[pre-release] macOS Monterey

1,859 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, WizeMan said:

To recap, for people with iMac19.1 SMBIOS, OC 0.74 and Monterey beta 8 fixes the boot loop issue or do we need the RestrictEvents.kext ?

I didn't need it or change to iMac 17.1, update and install was problem free, even managed to make a stand alone USB drive install stick. :thumbsup_anim:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, eSaF said:

I didn't need it or change to iMac 17.1, update and install was problem free, even managed to make a stand alone USB drive install stick. :thumbsup_anim:

@WizeMan

Since the new RestrictEvents fixes the problem spoofing iMac19,1 to software update, those who already have iMac19,1 don't need this kext.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Latest OC (commit 19aea59) was able to install B7 with secure boot enabled.
SMBIOS: MacBookPro15,1
Secure boot model: Default (j680 I believe)
APECID was set
No RestrictEvents.kext - not quite sure if this is needed or not? Some clarification on if this is needed for OTAs or not would be nice.
Was going to try and update from B7 to B8 later today, need my laptop for now though.

Edit: Turns out I'm an idiot and the install assistant is for b8 lol. Spent 20 minutes trying to figure out why I had no updates.

Edited by 1Revenger1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 1Revenger1 said:

Latest OC (commit 19aea59) was able to install B7 with secure boot enabled.
SMBIOS: MacBookPro15,1
Secure boot model: Default (j680 I believe)
APECID was set
No RestrictEvents.kext - not quite sure if this is needed or not? Some clarification on if this is needed for OTAs or not would be nice...

Yes, with last commit, Monterey can now have full security when using T2 SecureBootModel and SMBIOS. Also, SecureBootModel=Default in Monterey now picks the SMBIOS model instead of x86legacy, this seems to be against what we have seen so far (SBM and SMBIOS do not have to coincide).

I've tried:

• SMBIOS non T2 (iMac19,1) + SMB=Default + ApECID non zero: only medium security.
  • SMBIOS T2 model (MacPro7,1) + SMB=Default + ApECID non zero: full security.

This can be as expected in real Macs, Macs without T2 only achieve medium security.

I think RestrictEvents is not required for updates to be displayed even using T2 SecureBootModel and SMBIOS since it's fixed now in OpenCore. In fact, in 2430ed0 commit a patch was added to fix macOS 12 software update support with any Mac model and in  f76c775 "Disable software update patches by default as OpenCore was fixed".

• Like 2

I realise this is most likely off topic as it’s a VM but I have used macinabox on my unraid server and created a Big Sur VM, updated to latest version. Added restrictevents kext and updated OC to 0.7.4 an installed Monterey beta 6 without needing to change smbios (imacpro1,1). Now updating to beta 8. Beta 6 to 8 update went smooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

11 hours ago, miliuco said:

Yes, with last commit, Monterey can now have full security when using T2 SecureBootModel and SMBIOS. Also, SecureBootModel=Default in Monterey now picks the SMBIOS model instead of x86legacy, this seems to be against what we have seen so far (SBM and SMBIOS do not have to coincide).

I've tried:

• SMBIOS non T2 (iMac19,1) + SMB=Default + ApECID non zero: only medium security.
  • SMBIOS T2 model (MacPro7,1) + SMB=Default + ApECID non zero: full security.

This can be as expected in real Macs, Macs without T2 only achieve medium security.

I think RestrictEvents is not required for updates to be displayed even using T2 SecureBootModel and SMBIOS since it's fixed now in OpenCore. In fact, in 2430ed0 commit a patch was added to fix macOS 12 software update support with any Mac model and in  f76c775 "Disable software update patches by default as OpenCore was fixed".

Hi,

Take a look here : https://github.com/acidanthera/bugtracker/issues/1809 

Fred

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FredWst said:

Thanks. The comments I've made to @1Revenger1 are based on this bug tracker thread. I have followed it with great interest, there are even some posts of mine (perez987 in GitHub instead of miliuco as in this forum).

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Andrey1970 said:

RestrictEvents for those to whom it is necessary ApECID != 0

Thanks, I was wrong thinking that RestrictEvents wasn’t required after last changes in OpenCore and the kext. 

For my i7-10700k (see sig) running as iMac20,2 (T2), if I set:

SBM=j185f (matches iMac20,2)

ApECID=decimal integer derived from my SMBIOS first 8 bytes

, and run OC 0.7.4 from today’s (Oct 4 2021) source, am I supposed to be able to change security mode on SSU? Or do I need anything else such as RestrictEvents.kext? I still get the “your firmware is not supported” message on Recovery.

Can reinstall beta8 if needed. It was originally updated from b7 with SBM=default and ApECID=0.

23 minutes ago, Alex HQuest said:

For my i7-10700k (see sig) running as iMac20,2 (T2), if I set:

SBM=j185f (matches iMac20,2)

ApECID=decimal integer derived from my SMBIOS first 8 bytes and run OC 0.7.4 from today’s (Oct 4 2021) source, am I supposed to be able to change security mode on SSU? Or do I need anything else such as RestrictEvents.kext? I still get the “your firmware is not supported” message on Recovery...

What's security mode on SSU?

As per @Andrey1970 post (see above) yo need RestrictEvents if using ApECID != 0.

When using SecureBootModel=x86legacy and ApECID=0, OpenCore gets first 8 bytes of SystemUUID as ApECID.

But when using a specific value from the list other than x86legacy, I think you should try to use a random 64-bit number with a cryptographically secure random number generator as ApECID.