AMD High Sierra Kernel Release and Testing

1,119 posts in this topic

Okay, finally up and running after a lot of banging my head against the wall.  Big thanks to all of you for helping me out and sharing your files.

I noticed you have the C6H. What are you using for your network? I found that IntelIGP.kext works for me but after a while it bugs and stops working.

I have some Vega questions.  Certain apps seem to lockup my system such as Discord. Is acceleration currently bugged with some apps? Also, is there a way to monitor hardware, GPU or CPU?

Piker has some fixes for Vega, they work for Intel systems so not sure about AMD CPUs.   The IGBkext has issues they may be causing some software bugs as well.

Okay, finally up and running after a lot of banging my head against the wall.  Big thanks to all of you for helping me out and sharing your files.

Did you do you fresh install or upgrade? And also, are you running a Ryzen + Vega rig?

Did you do you fresh install or upgrade? And also, are you running a Ryzen + Vega rig?

Fresh install. I had to use a VM to build the USB stick which was a bit tricky. I created a 10.12 installer then replaced relevant files with 10.13 ones. Once I was able to install I had to figure out a way to mount my SSD in the VM. I ended up using an external docking station. Lastly,

I'm running an 1800x and Vega 64.

Piker has some fixes for Vega, they work for Intel systems so not sure about AMD CPUs.   The IGBkext has issues they may be causing some software bugs as well.

I checked his site and the usual places but I'm not finding anything.

@Gigamax

Do you think your kernel could speed up even pascal cards?

It’s Bronya’s kernel I just ran a script and somehow ended up with it in my S/LKernel folder. But it has boosted benchmarks and runs well, it’s just restarts after kernel loads unless single user mode is used. It takes forever to boot as well. But there may be something to it that increases performance, or the clock timings may just be abnormal?

I checked his site and the usual places but I'm not finding anything.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/324392-ryzen-clover-installation-guide-macos-sierra/

I think it was a aplegraphicskext find and replace command, check with Ciro on his thread for Polaris and Vega IDs in Sierra and High Sierra, he may know where it’s at.

Can someone share a prelinkedkernel that has my USB fix included in it please. I'm trying the createinstallmedia method fagneroliveira posted.

@shaneee

do you know how to disable or prevent the automatic generating of prelinkedkernel file on the new kernel ?

because whenever i put my prelinkedkernel file from my Sierra HDD   to USB/System/Prelinkedkernel/

my prelinkedkernel file gets replaced by the new prelinkedkernel file ,  that is automaticaly generated  by the kernel on USB  . :/

No it's done automatically when the system detects they don't match. Just generate one for the USB. 

sudo kextcache -u /Volumes/USB

i did

but it always omits the usb fix kexts , while generating due to incorrect permissions .

and i also tried everything to fix it permissions (tried kext utility / KCPM pro / kext wizard ) but it still says incorrect permissions and ommits the usb fix kexts.

i did

but it always omits the usb fix kexts , while generating due to incorrect permissions .

and i also tried everything to fix it permissions (tried kext utility / KCPM pro / kext wizard ) but it still says incorrect permissions and ommits the usb fix kexts.

The Dummy kexts will be omitted but dependancies may be available else where. It'll still work though. 

Also check you PM.

Do you have a spare drive to test with?     I ran the script and recompiled a kernel ( this is Bronya's Kernel not my own ).     It will only boot in single user mode but it has increased my Benchmarks.    They are much closer to my Intel based Hackintosh but the CPU is much higher.    My openGL Uningine benches gained about 20%.     I'll send it to you if you want to test on Nvidia.

Before Recompile.                                                                                      After.

attachicon.gifRyzen High sierra Geeekbench CPU.png attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-10-07 at 9.29.30 AM.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-10-07 at 12.39.23 AM.pngattachicon.gifRyzen Vega Luxmark.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-10-04 at 11.29.12 PM.pngattachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-10-07 at 2.43.40 AM.png

nice results. thx for your offer and i would be happy if you send me the kernel. i have spare drives to test ofcourse ;)

thx

• Like 1

i did

you can mount the usb on linux and do

sudo chown -R 0:0 messed_up_kext

as last resort.

