Asus P5W DH Deluxe thread for JAS 10.4.8

622 posts in this topic

Hllo all :)

I'm having the same problem as SADUS. SAM or Multimedia read write failed....

I have the DVD burned connected to the Intel ICH7R IDE port (the blue one).

Also swapped to another DVD but the same problem. Strangely enough the same happens with a Knoppix Live CD, altough it finishes starting after some time, but also gives errors.

With XP or Vista installations, no problem at all. hmmm... so it's not a motherboard error IMO

Also tried to narrow more the problem, then burned DVD's in other PC, just to see if it was the burning process, but it is discarded also.

I've tried all kind of combinations in BIOS, but now I have the most widely used, IDE enhanced, on SATA.

What setup do you have guys, where do you have your DVD connected, what cables etc...

SADUS, did the IDE-USB conversor the trick?

PS My complete setup:

ASUS P5WDH deluxe

Conroe 6600

2 Gb OCZ

1 HDD WD Raptor X 150 Gb on sata red

1 Seagate Barracuda 300 Gb on sata

DVD Samsung Lightscribe SH-S182M

Thanks

i have not yet recorded a dvd or cd using mac osx, my setup is like this:

- p5w dh dlx with e6600 @ 3.6, bios 1602

blue ide connector:

- ide master: samsung sp1604n (windoze partitions, startup)

- ide slave: teac dv-w50d (dvd+/-r)

black (e)ide connector:

- ide master: ancient ibm 9.5gb (osx install)

the default boot is set to the samsung, on booting i press f8 and select the ibm and

it works like a charm (my way of selecting os') :blink:. i have not yet hooked a sata-drive

(be it a hdd or a dvd) to the sata-connectors on this board.

also i never have had any issues booting or loading any cd / dvd. neither in windoze

nor in linux nor in mac osx using this configuration

will look up the exact bios config for this rig later. can't be bothered to reboot and

check now :thumbsdown_anim:

/edit

maybe this may help you lot?

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=42317

Edited by 68030

Thank you 68030

Really is a stange thing. I can't understand why the DVD gives tihose kind of read/write errors during boot up in Mac OS X and Linux (Knoppix), but not in Windoze. Im sure the unit works because I have burned in XP without problems. Also I've setup it as slave to no avail. Change to another DVD unit, and the same...

The link gives me new hopes. I'll try and tell you. But yet can't understand why other p5w deluxe don't need to do this to boot up correctly from ATAPI unit. That's something makes me suspect of my config or, worse, something being fault? I have never had an error like this... works in XP but not in other OSes :P

That dump your bios setup that could be great

Cheers!

so here's my bios settings:

first page (clock settings, bla) it shows the following:

pri ide master: samsung hdd

pri ide slave: teac dv-w50d dvd writer

(both connected to the blue ide port)

sec ide master / sec ide slave: not listed there's no secondary listed anywhere

third ide master / slave: nothing attached

fourth ide master / slave: nothing attached

which is odd as there's an ibm hdd attached to the other (black ide) port on the board

ide configuration:

configure sata as: standard ide

onboard ide operate mode: enhanced

enhanced mode support on: s-ata

ide detect time out: 5 sec

onboard devices:

jmicron sata / pata controller: enabled

jmicron controller mode: basic

jmicron sata / raid bootrom: enabled

(that's where the ibm ide hdd shows up, also takes a break on booting there, to list all the

drives attached to it - which in this case is only this one ancient ibm that houses mac osx)

dh feature page:

ez raid mode: disabled

boot settings:

hard disk drives:

1st: samsung

2nd: ibm

that's all and it works like a charm, i've to say. no error whatsover regarding drives.

the only annoying bit i get is the "config drive error" that pops up - and it finder it shows

that 320kb sized configdisk - whatever that is. but i don't mind clicking that one error

message away, if everything else works flawlessly :whistle:

hope you could make use of this. apparently some settings were different from what i

thought i remember. these above i have copied just 5 mins ago.

bios revision 1602, and a board of the #67xxxx serialnumber range

Thanks again 68030.

The IBM not being detected in your setuo it's normal, as the bios loads the jmicron chip that controls the black IDE port, at the end stage. This also has happened to me.

I can't remember if I've tried your setup exactly (master HDD and slave DVD), So I'll try again. Also will check the mainboard version. All this infromation yo gave is very useful to narrow the problem.

I'd like to Know if somebody else is running the system with a DVD in the blue IDE port, and one or two hard disks in the SATA ports, and their experience with booting from DVD with non-XP OS'es. Until the moment, I couldn't, and I'm forced to use VMWare installs to bypass the trouble.

btw 68030, when I solve this, I'd like to know how did you get your 6600 overclocked, but later :D problems in 1 by 1 and also don't wanna go off- topic

I was having kernal panics that were caused by the jmicron port being enabled. I had two ide drives installed off of it. These drives couldn't be benchmarked by xBench due to unknown errors. Disabled jmicron and not a kernal panic since. Question: I read elsewhere something about a jmicron kext on the Jass AMD/Intel dvd. IS this automatically installed or do you manually have to extract it? What should be the Bios settings for jmicron?

