Nvidia Web Driver updates for macOS High Sierra (UPDATE Nov 13, 2020)

fantomas
2,046 posts in this topic

Another method to enable Nvidia WebDriver under 10.12 - 10.13 is simply write nvda_drv=1 directly to NVRAM (Clover Configurator has this Option as GUI), similar to manually switch between two If using Nvidia Device Manager from Apple Menu bar or Pref.

the nvda_drv=1 does nothing in config.plist anymore. But you say if it's written directly in the nvram.plist it will override the default driver from macOS to nVidia?

• Like 1

the nvda_drv=1 does nothing in config.plist anymore. But you say if it's written directly in the nvram.plist it will override the default driver from macOS to nVidia?

It should to be: Yes. On my case;

1. Nvidia Driver Manager is using Default Driver, it appears as checked option on Menu Bar (or kextstat to make sure)

2. We then write nvda_drv=1 to NVRAM (by using CC or Terminal).

3. Back to Point 1, now on Menu Bar it shows Web Driver checked (but ofc it does nothing, since we need mach reboot to load them).

4. Now just reboot to test.

Plz correct me if I was wrong. Thanks  :)

• Like 1

It should to be: Yes. On my case;

1. Nvidia Driver Manager is using Default Driver, it appears as checked option on Menu Bar (or kextstat to make sure)

2. We then write nvda_drv=1 to NVRAM (by using CC or Terminal).

3. Back to Point 1, now on Menu Bar it shows Web Driver checked (but ofc it does nothing, since we need mach reboot to load them).

4. Now just reboot to test.

Plz correct me if I was wrong. Thanks  :)

I will check it as soon as I can. I have to take care of somethings first ;)

• Like 1

Plz note that as @Micky1979 said it only required for macOS Sierra (and also High Sierra), if I still remember.

with NvidiaWeb checked, my default driver stays on NVIDIA Web Driver, regardless on the nvda_drv=1 being checked or not. I even tried to swap the NVIDA Web Driver to OS X Default Graphics Driver with and without the nvda_drv=1 flag.

If you have probs :

First check if your NVRAM has really nvda_drv=1 key!!!!! 

nvram -p shows that.

If no such nvram key at boot time the webdriver will never loaded l!

The old way for nvda_drv=1 as an kernel boot flag does nothing - you can remove it.

If yo get  nvda_drv=1 shown by nvram -p  (after you set it by sudo nvram  nvda_drv=1 or used the Webdriver menue to set it from OSX default to Web)

reboot.

If again no webdriver loaded even your nvram was OK before reboot) :

Then check  nvram -p  again - if no  nvda_drv=1 then your Mainboard didnt save the NVRAM and you need that emu...efi driver to emulate working NVRAM.

• Like 3

In my case I do not use NvidiaWeb, neither Nvda_drv = 1 and the driver loads without problems

Congrats, NP as it works well.. but here we're talking about "Nvidia Web Driver" as the topic. Enjoy!  :)

In my case I do not use NvidiaWeb, neither Nvda_drv = 1 and the driver loads without problems

the post install script on the web driver package is supposed to add nvda_drv =1  in the NVRAM but it does not always

For me Yes nvda_drv =1 must be added

me the flag I add it in the config.plist and in the NVRAM

I checked the nvram.plist and the nvda_drv=1 does exist but I don't have that flag in my config.plist.

few days ago @fabiosun mentioned in another post that nvda_drv=1 flag is deprecated since macOS Sierra.

run this in terminal:

nvram -p

​you should see if whether the nvda_drv=1 exist or not. It does exist in my nvram.

Here is the result of the command on my rig and I assume it is enabled:

nvda_drv 1%00

So the Web Package do the job for you  B)

Yes it does. I even have a little bit higher GPU benchmark on macOS High Sierra. I'm currently making backups of my Sierra SSD and soon will be migrating to macOS High Sierra :D 

P.S. I never liked macOS Sierra anyway  <_<

• Like 2

Comprobé el nvram.plist y la nvda_drv = 1 existe, pero no tengo esa bandera en mi config.plist.

Hace pocos días @fabiosun mencionado en otro post que nvda_drv = 1 bandera está obsoleta desde macOS Sierra.

ejecutar esto en la terminal:

-p NVRAM

usted debe ver si si el nvda_drv = 1 existe o no. No existe en mi NVRAM.