• Like 1

Do you have a spare drive to test with?     I ran the script and recompiled a kernel ( this is Bronya's Kernel not my own ).     It will only boot in single user mode but it has increased my Benchmarks.    They are much closer to my Intel based Hackintosh but the CPU is much higher.    My openGL Uningine benches gained about 20%.     I'll send it to you if you want to test on Nvidia.

Before Recompile.                                                                                      After.

attachicon.gifRyzen High sierra Geeekbench CPU.png attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-10-07 at 9.29.30 AM.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-10-07 at 12.39.23 AM.pngattachicon.gifRyzen Vega Luxmark.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-10-04 at 11.29.12 PM.pngattachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-10-07 at 2.43.40 AM.png

I noticed in one of your screenshots you use 19,1. I've seen some posts about this. Does it work with Ryzen and is there any benefit to using it? So many random apps use hardware acceleration in OSX. Not a fan of the crashes.

I noticed in one of your screenshots you use 19,1. I've seen some posts about this. Does it work with Ryzen and is there any benefit to using it? So many random apps use hardware acceleration in OSX. Not a fan of the crashes.

I tried it for the Vega card intel users benefit from it but I didn't notice any difference.

prelinkedkernel to share if none available??

You can create your own in Sierra/El Capitan by expanding BaseSystem.dmg from "Install macOS High Sierra.app" to a partition on your HDD or USB - see my guide post#13.

Notes

* Disable SIP

* Obviously for AMD systems, add your AMD custom kernel to /System/Library/Kernels instead of extracting the vanilla one with Pacifist

* Add the following extra kexts to Base System's /S/L/E so dependencies are met when rebuilding prelinkedkernel with kextcache below:

• AppleActuatorDriver.kext
  • AppleSMCRTC.kext
  • AppleUSBCommon.kext
  • IOSlaveProcessor.kext
  • KernelRelayHost.kext

*​ Add any other necessary kexts to make your hack function to /S/L/E eg FakeSMC, USB kexts etc

* Repair permissions: 

sudo chown -R 0:0 /Volumes/Your_Volume_Name/System/Library/Extensions && chmod -R 755 /Volumes/Your_Volume_Name/System/Library/Extensions

* Rebuild prelinkedkernel:

sudo touch /Volumes/Your_Volume_Name/System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /Volumes/Your_Volume_Name

Your new "custom" prelinkedkernel (in /Volumes/Your_Volume_Name/System/Library/PrelinkedKernels) can now be used for new installations or upgrade installs in "/macOS Install Data/Locked Files/Boot Files".  

Extra Kexts.zip

• Like 2

The Dummy kexts will be omitted but dependancies may be available else where. It'll still work though. 

Also check you PM.

shaneee

check pm !

and guys here is the 10.13 prelinkedkernel :

http://www65.zippyshare.com/v/jF9hX0qA/file.html
  • Like 1

What did you use to make the 480 work ? I get stuck at apple logo after the verbose output is done.

I’m using lilukext, liludsymkext amd whatevergreen in Clover kexts 10.13 , with Inject kexts in clover settings, and I also put lilu and whatevergreen kexts in S/L/Extensions folder. Now, my RX 480 was in the System af first, I couldn’t boot, it went to black screen then I switched to Nvidia gt210, no luck then I used r7 265 (R9 270) and finally got it booted. After it was initially booted I ran kext utility and then every card worked.

• Like 1

I’m using lilukext, liludsymkext amd whatevergreen in Clover kexts 10.13 , with Inject kexts in clover settings, and I also put lilu and whatevergreen kexts in S/L/Extensions folder. Now, my RX 480 was in the System af first, I couldn’t boot, it went to black screen then I switched to Nvidia gt210, no luck then I used r7 265 (R9 270) and finally got it booted. After it was initially booted I ran kext utility and then every card worked.

Ok I have Lilu and WhateverGreen in E/C/K/Other and added it to /S/L/E ...  it somehow worked only with flag -radbeta with after a couple of reboots (???) 

EDIT : working without flags after that.