Also has anyone successfully gotten dual display support with any video card on this board. I get full support with a single display with a Gigabyte 7600GT but not any dual displays even with DiaboliK's and bofor's dual drivers. Diabolik suggested i get the xfx 7300gt which he says works on everything he has tried. Before I do is there something I don't know with this Asus board and dual displays? Just wanted to make sure it was indeed just the Gigabyte card I had that didnt't work and not a incompatible motherboard or something.

thanks!

I can't remember if I've tried your setup exactly (master HDD and slave DVD), So I'll try again. Also will check the mainboard version. All this infromation yo gave is very useful to narrow the problem.

btw 68030, when I solve this, I'd like to know how did you get your 6600 overclocked, but later :( problems in 1 by 1 and also don't wanna go off- topic

on the former, well if possible i would always love to have the dvd drive as a

master on its own cable, but given that you cannot attach optical drives to the

2nd ide (the black one) on this board, i can't have that.

on the latter bit.. well send me a pm when you're done getting your machine to

run. this one has been installed at 3.6g all the way, never once slower than that

:)

Problem solved. (SAM MULTIMEDIA READ OR WRITE FAILED).

Cause: One pin on the blue IDE connector.

As you may have noticed, the ASUS CD ROM cable has no guide. If you accidentally try the put the cable the wrong way, chances are that you push one of the pins (If I remember well the 11th one) with the blind spot of the cable. I discovered so in the blue connecto of my mobo. This pin was shorter than the other, (actually it was nearly pushed out of the connector). Fortunately, the pin didn't broke, and I could push it again slowly and carefully to its normal position. Yes , I said push and not pull, because it cab be pushed from the back.

Also, check the pins in the DVD unit, as it can happen the same, if you put bad the connector, one pin can be pushed. In this case, you will have to pull it out again, and pray.

This pin is related to DMA. So, you can boot from DVD, but when the OS trys to activate DMA, it gives an error. In OSX is SAM MULTIMEDIA READ OR WRITE ERROR. Also happens with Vista and some linux distribution. But XP can continue, because its design, makes it fall back to PIO mode when it can't activate DMA. So this explains why I can still use the unit (even burn) in XP, but couldn't install OSX.

Of course, this is not the unique reason for the SAM MULTIMEDIA error, but if you have checked everything else with no luck, look at the status of the connector pins, both in the mobo and the DVD unit.

Cheers!

on the former, well if possible i would always love to have the dvd drive as a

master on its own cable, but given that you cannot attach optical drives to the

2nd ide (the black one) on this board, i can't have that.

on the latter bit.. well send me a pm when you're done getting your machine to

run. this one has been installed at 3.6g all the way, never once slower than that

:P

I've heard of people succesfully connecting (and have it working :rolleyes: ) an optical drive to the black IDE.

Edited by Nonpollolike

"Also has anyone successfully gotten dual display support with any video card on this board"

I am running dual 20.1" Samsung (1680 x 1050 each) from an ASUS 7600GT using Natit dual option from the Jas 10.4.8 DVD install.

I am really enjoying the MacOS after years of using Windows. However, every rose is not without its thorn. A few of my observations so far... if anyone has a solution to them it would be greatly appreciated.

1.) Has anyone been able to get Speedstep (CPU throttle) to work with 10.4.8 and P5W-DH? I am running O/C at 3.2GHz which is totally stable, but man does the room get warm after a few hours. I initially wondered why my room was so warm after i started running OSX86... now i know why. Temp monitor reports around 63o for each core... which i don't really believe since the heatsink isn't getting that warm to touch and it runs at 38o in BIOS and in XP using Asus Probe. For the time being I have scaled back to 2.4GHz and now i can wear a shirt again :rolleyes:

2.) When the focus is on the Desktop and I am choosing something like New Folder or Get Info from the right-click menu, the Desktop will spontaneously "refresh" itself... meaning that all Desktop icons disappear and then re-appear. Not really a problem... just annoying since it will close whatever Finder window was open at the time.

3.) Has anyone discovered an Image Browser that is as good (and fast) as ACDSee is on Windows?

4.) Has anyone discovered a newsreader that is as good as XNews on Windows?

5.) Has anyone been able to run ProTools LE without a kernel panic?

6.) Has anyone figured out a way to enable Link Aggregation for the dual NIC's on this board so that they will both link to one IP address with double-bandwidth? I can do this in Windows using the Marvel drivers.

Other than those minor gripes I'm having a great time

Cheers

Edited by Discotek

I'd just like to report my successful install. Things went pretty smoothly and it was actually less hassle than installing XP.

Notes:

Using MS Intellitype drivers to fix my British keyboard.

Natit works great with dual monitors.

Removed the "Disk initilization failure" by setting SATA to AHCI (under IDE configuration on the first BIOS page).

Audio driver sucks pretty badly but it's passible.

Todo:

Fink. Maybe.

Transport my VMWare image to Parallels. Need to find a XPSP2 cd that will allow that for pseudo-reinstallation. VMWare Fusion works 'okay' but I am interested in trying Coherence. Hopefully it will allow some sembalance of dual monitor support which is sadly lacking in VMWare.

