Nvidia Web Driver updates for macOS High Sierra (UPDATE Nov 13, 2020)

fantomas
2,046 posts in this topic

Anyway to fix it please? My hack keep rebooting before the login

I think the old methods should to work, though I my self not test it yet, nor even updating my hSierra. You may forgot that Supplemental Update uses a newer build: "17A405" which is required by NVDAStartupWeb to loads?

So, temporarily try these (or wait till Nvidia would give us an update):

1. Boot ur hSierra with nv_disable=1 boot-arg

2. Terminal:

sudo nano /Library/Extensions/NVDAStartupWeb.kext/Contents/Info.plist 

3. Change these values:

From...
	<key>NVDARequiredOS</key>
	<string>17A365</string>
to...
	<key>NVDARequiredOS</key>
	<string>17A405</string>

4. [nano] Ctrl+O: Save | Ctrl+X: Exit.

5. Terminal:

sudo nvram -c && sudo purge && sudo rm -f /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache && sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u / && sudo update_dyld_shared_cache -force

6. Reboot ur mach, then boot hSierra w/o nv_disable=1 boot-arg. Good luck & DWYOR..!!!  :)

• Like 4

Thank you Buddy! I tried manually write the updated number of new build inside this kext but didnt solve the problem. Then i tried change my boot graphics option from peg to igd to use my intel 630 to boot, but clover only show me a blank cursor with black screen and after 30 seconds it just reboot. Why???

Anyway i try your solution step by step im desperate. Thank you

Thank you Buddy! I tried manually write the updated number of new build inside this kext but didnt solve the problem. Then i tried change my boot graphics option from peg to igd to use my intel 630 to boot, but clover only show me a blank cursor with black screen and after 30 seconds it just reboot. Why???

Anyway i try your solution step by step im desperate. Thank you

Nah, the problem is we don't know yet that Web Drivers are loaded or not under 17A405. And U said that only gotta blackscreen with cursor (not blackscreen with signal which is usually related to AGDP, or have U checked that Supplemental update rolled-back / replaced this kext with a newer one if u were previously using AGDPFix?).

Prematurely assumed, but it might "something" prevents Web Drivers (or even windowserver, if not dependency issue) to be loaded; at least after we read this. Then how if:

1. Clover user, SIP: Enabled.

<key>RtVariables</key>
	<dict>
		<key>BooterConfig</key>
		<string>0x00</string>
		<key>CsrActiveConfig</key>
		<string>0x00</string>
	</dict> 

2. Reinstall Web Driver following above article (with SIP: Enabled).

3. Repeat methods above.

4. Reboot ur mach, but it' s still with SIP: Enabled.

5. If Web Drivers are properly loaded; then reboot again with SIP: Disabled:

<key>RtVariables</key>
	<dict>
		<key>BooterConfig</key>
		<string>0x28</string>
		<key>CsrActiveConfig</key>
		<string>0x67</string>
	</dict> 

6. The last is, if above workarround doesn't fix the problem, trust me: I think be patient is way better, and give Nvidia a little bit time updating their driver.  ^_^

• Like 1

If i try to boot with nvidia disable in stuck with the spin gear before login, maybe problem with my intel 630? Help buddies please

Actually, no.

It's a mess. Nvidia driver for High Sierra is a mess. I can't boot with nv_disable=1 (probably outdated boot arg?) because of stuck loading bar + spinning wheel (so no, you're not alone), I can't boot with the regular nvda_drv=1 (I heard that's not in use anymore) because..new MacOS build which doesn't work with current Nvidia driver. Not to mention NvidiaGraphicsFixup doesn't seem to do anything anymore (black screen for SMBIOS 17,1) Etc etc etc.

Oh, and have I mentioned I can't boot without EmuVariableUEFI anymore? Yeah, that too. So...yeah. Awesome.

That's why I love my home build. Old video card, supported OOB, no Nvidia drivers needed, no such issues.

I'm soo glad I did all my testing on a copy of MacOS installed on an old HDD. Haven't installed this on my main system. Somehow I had a feeling things will go south with this update. They always do.

• Like 2

Actually, no.

