[Guide] macOS Sierra 10.12 - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) (755) (790) (990)

MacPeet

1,596 posts in this topic

Guest ricoc90

Are you sure the brand of the card as not in Impact ?

I try New Visiontek Radeon HD 6450  Blackscreen  :blush:

The card have EFI bios, I see in windows - GPUZ 

Are you injecting the card? The frame buffers don't work without patching -> black screen

Its not the final reuirements - Just a finger pointing in the direction at the moment. Maybe the final version is different.

True, but I don't think Apple will take a different direction... Would make a lot of people pretty mad  :D

Are you injecting the card? The frame buffers don't work without patching -> black screen

True, but I don't think Apple will take a different direction... Would make a lot of people pretty mad  :D

No :(  what is the patch ?

Can you send me your bios dump? And device id  :D

Ok I send you tonight cause I disconnect the card  :P

I send you Private message

Device ID is difficult the card not boot in OS X ?

Do you have a way to see the Device in windows ?

High Sierra supports the iMac 2009, Macbook 2009, Mac mini 2010 etc. All running on pretty old C2Ds.

+1

Its not the final reuirements - Just a finger pointing in the direction at the moment. Maybe the final version is different.

Let's make it clear once for all :

Every CPUs that's supported in Sierra are supported in High Sierra. That's include a lot of C2Duo models as ricoc90 said and there's NO chance that Apple will change his mind on the matter in the next releases of HS DP's, GM and RC.

If they wanted to remove support of those CPUs, that will be already done and planned since the early beginning of HS development (we're talking about Alpha releases here !).

So no, this is not a problem with the CPU but most likely an issue with some old AMD/NVIDIA GPUs.

Guest ricoc90

Ok I send you tonight cause I disconnect the card  :P

I send you Private message

Device ID is difficult the card not boot in OS X ?

Do you have a way to see the Device in windows ?

I believe GPU-Z shows you the device id, not sure though

No :(  what is the patch ?

After Sierra 12.4 update my 5450 stopped getting native support. 0x69191002 ID I had to add it to the AMD5000controllerkext and also checked the AMd3000kext. It's in Cypress family in 5000controller.

Go to Systems/Library/Extensions and scroll to 5000controllerkext, right click and "show package contents" drag info.plist to desktop and open using TextEdit or Xcode. Open the IOKItPersonalities and find the Cypress tab, open it and add your card ID 0x6???1002 hit save then drag it back to folder and get "authenticate and replace" prompts. Run Kext wizzard and then reboot. Also, at this time check to see if your I'd is in the AMD3000kext, you may have to add it there as well.

Apple has been moving a lot of things around in the graphics kext area, older cards that were foolproof are now getting issues. I did this for my 5450 but it just didn't seem to have the performance it once had before they moved support around.

After Sierra 12.4 update my 5450 stopped getting native support. 0x69191002 ID I had to add it to the AMD5000controllerkext and also checked the AMd3000kext. It's in Cypress family in 5000controller.

Go to Systems/Library/Extensions and scroll to 5000controllerkext, right click and "show package contents" drag info.plist to desktop and open using TextEdit or Xcode. Open the IOKItPersonalities and find the Cypress tab, open it and add your card ID 0x6???1002 hit save then drag it back to folder and get "authenticate and replace" prompts. Run Kext wizzard and then reboot. Also, at this time check to see if your I'd is in the AMD3000kext, you may have to add it there as well.

Apple has been moving a lot of things around in the graphics kext area, older cards that were foolproof are now getting issues. I did this for my 5450 but it just didn't seem to have the performance it once had before they moved support around.

I have two Radeon HD 5450 working OOB with High Sierra B)

I have two Radeon HD 5450 working OOB with High Sierra B)

Well, actually it doesn't work OOB since you're faking it's ID for a native one. So unless your real dev/vend are 0x68E01002 (which is possible), most of the Radeon's HD 5450 aren't native in macOS/OS X.

OOB means you have nothing to do to make it work ;).

0x69191002 ID I had to add it to the AMD5000controllerkext and also checked the AMd3000kext. It's in Cypress family in 5000controller.

These are uncommon dev/vend IDs for a 5450 and it also uses a non usual family.

Every 5450 I had/have/heard about usually have something like 0x68xx1002 and use Cedar family :unsure:

Well, actually it doesn't work OOB since you're faking it's ID for a native one. So unless your real dev/vend are 0x68E01002 (which is possible), most of the Radeon's HD 5450 aren't native in macOS/OS X.

Please dont play in the WORD  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

@Chris1111

Sorry, no offense but I disagree because words does matter when it comes to something that's supposed to work Out Of the Box. It's not about playing words, it's about not misleading people who might think that they just have to buy something and that's OK, just plug and play.

