[Guide] macOS Sierra 10.12 - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) (755) (790) (990)

MacPeet

1,596 posts in this topic

Anyone have any experience flashing BIOS on these comps?  I downloaded from A13-A20, and the only one that actually gets to the flashing portion is A13, the rest just close after checking configuration without any error.  I am using a FreeDOS USB with bios updates downloaded from DELL.

Some news:

Without Injector iGPU many AMD graphics cards no longer work with HighSierra.

However I have made a rollback of Sierra with following Kext's and the Optiplex780 works:

AMDRadeonX3000.kext

AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle

IOAccelerator2D.plugin

IOAcceleratorFamily2.kext

Unfortunately of course not update safe.

Audio works with flags -alcbeta -lilubeta and HDMI audio works as always with Shrike.

post-1358580-0-86121600-1498209609_thumb.png
  • Like 5

Guest ricoc90

What internet kext are you guys using on the 790 by the way?

I'm using AppleIntelE1000e.kext. Works fine on my 755, also works on my 790 but alot of websites are loading really slow or not at all. 
Videos do not always load, same as songs on Spotify

Edit:

Switched from AppleIntelE1000e to IntelMausiEthernet, looks like that solved it.

Hi,

first, let me thank you very much for creating this guide. Got Sierra working on my 780 with HD 6450 like a charm.

Only problem: The sound on the internal sound card is very "low", that means basically completely without bass. Is that normal? I used the AppleALC.kext posted in this guide.

Thank you very much in advance.

@ ricoc90

The GT210 works very well. No problem.
So far only HFS tried. No trials with APFS here.

@ jonas21

Du musst die Dateien als Zip-File packen, dann darfst Du auch hochladen.

try this: attachicon.gifArchiv.zip

Die DSDT.aml kommt nach EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched/
Die config.plist sollte klar sein.

Erst einmal Grüße zurück und Du kannst Dich auch bei uns im deutschen Forum blicken lassen, auf root86.

So wie Du es gemacht hast geht es nicht. Die DSDT darf nicht DSDT-3.aml heißen, wenn in der config der Name auf DSDT.aml steht.
Der Audio-Inject ist in der DSDT bereits drin. Habe ihn im Clover wieder rausgenommen. Wenn im Clover, dann hätte zusätzlich der Haken bei FixHDA gesetzt werden müssen.

When I try my GT210 EVGA card I get a kernel panic with the NVDANV50 kext when installing OSX SIerra 10.12.5, I thought there was no support for this card/kext in Sierra 10.12.5?  Instead of trying to install on the optiplex I will just install on a supported mac then move the drive over to see.

Edited:

I apologize my mistake I had a Galaxy 8400GS DDR2 512Mb not the GT210.  I put in the GT210 works flawless with Clover Inject Nvidia!!

Edited Again:

Apparently the EVGA 8400GS (new version)  also works fine but the Galaxy one I think I get a kernel panic maybe because it is DDR2 instead of DDR3 as in the Newer EVGA 8400GS cards?

Edited for the last time!

I tried the Galaxy 8400GS and now its works fine.  I don't know why I was getting a kernel panic with Nvdanv50 or Nvstartup but I suppose you cannot use this particular card when installing Sierra fresh?

Guest ricoc90

Can some help me with the installation on Optiplex 780..when I unplugged the GPU which is AMD Sapphire HD6450 1Gb  with intregrated GPU onboard it can boot properly but when I connect the HD6450 the apple logo show up after a few seconds it goes blank screen.

The HD 6450 should work OOB on the default framebuffer. 

Are you injecting the card in any way? If so you'll get a blank screen because the framebuffer personalities need to be patched.

Look into your config.plist and make sure that InjectAti is set to false:

<key>Inject</key>
  <dict>
  <key>ATI</key>
  <false/>
</dict>

EVGA GT 710 does work if you enable EDID in clover otherwise you get a dark screen.  I see the mouse just no output from LCD.  I have the usual fixes for the dreaded dark black screen, NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext and Lilu.kexts in EFI Clover so that is not the reason why for the dark screen.  Try your GT710 again with EDID enabled in graphics section of Clover config.

Edited just now:

I tried to boot again without EDID enabled and I have LCF output now, not sure why initially that happened.  What was the issue with the EVGA GT 710 glitches?  Whatever it was try to enable EDID to see if that takes care of it.

Thanks!

Hi I'm having problems after installing Sierra, I'm using an OptiPlex 790 (A15)  + HD5450 (Legacy boot). I created a USB install using the following options with Clover 3998.

Install in the ESP

790 DSDT & config

and the rest of the settings as per the guide.

I can get to the install sierra page fine, although I can only select the disk utility if I change the language (strange!). I can install macos sierra without any problems but when it reboots (using the USB installer) I cannot see the newly installed sierra partition in the clover boot manager I can only see the USB installer.

First time I've ever had this problem, does anybody know what I'm doing wrong ?

