[Guide] macOS Sierra 10.12 - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) (755) (790) (990)

MacPeet

1,596 posts in this topic

Which SMBios are you using? The GT 710 doesn't work with certain SMBios (iMac10,1 for example).

I'm using SMBios10,1 with the board-id from iMac14,1 to get my GT 710 working.

In case other SMBioses don't work: in a couple of days i'll get my Optiplex with the same CPU, I can look into it then.

I have been using 10.1 so that sounds like it will part or all of my issue. I will try 14.1 as per your suggestion and let you know how I get on.

Hey guys, I'm back. With more problems!  :D

So, I tried using that nvidia updater app, and set nvda_drv=1. It does boot, but the background is black, there is some weird pixelation, and pictures and GUI's don't show up correctly, In the updater I used v378.05.05.15f01 and build 16F73 so I am very confused, am I even supposed to be using web drivers? It looks like they are only for higher end graphics cards. or is it simply that I can't use a VGA monitor with it?

(SMBios iMac 14,2)

Also, without the drivers, the screen flashes with white bars.

And I did remove the Power management kext and it works fine.

Guest ricoc90

Hey guys, I'm back. With more problems!  :D

So, I tried using that nvidia updater app, and set nvda_drv=1. It does boot, but the background is black, there is some weird pixelation, and pictures and GUI's don't show up correctly, In the updater I used v378.05.05.15f01 and build 16F73 so I am very confused, am I even supposed to be using web drivers? It looks like they are only for higher end graphics cards. or is it simply that I can't use a VGA monitor with it?

(SMBios iMac 14,2)

Also, without the drivers, the screen flashes with white bars.

And I did remove the Power management kext and it works fine.

The webdrivers are an alternative for the default macOS drivers, they'll work for the GT 730 too (I'm using the webdrivers for my GT 710 without any problems)

As for the actual problems: Lots of people are reporting problems with the card. For some it works OOB, for some it doesn't work at all... I'm not sure why, sorry... Since the 10.12.5 update a lot of Kepler card users are reporting issues

I got an i5 990, and am trying to install Sierra for first time.  I got it where I can install it, but not sure how to proceed.  

Ideally I would like to use my 610, which I am told now works with WebDrivers.  My questions are 1) The DSDT listed in post #1 is patched for 5450, so what do I need to do in order to use 610?  2) 2nd question is more general, but what are steps I should do to use WebDriver?  I see there is an option in clover, but do I need to install something first?  Note that without webdriver, the 610 works, but I do not have a cursor, which makes doing anything pretty much impossible.

Thanks.

Guest ricoc90

I got an i5 990, and am trying to install Sierra for first time.  I got it where I can install it, but not sure how to proceed.  

Ideally I would like to use my 610, which I am told now works with WebDrivers.  My questions are 1) The DSDT listed in post #1 is patched for 5450, so what do I need to do in order to use 610?  2) 2nd question is more general, but what are steps I should do to use WebDriver?  I see there is an option in clover, but do I need to install something first?  Note that without webdriver, the 610 works, but I do not have a cursor, which makes doing anything pretty much impossible.

Thanks.

Use the DSDT from polyzargone from here. It's the same DSDT, but with the HD5450 patch removed.

After the installation of macOS, you need to download the webdrivers corresponding to your buildnumber.

You can find the complete list of Sierra's webdrivers here and after installation, select the Webdrivers option in Clover  :)

Use the DSDT from polyzargone from here. It's the same DSDT, but with the HD5450 patch removed.

After the installation of macOS, you need to download the webdrivers corresponding to your buildnumber.

You can find the complete list of Sierra's webdrivers here and after installation, select the Webdrivers option in Clover  :)

Try this :

So using my GT610 I have seirra installed, I have loaded everything up I think including the files in the polyzargone zip and the clover setup as in #1 onto the SSD, but it doesn't boot.  I get a bunch of sound assertions, and 5 minutes later just a black screen.  I get black screen whether or not I add NvidiaWeb flag to config.plist.   Any ideas?  Note I can still boot with my install USB made with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

post-121653-0-92507400-1497915554_thumb.jpg

Guest ricoc90

So using my GT610 I have seirra installed, I have loaded everything up I think including the files in the polyzargone zip and the clover setup as in #1 onto the SSD, but it doesn't boot.  I get a bunch of sound assertions, and 5 minutes later just a black screen.  I get black screen whether or not I add NvidiaWeb flag to config.plist.   Any ideas?  Note I can still boot with my install USB made with #####.

