Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, MacKonsti said:

Hi @naiclub and @Matgen84 apologies, forgot to mention that @Jief_Machak's Validator tool of course passes the config without errors, the issue is the actual settings/Quirks that replaced AptioMemoryFix...

I will follow your guide @Matgen84 but I did try a few values for the specific platform. I am trying to simulate what AptioMemoryFix.efi did before Quirks.

Again, the boot doesn't even start -- we're not talking about KP in the middle of booting... the booster doesn't start. I will report back. Thanks.

UPDATE:

@Matgen84 I did follow that guide. I am knowledgeable with Clover (pre-Quirks) though; the guide says for platform Quirks to "Head over to the OpenCore Install Guide and pick the guide for your CPU Family and Platform." which I did. Also later it says "If you get Kernel Panics: head over to the OpenCore Troubleshooting Guide and have a look at the "OpenCore Boot issues" and "Kernelspace Issues" sections" which I did too but this is not working.... that is why I post here. I cannot go past the mach_boot stage. Any other ideas? Seems the Coffee Lake platform Quirks don't work on this @##$^ laptop.

Hi @MacKonsti

Openruntime.efi is absolute required (remove all memory fix driver) :)
I check your config.plist: I've got a Coffeelake-R so the quirks for OpenRuntime are the same. Except my mobo is CFG unlock:

Try to put AppleIntelCPUPM to true (instead of false), necessary for Unlock BIOS. EDIT: I mistaken because I have two hacks: an IvyBridge and an CofeeLake-R config :cry:

Can you boot in verbose mode and post a screenshot; and a debug.log some users can help you.

Edited by Matgen84
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, naiclub said:

Thank you friends, but I want to fix it to keep it clean. No warning to the eyes What should I do?

You should read

to you to fix your warnings, then edit your config.plist accordingly.

for example:

Kernel Quirks other.png

Some of your warnings are self explanatory,some quirks are misplaced if you look at the image simply correct them with an editor.

Anyway they are ignored now so, if your system boots most of them are unuseful.

Edited by Xanny
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kushwavez said:

@MacKonsti Use OpenRuntime.efi instead of AptioMemory, use Quirks from config-sample.plist, do not modify it. 

Mate, I owe you a beer. Even if this seems trivial as advice (i.e. redo it from scratch LOL) setting the values to the sample config Quirks BOOTED finally. And without hiccups! THANK YOU.

@Matgen84 Thank you for the advice; I do have a r5133 booting solution already on my NUC8 so the EFI drivers is not an issue, everything is as expected. It is a matter to follow (or not, as you see) the platform advice from Dortania or other guide for Quirks... With the default config.sample values that @kushwavez advised, some are indeed opposite to what Dortania suggests for Coffee/Whiskey Lake! I don't get it...

Moreover @Matgen84 are you sure AppleIntelCPUPM has to do with MSR CFG Lock? I remember it was KernelPm tag, no? @Slice? I boot fine with AppleIntelCPUPM=False and KernelPm=True (no unlock MSR in BIOS available for me).

@Slice please 2 things: are we supposed to have on the Clover boot UI the Quirk option to change PowerTimeoutKernelPanic ? I did not see it on r5133. Also, I did not see the option to change in the Quirk menu DisableIoMapper either, is it not useful to show these two? Just asking.

Also, please, any comment on these comparative settings? Left are Clover sample defaults (that boot) and right the Dortania guide for the Coffee/Whiskey Lake platform Quirks values.

MmioWhitelist:           empty/disabled array
AvoidRuntimeDefrag:      true
DevirtualiseMmio:        false
DisableSingleUser:       false
DisableVariableWrite:    false
DiscardHibernateMap:     false
EnableSafeModeSlide:     true
EnableWriteUnprotector:  true boots / false in Dortania Guide for Coffee platform
ForceExitBootServices:   false
ProtectMemoryRegions:    false
ProtectSecureBoot:       false
ProtectUefiServices:     false
ProvideCustomSlide:      false boots / true in Dortania Guide for Coffee platform
RebuildAppleMemoryMap:   false boots / true in Dortania Guide for Coffee platform
SetupVirtualMap:         true
SignalAppleOS:           false
SyncRuntimePermissions:  true
DummyPowerManagement:    false
AppleXcpmExtraMsrs:      false
AppleXcpmForceBoost:     false
DisableIoMapper:         true
DisableLinkeditJettison: true
ExternalDiskIcons:       false
IncreasePciBarSize:      false
PowerTimeoutKernelPanic: false boots / true in Dortania Guide for Coffee platform
ThirdPartyDrives:        false
XhciPortLimit:           false
FuzzyMatch:              true
KernelCache:             auto

Any Quirk values that I should change/test for safer booting that you advise? Thank you...

