Asus P5W DH Deluxe thread for JAS 10.4.8

622 posts in this topic

Hello - I am totally new to osx86 ... I wanted to install "Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1].iso":

I NEED to install this on my ICH 7 RAID .. is that possible? there is no space to put in an IDE HDD because of my watercooling system.

It boots up but disk utility cant find my Disk set. (nothing except my DVD-Drive shows up)

please help me

You need to format a drive for osx, if your RAID is fat 32, don't think about it

Hi guys, I'm going to buy Asus P5W DH DLX soon, Can XFX 7600gt support Video Dual mode (DVI/VGA adapter + VGA) with natit ? Anybody have try this?

search the forum and the wiki, your answer is there

I have a XFX 7600 GS fully working, but no sleep yet

Well, I wrote this as an answer to a guy seeking help at asus forums. I'll post it here so it may help someone else. I would apreciate some feedback.

Quick OC guide for P5W DH/Conroe

Disclaimer: be forewarned, I’m no geek master.

I’ll write this based on the guide from tomshardware forum, my own experience and the mobo manual. I’m actually away from my pc, so no pictures from bios screens.

It’s wise to read some generic overclock articles to learn about the risks of overclocking and the sacred importance of the cooler. If you don’t trust your cooler, think twice, at least.

It’s also wise to have ddr2-667 or ddr2-800 so you wont need to run your memory at a rate slower than CPU. 667 is sweet enough if you want a 25% (fsb333) overclock, so you can keep a 1:1 FSB:RAM ratio, which is said to be smart. If you want a 50% OC (400fsb), ddr2-800 is the way to go.

I like having the bios updated. Some people are having problems with latest bios, so it’s up to you. My rig is running gewd at bios 1901 and a small OC (25%). Asus update in windows is plain easy, just remember it won’t allow you to roll back to previous version if anything gets messed, for that you’ll need afudos.

Let’s get to the BIOS. First things first, disable what you don’t use:

1- On the Main bios screen, disable all unused IDE. Where you read “undetected” set them to ignore or uninstalled.

2- Go into Power > Hardware Monitor and disable everything Q-Fan and AI Quiet. While you’re at there, disable the monitoring of fans you dont have or use (where you see N/A or some strange values, set it to ignore – my bios was reading 111000rpm from a fan that doesnt exist).

You may also set all profiles to performance mode for extra safety (it’s probably not necessary, I’ve actually never touched these settings).

Make sure you fan is at it’s highest if it has an external control.

3- Now the Advanced tab, Onboard Devices Configuration, disable the Jmicron if you dont use the second (black) IDE connector.

4- At Advanced > CPU Configuration, set Ratio CMOS Setting to your cpu multiplier (8 for my 6400, as in 8x266=2.13ghz). Disable all these:

- Max CPUID Value Limit

- Execute Disable Function

- Intel Speedstep

5- Slip into Advanced > Chipset Configuration and turn off HyperPath3. Set PEG Link Mode to Normal.

You should turn on Configure DRAM timings by SPD if you want to go for high OC. If you’re going for fsb333 (25%OC), you can disable SPD and set your memory to the tightest (lowest) timings they can handle. Check your memory specs for these.

6- We’re getting there. Jump to Advanced>JumperFree Configuration. Set AI Overclocking to Manual. Now you’ll see all the OC settings.

FSB should be 266 for the 6000’s Conroe series.

Set your DRAM Frequency to 533. This will keep the 1:1 ratio mentioned above: (2x266):533.

Leave Performance Mode at Auto or Standard (I’m not sure what this setting does)

Set PCI Express Frequency to 100.

Set PCI Clock Synchronization Mode to 33.33.

Set Memory Voltage as in your memory specs.

Set MCH Voltage to 1.50V

Set ICH Voltage to 1.05

For FSB Termination Voltage, use 1.30 for a 25%OC(fsb333). You may need to set it to 1.40 if you’re going for higher clocks.

For VCore voltage, it’ll depend on your luck. Some chips dont need high voltages and some do. I overclocked my rig to fsb333 on 1.3vcore. Tomshardware’s forum guide suggested these values:

E6300=1.370V E6400=1.375V E6600=1.400V E6700=1.400V X6800=1.400V

There’s basically two ways of overclocking:

1- you rise the fsb and the voltage to high values from start and then tune it downwards until you lose stability

2- you rise the fsb and voltage in small steps checking stability and stop at the last stable settings when things get unstable.

What you want is high FSB and low voltages.

