859 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, antuneddu said:

Hello dear, Unmm this B7 is detecting an obstacle course, it does not come out 😆  honestly I have not tried the installation from usb (created with the suggestions of @MifJpnAlphaPlus) Meantime  I have created another usb with a more simplified method (thanks to @PG7 for BetterZip)  let's see how it goes 🤞

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sMDEfK5YwqwsU8ema_0tqBVOv1IflYPg/view?usp=sharing

You can use Terminal as well to put the SharedSupprot on the desktop, Then you don't need BetterZip. InstallAssistant.pkg has to be present the Desktop already:

cd ~/Desktop

xar -xf InstallAssistant.pkg SharedSupport.dmg

But in order for the installer to work properly afterwards, the package has to come from the SAME download. Seems like there's a checksum or whatever involved. Also, this only seems to work when upgrading an existing Monterey Install. Clean Installs still seem to require Internet access to download additional content – which is kinda weird, since this is 12 Gigs in size. Overall. it's a really messy update and update process. I'd just wait until they fix the script that builds the installer app.

Yeah I guess we're all in the same boat :D

On my end updating from Software Update ends up with the same build number as Beta 6 with two Macintosh HD entries in the Picker and the USB installer ends up with same error as others.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, miliuco said:

Yes, it seems that this is what has happened. Even real Mac users have posted the same issue, especially the missing SharedSupport folder, which is why the downloaded installer is so small in size.

But in your Z370 have you tried? (I guess so):

• in current Monterey: SMBIOS >> iMac17,1 + SecureBootModel=disabled
  • restart >> beta 7 displayed in SU
  • download and install
  • after install, come back SMBIOS and SecureBootModel if required.

Repeated 

softwareupdate -l --force

still wouldn't show the beta 7.

I used InstallAssistant.pkg    B7   21a5522h from here:

https://mrmacintosh.com/macos-12-monterey-full-installer-database-download-directly-from-apple/

Installed, in OpenCore it listed Macintosh HD, booted from that and it reboot looped everytime, so was not successful. The delta update did not ever show up 4 days after released.

So I decided to try miliuco's suggestion on my iMac20,2 hack

Changed SMBIOS to iMac17,1

set SecureBootModel=disabled

please NOTE it is a CAPITAL D in Disabled, don't forget that, lowercase 'd' disabled fails to boot.

After reboot System Preferences update showed the delta update 3GB or so and this successfully updated after much time and several reboots.

I noticed Bluetooth was Off and could not turn on, so I changed SMBIOS in config.plist back to iMac20,2, rebooted, and BlueTooth switched on and AirDrop worked again.

We'll see next beta if it gets identified or not and if not hopefully changing the SMBIOS again gets the updated to be detected.

Thanks to miliuco for the advice.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

Yeah I guess we're all in the same boat :D

On my end updating from Software Update ends up with the same build number as Beta 6 with two Macintosh HD entries in the Picker and the USB installer ends up with same error as others.

It looks like you stay with old OpenCore or old Clover. Yesterday build can be OK.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Slice said:

It looks like you stay with old OpenCore or old Clover. Yesterday build can be OK.

Yeah you might be right, I was using OC 0.7.3 and I'm just about to use 0.7.4 and try to clean install beta 6 and give the software update another try.

Thanks for the confirmation by the way.

Ok I got it 

Downloads 

InstallAssistant.pkg then leave it in Downloads folder

Delete any Install macOS Monterey.app in Applications

Make sure your not have Folder InstallAssistant in Downloads

This is the contents of the script, you can read and open with TextEdit

Attach script 

create_app.command-v2.zip

#!/bin/bash
# script for making installer Monterey Beta 7
# by chris1111 

echo "
       ****** Install macOS Monterey ******* 
****************************************************"

sudo rm -rf /Applications/"Install macOS Monterey beta.app"

sudo rm -rf $HOME/Downloads/InstallAssistant

sudo installer -verboseR -pkg $HOME/Downloads/InstallAssistant.pkg -target /

echo "Expand Package Please Wait. . . "

pkgutil --expand $HOME/Downloads/InstallAssistant.pkg $HOME/Downloads/InstallAssistant

