[pre-release] macOS Monterey

1,859 posts in this topic

Its seems like when i try to update to the latest beta, it goes into a bootloop.

The SecureBoot Model is Default. This is a Intel NUC i3 Skylake system.

1 minute ago, eSaF said:

The ability to download is only half the problem, for the majority it is the installation after which results in constant reboots. If you get past that stage congrats to you, this latest Beta is not as straight forward as previous I am afraid.

Mine is a constant reboot. Any idea what can be done?

Is Apple locking down macOS? Anyone know if they’re blocking the update(ie setting our Mac model to unknown)  based on scanning for certain NVRAM flags specific to opencore  ?

Edited by dehjomz

5 minutes ago, greythorne said:

In my Intel NUC, dont have TPM in the BIOS. Any idea where or how i can turn off for the latest beta to get thru?

Leave the TPM alone set SBModel j160 to download the update, before restarting change SBModel to Disabled, if it doesn't work like this, try the trick by setting smbios iMac17,1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MifJpnAlphaPlus said:

Hello.
Monterey beta7 seems to be in an install loop on my rig.

Have you upgraded?

I have a full backup, so I will try a clean installation of Beta 6 from downloading a sparse image.

Thank you

Hi @MifJpnAlphaPlus

Same issue here. At first reboot, Clover start on 'Preboot' instead of 'Mac OS Install for Monterey via Preboot'

So I restart my Z390 config, select manually  'Mac OS Install for Monterey via Preboot'

I do the same at second, third reboot... 😪 without any success.

@Slice @Jief_Machak There is something wrong when update Beta 6 to  Monterey Beta 7.

EDIT: After booting Beta 6, I redownload Beta 7 from System/SoftwareUpdate. Same Issue.

Edited by Matgen84
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

@Matgen84

The post above is an example of a Clover user whom changed the SMBIO (rather than the SecureBoot settings which is for OpenCore users) and succeeded with Monterey Beta 7 

So SMBIOS iMac17,1 should work?

Because i changed Secure Boot to Default, it didnt work and goes into boot loop.

3 minutes ago, greythorne said:

So SMBIOS iMac17,1 should work?

Because i changed Secure Boot to Default, it didnt work and goes into boot loop.

I haven't tested the Beta 7 yet but as it appears changing SMBIOS to iMac17,1 works for some people. Have you tried with SecureBoot set to disabled or j160?

1 hour ago, antuneddu said:

Leave the TPM alone set SBModel j160 to download the update, before restarting change SBModel to Disabled, if it doesn't work like this, try the trick by setting smbios iMac17,1

What a strange thing!  It has only worked well by doing what you say.

j160 + current SMBIOS (MacPro7,1) to show and download update but disabled + iMac17,1 or iMac19,1 to install successfully.

I suspect it has to do with the secure boot and / or SMBIOS model and the T2 security chip. But I'm not sure.

It seems that the installation only works on some systems (like mine) with Mac models lacking T2.

28 minutes ago, Hervé said:

Afaik (and as far as I was concerned), no change to make other than SMBIOS, whether using Clover or OpenCore. It's posted all over the previous 2 pages.

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/348725-pre-release-macos-monterey/?do=findComment&comment=2767057

Yes, probably it has to do with SMBIOS more than SecureBootModel. Do you think this beta wants in our hacks a Mac model without T2 chip?

Personally I think it would be more prudent to advise all that are new to OC and has Beta 6 already running, to wait awhile until a precise formula to download and update to Beta 7 is found. 

At the moment steps that are working for some are proving elusive or problematic for others. So best to wait until the process is more unified and user friendly for all. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

@Matgen84

The post above is an example of a Clover user whom changed the SMBIO (rather than the SecureBoot settings which is for OpenCore users) and succeeded with Monterey Beta 7 

34 minutes ago, Hervé said:

Afaik (and as far as I was concerned), no change to make other than SMBIOS, whether using Clover or OpenCore. It's posted all over the previous 2 pages.

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/348725-pre-release-macos-monterey/?do=findComment&comment=2767057

@Cyberdevs @Hervé Thanks. Changing my iMac19,1 to Imac17,1 SMBIOS, could be a temporary solution. I don't know if there is a bug in Beta 7, or something else.

I'm agree with @eSaF

8 minutes ago, eSaF said:

Personally I think it would be more prudent to advise all that are new to OC and has Beta 6 already running, to wait awhile until a precise formula to download and update to Beta 7 is found. 

