[pre-release] macOS Monterey

1,859 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, miliuco said:

As in beta 8, I had to change SMBIOS from MacPro7,1 to iMac17,1 and revert after update.

Now that's strange, I didn't have to change from 19.1 to 17.1 for the update as in B7, nothing at all was changed and the update was flawless.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eSaF said:

Now that's strange, I didn't have to change from 19.1 to 17.1 for the update as in B7, nothing at all was changed and the update was flawless.

I have the theory that, in many of our hackintosh (which do not really have an Apple T2 chip), these Monterey updates are only shown on Mac models without T2, for example iMac19,1 and older, that's why they are shown also on iMac17,1.
What I do not understand is that this change is only necessary to update because, after updating, the system accepts Mac models that do have T2 (such as MacPro7,1 which is the one I use).
Anyway, it's just an idea.

EDIT: @eSaF I've tried iMac19,1 in other disk and it has worked also.

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Balamut said:

Did they change anything in the Kernel or its still max 64 cores?

1 hour ago, Slice said:

Since Monterey beta 7 there is end of life for Kepler too. Switch to AMD GPU.

Ou sorry! I mixed Kepler and Kernel!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe this strange behavior is just happening on my machine, but has anyone noticed that this latest update has brought about a slight change in previous mapped USB layout? My front 2 USB ports were mapped to accept USB 2 & USB 3. In Beta 7 one would only accept 2 and the other both 2 & 3. Now in Beta 8 both has reverted to accepting both 2 & 3. I haven't checked the back ports to see what weird and wonderful change is happening back there apart from everything that is connected to those ports are still working.

10 minutes ago, Common_Sense said:

Update from B7 to B8 went fine using SMBIOS iMac18,3. No need to switch to iMac17,1.

Yes, it's according to my previous post: "I have the theory that, in many of our hackintosh (which do not really have an Apple T2 chip), these Monterey updates are only shown on Mac models without T2, for example iMac19,1 and older, that's why they are shown also on iMac17,1. What I do not understand is that this change is only necessary to update because, after updating, the system accepts Mac models that do have T2 (such as MacPro7,1 which is the one I use).
Anyway, it's just an idea."

Note: Please complete your signature (user >> profile), it's the way to know the hardware you are using.

15 minutes ago, eSaF said:

Maybe this strange behavior is just happening on my machine, but has anyone noticed that this latest update has brought about a slight change in previous mapped USB layout? My front 2 USB ports were mapped to accept USB 2 & USB 3. In Beta 7 one would only accept 2 and the other both 2 & 3. Now in Beta 8 both has reverted to accepting both 2 & 3. I haven't checked the back ports to see what weird and wonderful change is happening back there apart from everything that is connected to those ports are still working.

I haven't notice such behaviour, although our motherboards are so similar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, miliuco said:

I haven't notice such behaviour, although our motherboards are so similar.

Thanks Bro, I will keep an eye on that going forward and report any changes - very strange indeed.

Updated both my Laptop and AMD desktop to beta 8, Had to use opencore 0.7.4 with smbios name as iMac17,1 for the update to appear on both machines which is fine as i use a USB for that then after the first reboot i pull the USB and let Clover continue the update and both machines are done the same way.

Spoiler

Off Topic

Note of caution Clover 5140 seems to have a bug where the system runs very fast, normally before booting an OS i have a 10 second delay (wife factor) but with Clover 5140 the 10 seconds counts down in 4 seconds. 

Screen Shot 2021-09-29 at 9.57.18 pm.png

• Like 1

Thanks, guys! :)

Easily updated, but for update to happen had to re-run/reinstall the 73KB macOSDeveloperBetaAccessUtility.dmg.zip file. :)

EDIT: Screenshot -->

2125794638_macOS12.0MontereyBeta8-2021-09-30-16-03-57.thumb.png.daed639ba97c429fcebbe07b8e344360.png

Edited by Naki
Add screenshot

3 hours ago, Partime said:

I've gone in and changed to iMac17,1 but the update is not showing at all.

Are there other changes that have to be made too? I refreshed my nvram, still nothing.

I'm on OC 0.7.3 if that maters.

Strange. Try SecureBootMode=Disabled for update to be shown (plus iMac17,1).

1 hour ago, antuneddu said:

[Pre-Release] macOS Monterey  Beta 8 build 21A5534d full installer 

https://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/19/45/002-03838-A_0GZXCQCVKX/gyhssf4qo3kq9p08fre7puo86cgcoopd9w/InstallAssistant.pkg

@eSaF  begins to heat up the usb stick 😆

It work normal ;)

• Thanks 2