Automount NFS.

Rezise startup volume, maybe. I think I botched this somewhat by only allocating 30GB to OSX thinking I could repartion the free space later easily. How wrong I was.

Install XP and play C&C3 demo.

Thanks to the forums for providing invaluable information to get me setup! OSX is certainly the most polished *nix I have used...and on this system it flies unlike my ancient iBook.

@Nonpollolike: How about the 8800GTS.

What errors or such do you get in OSX??

NO QE/CI

When you move a windows, then appear a lot of windows overlapped, (like traces of the window)

The same when you scroll, icons that must disappear, are still there overlapping with the new ones...

I hope I express myself well or at least you can understand..

I'd just like to report my successful install. Things went pretty smoothly and it was actually less hassle than installing XP.

Notes:

Using MS Intellitype drivers to fix my British keyboard.

Natit works great with dual monitors.

Removed the "Disk initilization failure" by setting SATA to AHCI (under IDE configuration on the first BIOS page).

Audio driver sucks pretty badly but it's passible.

Todo:

Fink. Maybe.

Transport my VMWare image to Parallels. Need to find a XPSP2 cd that will allow that for pseudo-reinstallation. VMWare Fusion works 'okay' but I am interested in trying Coherence. Hopefully it will allow some sembalance of dual monitor support which is sadly lacking in VMWare.

Automount NFS.

Rezise startup volume, maybe. I think I botched this somewhat by only allocating 30GB to OSX thinking I could repartion the free space later easily. How wrong I was.

Install XP and play C&C3 demo.

Thanks to the forums for providing invaluable information to get me setup! OSX is certainly the most polished *nix I have used...and on this system it flies unlike my ancient iBook.

Sound works excelent using Taruga AppleHDA drivers search for them in Drivers

General Achi is not as fast as ICH7 ACHI in 945s

I've been looking into buying this Mobo for quite some time now and I wanted to get some user opinion. Is there any reason why I shouldnt buy this mobo? Im planning on running a dual boot with xp pro and osx86 for video editting with final cut and avid. Has anyone been able to run a raid? Im planning on buying the Intel Xeon 3050 and OC'ing it to about 3.6 GHZ on air. Id like to thank all of you guys I've been hanging around the forum for months looking for decent information on this mobo for osx86 and finally someone decided to start a theard.

B) A Sticky would be in order for this thread

RAID WORKS!

Thanks to this thread, I got the audio working well (HDA solution), network running with both nics and USB has no problems. One thing I never saw was info on the ez-backup in RAID mode. Forgive me if I just didn't see it, but here are my results:

two sataII matching drives installed onto both orange ports. Jumpers set for "raid0 (fast)" [jp2 only]

jmicron controller disabled, sata set to standard (not raid or ahci). No errors on boot. I see 300 GB usable which is just about right for two 160GB drives.

I believe I am using the JaS 10.4.8, but it is one of the earlier ones, not the AMD+Intel with all the updates.

Here is the xbench results:

Results 72.67

System Info

Xbench Version 1.3

System Version 10.4.8 (8L2127)

Physical RAM 1024 MB

Model ACPI

Drive Type External Disk 0

Disk Test 72.67

Sequential 172.24

Uncached Write 203.83 125.15 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 182.74 103.40 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 108.50 31.75 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 275.54 138.49 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 46.05

Uncached Write 16.68 1.77 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 119.30 38.19 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 83.29 0.59 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 153.20 28.43 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Wow, that's great, theis was the only thing not working on my hackintosh.

What about the other types of RAID, maybe are they all working ?!

Here are my results with a single "poor" 250 Gb HDD maxtor SATAII

Disk Test 104.61

Sequential 119.11

Uncached Write 150.78 92.58 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 129.25 73.13 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 131.08 38.36 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 86.32 43.38 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 93.26

Uncached Write 74.32 7.87 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 94.58 30.28 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 93.24 0.66 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 122.84 22.79 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Might be a problem compared to yours, what do you think ?

What kind of 160Gb do you have ?

Cheers

Edited by tbdl

Wow, that's great, theis was the only thing not working on my hackintosh.

What about the other types of RAID, maybe are they all working ?!

Here are my results with a single "poor" 250 Gb HDD maxtor SATAII

Disk Test 104.61

Sequential 119.11

Uncached Write 150.78 92.58 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 129.25 73.13 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 131.08 38.36 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 86.32 43.38 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 93.26

Uncached Write 74.32 7.87 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 94.58 30.28 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 93.24 0.66 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 122.84 22.79 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Might be a problem compared to yours, what do you think ?

What kind of 160Gb do you have ?

Cheers

I am using two Seagate 7200.9 160GB in a RAID0, so that is where the extra speed is coming from. Setting the BIOS to no raid, but jumpering the MB makes the two orange sata ports appear as a single sata disk to any OS.

Hello - I am totally new to osx86 ... I wanted to install "Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1].iso":

I NEED to install this on my ICH 7 RAID .. is that possible? there is no space to put in an IDE HDD because of my watercooling system.

It boots up but disk utility cant find my Disk set. (nothing except my DVD-Drive shows up)

please help me