Clover: iMessage/Facetime Fix for Yosemite

leodaniel

252 posts in this topic

@gekho21,

If you can't find a copy of Lion, I have another suggestion:

1.  Boot your Mac in single user verbose mode (Command-S) with a Mavericks or Yosemite Installer USB created with "createinstallmedia" method

2.  After the white text has finished scrolling type the following lines (pressing <Enter> after each)

/sbin/fsck -fy
/sbin/mount -uw /
nvram 4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14:MLB
nvram 4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14:ROM

3.  Record the output.  Hopefully, you get a 13 digit MLB corresponding to MBP2,2 :).

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The last resort would be to find the Main Logic Board Serial Number by direct inspection.  This would involve opening up your Mac as described in this iFixit guide:  note the MLB is printed on the board near the RAM slots (see the photo on Step7)

@fusion71au

Thank you for the guide for Snow Leopard and Lion OS Macs. I had the same issue @gekho21 had, an MLB showing up as a "Serial Number: 1" on my old 2006 Mac Mini (Macmini1,1), that is being retired. Didn't have much luck with the Yosemite Installer USB because I couldn't get it to boot (constant "?" folder issue). Busted the thing open and found the 13 digit MLB that way. Started the whole Serial, MLB, ROM, SmUUID process over with new numbers and now my legit ROM and MLB numbers. First go, still getting the "Call Apple Number" message for now. I'll give it a few days to see if anything "clears up".

Small background....running 10.10, had iMessage and FaceTime running just fine in the Fall using made up values (had to call them to "whitelist" me and all was good) until Apple made their change in the past couple months. Been following some discussions on the topic since then and yours is the first I saw giving me a way to get some values off an old Mac Mini running SL.

Now, I'm not saying that iMessage and such will magically start working, but who knows. I'm now using legit values from a real Mac that will never see the internet again, so here's to hoping :)

EDIT: Really need to update my sig here.....what you see down there has not been my main rig for awhile, please ignore it :)

Edited by icedtrip

Hi,

I have an old G4 (PPC) running Tiger , and I would like to find the ROM code to use it on my hackintosh. I found the MLB on a sticker on the motherboard but I can't find a way to get the ROM ( no version of darwindumper for PPC, nvram does not list MLB and ROM, ...).

Is there a way to get ROM on a PPC ?

thanks

My Hack's being nasty... I changed my boot loader tonight from Chameleon to Clover and started up. 

When I run the iMessageDebug2 check I see:

System-ID: 534D4349-0002-0226-0000-02860000D310
                ROM: c3f7b5scc120
  BoardSerialNumber: (null)

But I have an MLB value set based on Serial Number + 6 digits in my config.plist. How come I don't get the BoardSerial Number ?

My Hack's being nasty... I changed my boot loader tonight from Chameleon to Clover and started up. 

When I run the iMessageDebug2 check I see:

System-ID: 534D4349-0002-0226-0000-02860000D310
                ROM: c3f7b5scc120
  BoardSerialNumber: (null)

But I have an MLB value set based on Serial Number + 6 digits in my config.plist. How come I don't get the BoardSerial Number ?

SN + 6 digits would give you a 18 digits MLB which isn't right, its should be either 13 or 17 digits

• 2 weeks later...

How to Extract MLB/ROM from older Macs running OSX Lion or Snow Leopard

A few of you may have older Macs running Snow Leopard or Lion that have been "retired" from service.  

These make good candidates for borrowing their MLB and ROM for the purpose of activating iMessage on your own hacks.

Notes

• iMessage was introduced in "beta" phase on OSX Lion and only officially supported from Mountain Lion onwards
  • Older Macs had shorter MLBs eg MBP 6,2 has 13 character MLB (still 12 character ROM)
  • Macs as old as a 2006 MBP 2,2 have been used for MLB/ROM to validate iMessage
  • ElNono_'s iMessage_debug tool only works on systems running Mountain Lion or later so how to extract MLB/ROM without upgrading to ML or later?

On Lion, MLB and ROM were introduced as NVRAM variables so can be extracted from your real Mac's NVRAM using Darwin Dumper by @BlackOSX:

Run Darwin Dumper and tick the following dumps - DMI Tables (SMBIOS), I/O Kit Registry, NVRAMMake sure that "Make Dumps Private" is unticked.

attachicon.gifDarwin Dumper 2.9.6.png

The following are EXAMPLES only from my hack using GENERATED serials but give you an idea on what to look for on a real Mac....

under the section NVRAM/uefi_firmware_vars/4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14:ROM &

4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14:MLB

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14:ROM
000000: 34 4f c0 d5 6c 38                                |..&T.n|

4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14:MLB
000000: 43 4b 39 34 38 34 32 37 31 47 30 31 32   |CK9484271G012|

On Snow Leopard, MLB and ROM don't exist in NVRAM so the values must be extracted from the DMI Tables and I/O Kit Registry...