At the moment steps that are working for some are proving elusive or problematic for others. So best to wait until the process is more unified and user friendly for all. 

• Like 2

Just to add to my previous post. I have just managed to download (again) and completed the install. These are the steps I followed from the previous posts:

1. I made a new installer USB drive with the SMBIOS of iMac 17.1

2. In the config.plist this change was made: SecureBootModel: Default (nothing else apart from as I said the 17.1 Mac Model)

3. These steps enabled me to do a clean install of Beta 6 as I preferred because of all the trials and errors, I wanted to start afresh.

4. With this clean install I joined the Dev program and was offered the Beta 7 update which downloaded without a hitch.

5. I completed the install still with 17.1 without signing into Apple iCloud, at the Desktop I mounted the EFI Partition and changed the config.plist to my original Mac Model 19.1

Rebooted, clean NVRAM twice and booted to the Desktop containing the new Beta.

6. Signed back into iCloud so that iMsg/F-Time, App Store etc, would be accessible.

I must add, dual booting with Windows 11 insider preview I have to enable TPM in the BIOS if not it breaks Windows Activation causing a complete reinstall as it will no longer accept the key once it is broken, I tried leaving it enabled for OS X install and it caused constant reboot loop until I disabled it.

Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 09.26.13.png

Edited by eSaF
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, eSaF said:

Just to add to my previous post. I have just managed to download (again) and completed the install. These are the steps I followed from the previous posts:

2. In the config.plist this change was made: SecureBootModel: Default (nothing else apart from as I said the 17.1 Mac Model)

3. These steps enabled me to do a clean install of Beta 6 as I preferred because of all the trials and errors, I wanted to start afresh.

4. With this clean install I joined the Dev program and was offered the Beta 7 update which downloaded without a hitch.

5. I completed the install still with 17.1 without signing into Apple iCloud, at the Desktop I mounted the EFI Partition and changed the config.plist to my original Mac Model 19.1

6. Signed back into iCloud so that iMsg/F-Time, App Store etc, would be accessible.

I must add, dual booting with Windows 11 insider preview I had to disable TPM in the BIOS, I tried leaving it enabled and it caused constant reboot loop until I disabled it.

iMac17,1 does the trick. At least for some of us.

Windows 10 boots fine with TPM enabled or disabled, you know, but I didn't know you need it disabled for booting Windows 11.

14 minutes ago, eSaF said:

I must add, dual booting with Windows 11 insider preview I had to disable TPM in the BIOS, I tried leaving it enabled and it caused constant reboot loop until I disabled it.

Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 09.26.13.png

When you temporary change to iMac17,1 SMBIOS, do you change the MLB, Serial, etc?

9 minutes ago, miliuco said:

I didn't know you need it disabled for booting Windows 11.

No Bro - you need it Enabled to boot and install Windows 11 (at least on my rig) otherwise when you reach the Windows desktop it deactivates and breaks the Windows Activation key forcing a complete Windows fresh install. 

1 minute ago, greythorne said:

When you temporary change to iMac17,1 SMBIOS, do you change the MLB, Serial, etc?

Sorry yes I did, New MLB, SmBIOS, S/N to match 17.1 Mac Model. The only data in that category that remained was the MAC address.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, antuneddu said:
  Hide contents

before restarting change SBModel to Disabled

Ok so SBModel = Default + SMBIOS = iMac17,1 ....... to allow download of the latest beta.

SBModel = Disable + SMBIOS = iMac17,1 ..... before restarting to install?

The above is correct right?

Laptop - Clover 5139 - Update not appear
OpenCore 0.7.4 - update not appear.
And on OpenCore even though I have my laptop set as MacBook Pro 16,4 it shows like this. Serial number is filled in etc.
168ba96c60fbac3f7a40d2e643401eaf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Guys I don't know how important this would be to you but periodically I get into the habit of running 'First Aid' in Disk Utility to check on the install and the health of the Disk. With all the previous trials I was doing to download/Install Beta 7, I ran a Health check and saw at least 3 errors about corruption, I wish I did take a screen shot to share here. That was one of the reasons I opted for a clean install albeit via Beta 6. Hope it helps someone out there, won't harm to check previous install (Beta 6) is ok to install over.

Edited by eSaF
  • Like 4