Asus P5W DH Deluxe thread for JAS 10.4.8

622 posts in this topic

Here's my P5W DH Deluxe + E6600 report.

My configuration is:

Asus P5W DH Deluxe

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.4Ghz

2x1GB Super Talent CL5 800Mhz

XFX 7900GS

2x320GB Seagate Barracuda, 16MB cache, SATAII (7200.10 series)

Pioneer DVR-111D

Seasonic S12 500W

+

M-Audio Audiophile USB

Wacom Intuos 3 A5 Wide

I used JaS 10.4.8 DVD, with SSE3. I have Windows XP on my first Barracuda, and with Acronis Disk Director I formated 30GB Fat32 partition (primary) on my second Barracuda (I also installed Acronis OS selector, for dual booting purposes). At install I used Disk Utility to convert that partition into HFS Journaled. Installation was smooth, without any problems. On my first boot I used Natit installer for my 7900GS (prior to that there was lot of tearing etc.). It also went great, smooth and fast. At the moment I have one display connected to first DVI port with DVI-VGA adapter, and I still haven't connected my other display (also CRT), so I can't report on my dual display option, but I'll do it soon. I have all resolutions supported, and graphics seem great at the moment.

After Natit installer and restart, I replaced AppleSMBIOS.kext, which corrected my "About Mac" info (although it reported incorrect 1.8Ghz). Then I replaced mach_kernel with Semthex beta8 - it also went smooth, and "About Mac" now displays correct info (2.4Ghz and correct bus speed). Memory frequency is not displayed (0Mhz), but that's common problem at the moment AFAIK.

My USB still didn't work, so I installed IOUSBFamily-261.4.2_Intel.pkg. After reboot my Audiophile and Wacom tablet are recognized and work just great (I used official M-Audio and Wacom drivers).

I still haven't installed any applications (apart from several OS utilities and such), so I can't comment on specific app behavior, but I'll keep you posted.

Now for things that don't work - I didn't bother with onboard audio, since I have USB audio interface, but at one point I'll toy with onboard sound too. I also haven't tinkered with network yet, so I can't comment on that, but it's one of the things I plan to do.

So far I'm very pleased with installation process, and it took me less time to have running Hackintosh, than it takes me to install Windows XP usually :D. Of course, I've spent lot of time on this forum reading various reports and techniques, but that's another story. I practically haven't touched terminal window or any kexts manually (apart from mach_kernel and AppleSMBIOS.kext, but it was basically copy / pasteing several lines of text).

I ran XBench, and here are the results:

Results 142.87

System Info

Xbench Version 1.3

System Version 10.4.8 (8L2127)

Physical RAM 2048 MB

Model ACPI

Drive Type ST3320620AS

CPU Test 122.05

GCD Loop 281.27 14.83 Mops/sec

Floating Point Basic 134.71 3.20 Gflop/sec

vecLib FFT 94.93 3.13 Gflop/sec

Floating Point Library 88.81 15.46 Mops/sec

Thread Test 236.33

Computation 216.44 4.38 Mops/sec, 4 threads

Lock Contention 260.25 11.20 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads

Memory Test 166.88

System 160.54

Allocate 134.80 495.04 Kalloc/sec

Fill 167.00 8119.68 MB/sec

Copy 189.37 3911.46 MB/sec

Stream 173.75

Copy 162.30 3352.17 MB/sec

Scale 166.94 3449.00 MB/sec

Add 183.40 3906.83 MB/sec

Triad 184.58 3948.66 MB/sec

Quartz Graphics Test 183.29

Line 148.46 9.88 Klines/sec [50% alpha]

Rectangle 189.31 56.52 Krects/sec [50% alpha]

Circle 183.09 14.92 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]

Bezier 165.73 4.18 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]

Text 265.58 16.61 Kchars/sec

OpenGL Graphics Test 179.44

Spinning Squares 179.44 227.63 frames/sec

User Interface Test 342.00

Elements 342.00 1.57 Krefresh/sec

Disk Test 60.15

Sequential 148.09

Uncached Write 139.10 85.41 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 138.28 78.24 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 167.03 48.88 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 151.43 76.11 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 37.74

Uncached Write 12.85 1.36 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 94.97 30.40 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 92.30 0.65 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 146.97 27.27 MB/sec [256K blocks]

As I understand, those are ok results for my configuration, no? (I know XBench is not very reliable benchmark tool, but I guess it's okay to get general picture of computer performance).

As for Internet connection, I couldn' set it up. I have Siemens USB ADSL modem, and I couldn't find OS x drivers for it (as I understand it's tricky to set USB modems on Hackintosh). I also have one LAN DSL modem (Teledat-430 DSL), but I'm not sure if it would work (I also don't have any drivers for it). What are your suggestions for ADSL modem? I could also get Siemens SE555 modem / Wi-Fi router combo, but I'm not sure if it would work. Do you have any other suggestions and / or solutions? (could I maybe set-up Wi-Fi network, and share the ADSL connection, or that wouldn't help?)