First: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/

It's a problem with your graphics card. Support for the GT-610 is a hit and run on Sierra, for some it works and for some it doesn't.

According to #1,  MacPeet couldn't get his GT-610 to work on Sierra either. The reason why you are able to boot your USB is because the installer doesn't use the graphic drivers in that stage

So using my GT610 I have seirra installed, I have loaded everything up I think including the files in the polyzargone zip and the clover setup as in #1 onto the SSD, but it doesn't boot.  I get a bunch of sound assertions, and 5 minutes later just a black screen.  I get black screen whether or not I add NvidiaWeb flag to config.plist.   Any ideas?  Note I can still boot with my install USB made with #####.

Read this : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/322904-finally-the-geforce-gt-610-works/?do=findComment&comment=2406053

Hope this help.

I have successfully installed Sierra on my Optiplex 790 with i5-2400 and gt710 but I am not able to get audio working with AppleALC. It always works but when I reboot it is not working anymore. It would be really nice if someone could help me with this  :D

Guest ricoc90

Ok I will give up on 610, and ordered a 5450 from amazon. 

Can you try if you can boot with nv_disable=1? (which disables the graphics drivers)

Ok I will give up on 610, and ordered a 5450 from amazon.

The gt 610 works with attached kext but you have to upgrade to sierra 10.12.5, updated clover with nvidia inject enabled, smbios imac 14.2

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/322902-finalmente-la-geforce-gt-610-funziona-con-sierra/page-2?do=findComment&comment=2428041

It also works with High Sierra

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/324440-geforce-gt610/?do=findComment&comment=2443622

@jonas21

More info please!
Optiplex790 works with AppleALC + Lilu with LayoutID 15 (0F).
Do you work with DSDT and Inject the LayoutID in the DSDT or with Clover-Inject?
You can also post the DSDT and config here.

@Info for all
With my spare graphics card GT210 HighSierra works with QE/CI with my Optiplex780.

post-1358580-0-04801400-1498033588_thumb.png

Edit:
Update on HS beta 2 also no problem with the GT210.

Guest ricoc90

@jonas21

More info please!
Optiplex790 works with AppleALC + Lilu with LayoutID 15 (0F).
Do you work with DSDT and Inject the LayoutID in the DSDT or with Clover-Inject?
You can also post the DSDT and config here.

@Info for all
With my spare graphics card GT210 HighSierra works with QE/CI with my Optiplex780.

Nice. Does it run smooth? On my Optiplex High Sierra (either HFS+j as well APFS) runs very slow as if I don't have graphics acceleration (which I do)

@MacPeet

Here are my config and DSDT. When I try to upload it here, it says that I am not permitted to upload this kind of file. I used Clover to inject the LayoutID. I added the boot flag rootless=0 and now Audio works sometimes but when I reboot again it stops working.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw_xo7bZoqVdX1VyOGQ0Qm9hRU0

P.S. Grüße aus Deutschland  :thumbsup_anim:

@MacPeet

Here are my config and DSDT. When I try to upload it here, it says that I am not permitted to upload this kind of file. I used Clover to inject the LayoutID. I added the boot flag rootless=0 and now Audio works sometimes but when I reboot again it stops working.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw_xo7bZoqVdX1VyOGQ0Qm9hRU0

P.S. Grüße aus Deutschland  :thumbsup_anim:

Hello,

Your DSDT is fine but are you using it as DSDT3.aml?

It must be named DSDT.aml for Clover to load it otherwise it will be ignored. Also, you don't need rootless=0 in boot-args. This bootflag has never been used, it was just for the very early betas of El Capitan and has been replaced by the System Integrity Protection (aka SIP) which you can disable with CsrActiveConfig=0x67 in RtVariables ;).

