[pre-release] macOS Monterey

1,859 posts in this topic

57 minutes ago, bisdak4920 said:

Clean install using USB installer. Install time 30 min.

Tips to repair Install Monterey App.

1. Open package content of Install Monterey App

2. Create SharedSupport folder

3. Open Install Assistant.pkg wit Better Zip and extract SharedSupport.dmg

4. Copy contents of SharedSupport.dmg and paste it to the folder created in step 2.

That's it enjoy.

Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 7.58.44 PM.png

Here, too, the installer works in the USB

I use Clover and to complete the installation I have to do it with SMBIOS iMac17.1

Edited by PG7
  • Like 2

Can someone share ShareSupport.dmg ? The InstallAssistant.pkg is around 10Gb, I think I can't try with this. It took over 10 hours to download it via Software Update because of the bad situation of internet connection.

2 hours ago, bisdak4920 said:

Clean install using USB installer. Install time 30 min.

Tips to repair Install Monterey App.

1. Open package content of Install Monterey App

2. Create SharedSupport folder

3. Open Install Assistant.pkg wit Better Zip and extract SharedSupport.dmg

4. Copy contents of SharedSupport.dmg and paste it to the folder created in step 2.

That's it enjoy.

Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 7.58.44 PM.png

Thanks for this workaround! I tried a similar thing with Pacifist, but it didn't show the SharedSupport.dmg. With BetterZip it worked.

31 minutes ago, galile7621 said:

Can someone share ShareSupport.dmg ? The InstallAssistant.pkg is around 10Gb, I think I can't try with this. It took over 10 hours to download it via Software Update because of the bad situation of internet connection.

Download it with ANYmacOS and then apply the workaround.

@bisdak4920 Thanks for the workaround!

@chris1111 Thanks for the Kepler Patch! Worked flawlessly

39294070_Bildschirmfoto2021-09-23um16_43_24.png.5bac0a47cdb9e23df18f456603576867.png

@MifJpnAlphaPlus Your terminal command copies SharedSupport.dmg to Monterey\ beta.app/Contents/SharedSupport. But I think you have to extract the contents of  SharedSupport.dmg instead.

Edited by 5T33Z0

1 hour ago, 5T33Z0 said:

Thanks for this workaround! I tried a similar thing with Pacifist, but it didn't show the SharedSupport.dmg. With BetterZip it worked.

Download it with ANYmacOS and then apply the workaround.

Please share ANYmacOS

EDIT *** OK got it

Edited by chris1111

55 minutes ago, meaganmargaret said:

So, I followed your instructions very closely.   I downloaded a new copy of InstallAssitant, and then proceeded.  When I got to the last command (to install on a USB stick (formatted as "USB"), I got the following error:

Yes I think our friend sold us a potential dream as I got the same error.:)

Spoiler

1705451803_ScreenShot2021-09-23at17_04_58.png.ff6a73611781b26b9c0b4681a4ebce3c.png

25 minutes ago, eSaF said:

Yes I think our friend sold us a potential dream as I got the same error.:)

Reveal hidden contents

1705451803_ScreenShot2021-09-23at17_04_58.png.ff6a73611781b26b9c0b4681a4ebce3c.png

You could do this instead as suggested earlier:

• Move InstallAssistant.pkg to Desktop
  • Double Click to install it.
  • In Terminal, enter:
    • cd ~/Desktop
    • xar -xf InstallAssistant.pkg SharedSupport.dmg
    • sudo mkdir /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Monterey\ beta.app/Contents/SharedSupport
  • Then you manually copy the files inside SharedSupport.dmg to /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Monterey\ beta.app/Contents/SharedSupport
  • Then you can start the Installer App.

@5T33Z0 I've already got Beta 7 running but as I like to put different versions on USB drives, I thought I'd do the same with this one. Thanks for the tuition but I am not going to turn what is suppose to be a simple operation into some convoluted formular. Hopefully Apple will correct this one unless this is their way forward which I think is highly unlikely so until then I will enjoy what I already have - Cheers.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, meaganmargaret said:

look guys:  this is truly an Apple screw-up, that as I noted in an earlier post, they've done before.  I have Beta 7 on my Z490 and I don't have it on my Z370...

Yes, it seems that this is what has happened. Even real Mac users have posted the same issue, especially the missing SharedSupport folder, which is why the downloaded installer is so small in size.

But in your Z370 have you tried? (I guess so):

• in current Monterey: SMBIOS >> iMac17,1 + SecureBootModel=Disabled
  • restart >> beta 7 displayed in SU
  • download and install
  • after install, come back SMBIOS and SecureBootModel if required.