I would choose some vcore in the range 1.3000-1.3625 and pray I won’t need to go above this (for a 25% OC).

We have not yet touched the CPU Frequency (fsb) setting, so we’re not overclocked. Calm down, press F10 and let the bios save everything.

Get back to that same JumperFree Configuration after reboot.

Now set the CPU frequency to 333 (press +). You’ll see DRAM frequency changes accordingly (to 667). If you go for extreme clocks like fsb400, your memory would reach ddr2-800 at this ratio. Make sure you dont go into DRAM frequency that your memory cant handle. Also make sure you have the correct timings for that final frequency set at Chipset Configuration (as in our step 5 above) if you’re not using SPD.

Press F10 again, save and reboot.

Smile. You’re OCed.

Test system stability and temperature with wPrime and SpeedFan (if you’re in Vista, you have to tell wPrime to use 2 threads).

Make sure vcore voltage is not fluctuating. Make sure temps are in range.

If everything is ok, you can try higher Cpu frequency or lower voltages until you get satisfied with your CPU Clock/Voltage/Temperature.

If you mess things up, hold Insert while booting to reset bios settings or clean the cmos manually (check the board manual for this).

Good luck and have fun. Sorry if my English is not perfect. If I missed something or wrote bad advice, please let me know.

Edited by panurge

Thanks Panurge for this guide, it's usefull: I'm on my way for buying dd2-800 ;-)

Panurge, do you know a reliable way to know your cpu temps on mac os x ?

Is the motherboard probe in the bios reliable ?

Anyone know how I could use the sleep mode ? Because in actually, when my iHack wakes up from sleep, it reboots.

More info on RAID setup:

I have tested the RAID setup with the Asus EZ-Backup orange ports with three sets of matching SATA drives now and here is what I have found....

My original two drives were 160GB and they formatted just fine as a single drive. No problems in OS X, no complaints. I switched up to two 320GB drives and when I went to format the RAID set, when it was finished it was greyed out and just had the "disk1s1" or whatever it was. It turns out that in some way it isn't in a 4K end so it can't format it correctly. The same thing happened with two 500GB drives. I ended up doing a split maxing out one partition and having another smaller leftover. With this I was able to continue through with the load on both the 320 and 500 GB drive sets. It is kind of annoying to be forced to have two volumes, but having a 900GB RAID0 boot drives is awesome. :)

I've no idea about monitoring apps in OSX, I always do my testing in windows because I only OC for games. Actually I don't even have OSX installed. It's no good for me until realtek release the wireless drivers. :whistle:

Yes, you can trust the hardware monitor in the bios but you also need to watch temperatures in full load (full on both cores).

Edited by panurge

More info on RAID setup:

I have tested the RAID setup with the Asus EZ-Backup orange ports with three sets of matching SATA drives now and here is what I have found....

My original two drives were 160GB and they formatted just fine as a single drive. No problems in OS X, no complaints. I switched up to two 320GB drives and when I went to format the RAID set, when it was finished it was greyed out and just had the "disk1s1" or whatever it was. It turns out that in some way it isn't in a 4K end so it can't format it correctly. The same thing happened with two 500GB drives. I ended up doing a split maxing out one partition and having another smaller leftover. With this I was able to continue through with the load on both the 320 and 500 GB drive sets. It is kind of annoying to be forced to have two volumes, but having a 900GB RAID0 boot drives is awesome. :)

Sorry but I still don't get why you've been able to do RAID with 160Gb but not with 320 or 500Gb... what is this 4k thing about ?

Maybe you could PM me, I really wouldn't like to buy a couple of hard drives that I won't be able to use in RAID 1 or 0 (haven't decided yet).

Edited by tbdl

You guys need to check this topic for OC on this board: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=110193

--

I´m thinking about replace my 7900GT for a 8800GTS. Does anyone know if it´s working with 3 support on OSX?

Unfortunately, no 512 gfx cards work yet. We need to wait for new drivers.

I've bought a XFX 7600 GS in order to wait for 512Mb cards full support.

I can't wait for a 8800 GTX fully working under OSX ! :)

Yes but 8800GTS has 320MB of RAM. I think you mean OSX doesn't support at this time more than 256MB of RAM right?

We will probably have support to it only on Leopard I guess.

Yeah, that's right.

Hope 10.5 will find a way to the P5W-DH :-P

Sorry but I still don't get why you've been able to do RAID with 160Gb but not with 320 or 500Gb... what is this 4k thing about ?

