Nvidia Web Driver updates for macOS High Sierra (UPDATE Nov 13, 2020)

fantomas
2,046 posts in this topic

@fabiosun

We are actually looking for a best schema for lilu and its plugins (maybe open a dedicated area in the development section?). I did never say that what was posted here was useless but people has this bad tendency to mix everything in a same place.

And I'm really care about this topic and want it to be what it was created/supposed to be. I hope you all guys understand this position. Thank you.

• Like 1

fantomas1:

It's just an own compiled version of the latest lilu and fixup source from github as of 10th of October 2017.

Nothing fancy I made it for myself, it worked and I thought it could be useful for others hence I posted it.

Edit: and sorry for posting without asking for permission.

- Off topic:

I did make something else  called a free music player and that's signed for gatekeeper. I just posted it here. It's called Phonix (see this forum Mac Applications)

I had issues with Nvidia Web Driver for NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4 GB graphics, which caused to system fail to load High Sierra. I used the latest relevant driver at the moment ( (17A405) 378.10.10.10.15.117) but without any luck to get into High Sierra after installation. So I removed it via Recovery mode and did clean install by following procedure described below.

How to recover your system if failed?

Boot your machine into recovery mode and run these commands below. Replace HDD with your own name of High Sierra partition.

cd /Volumes/HDD/System/Library/Extensions/rm -R GeF*.*
touch /Volumes/HDD/System/Library/Extensions/
cd /Volumes/HDD/Library/Extensions/
rm -R GeF*.* NVDA*.*
touch /Volumes/HDD/Library/Extensions/
reboot

How to install Nvidia Web Driver

(On my case for NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4 GB graphics)

Download Nvidia Web Driver which is relevant to your system. (10.13 (17A365) 378.10.10.10.15.114  (17A405) 378.10.10.10.15.117).

Download latest Lilu.kext (>=1.20) and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext  (>=1.20)

1. Mount EFI partition of your Clover
  2. Clean all unneeded or outdated kexts from /Library/Extension, /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other, /System/Library/Extension etc.  (HWSensors, lilu.kext, NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext, NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext etc)
  3. Edit Colver configuration file, set SIP related setting CsrActiveConfig to 0x00
  4. Remove any NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext if present and install the most latest Lilu.kext (>=1.20) and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext  (>=1.20)
  5. Reboot your computer
  6. Mount EFI partition of your Clover
  7. Edit Colver configuration file, set SIP related setting CsrActiveConfig to 0x67
  8. Do not reboot yet!
  9. Install Nvidia Web Driver and reboot as installer demands.
  10. Install other kexts which might be relevant for your system.

You should have working High Sierra with latest Nvidia Web Drivers now!

How to fix CUDA (9.0.197)

If you want to use CUDA you might need to patch it to work with current Nvidia drivers, as CUDA Framework is prepared to read only specific version of the GPU Drivers, and with the last update at the moment, it doesn't recognise the installed version.

• Check the driver version from CUDA preference panel (for example GPU Driver Version: 10.25.28 378.10.10.10.15.117)
  • Go to  /Library/Frameworks/CUDA.framework/Versions/A/Libraries
  • Find closest dylib match to your driver version, on my case for 378.10.10.10.15.117 and duplicate it. Rename duplicated file, on my case libcuda_378.05.05.25_mercury copy.dylib into libcuda_378.10.10.10_mercury.dylib.
  • Copy  /Library/Frameworks/CUDA.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Info.plist on yourDdesktop
  • Add related lines at the end of NVDAResmanVersions section
<key>378.10.10.10</key>
<string>378.10.10.10</string>
  • Replace /Library/Frameworks/CUDA.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Info.plist with an updated file.
  • run these commands on terminal:
sudo kextunload -b com.nvidia.CUDA
sudo kextload -b com.nvidia.CUDA

Voila, you should have CUDA working now.

post-317285-0-90030400-1507641689_thumb.jpg

post-317285-0-03274800-1507641701_thumb.jpg

post-317285-0-96233100-1507641708_thumb.jpg

Update 

Few notes about my system: 

Software:

• Clover 4243 (SMBIOS iMac17,1)
  • High Sierra 10.13 (17A405)
  • NVIDIA Web Driver 378.10.10.10.15.117

Hardware

• Z170X-UD5 TH
  • i7-6700K
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4 GB graphics
  • 2133 MHz DDR4 16GB module

Please read this too:             #574            

• Like 5

@holyfield

Boot in safe mode (x) or with nv_disable=1 would be enough if you failed in loading web drivers - You do not have to bother you with recovery mode. Also Clover has a feature (GUI) to block the kexts you wish. It was a workaround, never tested but you can if you want. 