Thanks

Hello guys,

Whenever I use the DSDT from the first page, my Optiplex 780 either panics with this message or it boots up but neither mouse nor keyboard work.  The minute I boot without the DSDT, everything works great but unfortunately that disables sleep/wake.  Any thoughts ?   Here is my config.plist

Thank you

post-1202131-0-80452200-1499382195_thumb.jpg

config.plist.zip

Hello guys,

Whenever I use the DSDT from the first page, my Optiplex 780 either panics with this message or it boots up but neither mouse nor keyboard work.  The minute I boot without the DSDT, everything works great but unfortunately that disables sleep/wake.  Any thoughts ?   Here is my config.plist

Thank you

Obviously, you didn't follow the guide to the letter…

Your config.plist i wrong. Use files from DSDT_and_config_for_Optiplex990.zip (DSDT.aml goes to CLOVER/ACPI/patched) and put kexts from 10.12.zip in CLOVER/Other.

Hi All

I've now managed to get Sierra 10.12.5 installed (Optiplex 790 i3-2120 HD5450) using the legacy method and the 790 DSDT & config files. Its working well but I do have two problems:-

1) It goes to sleep but wakes up with no video.

2) It will only boot using the nullcpumanagement kext, if I remove it I get a kernel panic (see pic). Do I need to create an SSDT ??

Can anybody help with this ? I been trying for 3 days to sort these problems with no luck.

Thank you

post-1123645-0-48550200-1499424510_thumb.jpg

Hi All

I've now managed to get Sierra 10.12.5 installed (Optiplex 790 i3-2120 HD5450) using the legacy method and the 790 DSDT & config files. Its working well but I do have two problems:-

1) It goes to sleep but wakes up with no video.

2) It will only boot using the nullcpumanagement kext, if I remove it I get a kernel panic (see pic). Do I need to create an SSDT ??

Can anybody help with this ? I been trying for 3 days to sort these problems with no luck.

Thank you

Remove NULCPU

config.plist / Under 

<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
<dict>
<key>AsusAICPUPM</key>
<true/>

• Like 1

Guys, my 780 MT doesn't seem to be stable. Before I updated from 10.12.3 to 10.12.5, everything was stable. Now I get random kp upon boot. It's a hit or miss with it idk why. I've already tried other versions of fakesmc.kexts and that doesn't seem to fix my issue. I really don't wanna have to do a fresh install again because I have everything working with iMessage and FaceTime. Here's a screen of the kp

post-1199206-0-90186600-1499470627_thumb.jpg

Obviously, you didn't follow the guide to the letter…

Your config.plist i wrong. Use files from DSDT_and_config_for_Optiplex990.zip (DSDT.aml goes to CLOVER/ACPI/patched) and put kexts from 10.12.zip in CLOVER/Other.

polyzargone,

I used the DSDT and kext you linked to before and it still panics.  DSDT for Optiplex 990 is compatible with my 780 ?

post-1202131-0-73093600-1499544141_thumb.jpg

Guest ricoc90

polyzargone,

I used the DSDT and kext you linked to before and it still panics. DSDT for Optiplex 990 is compatible with my 780 ?

No, the DSDT for the 990 is not compatible with the 780. You'll need to use the one for 780, which you can find in #1

Guys, my 780 MT doesn't seem to be stable. Before I updated from 10.12.3 to 10.12.5, everything was stable. Now I get random kp upon boot. It's a hit or miss with it idk why. I've already tried other versions of fakesmc.kexts and that doesn't seem to fix my issue. I really don't wanna have to do a fresh install again because I have everything working with iMessage and FaceTime. Here's a screen of the kp

I did a fresh install with El Capitan this time around and the issue still lingers.. Anyone has any issues as to why that is?  It seems as though 90% of the time if I boot in verbose mode, I don't get the kp.

Correct.

I assumed he was using the 990 as stated in his sig : Optiplex 990, ATI HD5450

Sorry about that,  I have updated the signature.  I did try DSDT from the first page, unfortunately the same kernel panic.  Anyone can share a DSDT that works for you on a 780 and you are not using an ATI card.

Thank you

Guest ricoc90

Sorry about that,  I have updated the signature.  I did try DSDT from the first page, unfortunately the same kernel panic.  Anyone can share a DSDT that works for you on a 780 and you are not using an ATI card.

Thank you

Late reply, excuse-moi.

I had the same issue on my Optiplex 755, so I downloaded the P State Changer app, added the correct information to the CPU scope in the DSDT and that fixed it for me.

Alternatively, you can use NullCPUPM.kext, linked at the bottom of this post: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312656-guide-macos-sierra-1012-dell-optiplex-780-760-755-790-990/?p=2444813

--

Does somebody know any good Low-Profile mini pci-e to pci-e adapter that is compatible with broadcom cards (Airport, Handoff+continuity)?

I'm only able to find full-sized ones and obviously they don't fit in my SFF  :lol:

--

No problems on my side with Sierra 10.12.6 Final  ^_^

Image%202017-07-19%20at%207.57.39%20PM.p

unfortunately using NullCPU did not help, or rather the system will boot but it will not come out of sleep.  Drives spin up but monitors will stay power off.

Can you please share your kext folder/ config.plist and your DSDT (i know it's been tweaked for 755).

Thank you

Hi, 

got a little problem here with Dell 760 SFF. Sleep works fine except lan card. It doesn't work, means it is seen on system, but can't get ip adress from dhcp, manual also doesn't work. Wifi works fine. Initially I used intel82566m.kext, but I switched to appleintele1000 because of freezing with large transfer. It works fine until sleep. Any solution guys?

PS I got back to 82566 and it awakens but freezes during high speed transfer. So I guess It is driver problem not bios or hardware.