And last thing, it's pointless to define the device layout-id in Clover if you have a DSDT that already inject the correct value (which is the case in DSDT.aml) :

Device (HDEF)
            {
                Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)  // _ADR: Address
                OperationRegion (HDAR, PCI_Config, 0x4C, 0x10)
                Field (HDAR, WordAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
                {
                    DCKA,   1,
                    Offset (0x01),
                    DCKM,   1,
                        ,   6,
                    DCKS,   1,
                    Offset (0x08),
                        ,   15,
                    PMES,   1
                }

Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)  // _PRW: Power Resources for Wake
                {
                    Return (GPRW (0x0D, 0x04))
                }

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)  // _DSM: Device-Specific Method
                {
                    If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))
                    {
                        Return (Buffer (One)
                        {
                             0x03                                           
                        })
                    }

Return (Package (0x06)
                    {
                        "layout-id",
                        Buffer (0x04)
                        {
                             0x0F, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00                         
                        },

"PinConfigurations",
                        Buffer (Zero) {},
                        "hda-gfx",
                        Buffer (0x0A)
                        {
                            "onboard-1"
                        }
                    })
                }
            }

0x0F, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 is the same as 15

@ ricoc90

The GT210 works very well. No problem.
So far only HFS tried. No trials with APFS here.

@ jonas21

Du musst die Dateien als Zip-File packen, dann darfst Du auch hochladen.

try this: Archiv.zip

Die DSDT.aml kommt nach EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched/
Die config.plist sollte klar sein.

Erst einmal Grüße zurück und Du kannst Dich auch bei uns im deutschen Forum blicken lassen, auf root86.

So wie Du es gemacht hast geht es nicht. Die DSDT darf nicht DSDT-3.aml heißen, wenn in der config der Name auf DSDT.aml steht.
Der Audio-Inject ist in der DSDT bereits drin. Habe ihn im Clover wieder rausgenommen. Wenn im Clover, dann hätte zusätzlich der Haken bei FixHDA gesetzt werden müssen.
  • Like 1

Guest ricoc90

@ ricoc90

The GT210 works very well. No problem.
So far only HFS tried. No trials with APFS here.

Yeah, I'm suspecting that my GT710 is the culprit here... 

My Optiplex 790 just arrived so I'll put the GT710 in there and install High Sierra on it to see  how it runs

Otherwise GT210 it is, thanks  :D 

yVZjOmG.jpg

Guest ricoc90

Little update:
While the GT-710 does work on my Optiplex 755 under High Sierra, it does not work on my Optiplex 790 under High Sierra.
The nvidia drivers are not being loaded. I'm installing Sierra now to see if the card works there.

Nevermind. I looked into the DSDT and saw an empty GFX0 block so assumed there was no HD5450 patch and installed the OS. But actually there was...  :hysterical: 
Removed it, works fine now

Update:

Strange thing. I installed High Sierra fresh on my Optiplex 790, and it was really slow just as how it was on my Optiplex 755.

Now I put the SSD's from my Optiplex 755 into my Optiplex 790. I didn't reinstall macOS, i only replaced the Optiplex 755 applealc as well as the Optiplex 755 DSDT with the ones from 790, booted High Sierra and it's amazingly smooth  :huh: 

Ok I installed the Visiontek 5450 1gb, on 10.12.5 used the DSDT and config.plist from #1, installed clover as instructed.  I then had to add NullCPU to get past kernel panic, it boots and after 2mins of sound assersions just get a black screen.  At one point I hit a key and got a cursor but that was it and no login, and then it went away.  Below is the GPU info from Linux.   What to do?  Also my BIOS is A13, maybe I should update it?

Adapter  0    (BN=01, DN=00, PCIID=68F91002, SSID=54501545)
    Asic Family        :  Cedar
    Flash Type         :  M25P10/c    (128 KB)
    Product Name       :  CEARD DDR3 128X16 1G A5C11LAA.CGK 2013
    Bios Config File   :  A5C11LAA.CGK
    Bios P/N           :  113-C02601-001
    Bios Version       :  012.020.000.064.000000
    Bios Date          :  12/11/13 04:24
    ROM Image Type     :  Hybrid Images
    ROM Image Details  :
        Image[0]: Size(59904 Bytes), Type(Legacy Image)
        Image[1]: Size(57856 Bytes), Type(EFI Image)