Edited by MacKonsti

@MacKonsti Great. 

I have the default Quirks settings as in sample-config.plist on 5 hacks I used, everything's working as expected.

The only thing I modified is XhciPortLimit=true for my USB ports, and DisableIoMapper=false along with deleting ACPI/DropTables=DMAR and BGRT as there's no need to Drop them, for a working Virtual Machine.

In my opinion if everything is fine then there's no need to worry about it. Clover is very good at fixing/applying things automatically, unlike OC where you need to configure every single thing manually.

Edited by kushwavez
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, MacKonsti said:

Mate, I owe you a beer. Even if this seems trivial as advice (i.e. redo it from scratch LOL) setting the values to the sample config Quirks BOOTED finally. And without hiccups! THANK YOU.

@Matgen84 Thank you for the advice; I do have a r5133 booting solution already on my NUC8 so the EFI drivers is not an issue, everything is as expected. It is a matter to follow (or not, as you see) the platform advice from Dortania or other guide for Quirks... With the default config.sample values that @kushwavez advised, some are indeed opposite to what Dortania suggests for Coffee/Whiskey Lake! I don't get it...

Moreover @Matgen84 are you sure AppleIntelCPUPM has to do with MSR CFG Lock? I remember it was KernelPm tag, no? @Slice? I boot fine with AppleIntelCPUPM=False and KernelPm=True (no unlock MSR in BIOS available for me).

@Slice please 2 things: are we supposed to have on the Clover boot UI the Quirk option to change PowerTimeoutKernelPanic ? I did not see it on r5133. Also, I did not see the option to change in the Quirk menu DevirtualiseMimo either, is it not useful to show these two? Just asking.

Also, please, any comment on these comparative settings? Left are Clover sample defaults (that boot) and right the Dortania guide for the Coffee/Whiskey Lake platform Quirks values.

MmioWhitelist:           empty/disabled array
AvoidRuntimeDefrag:      true
DevirtualiseMmio:        false
DisableSingleUser:       false
DisableVariableWrite:    false
DiscardHibernateMap:     false
EnableSafeModeSlide:     true
EnableWriteUnprotector:  true boots / false in Dortania Guide for Coffee platform
ForceExitBootServices:   false
ProtectMemoryRegions:    false
ProtectSecureBoot:       false
ProtectUefiServices:     false
ProvideCustomSlide:      false boots / true in Dortania Guide for Coffee platform
RebuildAppleMemoryMap:   false boots / true in Dortania Guide for Coffee platform
SetupVirtualMap:         true
SignalAppleOS:           false
SyncRuntimePermissions:  true
DummyPowerManagement:    false
AppleXcpmExtraMsrs:      false
AppleXcpmForceBoost:     false
DisableIoMapper:         true
DisableLinkeditJettison: true
ExternalDiskIcons:       false
IncreasePciBarSize:      false
PowerTimeoutKernelPanic: false boots / true in Dortania Guide for Coffee platform
ThirdPartyDrives:        false
XhciPortLimit:           false
FuzzyMatch:              true
KernelCache:             auto

Any Quirk values that I should change/test for safer booting that you advise? Thank you...

Moreover @Matgen84 are you sure AppleIntelCPUPM has to do with MSR CFG Lock? I remember it was KernelPm tag, no? @Slice?

Both deal with MSR CFG Lock, but AppleIntelCPUPM for CPU up to IvyBridge while KernelPM for Ivy in xcpm mode and all modern cpus.

@Slice please 2 things: are we supposed to have on the Clover boot UI the Quirk option to change PowerTimeoutKernelPanic ?

As far as I remember we have no such option. We have an option to not reboot on panic.

