[pre-release] macOS Monterey

1,947 posts in this topic

Personally I think it would be more prudent to advise all that are new to OC and has Beta 6 already running, to wait awhile until a precise formula to download and update to Beta 7 is found. 

At the moment steps that are working for some are proving elusive or problematic for others. So best to wait until the process is more unified and user friendly for all. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

@Matgen84

The post above is an example of a Clover user whom changed the SMBIO (rather than the SecureBoot settings which is for OpenCore users) and succeeded with Monterey Beta 7 

34 minutes ago, Hervé said:

Afaik (and as far as I was concerned), no change to make other than SMBIOS, whether using Clover or OpenCore. It's posted all over the previous 2 pages.

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/348725-pre-release-macos-monterey/?do=findComment&comment=2767057

@Cyberdevs @Hervé Thanks. Changing my iMac19,1 to Imac17,1 SMBIOS, could be a temporary solution. I don't know if there is a bug in Beta 7, or something else.

I'm agree with @eSaF

8 minutes ago, eSaF said:

Personally I think it would be more prudent to advise all that are new to OC and has Beta 6 already running, to wait awhile until a precise formula to download and update to Beta 7 is found. 

At the moment steps that are working for some are proving elusive or problematic for others. So best to wait until the process is more unified and user friendly for all. 

• Like 2

Just to add to my previous post. I have just managed to download (again) and completed the install. These are the steps I followed from the previous posts:

1. I made a new installer USB drive with the SMBIOS of iMac 17.1

2. In the config.plist this change was made: SecureBootModel: Default (nothing else apart from as I said the 17.1 Mac Model)

3. These steps enabled me to do a clean install of Beta 6 as I preferred because of all the trials and errors, I wanted to start afresh.

4. With this clean install I joined the Dev program and was offered the Beta 7 update which downloaded without a hitch.

5. I completed the install still with 17.1 without signing into Apple iCloud, at the Desktop I mounted the EFI Partition and changed the config.plist to my original Mac Model 19.1

Rebooted, clean NVRAM twice and booted to the Desktop containing the new Beta.

6. Signed back into iCloud so that iMsg/F-Time, App Store etc, would be accessible.

I must add, dual booting with Windows 11 insider preview I have to enable TPM in the BIOS if not it breaks Windows Activation causing a complete reinstall as it will no longer accept the key once it is broken, I tried leaving it enabled for OS X install and it caused constant reboot loop until I disabled it.

Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 09.26.13.png

Edited by eSaF
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, eSaF said:

Just to add to my previous post. I have just managed to download (again) and completed the install. These are the steps I followed from the previous posts:

2. In the config.plist this change was made: SecureBootModel: Default (nothing else apart from as I said the 17.1 Mac Model)

3. These steps enabled me to do a clean install of Beta 6 as I preferred because of all the trials and errors, I wanted to start afresh.

4. With this clean install I joined the Dev program and was offered the Beta 7 update which downloaded without a hitch.

5. I completed the install still with 17.1 without signing into Apple iCloud, at the Desktop I mounted the EFI Partition and changed the config.plist to my original Mac Model 19.1

6. Signed back into iCloud so that iMsg/F-Time, App Store etc, would be accessible.

I must add, dual booting with Windows 11 insider preview I had to disable TPM in the BIOS, I tried leaving it enabled and it caused constant reboot loop until I disabled it.

iMac17,1 does the trick. At least for some of us.

Windows 10 boots fine with TPM enabled or disabled, you know, but I didn't know you need it disabled for booting Windows 11.

14 minutes ago, eSaF said:

I must add, dual booting with Windows 11 insider preview I had to disable TPM in the BIOS, I tried leaving it enabled and it caused constant reboot loop until I disabled it.

Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 09.26.13.png

When you temporary change to iMac17,1 SMBIOS, do you change the MLB, Serial, etc?

9 minutes ago, miliuco said:

I didn't know you need it disabled for booting Windows 11.

No Bro - you need it Enabled to boot and install Windows 11 (at least on my rig) otherwise when you reach the Windows desktop it deactivates and breaks the Windows Activation key forcing a complete Windows fresh install. 

1 minute ago, greythorne said:

When you temporary change to iMac17,1 SMBIOS, do you change the MLB, Serial, etc?

Sorry yes I did, New MLB, SmBIOS, S/N to match 17.1 Mac Model. The only data in that category that remained was the MAC address.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, antuneddu said:
  Hide contents

before restarting change SBModel to Disabled

Ok so SBModel = Default + SMBIOS = iMac17,1 ....... to allow download of the latest beta.

SBModel = Disable + SMBIOS = iMac17,1 ..... before restarting to install?

The above is correct right?

Laptop - Clover 5139 - Update not appear
OpenCore 0.7.4 - update not appear.
And on OpenCore even though I have my laptop set as MacBook Pro 16,4 it shows like this. Serial number is filled in etc.
168ba96c60fbac3f7a40d2e643401eaf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Guys I don't know how important this would be to you but periodically I get into the habit of running 'First Aid' in Disk Utility to check on the install and the health of the Disk. With all the previous trials I was doing to download/Install Beta 7, I ran a Health check and saw at least 3 errors about corruption, I wish I did take a screen shot to share here. That was one of the reasons I opted for a clean install albeit via Beta 6. Hope it helps someone out there, won't harm to check previous install (Beta 6) is ok to install over.

Edited by eSaF
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, eSaF said:

No Bro - you need it Enabled to boot and install Windows 11 (at least on my rig) otherwise when you reach the Windows desktop it deactivates and breaks the Windows Activation key forcing a complete Windows fresh install. 

Sorry yes I did, New MLB, SmBIOS, S/N to match 17.1 Mac Model. The only data in that category that remained was the MAC address.

Thanks eSaf, @5T33Z0 and all the others-i followed your advice-and was finally able to complete update-kept getting the notorious 'update reboot loop'  after first stage. But after changing-smbios to iMac17,1 and SBModel = Disable -finally success!

NB: Cant find TPM in bios and have always ignored it, although i had to remove some troublesome kexts from Library Extenstions which caused a small issue in the final stage but this is user specific

OpenCore 0.7.4, HP Pavillion Gaming 595, i5 9400F, Radeon RX 580 8GB

Screenshot 2021-09-22 at 12.52.37 PM.png

Edited by ndungu6678
  • Like 1

[mention=1083558]SavageAUS[/mention] - Try the tips above then switch back to your regular Mac Model, worked for me and others.

From what I’m reading the update should appear, download it, reboot with different smbios, next reboot revert back to proper smbios and continue update. The problem I have is not the downloading or installing but the update not showing up at all.

Beta 7 full installer is available for download for fresh install.

From where?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SavageAUS said:

From what I’m reading the update should appear, download it, reboot with different smbios, next reboot revert back to proper smbios and continue update. The problem I have is not the downloading or installing but the update not showing up at all.

From where?

Beta 7 full installer is not yet available

https://mrmacintosh.com/macos-12-monterey-full-installer-database-download-directly-from-apple/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, ic005k said:

Set "SystemProductName" to iMac17, 1, and change it back to your own model after the update is complete.

Thanks Bro but it's all done as I reported a few posts above. :thumbsup_anim:

Spoiler

795110741_ScreenShot2021-09-22at12_21_53.png.d568a302253a1d5069168597bf04a9f5.png

1 hour ago, SavageAUS said:

From where?

Yes WHERE ????