Sleep 1
echo "Attach Image "
echo " "
hdiutil attach -nobrowse $HOME/Downloads/InstallAssistant/SharedSupport.dmg

sudo mkdir /Applications/"Install macOS Monterey beta.app"/Contents/SharedSupport

echo "Copying Resources Please Wait. . . "

sudo cp -R /Volumes/"Shared Support"/* /Applications/"Install macOS Monterey beta.app"/Contents/SharedSupport

echo "Done. "

Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 9.19.48 PM.png

Untitled.png

Edited by chris1111
Delete V1 because V2 Script Add Unmount  /Volumes/"Shared Support"
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, chris1111 said:

Ok I got it 

Downloads 

InstallAssistant.pkg then leave it in Downloads folder

Delete any Install macOS Monterey.app in Applications

Make sure your not have Folder InstallAssistant in Downloads

This is the contents of the script, you can read and open with TextEdit

Attach script 

create_app.command.zip 1.48 kB · 11 downloads

V2 Script 

Add Unmount  /Volumes/"Shared Support"

create_app.command-v2.zip 1.38 kB · 2 downloads

#!/bin/bash
# script for making installer Monterey Beta 7
# by chris1111 

echo "
       ****** Install macOS Monterey ******* 
****************************************************"

sudo rm -rf /Applications/"Install macOS Monterey beta.app"

sudo rm -rf $HOME/Downloads/InstallAssistant

sudo installer -verboseR -pkg $HOME/Downloads/InstallAssistant.pkg -target /

echo "Expand Package Please Wait. . . "

pkgutil --expand $HOME/Downloads/InstallAssistant.pkg $HOME/Downloads/InstallAssistant

Sleep 1
echo "Attach Image "
echo " "
hdiutil attach -nobrowse $HOME/Downloads/InstallAssistant/SharedSupport.dmg

sudo mkdir /Applications/"Install macOS Monterey beta.app"/Contents/SharedSupport

echo "Copying Resources Please Wait. . . "

sudo cp -R /Volumes/"Shared Support"/* /Applications/"Install macOS Monterey beta.app"/Contents/SharedSupport

echo "Done. "

Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 9.19.48 PM.png

Untitled.png

:thumbsup_anim: Downloaded the installer and fixed with your script, created the installation usb, started the procedure without errors regarding  corrupt image or other.

IMG_20210924_135917.thumb.jpg.f19cfe961dcf487204b4f6b17369b596.jpg

Finalize the installation successfully with OC 0.7.4 SecurebootModel = Default, my smbios always iMac19,1

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I just tried a clean install on my Notebook. Here are my experiences so far:

1. If SharedSupport.dmg is present in /Volumes/Install macOS Monterey beta/Install macOS Monterey beta.app/Contents/SharedSupport, then the installation fails ("Installer Damaged").

2. If SharedSupport.dmg is instead extracted to Volumes/Install macOS Monterey beta/Install macOS Monterey beta.app/Contents/SharedSupport, then the installer works.

But now I have an error, which i have never seen before (couldn't check Firmware Version):

20210924_145346_HDR_(1).thumb.jpg.0cc4edbbbb95c6016d3872efc4eb219c.jpg

@chris1111 I have a working Monterey EFI for this Notebook. I think this is not a installer issue at this stage. But I'll try it with your script later, if I cant fix this.

Edit: BootloaderChooser was the culprit. After using bootx64.efi from ooencore instead, the installer is working fine.

Edited by 5T33Z0

20 hours ago, FredWst said:

@vit9696

I did'nt check.

Will check but need to re-install b6. I'll do it this we.

Fred

@vit9696

I've check install b6 with SecureBootModel = Default.

install fine no update proposed to b7.

change SecureBootModel = j214k. (MacBookPro 16,2 T2 chip)

reboot

b7 is proposed updating reboot

loop reboot

reboot MacOs b6 and error is below.