• Like 2

@holyfield

Boot in safe mode (x) or with nv_disable=1 would be enough if you failed in loading web drivers - You do not have to bother you with recovery mode. Also Clover has a feature (GUI) to block the kexts you wish. It was a workaround, never tested but you can if you want. 

Hi! Thank you for suggestion, but on my case this didn't help me at all, I was unable to get into High Sierra GUI, whatever I tried. So to remove Nvidia web drivers via Recovery mode was the only way to get back into GUI! But yous solution might work for someone, but did not on my case. I have used several times nv_disable=1 when updated Sierra but on this case on High Sierra this didn't work!

The real cause of problems was not dealing properly with kexts before upgrading into High Sierra. So cleaning up kexts is mandatory before upgrade from Sierra to High Sierra. 

this should be considered off topic here but in high Sierra and in my x99 rig no way to boot via nv_disable=1 or in safe mode...always system reboots itself

maybe a clover problem?

In latest High Sierra and with hacked web driver was possible to boot unflagging nvidiaweb=true in clover config.plist

Great suggestion and might work for someone. On my case the only way to get into GUI was to remove Nvidia web drivers. Please note that clover deals with NVRAM issues, but system will try to load installed kexts in any case, and if those conflict with other kexts, then you might get kernel panic etc. So removing Nvidia web rivers might be the only solution on some cases! 

nv_disable=1 prevents of nvidia driver (native or web) to be loaded so I really do not know what would be the reason it would not work with you. Also safe mode ( x ) works in the same way as nv_disable except that it will also impact their dependencies and also many other kexts. This is the best way IMO to boot if you have troubles with graphics drivers.

• Like 1

nv_disable=1 prevents of nvidia driver (native or web) to be loaded so I really do not know what would be the reason it would not work with you. Also safe mode ( x ) works in the same way as nv_disable except that it will also impact their dependencies and also many other kexts. This is the best way IMO to boot if you have troubles with graphics drivers.

Thank you! Please note that on my case this did not work. Sometimes we are used to some solutions but if circumstances change those might not work at all. So just for case some information about my system:

• Clover 4243
  • High Sierra 10.13 (17A405)
  • NVIDIA Web Driver 378.10.10.10.15.117

According to some other web resources it's enough to remove NVDAStartupWeb.kext from /Library/Extensions to get back into GUI. I used approach described above, so NVDAStartupWeb.kext was removed alongside with other NVIDIA Web Driver kexts. 

So there is no sometimes 100% right or wrong way, there is just a way to get around :D Anyway thank you very much for your effort to help and I believe on some cases those suggestions you offered, might work very great. On case of kernel panics those do not. So my guide was provided for people who are trying to use standard methods but still does not get into High Sierra GUI. But I repeat that on my case the problem was related to not handling all kexts properly before upgrading into High Sierra. I thought that upgrade to High Sierra goes as I have upgraded earlier from 10.12.x into newer 10.12.x. So I suspect that NVIDIA have made some changes in their drivers as well.

I would like to share my latest test to solve problem I and many people can have in a future Nvidia Web driver update

In my system was not possible to boot in VESA mode or in recovery partition mode (nv_disable=1 also failed) so if some things go wrong I could have a black screen with difference (signal, no signal, loop on ieuconsolesergcontrol and so on)

Also my system can't boot with 0x0 in both system parameters

I have done a test changing my old and working well optiofix64 drv with OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi

with this I can boot in recovery partition and remove from terminal NVDAStartupWeb.kext

Also I can now boot with SIP enabled and instal Nvidiaweb driver without annoying script installation error

;-)

Great news. I did some digging and on my case NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext causes reboots with latest NVIDIA Web Driver. Btw they just released a new version of this kext.  According to NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext documentation boot flag -ngfxof should avoid this kext to load if you have it installed. This might be helpful if NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext prevents you to get into High Sierra GUI.

fabiosun, if I understand correctly removing NVDAStartupWeb.kext was enough to get back into High Sierra GUI

yep!