Do you have any other suggestions, comments etc. for my next steps (did I maybe forgot some steps etc.)?

I'm also interested how reliable / fast would this hackintosh be for professional workflow? I'm illustrator / graphic designer, and I use Adobe CS2 Suite, Corel Painter etc. on daily basis, and some music apps (Native Instruments Reaktor, Max / MSP, Logic Audio, Ableton Live etc.) for fun / hobby. I love how Mac OS X works, and I would prefer to do my Photoshop / Illustrator work on it, but I'm concerned how big would performance / stability hit be on my hackintosh. I'm also interested if there is potential danger for my components if I run hacked Mac OS like this (for example higher temperature, problems with HDD etc.). Could you recommend some good monitoring app for Mac OS, for reading motherboard and CPU temperatures (something like Everest and Core Temp on Windows) - I tried iStat, but it doesn't report CPU / MBO temperatures (it says "sensor not found").

i am seriously considering getting this board allong with a qx6700, or a core 2 duo, is this THE BEST choice? how well does this work with the non reseed jas 10.4.8? i gave the reseed to a friend and he hasnt returned it yet

i am seriously considering getting this board along with a qx6700, or a core 2 duo, is this THE BEST choice? how well does this work with the non reseed jas 10.4.8? i gave the reseed to a friend and he hasn't returned it yet

There's new JaS DVD for download.

Yes, P5W DH is one of the 3 best motherboards for E6600 / E6700 you can get now, plus it works almost perfectly "out of the box" with JaS DVD, so I wouldn't look much further. You can also get nice OC with that board (3.5-3.6GHz for E6600, on air), it has some cool additional features (eSATA port, Wi-Fi, remote control etc.). I'd definitely recommend that board, both for "only" Windows system and for Hackintosh system.

I'm also not sure if it's right time for QE6700 investment. Quad prices will drop in Q2 2007, and lot of apps don't benefit from additional cores. Take a look at the various benchmarks, and decide if the results justify price premium and its cost.

Edited by Gorosh

Hey guys! I am new to the forums here and have just recently heard about all of this OSx86 stuff. I have read this thread and many others with great detail and am ready to purchase/build a computer. I have built computers before and plan on building a nice Core 2 Duo system that I can overclock well(from 2.16 GHz to about 2.9-3.0 GHz) AND run OSx86 on. My main reason for installing OSx86 is for Final Cut Pro. I will be needing it for college. Here is a list on components I have selected so far: OSx86 parts

What video card and DVD burner would you guys suggest? I am going for maximum compatibility here so if you see ANY problems please share them with me. My main concern is also whether or not I can capture/edit DV footage via FireWire and burn to DVD. I don't need wifi for this computer and I need to make sure that everything is also compatible for Vista. Any help will be greatly appreciated. :)

P.S. I am downloading the JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3 image as we speak. I have also reviewed justin's blog on getting everything running on a P5W DH.

On the specifications page on the ASUS' webiste for the p5W DH Deluxe it says there is a "Silicon Image 4723 Hardware RAID controller" onboard.

This being a hardware RAID controller, does it work in OSX? How (any modification of kexts etc?)? With RAID 0? RAID1?

Hey guys! I am new to the forums here and have just recently heard about all of this OSx86 stuff. I have read this thread and many others with great detail and am ready to purchase/build a computer. I have built computers before and plan on building a nice Core 2 Duo system that I can overclock well(from 2.16 GHz to about 2.9-3.0 GHz) AND run OSx86 on. My main reason for installing OSx86 is for Final Cut Pro. I will be needing it for college. Here is a list on components I have selected so far: OSx86 parts

What video card and DVD burner would you guys suggest? I am going for maximum compatibility here so if you see ANY problems please share them with me. My main concern is also whether or not I can capture/edit DV footage via FireWire and burn to DVD. I don't need wifi for this computer and I need to make sure that everything is also compatible for Vista. Any help will be greatly appreciated. :)

P.S. I am downloading the JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3 image as we speak. I have also reviewed justin's blog on getting everything running on a P5W DH.

p5w-dh is a good board, ram is good too and the e6400 will go to 3-3.4ghz. you'll need to add a videocard to your system, i'd suggest an nvidia and make sure it has less than 256M.

p5w-dh is a good board, ram is good too and the e6400 will go to 3-3.4ghz. you'll need to add a videocard to your system, i'd suggest an nvidia and make sure it has less than 256M.

you mean less than 512, i.e. it can be 256 with out a problem.

So what about the Sil 4723???

Is anyone else having keyboard problems?

I installed 10.4.8 with only the ComboUpdate and Semthex kernel options, and everything goes fine, except no keyboard is detected when I boot. I've tried both a ViewSonic USB keyboard and a plain PS/2 keyboard. Keyboard doesn't work with the installer either (except at the Darwin boot prompt). No problem with the mouse.

My only guess is that it might be the BIOS. I updated to 1801 in the hope that it might fix the obscenely-long-POST-time (nope, still need to disable all the fan monitors).