It's a mess. Nvidia driver for High Sierra is a mess. I can't boot with nv_disable=1 (probably outdated boot arg?) because of stuck loading bar + spinning wheel (so no, you're not alone), I can't boot with the regular nvda_drv=1 (I heard that's not in use anymore) because..new MacOS build which doesn't work with current Nvidia driver. Not to mention NvidiaGraphicsFixup doesn't seem to do anything anymore (black screen for SMBIOS 17,1) Etc etc etc.

Oh, and have I mentioned I can't boot without EmuVariableUEFI anymore? Yeah, that too. So...yeah. Awesome.

That's why I love my home build. Old video card, supported OOB, no Nvidia drivers needed, no such issues.

I'm soo glad I did all my testing on a copy of MacOS installed on an old HDD. Haven't installed this on my main system. Somehow I had a feeling things will go south with this update. They always do.

Long time friend  :yes: . Hope you're doing great. :thumbsup_anim:  Sensible and both feet on terra firma ! Good. 

I did erase my SSD and tried the HS install and eventually restored 10.12.6 from TM backup, with same conclusions as you list. Guess we'll meed to wait some more. :wink_anim:

Have you had problems with the installation of NvidiaWeb ?. (error installation)

No I mode the preinstall script  :hysterical:

EDIT**

preinstall script

I have SIP Disable and no warning  :D

• Like 2

Are the black screens you described WITH a signal (just showing black) or with NO signal (monitor eventually turns off)? In my case, I had a black screen with signal at boot due to my 10-bit color settings being retained from Sierra - it seems the web driver for HS doesn't support 10-bit (as yet). I had to screenshare in to my hack from my laptop and change the screen resolution in System Prefs, which reduced it to 8-bit color and brought signal back.

This did the trick,,,,

I had black screens with signal and sure enough the screen sharing switch solved it all

Now I can write a guide for my mobo install  :thumbsup_anim:

• Like 2

Here is what worked for me:

First, I downloaded and installed the update package.
At boot disabled "Allow untested kexts" in clover settings
Booted from the installer
Rebooted and once again "allow untested kexts"
Installed the updated driver

Reboot and everything is running nicely

It's a mess. Nvidia driver for High Sierra is a mess.

Nope - Nvidia driver works perfectly. It just needs to be installed correctly. Did you ignore the warning during installation?

I can't boot with nv_disable=1 (probably outdated boot arg?) because of stuck loading bar + spinning wheel (so no, you're not alone)

Not outdated. nv_disable=1 stops nvda_drv being written to (emulated) nvram. It works just fine. Whenever you have issues booting your should boot with the verbose (-v) boot arg to have more idea of what is not working.

I can't boot with the regular nvda_drv=1 (I heard that's not in use anymore)

nvda_drv=1 has been deprecated but it continues to work as of Clover v2.4 r4322. Without knowing all of your details I speculate that you possibly installed the WebDriver with SIP disabled which will prevent the MTL plugins loading (GateKeeper blocks them as untrusted).

new MacOS build which doesn't work with current Nvidia driver.

The driver works with 17A405 - but the NVDAStartupWeb kext needs to be modified to prevent that kext from disabling the driver.

you@your_mac% sudo sed -e "s/17A365/17A405" /Library/Extensions/NVDAStartupWeb.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Not to mention NvidiaGraphicsFixup doesn't seem to do anything anymore (black screen for SMBIOS 17,1)

NvidiaGraphicsFixup isn't needed for iMac17,1 SMBIOS. That SMBIOS doesn't black screen because of AppleGraphicsDisplayPolicy - only MacPro6,1 does. Your black screen is most likely caused by the nvidia driver not loading - not AGDP. My 1080Ti on X299 works perfectly with no Lilu, no NvidiaGraphicsFixup and no AGDP patches.

EmuVariableUEFI is required because your UEFI doesn't provide native NVRAM access to the OS (some PC UEFI systems do). This isn't a flaw in High Sierra.

Hello everyone. Updated to High Sierra today, now I have these nasty glitches in most apps (screenshot).
At first I thought maybe it's because of previous NVIDIA web drivers I had from Sierra. So I tried to update to the latest web drivers. Installer had an error but was able to finish. Now I have latest NVIDIA web drivers and system NVIDIA drivers, and on both of them I still have these glitches. In some apps (like web browser or photo viewer) they start ~15-30 minutes after starting a system, and in some apps (like photoshop) they are shown from the very beginning.

Any ideas how to fix this?