Great. 

I did some extra digging and figured out what caused reboot of comp on my case. This issue depends at versions of used kexts.

Combination below can cause kernel panics as latest versions of NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext already includes fixes provided by NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext.

• Lilu.kext
  • NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext
  • NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext

So use only latest (Do not use NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext with them)

And boot flag -ngfxof should you help to disable NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext if needed.

Seems impossible to get to work for me.

Clean install and latest update. Installing FakeSMC (with only some FakeSMCkeywhateveritscalled in plugins), IntelMausi, GenericUSBXHCI, VoodooTSCSync and NullCPUPowerManagement. 

MacPro 6,1 SMBIOS. AGDPFix in Clover (KextsToPatch).

SIP set 0x00/0x00.

Installing nVidia webdrivers.

Drivers seem to be loading but booting to a black screen (display powers off). Trying to boot with VESA gets stuck at gIOSCreenLockState 3. Safe mode (-x) just reboots.

Same thing using Lilu and NvidiaGraphicsFixup in FakeSMC plugins.

Using NVWebDriverLibValFix gets me stuck at gIOScreenLockState 3 instead of a black screen.

After 8 hours of this I'm pretty close to be done for good with MacOS... :/

After 8 hours of this I'm pretty close to be done for good with MacOS... :/

I don't blame you! It has been a huge pain to get it working, with so many variables and different suggestions working/not working for various people, often having a knock-on effect that changes the result of subsequent attempts to get it working. The common narrative with these Nvidia drivers seems to be that it's all or nothing: either the driver loads or the whole system doesn't. I haven't heard of anyone finding a convenient way to disable them and revert to the basic driver without brutally removing NVDA* and GeForce* files, which often makes things worse thereafter.

I have one suggestion for you: have you tried with EmuVariableUEFI-64.efi installed in your Clover drivers? I thought I wouldn't need it but I had a similar experience to you and that seemed to make the difference. Incidentally, on a fresh install, I can leave SIP enabled (0x00) and install and use the Nvidia Web driver without disabling SIP.

Good luck!

I don't blame you! It has been a huge pain to get it working, with so many variables and different suggestions working/not working for various people, often having a knock-on effect that changes the result of subsequent attempts to get it working. The common narrative with these Nvidia drivers seems to be that it's all or nothing: either the driver loads or the whole system doesn't. I haven't heard of anyone finding a convenient way to disable them and revert to the basic driver without brutally removing NVDA* and GeForce* files, which often makes things worse thereafter.

I have one suggestion for you: have you tried with EmuVariableUEFI-64.efi installed in your Clover drivers? I thought I wouldn't need it but I had a similar experience to you and that seemed to make the difference. Incidentally, on a fresh install, I can leave SIP enabled (0x00) and install and use the Nvidia Web driver without disabling SIP.

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions :)

I have EmuVariableUEFI-64.efi installed (not exactly sure what it does but I always install it). Also OsxAptioFix2-free200.efi and some Test2.efi (those are required to boot at all). 

I made some progress by deleting the caches. So, essentially following holyfields advice above then booting into recovery mode to delete /System/Library/Caches/*. So far it works 2/3 times. The other time it gets stuck at the login screen. Mouse working but the screen is frozen at some stage of login in.

Well, at least it's some progress after hours of banging my head against a wall...

@Gregow @Izzard please guys make a Signature

Sure, no problem!

• Like 1

Seems impossible to get to work for me.

I guess that your High Sierra installation isn't 100% healthy.  Why you have NullCPUPowerManagement? GenericUSBXHCI?  

I suspect that you have to get more cleaner installation of High Sierra on your comp first.

I guess that your High Sierra installation isn't 100% healthy.  Why you have NullCPUPowerManagement? GenericUSBXHCI?  