Is anyone else having keyboard problems?

I installed 10.4.8 with only the ComboUpdate and Semthex kernel options, and everything goes fine, except no keyboard is detected when I boot. I've tried both a ViewSonic USB keyboard and a plain PS/2 keyboard. Keyboard doesn't work with the installer either (except at the Darwin boot prompt). No problem with the mouse.

My only guess is that it might be the BIOS. I updated to 1801 in the hope that it might fix the obscenely-long-POST-time (nope, still need to disable all the fan monitors).

installing the USB2.0 packages will break USB. to get usb working, checkout my blog with links on the usb drivers :

http://rakis.net/~justin/blog

just read the first article all the way at the bottom and only follow the part for USB.

P5W DH Deluxe, E6600...

IDE DVD drive (primary master on the Intel IDE port, master jumper set too)...

1 Maxtor SATA drive in (primary master - first one listed in bios)... came with my G5 actually ;-)

Latest BIOS in use, settings set ok I think (JMicron disabled, Intel in AHCI mode with extended support for both SATA/PATA, APIC 2.0... No Execute was left enabled... high cpu id thing for legacy os's not enabled)...

Getting the dreaded Still waiting for root device, when booting from DVD, tried all the options in the FAQ (-v -f etc)

Even after setting 1 id=af partition for the whole disk in XP first (booted from another drive that was unplugged when trying to install)

I see all the great tips about which drivers to use etc but it won't even install natively yet. Seems like tons of people have it working with this same motherboard so I'm not sure what the problem is.

- Just ordered a IDE->USB converter for the DVD drive to try, was that necessary for anyone lese?

- One entry in the FAQ said to disable second CPU on dual core CPU's, credited to joost, is that really necessary? Can't seem to find the place to do that in the BIOS.

- Tried installing the VMWare method which installed fine, however upon reboot there is just the grey kernel panic screen with no info, or the apple with a (\) no-smoking sign on top of it.

thnks!

try configuring your ide as standard ide not achi, use ide enchanced mode

BTW

wich kernel are u using? how is your cpu detected, im a new arrival to the P5W DH deluxe scene,

Anyone had luck with the DH remote or the wireless device?

im using DaemonES kernel but it only shows one core, semthex kenel dioesnt seems to be too stable. Applelife.ru is gone.. any ideas?

Edited by aberracus

try configuring your ide as standard ide not achi, use ide enchanced mode

Tried all the combinations. Did make a little progress - with some of the combinations of settings, the DVD drive was trying to read constantly and I got a multimedia error, but still waiting for root device as well.

SAM Multimedia: READ or WRITE failed, ASC = 0x29, ASCQ = 0x00

I am taking that as progress. ;-) I think the DVD is fine because it installed under VMware with no errors but whatever. Trying to re-burn at 1x speed for the hell of it (though that is lame I guess maybe the jitter / error correction does not work so great with a wacky Apple driver), and a IDE->USB converter to try on the DVD drive will be here tomorrow.

IDE Configuration page:

Configure SATA as.... Standard IDE

Onboard IDE Operate Mode... Enhanced mode

Enhanced Mode Support On: S-ATA

Timeout default 35s

result:

- SAM Multimedia: READ or WRITE failed, ASC = 0x29, ASCQ = 0x00

- DVD drive flashes nonstop like its trying

- still waiting for root device and SAM Multimedia errors repeat nonstop

I get the same SAM Multimedia error now if I switch back to AHCI mode instead of Standard IDE. However XP fails to boot then so I am leaving it at Standard IDE / Enhanced S-ATA only for now. The enhanced mode is some weird "combo SATA2 and SATA4 port", probably activates the build in RAID but I would not trust a shriveled and useless third {censored} with software RAID.

Looks like this post has a potential fix for that new error

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=31409

Damnit, mine is 40-pin sure enough.. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16812104002 and the Asus cable is too short.. I guess replacing that, or that IDE->USB converter would have gotten around it too if that worked instead. Yay, I have a glimmer of hope ;-)

BTW

wich kernel are u using?

Just the standard Apple kernel on a legit Mac Pro of course! Definitely not the JAS 10.4.9 intel sse3/sse2 amd DVD with the PPF1 patch as well as the PPF2 path that fixes disk utility that is described in the current genius bar post about how to get 10.4.9 working. Quite sure of it. ;-)

how is your cpu detected, im a new arrival to the P5W DH deluxe scene,

Anyone had luck with the DH remote or the wireless device?

VMWare set to use 2 CPUs didn't crash during the full install though it wouldn't reboot native without kernel panic'ing. I think the JaS release notes of the PPF1 patch said something about fixing showing CPUs correctly? I have not looked into the wireless, not something I have used yet..

im using DaemonES kernel but it only shows one core, semthex kenel dioesnt seems to be too stable. Applelife.ru is gone.. any ideas?

I think the JaS DVD uses the semthex one. That stickied post in the genius bar thing has a full list of 10.4.9 kernels though I think.

Edited by Sadus