Clover sample defaults (that boot) and right the Dortania guide

Whatever Dortania may say.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, kushwavez said:

@MacKonsti Great. 

I have the default Quirks settings as in sample-config.plist on 5 hacks I used, everything's working as expected.

The only thing I modified is XhciPortLimit=true for my USB ports, and DisableIoMapper=false also with deleting ACPI/DropTables=DMAR and BGRT as there's no need to Drop them, for a working Virtual Machine.

In my opinion if everything is fine then there's no need to worry about it. Clover is very good at fixing/applying things automatically, unlike OC where you need to configure every single thing manually.

I have to note that XhciPortLimit has some troubles in system 11.3 and up.

DMAR is really no more need to be dropped since... Mojave? It is safe to drop it.

BGRT is useless table. No trouble no bounty.

4 hours ago, Jief_Machak said:

Could we just add -mc to te remaining compilation command ?

For my information : why the creation of the package worked when I commented out the compilation line with -mc

There are two different compilation with different results. But I am not ready to answer you. I shall explore the issue. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Slice said:

1. Both deal with MSR CFG Lock, but AppleIntelCPUPM for CPU up to IvyBridge while KernelPM for Ivy in xcpm mode and all modern cpus.

2. As far as I remember we have no such option. We have an option to not reboot on panic.

Спасибо @Slice but please note, PowerTimeoutKernelPanic does exist in the sample config and the validator also does not complain :)

Also DisableIoMapper is not present in the Quirks menu (boot GUI) that one is rather useful to also be able to change, no?

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Slice said:

Strange that I take a fresh copy from github on an empty place and the compilation was successful. How do you do to encounter such error?

Hi Slice,

With the /src folder removed, I just run the Clover command which downloads fresh from Github. I then choose option 7 and that happens.

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, chris1111 said:

Ok simple Utility to sanity check config.plist Clover Config Validator View Full Video 15 seconds :hysterical: :lol:

Credit Clover team and @Jief_Machak

lol i did the same as alternative but ofc, it uses the already installed ccpv in /usr/local/bin

Hi Slice,

With the /src folder removed, I just run the Clover command which downloads fresh from Github. I then choose option 7 and that happens.

my guess

it is just because of that

Edited by LAbyOne
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LAbyOne said:

my guess

it is just because of that

Not sure what you mean, sorry.

If I choose option 1 first (Build Clover) I can then choose option 7 (Build All) and it works, I used to be able to just pick option 7.

27 minutes ago, D-an-W said:

Not sure what you mean, sorry.

If I choose option 1 first (Build Clover) I can then choose option 7 (Build All) and it works, I used to be able to just pick option 7.

can you test this and tell me what gives?

buildme.7z

just to be sure do a chmod a-x to it before using.

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, LAbyOne said:

can you test this and tell me what gives?

buildme.7z 4.08 kB · 1 download

just to be sure do a chmod a-x to it before using.

This is what I get...

-----------------------------------------------------------
fatal: not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
              Clover r (SHA: not a git repo)
  TOOLCHAIN: GCC53 (override example: './buildme XCODE8')
 1) build Clover
 2) build Clover with HFSPlus
 3) make pkg
 4) make app
 5) make app (with Clover)
 6) make iso
 7) build all
 8) test build (no autogen, no boot files)
 9) status
10) update Clover
11) show diff
12) open CloverV2/EFI/CLOVER directory
13) update Clover (reset changes)
14) clean BaseTools
15) Utilities
16) quit

Please enter your choice: 

5 hours ago, MacKonsti said:

Спасибо @Slice but please note, PowerTimeoutKernelPanic does exist in the sample config and the validator also does not complain :)

Also DisableIoMapper is not present in the Quirks menu (boot GUI) that one is rather useful to also be able to change, no?

These quirks exists due to embedded OpenCore and I have no connection with them.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, D-an-W said:

This is what I get...