I suspect that you have to get more cleaner installation of High Sierra on your comp first.

I've never bothered with power management since that tends to reduce the highest stable clock. GenericUSB is just temporary before doing the port injection properly (which is a lot of work).

check in your config if you have nv_diasble flagged

I have had the same your symptom and latest Nvidiafixup and lilu solved it but if flagged you have gloscreenlockstate loop

also solved in my case NVWeDriverLiValFix but black screen was with signal (you should also try to patch manually appledevice policy

Yes, that was running with the web drivers. Booting with nv_disable always gives the gioscreenlockstate loop.

After following holyfields steps in #563 and then deleting the caches I got it running, but inconsistently. Tried a fresh install and repeated the steps, with the extra step of deleting caches, and so far it works fine. However, nv_disable does not work which could be a bit of a pain in the future...

---

On another note, performance was mentioned previously in this thread. I'm not sure what to make of it. Luxmark and Geekbench OpenCL scores look fine. Cinebench is rather inconsistent (which is odd, considering it's one of the more consistent benchmarks out there) and OpenGL scores are plain sad (130-140fps, whereas on Windows I get 185-190fps). CPU scores are more normal, but with a difference somewhere between 100 points between runs (after rebooting).

Photoshop has a pretty laggy interface. Worse than on Sierra, which was not very good. Not sure if that's a driver issue or an issue with Photoshop.

• Like 1

Thanks Nvidia for still bringing my GT 520M to live, even with 10.13.1 Beta 2 (17B35a), and also insanelymac for great hackintosh forum, ever..!!!   :angel_not:

Hi! I have a GTX 460M (Fermi as well) and I'm still struggling. Could you pretty please point me in the right direction? I don't want to revert to Sierra :(

Hi! I have a GTX 460M (Fermi as well) and I'm still struggling. Could you pretty please point me in the right direction? I don't want to revert to Sierra :(

Ah sorry, this thread is not for hackintosh installation guide (but all about Nvidia Web Driver) as @fantomas1 has said b4.

But in short, try boot with nv_disable=1 till u reach the Desktop and properly installing web driver then..

(though after some tests under 10.13, my GF119 could natively works OOTB w/o Web Driver or Clover's InjectNvidia=true). Thanks.  :)

• Like 1

Ah sorry, this thread is not for hackintosh installation guide (but all about Nvidia Web Driver) as @fantomas1 has said b4.

But in short, try boot with nv_disable=1 till u reach the Desktop and properly installing web driver then..

(though after some tests under 10.13, my GF119 could natively works OOTB w/o Web Driver or Clover's InjectNvidia=true). Thanks.  :)

Yes, I am indeed struggling to get those "lovely" WebDrivers to work. I wanted to know what procedure you used. ^^ Sorry for the misunderstanding. 

if you can check during cinebench test (cpu and also GPU) your cpu frequency with IPG (Intel Power Gadget) in some case you could have need to oarksit performance fix to reach higher frequency i see in your overclock

I have no problem with lagginess in Photoshop ( i am using two monitor in 1920x1200 resolution). my OpenGL score is worst than your in Cinebench (about 102 frame in High Sierra) about 220000 in geekbench..bur for me they are pretty irrelevant

I can't seem to get IPG to work properly. Does it require plugins like HWSensors? The CPU type seems supported nowadays, as it installs fine without Pacifist. 

What's the oarksit performance fix? Trying to google it but coming up with very few answers... could be something worth trying though. Strange thing is on one boot I can get something like 1210 cb multicore, while on another boot I get 1350 cb (which would be a normal score compared to Windows).

In Photoshop when you move, rotate or crop an image around does it run smooth and without any lag to the cursor? Have you compared it to the performance in Windows? The performance I get is definitely a lot worse (and changing the performance settings doesn't do much).

Thanks Nvidia for still bringing my GT 520M to live, even with 10.13.1 Beta 2 (17B35a), and also insanelymac for great hackintosh forum, ever..!!!   :angel_not:

27O7qPg.jpg

I looks like the menubar transparency doesnt work, perhaps QE?CI is not running properly in your device?