Maybe you could PM me, I really wouldn't like to buy a couple of hard drives that I won't be able to use in RAID 1 or 0 (haven't decided yet).

I was able to user raid with all the drives, I just was not able to make one large partition on the 320 and 500GB drive sets. I had to split it. When I tried to format an existing partition that showed as a single drive (made in a different program before starting OS X Install), it said it was unable to erase it and gave me an error about not ending with 4K or something like that. I don't remember it exactly any more. I am currently running the two 500GB drive set in a RAID 0 with one 865GB partition and one 76GB partition and it works great.

Just an FYI. I haven't seen this posted anywhere on these forums. If you completely remove the 2 RAID jumpers then the EZ RAID Port 1 becomes SATA2 and is controlled by the ICH7R giving 4 SATA ports. I am currently running 2 Seagate 7200.10 250Gb drives under this configuration using AHCI and a modified AppleAHCIPort.kext info.plist giving full AHCI support. NCQ is enabled.

Edited by Reptar

Unfortunately, no 512 gfx cards work yet. We need to wait for new drivers.

I've bought a XFX 7600 GS in order to wait for 512Mb cards full support.

I can't wait for a 8800 GTX fully working under OSX ! :rolleyes:

Uhm.. my x1900XT 512MB works just fine though..

And why all the probs with SATA ?

I just connected my 2 seagate hdd's to the Intel controller, which just works fine..

Why do you all use the EZ-RAID ports ? Imo the Intel controller got better specs..

This gfx is pricy, I'd rather have an 8 series from nvidia or wait some more for the R600 because with my 24", gaming would be too slow otherwise...

Maybe its compared to other gfx cards pricy, but its a damn good card, I can play COD2 and UT2004 on max, and the card is also a standard Apple Mac Pro card, it just fits nice in my system.

Damn... my specs configured as Mac Pro costs in the Apple Store Eur 3.248,99 :P...

I paid less than the half of that..

<3 osx86

Finally REALTEK released a driver for RTL8187 wireless card for 10.4.x

It reconizes my card now in System Preferences but I'm not able to open the Realtek Utility (bounces in dock only)

But maybe this is a start of wireless activity with this mobo under OSX :thumbsup_anim:

ICH7 solved....

easily

my HArd drives are flying now!!!!

Intel ICH7-M AHCI:

Vendor: Intel

Product: ICH7-M AHCI

Speed: 3.0 Gigabit

Description: AHCI Version 1.10 Supported

Results 164.84

System Info

Xbench Version 1.3

System Version 10.4.8 (8L2127)

Physical RAM 2048 MB

Model ADP2,1

Drive Type WDC WD5000AAKS-00TMA0

CPU Test 155.31

GCD Loop 356.91 18.81 Mops/sec

Floating Point Basic 172.05 4.09 Gflop/sec

vecLib FFT 120.95 3.99 Gflop/sec

Floating Point Library 112.70 19.62 Mops/sec

Thread Test 302.19

Computation 276.84 5.61 Mops/sec, 4 threads

Lock Contention 332.65 14.31 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads

Memory Test 194.30

System 197.61

Allocate 170.07 624.54 Kalloc/sec

Fill 227.26 11050.09 MB/sec

Copy 204.04 4214.46 MB/sec

Stream 191.09

Copy 200.27 4136.39 MB/sec

Scale 200.59 4144.06 MB/sec

Add 184.91 3938.93 MB/sec

Triad 180.31 3857.27 MB/sec

Quartz Graphics Test 227.34

Line 184.00 12.25 Klines/sec [50% alpha]

Rectangle 237.80 71.00 Krects/sec [50% alpha]

Circle 227.47 18.54 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]

Bezier 203.64 5.14 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]

Text 328.24 20.53 Kchars/sec

OpenGL Graphics Test 223.75

Spinning Squares 223.75 283.84 frames/sec

User Interface Test 550.43

Elements 550.43 2.53 Krefresh/sec

Disk Test 59.22

Sequential 78.61

Uncached Write 42.67 26.20 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 128.75 72.85 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 78.88 23.09 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 142.69 71.71 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 47.50

Uncached Write 17.26 1.83 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 176.62 56.54 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 75.60 0.54 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 135.68 25.18 MB/sec [256K blocks]

im sure i cna squeezze more speed form all the system now

Great!

if ppl want i can post the package here

thanks all

i'd like to know what you did for this? i dont actually notice any slow drive issues on my ICH7, i also did modify my IOSATA AHCI driver to be ICH7R so it wouldnt use or say generic, but i didnt see an increase in performance.