Clover r (SHA: not a git repo)
  TOOLCHAIN: GCC53 (override example: './buildme XCODE8')
 1) build Clover
 2) build Clover with HFSPlus
 3) make pkg
 4) make app
 5) make app (with Clover)
 6) make iso
 7) build all
 8) test build (no autogen, no boot files)
 9) status
10) update Clover
11) show diff
12) open CloverV2/EFI/CLOVER directory
13) update Clover (reset changes)
14) clean BaseTools
15) Utilities
16) quit

Please enter your choice: 

very strange indeed and also curious... but sure its not a buildme issue

no idea why you get that.

• Like 1

Guest 5T33Z0
10 hours ago, naiclub said:

Heard that I changed AptioMemoryFix.efi to OpenRuntime.efi instead?

How to fix it, friends please answer.

ภาพถ่ายหน้าจอ 2564-05-14 เวลา 17.39.28.png

Delete any unknown Keys from the config by using a plist editor and save.

Recheck config

Fix ramaining errors by compairing the mentioned keys with the sample.

Follow my clover update guide to update clover properly and to remove aptio memory fixes

16 minutes ago, D-an-W said:

Should the file you sent pull the files from Github if not there?

nope  .git .gitmodules .gitignore .github Must be present otherwise you get that error

ok now i get why you had that

My file only replaced the order in choice 7, which may have prevented somehow to produce the version.h file by buildclover.

I fixed that. 

Edited by LAbyOne
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LAbyOne said:

nope  .git .gitmodules .gitignore .github Must be present otherwise you get that error

ok now i get why you had that

My file only replaced the order in choice 7, which may have prevented somehow to produce the version.h file by buildclover.

I fixed that. 

Sorry, my fault. I didn't realise I had to replace the buildme in the /src folder. The file you shared now seems to be working by just choosing option 7 after a first run.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Slice said:

These quirks exists due to embedded OpenCore and I have no connection with them.

More comments.

DisableIoMapper is to disable VT-d technology because on several hardware in older OS it cause macOS crash.

Anyway you may:

1. Switch off VT-d in BIOS.

2. Drop the table DMAR.

3. Use boot-arg dart=0

Or do nothing because VT-d is working in Mojave on my hardware for example.

PowerTimeoutKernelPanic it is for Catalina only to not panic and hang instead. For a why??? I will not recommend this patch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 5T33Z0 said:

Recheck config

Follow my clover update guide to update clover properly and to remove aptio memory fixes

May I see an example? (Friends)
Thank you

8 hours ago, 5T33Z0 said:

Recheck config

2 hours ago, chris1111 said:

Try this file then you can adapt as your need

config-Legacy.plist.zip 2.34 kB · 4 downloads

(Friends)
Thank you

19 minutes ago, MifJpn said:

I found out what's wrong with Clover_r5134.pkg.:thumbsup_anim:
"CloverBootloader/CloverPackage/package/Scripts.templates/BootLoaderChooser/postinstall"
And
"CloverBootloader/CloverPackage/package/Scripts.templates/CloverConfigPlistValidator/postinstall"
These two have no execution attribute.
On the contrary,
By doing "% chmod a+x", the pkg error (install BLC & ccpv) disappeared.
Also, regarding Buildme, it may be the first time to "make", so I think that "checktools" should be put in front for each. Also, if you do not "makeClover" before "makeCCPV", Version.h will not be created and an error will occur.
I'm tired so I'll take a rest.:)

@Slice

@Jief_Machak

@LAbyOne

Thank you for your consideration.

Can you try to install those two files? Will there be a serious warning?

CloverConfigPlistValidator<-------

BootLoaderChooser<------

45 minutes ago, MifJpn said:

I found out what's wrong with Clover_r5134.pkg.:thumbsup_anim:
"CloverBootloader/CloverPackage/package/Scripts.templates/BootLoaderChooser/postinstall"
And
"CloverBootloader/CloverPackage/package/Scripts.templates/CloverConfigPlistValidator/postinstall"
These two have no execution attribute.
On the contrary,
By doing "% chmod a+x", the pkg error (install BLC & ccpv) disappeared.
Also, regarding Buildme, it may be the first time to "make", so I think that "checktools" should be put in front for each. Also, if you do not "makeClover" before "makeCCPV", Version.h will not be created and an error will occur.
I'm tired so I'll take a rest.:)

@Slice

@Jief_Machak

@LAbyOne

Thank you for your consideration.

Thanks, committed!

• Thanks 2