Well no, that's not OK and I think it's important to to be accurate.

Hey guys,

Still trying to get my Optiplex 990 MT working. Im not really sure what to do at this point, the install bar gets all the way to the end and then it just reboots but when i try to boot from the HD, it doesn't work.

Bootflags: nv_disable=1 -v

not really sure what this means, and I'm not sure what boot flags I should be using, I would appreciate any advice, thanks!

http://imgur.com/a/XwvFW (this shows for about a half second before it reboots)

Edit: I am pretty sure I am using the wrong DSDT and config.plist, but I couldn't find one for a 990 that wasn't patched for the HD5450.

Hey guys,

Still trying to get my Optiplex 990 MT working. Im not really sure what to do at this point, the install bar gets all the way to the end and then it just reboots but when i try to boot from the HD, it doesn't work.

not really sure what this means, and I'm not sure what boot flags I should be using, I would appreciate any advice, thanks!

Edit: I am pretty sure I am using the wrong DSDT and config.plist, but I couldn't find one for a 990 that wasn't patched for the HD5450.

Did u used the USB Boot drive to reboot on the HD ?

Guest ricoc90

Hey guys,

The picture looks normal to me... After the installation finished the reboot command is given and the system is preparing itself for the actual reboot. Like Chris1111 asked: are you using your Usb installer to boot your harddisk? You can't boot from your harddisk itself yet, because there's no bootloader installed on it so you need to use your Usb installer to boot to your harddisk

No chance, no way for me !!!!  :hysterical:

I love the old devices.  :wub:

I don't have my 780's anymore. I have the 790 i-7 core, and the 990 i-5 core.

I might get another 780 to play with, but I like the CPU's having a little more power, and the prices of the 790/990's are about

the same as the 760/780's were back when I started with them. 

• Like 1

Could anyone shed some light on why my 790 sff is frozen. I did a fresh install last night which took me a while to figure out why I kept getting kp. I then realized I had to use nullcpupowermamagement kext. To continue, after installing 10.12.3 I downloaded the updates for 10.12.5 and left the pc on and went to work, came back an hour ago to see that the pc froze but I could still see the cursor but weren't able to click anything. Also, it seems to be taking a very long time to get some display upon booting and such. I'm using the nvidia 310 for graphics. How do I troubleshoot to see what could've caused the hiccup on the freezing issue? Last but not least, the pc doesn't seem to be booting off the hard drive on its own. I have to press f12 to choose the hard drive, then clover pops up. If I don't I get the No bootable devices--strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility Press F5 to run onboard diagnosis.

The picture looks normal to me... After the installation finished the reboot command is given and the system is preparing itself for the actual reboot. Like Chris1111 asked: are you using your Usb installer to boot your harddisk? You can't boot from your harddisk itself yet, because there's no bootloader installed on it so you need to use your Usb installer to boot to your harddisk

Didn't realize I had to do that, so i tried doing that and immediately ran into a problem. 

When I boot into the usb, clover comes up, but I don't see the option to boot the HD. There should be an internal HD option right? I am assuming I configured something wrong, but the HD is in AHCI, and I formatted and erased it before installing sierra. What could be causing it to not show up? again, thanks for any advice you can offer!  :D

http://imgur.com/a/Z2Yea

when I pick the external option, it just gives me the option to install sierra again.

usb name: Install MacOS Sierra

HD name: Macintosh HD

Guest ricoc90

Didn't realize I had to do that, so i tried doing that and immediately ran into a problem. 

When I boot into the usb, clover comes up, but I don't see the option to boot the HD. There should be an internal HD option right? I am assuming I configured something wrong, but the HD is in AHCI, and I formatted and erased it before installing sierra. What could be causing it to not show up? again, thanks for any advice you can offer!  :D

http://imgur.com/a/Z2Yea

when I pick the external option, it just gives me the option to install sierra again.

usb name: Install MacOS Sierra

HD name: Macintosh HD

With "the install bar goes all the way to the end" you mean the actual installation finishes, or just the installer loader? The installer should count down the minutes to finishing the installation, also it should count down before it reboots. If you only see the Apple logo and a loading bar, then that's not the actual installation

With "the install bar goes all the way to the end" you mean the actual installation finishes, or just the installer loader? The installer should count down the minutes to finishing the installation, also it should count down before it reboots. If you only see the Apple logo and a loading bar, then that's not the actual installation

Yes, the actual install finished, its the screen that starts at 7 mins left and counts down.

once it finishes it immediately reboots though.