569733608_Capturedcran2021-09-2415_31_07.thumb.png.ce52bcc39c29aa2ce0d88e977748ef06.png

change SecureBootModel = Disabled reboot try update -> loop reboot

change SecureBootModel = j214k after reboot b7 is proposed updating -> before reboot change SecureBootModel = Disabled -> first reboot clear NVRAM

Reboot -> MacOs update fine to b7.

Edit:

I've made usb b7 boot -> it boot with SecureBootModel = j214k -> after second stage loop reboot.

SecureBootModel = Disabled -> clear NVRAM -> install ok.

back to SecureBootModel = j214k -> clear NVRAM -> Reboot MacOs ok.

I did't try to install directly with SecureBootModel = Disabled. (quiet sure that install will be ok like b6 but MacOs will not propose futur update)

Fred

Edited by FredWst

USB Create Install Media HP Probook 6570b Works here OC 0.7.4 Lattest compill

MacBook Pro 13.1  (j132) :guitar:

Secound stage Boot install 

HMF.thumb.JPG.d87141c619f6945ed8f17ccec205797c.JPG

edit ***

after secound stage boot 

Setup MacBook Pro 13.1  (Disable)

complet other step boot then result is perfect

Untitled.png.f40d2439dba20129fc6c1533a79981f6.png

Edited by chris1111
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, eSaF said:

@chris1111 -Awesome work Bro, your Monterey Beta7 app worked very well on my Test Disk, installation was problem free and smooth :hysterical: Thanks for all your work and help, much appreciated.

It was time for her to end with the problems :thumbsup_anim:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, antuneddu said:

Hello dear, Unmm this B7 is detecting an obstacle course, it does not come out 😆  honestly I have not tried the installation from usb (created with the suggestions of @MifJpnAlphaPlus) Meantime  I have created another usb with a more simplified method (thanks to @PG7 for BetterZip)  let's see how it goes 🤞

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sMDEfK5YwqwsU8ema_0tqBVOv1IflYPg/view?usp=sharing

Edit: Nothing to do failed ... just tried
we just have to cry 😂 (Benigni's famous film) For the moment I'll stop here 🤬

I have not tried to install Beta 7 from a USB drive because I was able to install it from Software Update.  However, I installed Monterey on my main system drive a couple days ago only to find that some much needed software I use is not yet compatible with Monterey so I had to revert back to Big Sur.  When trying to install Big Sur, I got the same error message as you several times.  It turns out that, for me, the problem was that while I was installing from the USB drive, the installer found my installation app in my Apps folder and that screwed things up.  When I moved the installation app out of the apps folder to a folder in Downloads, the USB installer worked fine.  Not sure if it will work for you but since I was getting the same error and that fixed it, it's worth a shot.  Good luck.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2021 at 11:02 PM, Hervé said:

Update going through on my Latitude E7270 (Clover r5133) and Toshiba R50-B (OC 0.7.0) after rebooting Monterey beta6 with iMac17,1 SMBIOS and re-launching the whole update process. Seems we got a major bug on our hands here. Let's wait and hear from real Mac users...

Edit: update to beta7 completed and I was then able to reboot my Latitude E7270 and Tosh R50-B with their original MacBookPro SMBIOS without issues.

E7270_r5133_12.0.b7.jpg

R50-B_Monterey_b7.jpg

One of the other major changes with this beta7 is the disappearance of the nVidia kexts: no more GeForce and NVDA kexts which means end of the road for nVidia Kepler cards, at least natively. Whether patching will work like it did for other GPUs in the past remains to be seen.

Yup, my nvidia 660gtx is no longer accelerated, displays wrong resolution, and Mac OS reports only 5M of ram.

1 hour ago, sonicthehedgehog2 said:

Yup, my nvidia 660gtx is no longer accelerated, displays wrong resolution, and Mac OS reports only 5M of ram.

Monterey since beta 7 has no Nvidia graphics drivers. You may use Chris111 solution but this is the end for Nvidia in macOS.

• Like 3