Edited by miliuco

4 hours ago, MifJpnAlphaPlus said:

I'm sorry, the sparse Image was changing.

Let's make it from InstallAssistant.pkg.

Move InstallAssistant.pkg to Desktop
Please double click and create Install...app (broken) on /Application
% cd ~/Desktop
% xar -xf InstallAssistant.pkg SharedSupport.dmg
% sudo mkdir /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Monterey\ beta.app/Contents/SharedSupport
% sudo cp ~/Desktop/SharedSupport.dmg /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Monterey\ beta.app/Contents/SharedSupport

% sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Monterey\ beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --nointeraction --downloadassets --volume /Volumes/USB
(USB Stick named "USB")

Thank you

No that I needed it as I have already updated, but by now I was fixated :wallbash: on creating the usb
Everything worked perfectly thanks Arigatō again 🙏

1871688985_Schermata2021-09-23alle20_59_22.png.3382c2d9bfbaa98dc39249e4ef03c2b4.png

757298741_Schermata2021-09-23alle21_15_26.png.a793d822e689ad93d60b89aeba31cfc0.png

• Like 2

Incase it was not mentioned previously, in Beta 7 Dual Booting with Windows or any other OS on a separate disk, it is no longer displayed or assigned as an external disk as it was in Beta 6.

Edited by eSaF
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, antuneddu said:

No that I needed it as I have already updated, but by now I was fixated :wallbash: on creating the usb

Hate to admit defeat and followed suit, couldn't let go like a dog with a bone, plus I do hate the word defeat. :hysterical: Still think it is a convoluted way and method from the norm, but I am in the process of creating my precious installer USB drive. :thumbsup_anim: thanks to all the heavy lifters in the forum who made it possible.

Spoiler

1237259291_ScreenShot2021-09-23at21_07_13.png.2333f7e5616a36058065838019ed3e0a.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My problem is that my usb is a no show on desktop, so for that reason it failed because USB is not a valid volume mount point...

What did I need to do to make my usb show in desktop?

Thanks

Captura de ecrã 2021-09-23, às 22.03.06.png

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, xtddd said:

i have downloaded the installer monterey beta7 app and after finished the first step install then reboot..the monterey disk cant be shown on the boot menu..i use the 0.7.4oc...what's the problem?

Are you trying to do a fresh install, if you are the installer package is balked and not in it's familiar form. To do a fresh install on a USB drive, you need to format the USB drive in the usual way and name it USB then closely follow the steps documented by @MifJpnAlphaPlus I followed his steps and now has a Beta 7 installer USB drive.

PS - You need to get the InstallAssistant.pkg as suggested - https://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/06/05/002-02555-A_W1UDYXDDUZ/aorhr3psk29e00zwe7r41ur3humfp9cf80/InstallAssistant.pkgScreen Shot.png

Edited by eSaF
  • Like 1

@antuneddu - Good day Bro have you tried your created Beta7 USB installer drive? The reason I am asking my initial success at creating one turned out to be a big fail installing on a test drive (see attached). I went through the process twice and each time ended as failed. I even tried the steps posted by @5T33Z0 and that too was the same result. Now here is that word DEFEAT again, hate to admit it but that is where I am at the moment with this abortion, so until a more viable solution is offered up or Apple come up with the method we all are used to I am D-O-N-E. :wallbash:

Spoiler

1515345865_ScreenShot2021-09-24at09_25_53.png.30f3c301c12388cb733737bde5730166.png

Edited by eSaF
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, eSaF said:

@antuneddu - Good day Bro have you tried your created Beta7 USB installer drive? The reason I am asking my initial success at creating one turned out to be a big fail installing on a test drive (see attached). I went through the process twice and each time ended as failed. I even tried the steps posted by @5T33Z0 and that too was the same result. Now here is that word DEFEAT again, hate to admit it but that is where I am at the moment with this abortion, so until a more viable solution is offered up or Apple come up with the method we all are used to I am D-O-N-E. :wallbash:

Reveal hidden contents

1515345865_ScreenShot2021-09-24at09_25_53.png.30f3c301c12388cb733737bde5730166.png

Hello dear, Unmm this B7 is detecting an obstacle course, it does not come out 😆  honestly I have not tried the installation from usb (created with the suggestions of @MifJpnAlphaPlus) Meantime  I have created another usb with a more simplified method (thanks to @PG7 for BetterZip)  let's see how it goes 🤞

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sMDEfK5YwqwsU8ema_0tqBVOv1IflYPg/view?usp=sharing

Edit: Nothing to do failed ... just tried
we just have to cry 😂 (Benigni's famous film) For the moment I'll stop here 🤬

install fallito.png

Edited by antuneddu
  • Like 1