Nvidia Web Driver updates for macOS High Sierra (UPDATE Nov 13, 2020)

fantomas
2,046 posts in this topic

Tried with new Nvidia divers 117 and they need to be installed with SIP 0X0 setting in Clover, this is to be done after agdpfix which needs SIP 0x67 set in clover and then after the Nvidia install boot using SIP as 0X03. Can you friends please confirm this?

Thank you.

I did, and it works here.. even using ~.117.pkg install under 10.13.1 (17B25c) with SIP: Enabled. Yes, a little bit tricky though.

JondzyL.png

You must have some low standards? We can barely run a damn screen saver..

I've had zero problems with the High Sierra driver, everything that I use has worked without a hitch.  The only change I made from Sierra was to add the Library Validation fix kext, I don't use Lilu or any other graphics-related patches.

You must have some low standards? We can barely run a damn screen saver..

My Hackintosh with 1080Ti does everything my real Macs do, only faster.

As I said, I suspect you are just "doing it wrong". That's not really the fault of macOS or the Nvidia driver. I totally understand your frustration, but broadcasting that the drivers don't work or that High Sierra is unusable is just confusing for other people trying to diagnose their own issues and find help here.

I don't believe for a second that your Frankintosh runs as well as an Mac, especially in 10.13..

I don't need to broadcast anything about these drivers, people can see for themselves. Nvidia drivers have been pretty horrible since 10.12 and should be no surprise and nothing to be offended by. I can assure you that your 1080Ti runs no better than my 970 or natively supported 770. 

• Like 2

Just made switch to macOS and loving it!  Please Help!

I'm running latest High Sierra on MacBookPro 5.1(DosDude1) install.

It is possible to update with these drivers? My MBP has a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M built in

I'm running latest High Sierra on MacBookPro 5.1(DosDude1) install.

It is possible to update with these drivers? My MBP has a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M built in

Hello, a little bit OffTopic but I think here is what are you looking for? Thanks.  :)

??? What are you talking about slow 1080TI? Will for sure run much faster than 970!!! You can find Luxmark or many other (OS X) Benchvalues showing that. Or check barefeat site with his real world GPU reviews.

PS: Your GTX 970 would be at least 40% slower than shown GTX 980TI value!! So 1080TI is much faster than GTX 970 - always, doenst matter CUDA, OpenCL or Metal

cmp_pas_octane.png

I don't believe for a second that your Frankintosh runs as well as an Mac, especially in 10.13..

I don't need to broadcast anything about these drivers, people can see for themselves. Nvidia drivers have been pretty horrible since 10.12 and should be no surprise and nothing to be offended by. I can assure you that your 1080Ti runs no better than my 970 or natively supported 770. 

I get that you are frustrated, but there are plenty of people who are having few to no problems with NVIDIA cards in High Sierra.  Performance of a high-end GPU like a 1080 Ti in applications that aren't CPU limited is embarrassingly better than any "real" Mac, and will still stomp on a 970 or 770.  For example:

http://barefeats.com/cmp_pascal.html

I mostly play World of Warcraft, and while there's a texturing issue affecting both the stock Apple and NVIDIA web drivers, performance on my GTX TITAN X is fantastic.

Guys, as much as I enjoy watching fights, Specially when they don't solve anything, just for the sake of the argument may I suggest that you please provide some actual benchmarks of your GPUs, so we can compere the results and see what's what?

We all know how powerful Pascal GPUs are specially 1080, 1080Ti and the TitanX and TitanXP but are they really performing to the best of their capability in mac or a hack?

Here is the benchmark of my EVGA 1070 SC

post-1011040-0-81526400-1507393180_thumb.png

Nope - Nvidia driver works perfectly. It just needs to be installed correctly. Did you ignore the warning during installation?

I did, yes... And it's the first time I see that warning. Didn't have it with Sierra. What was that about?

Not outdated. nv_disable=1 stops nvda_drv being written to (emulated) nvram. It works just fine. Whenever you have issues booting your should boot with the verbose (-v) boot arg to have more idea of what is not working.

I have to admit, I didn't have the time (or the patience) to properly investigate this. I booted in verbose mode. Couldn't make much sense of the stuff it said there, and just looked for alternative ways to fix it. As I said, I didn't have the time to properly check this. I needed a quick fix to boot back into the system. But it's a good advice. :)

nvda_drv=1 has been deprecated but it continues to work as of Clover v2.4 r4322. Without knowing all of your details I speculate that you possibly installed the WebDriver with SIP disabled which will prevent the MTL plugins loading (GateKeeper blocks them as untrusted).

That is correct. But then again, I always installed it with SIP disabled. Never had this issue before. So, I'm thinking this could be a security feature recently implemented...? Maybe? But yeah, I didn't install the driver with SIP enabled. So that could be one of the reasons (or maybe THE reason) for this issue.

The driver works with 17A405 - but the NVDAStartupWeb kext needs to be modified to prevent that kext from disabling the driver.

you@your_mac% sudo sed -e "s/17A365/17A405" /Library/Extensions/NVDAStartupWeb.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Thank you for this! I'll try it next time I have this issue.