MLB=Main Logic Board Serial Number found in the section DMI Tables/DMI type 2: Base Board/Serial Number

Handle 0x0200, DMI type 2, 16 bytes
0000: 02 10 00 02 01 02 03 04 05 09 06 00 03 0a 00 00
0010:

Base Board Information
    Manufacturer: Apple Computer, Inc.
    Product Name: Mac-F42D86C8
    Version: MacBookPro5,1
    Serial Number: CK9484271G012
    Asset Tag:           
    Features:
        Board is a hosting board
        Board is replaceable
    Location In Chassis: Part Component
    Chassis Handle: 0x0300
    Type: Motherboard
    Contained Object Handles: 0

In the section IORegistry/IOService:

ROM=Firewire IOMACAddress (format xxxxxxyyyyxxxxxx) 8 bytes with the middle 2 bytes removed to leave 6 byte/12 character serial: xxxxxxxxxxxx

eg search for "Firewire"

attachicon.giffw_IOMACAddress.png

fw IOMACAddress = 344fc00035d56c38

ROM = 344fc0d56c38

or on other Macs, ROM is sometimes reported as the Ethernet IOMACAddress so in this case, search for "Ethernet".

You can also determine the MAC addresses of all your Mac's network interfaces by running the following command in OSX terminal:

networksetup -listallhardwareports

Alternative if DDumper doesn't work:  procedure from post#171:

1.  Boot your Mac in single user verbose mode (Command-S) with a Mavericks or Yosemite Installer USB created with "createinstallmedia" method

2.  After the white text has finished scrolling type the following lines (pressing <Enter> after each)

/sbin/fsck -fy
/sbin/mount -uw /
nvram 4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14:MLB
nvram 4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14:ROM 

3.  Record the output.  Note the ROM value shown with the NVRAM command can be a mix of HEX and ASCII:

'%xx' values are HEX-Values, the other characters have to be converted from ASCII to HEX to get the right ROM value.

I have a mini mac g4 ... running OS X 10.4 any ideas or tools to extract the MLB & ROM? 

^^@macahaca,

Unfortunately I don't think it'll work, even if you manage to locate the g4's MLB on the logic board, since iMessage was never designed to run on a g4 mac mini...you need at least an Intel Mac capable of running Lion to use as a "donor".

Your best bet is to generate a valid 13 character MLB/12 character ROM and calling Apple to whitelist the values - procedure in post#227

Good luck!

Hi Guys

I have just brought a USED iMac that wasn't working it, fixed it and clone the values. I now don't need the iMac so I have offered it to my cousin as she needs a computer and I don't want to store another PC. I understand that if she uses iMessage or FaceTime we will both get black listed (hence why I can't sell it :( ) But I just want to double check before I hand it over that it is all OK for her to use the App Store with her Apple ID or can she also use iMessage and FaceTime with her Apple ID as I have only taken the ROM and MLB and not UUID, S/N ect. I have been hearing mixed opinions / feedback on this.

Hi guys, there is a way to obtain the mlb/rom value ecc from an iMac broken, electrocuted? 

it's hard to disassemble it... maybe if the hard disk it's still working I can put on my PC and search some file that contain this code? it's possible? any idea?

i have only the serial :( and i think that with only the serial of this iMac i can't do nothing on my pc hackintosh no?

Hello and thank you for the guide,

I have a 2007 MacBook A1811. I can't get any values from Darwin Dumper. MLB came back as 1? so I opened the laptop to get the value from the logic board. I have the ethernet mac from back of the battery tray. Do I need to change the ethernet number to get the ROM or use this number in RT Variables Section?

Please help as i am new the game

I was able to log in again! yay! but I also just installed a new wifi/bt card (BCM94360CD) - so I don't know why it works again but for now, iMessage works again for me with my old MLB etc from the end of November :)

madman, where did you get your information? Do you have more details?

I guess this is related to the "two factor authentication for iMessage / FaceTime", which was introduced two days ago.

I was wondering if this was going to make things easier or harder for us — the device methods have been problematic for a lot of people not just users of Hacs. I was curious why they didn't just rely on MFA in the first place.

For the S / N (SMBIOS) I used clover configurator, but chameleon wizard also does very well.
For the ROM I use mac address of my Gigabyte and for MLB, the script MLBGenV3.
Then I use the two-step activation of Appel and that I have not had any client code but iMessage and FaceTime activated

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, @Leodaniel

I have tested and I found that if the MLB in Smbios section is different from that in the RT Variables Section the Hack cannot boot. I use Clover v3185. Please confirm this issue on your hack.

Hi, @Leodaniel

I have tested and I found that if the MLB in Smbios section is different from that in the RT Variables Section the Hack cannot boot. I use Clover v3185. Please confirm this issue on your hack.

Hi, @Leodaniel

For the S / N (SMBIOS) I used clover configurator, but chameleon wizard also does very well.

For the ROM I use mac address of my Gigabyte and for MLB, the script MLBGenV3.

Then I use the two-step activation of Appel and that I have not had any client code but iMessage and FaceTime activated

Hi, FrenchKickx

Are you sure about this? I generated my ROM and MLB (generated by MLBGen17V3) using the same way as you but I received a customer code. And just now I enabled my 2-step authentication but issue remains.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

I am able to successfully login to iMessage and it let me select all my iMessage contact methods.  However, when I try to send a message to anyone registered on iMessage it says that person is not registered on iMessage and the message will not send.  I've been searching the Internet and looking through all the guides.  I am using the latest version of Clover on Yosemite.  I just installed it a few days ago so I have never had iMessage working on it.  Any ideas on what I might've missed?  I thought my account might be blocked but if so then why would it appear to authenticate me and sign me in?