Este es el resultado del comando en mi equipo y yo asuma que está habilitado:

nvda_drv 1% 00

post-887245-0-56429800-1507032454_thumb.png

post-887245-0-39995800-1507032473_thumb.png

Sherlocks mencionan que el trébol para trabajar, y no hay más banderas de Nvidia.

post-887245-0-39069600-1507034811_thumb.png

• Like 1

Getting a black screen with mouse cursor I can interact with. This is with an internal NVIDIA Quadro 1000M that worked oob until Sierra. Booting in safe mode (-x) works with full resolution but no acceleration. Any help appreciated :worried_anim:

Hey Shikumo, same here. W520 with 1000m not working with high Sierra. I've tired with older kexts for applegrahics.. NV.... No luck.

• Like 1

Just a small Slice's notice about nvda_drv=1 under Clover (Rev 3733)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/304530-clover-change-explanations/?p=2277183

With my old GTX 570 I never have had to use that flag because (as mentioned above by chris1111, I think) it is Nvidia Web Driver package's job to do that (inject that variable in nvram.plist file). See bellow:

#!/usr/bin/perl
#
# postinstall perl script
#
# - set "nvda_drv" NVRAM variable to "1"
#

use strict;

# select the web driver
my $cmd = "nvram nvda_drv=1";
system("$cmd");

# done

BR

^_^

• Like 3

cyberdevs hi.i had just tested clover 4233 that gtx 960 can be enabled with only nvidiaweb setting true 

Hey Shikumo, same here. W520 with 1000m not working with high Sierra. I've tired with older kexts for applegrahics.. NV.... No luck.

also here....i have tried w520 with nvidia quadro 1000m on high sierra..but failed.. it work fine with sierra through dsdt.

@fabiosun

Again from Nvidia Web Driver package:

Thank you for purchasing an NVIDIA® graphics card for the Mac Pro.

This software package contains:

● A driver designed for your NVIDIA graphics card.
   ● A preference pane in System Preferences that includes options to:
      ◦ Switch between the NVIDIA Web Graphics Driver or Default OS X Graphics Driver.
      ◦ Enable Error Correcting Codes (ECC) on supported graphics cards.
      ◦ Automatically check for NVIDIA software updates for your graphics card.
   ● An optional menu bar item that provides easy access to the most common preferences.

During this installation, Security & Privacy Preferences may open. If it opens, click "Allow" for the NVIDIA Web Graphics Driver to load, then return to the Installer and click "Restart".

If, for any reason, you are unable to boot your system to the desktop and wish to restore your original drivers, you can do so by clearing your Mac’s NVRAM. To clear NVRAM, power on your Mac and hold down Command (⌘), Option, P, and R simultaneously before the gray screen appears. Keep the keys held down until you hear the startup chime for the second time. The system will now boot with the original drivers restored.

I guess there's nothing else to say. ^_^

• Like 1

Just a small Slice's notice about nvda_drv=1 under Clover (Rev 3733)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/304530-clover-change-explanations/?p=2277183

With my old GTX 570 I never have had to use that flag because (as mentioned above by chris1111, I think) it is Nvidia Web Driver package's job to do that (inject that variable in nvram.plist file). See bellow:

#!/usr/bin/perl
#
# postinstall perl script
#
# - set "nvda_drv" NVRAM variable to "1"
#

use strict;

# select the web driver
my $cmd = "nvram nvda_drv=1";
system("$cmd");

# done

BR

^_^

yes I mention this, I deleted my post by accident 

It is clear on the post install script

Another fresh USB install of High Sierra 10.13, Install completed and at desktop, i adjusted my settings, installed webdriver and reboot. No issues.

NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext, NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext & Lilu.kext in EFI/CLOVER/Kexts/Other. AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy kext patch in config.plist.

No issues with blank/black screen. Webdriver activated without any issues.

Probably because your CPU has an IGPU.

how so? only black screen with the cursor appears on gtx960 in combination with displayport

He has a CPU with built-in IGPU - you don't.

Many people are self-medicating here with combinations of KEXTs that don't even work, the function of which they don't understand and yet they attribute their success erroneously to said "settings". In most cases their {censored} is working OOB because of their IGPU.

• Like 1

Many people are self-medicating here with combinations of KEXTs that don't even work, the function of which they don't understand and yet they attribute their success erroneously to said "settings". In most cases their {censored} is working OOB because of their IGPU.

Oh, really? My Asus A43SJ laptop (take a look at my sig, google for detail specs) has only Single Nvidia graphics w/o IGPU. Can you give us some proofs to strenghten ur statement?

I remember, on another thread u also said that "Lilu" kext with it's plugin opens the door for malware to exploit mac kernel (again, just said it w/o any data). Have u read that recently some malwares infected mac system as well and locked it's Firmware even on real mac device? Does a real one also use Lilu? :)

#EDIT: Ah, sorry @fantomas1. If my post looks offensive, or offTopic plz delete it. Thanks. BG.

ok. and in my case, what should i try?