NvidiaGraphicsFixup isn't needed for iMac17,1 SMBIOS. That SMBIOS doesn't black screen because of AppleGraphicsDisplayPolicy - only MacPro6,1 does. Your black screen is most likely caused by the nvidia driver not loading - not AGDP. My 1080Ti on X299 works perfectly with no Lilu, no NvidiaGraphicsFixup and no AGDP patches.

Well, I read online that actually iMac15,1, iMac17,1 have the same issue. I would post the link to the source, but it's on the forum which shall not be named. :) If you know what I mean. So..yeah. Anyway, I don't wanna go into details, since it's not really important. What is important is that, coincidentally or not, that kext fixed the issue for me. I had the black screen with signal, so...I don't know. Maybe the driver was loaded...? I don't know, man. That's why I love my GTX 650 at home. No nvidia drivers needed, no such issues. It just works.

EmuVariableUEFI is required because your UEFI doesn't provide native NVRAM access to the OS (some PC UEFI systems do). This isn't a flaw in High Sierra.

I didn't say it was. :) I was just trying to say that it used to work without it. At least I was able to boot into the damn system. :)) Didn't have any graphics acceleration. But at least I was able to boot. Now I wasn't able do that either.

Anyway, as I said above, this was a bit of a rant post on my side. And I apologize for that. I should have investigated better. Just didn't have the time to do it.

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer all the things I posted above. I learned a few things from your post today. So thank you for that. :)

NvidiaWeb driver installed without warning using CrsActive 0x00

How do you install the web driver with CsrActiveConfig 0x0? I can't even boot with that setting. I've got black screen with 0x0. Whereas I don't with 0x3 (which, for as far as I know, is the minimum we need to allow kext injection). So...how?

Also, this is what I get with nv_disable=1. What the hell is that all about?

post-1303722-0-19956200-1507535325_thumb.jpg

How do you install the web driver with CsrActiveConfig 0x0? I can't even boot with that setting. I've got black screen with 0x0. Whereas I don't with 0x3 (which, for as far as I know, is the minimum we need to allow kext injection). So...how?

Also, this is what I get with nv_disable=1. What the hell is that all about?

attachicon.gifIMG_0797.jpg

ok,

1. Uninstall Nvidia Web and update, change Crs 0x00 and reboot.

2. Post installation, install NvidiaWeb, change Crs 0x03 and reboot.

Rebuild cache.

• Like 1

Aptiofix doesn't boot with csr 0

Use aptiofix2 (if you can)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

It is aptiofix2. I only uninstalled .114 and installed .117 in the same session (without restart) and after reboot I can't boot into the system anymore. It just reboots. I didn't even get to install the damn Supplemental update.

Any idea?

Oh, and it won't let me delete the driver in single user mode either. No access to write?? What the hell? Since when I don't have root access​ in single user mode? Oh, and same from Terminal in Recovery mode.

Sent from my Xperia Z3C using Tapatalk

In single user mode you need to do mount first

/sbin/mount -uw /

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Did that. It still won't let me remove anything...

I'm reinstalling the OS on another drive so I can fix my main system..

Can I uninstall the driver from another system?

I managed to remove everything containing GeForce* and NVDA* from S/L/E of the main system. Still, it won't let me boot. With or without nvda_drv=1. It just goes into loading bar + spinning wheel and it just hangs there.

UPDATE:

oook, so a few things I learned today:

1. if you try to install the Nvidia driver with SIP disabled (assuming you can still boot the system), you will get a warning and tons of frustration after that.

2. if you try to boot with Nvidia driver installed and SIP disabled (after installing it, regardless whether it installed correctly or not, with or without warning), you will get stuck at the loading bar + spinning wheel.

Update: looks like I was wrong on this one, although at some point, it didn't work... Not sure what happened here. But now it seems to work even with SIP disabled.

3. if you try to boot with Nvidia driver and SIP enabled, everything ok.

4. apparently EFI injection works even with CsrActiveConfig set to 0x0. That was new for me. I thought that once you enable SIP, you won't be able to boot anymore because the kexts won't be loaded anymore (especially FakeSMC.kext). Well, apparently I was wrong.

5. EmuVariableUefi is a royal pain in the ass. You can't install/upgrade High Sierra with it in place (interestingly enough it works when you update from Sierra to High Sierra, but not when upgrading from one version of High Sierra to another). And you can't boot without it if you have Nvidia Drivers installed. So you need it, even if you would gladly throw it away.

2. if you try to boot with Nvidia driver installed and SIP disabled (after installing it, regardless whether it installed correctly or not, with or without warning), you will get stuck at the loading bar + spinning wheel.

Definitly not. Installed Nvidia Driver with enabled SIP and changed after that back to 0x67 and everything is fine.

• Like 1

Definitly not. Installed Nvidia Driver with enabled SIP and changed after that back to 0x67 and everything is fine.

It didn't work before... I tried again now, with both 0x67 and 0x3 and indeed, it worked... I'll update my post.

• Like 3