The Ultimate Web Browser

Swad

461 posts in this topic

In Windows, Firefox hands-down. It's defiently speedier than IE, and I've found it alot stabler than my experiences with IE. Only downside is the alt-text annoyance, and ActiveX scripts sometimes not working properly.

Ditto for OS X...although I do find myself using Safari sometimes as well.

Linux, XP, Vista, and OSX: Firefox. Here's why: I am used to it, and it doesn't suck like IE.

Those that say IE7 doesn't suck are telling the truth: it is a good browser. But I stopped using it right away because I am used to Firefox. The only drawback I experience with Firefox is that it seems to eat my RAMs for lunch on OSX. It's terrible, and it sounds like it's not just me. But, like I say, I'm used to it.

I used to use Safari on OSX because it is light and easy and it's default, but I switched to FF because of tabbed browsing (someone here said you can do tabs in Safari. If that's true, please let me know how to do it). If I were going only for looks, it would have to be Safari.

My cousin almost got me switched to Opera when he showed me the Safrad skin for Opera. Makes it look just like Safari. Check it out.

To summarize, I am used to Firefox, and it does everything I need on every platform, so that's what I use.

I like to use a whole variety. Alot of browsers display pages differently, some don't load certain pages, while others do.

On XP, I like to use FireFox, Opera and IE.

On OSx86, I like to use Safari, FireFox and Camino.

Also, it's good to have a range of browsers so you can see whether websites load all the same, or differently (mostly important for people who run their own website).

Guest Guest

Hey guys,

(#1) OSX = Safari

• Comments:

Safari rocks - I'd say it is the best for OSX. A very, very, very close second would be Opera, I'll explain why its second below. Safari is stable; slick; and supports everything the average user needs to surf the internet quickly. I've experienced *minimal* problems at best using Safari in browsing web pages.

• Problems/Wanted Additions: (With Safari)

- Should view PDF's natively with Preview integration. Adobe Acrobat is slow and prone to crashing Safari.

- Should remember open tabs and be able to completely recover from freeze. (Natively without a plugin)

- Should give more options than just Google in the search box. Like Dictionary etc... (Natively without a plugin)

- Should allow the user to to have the cookies deleted everytime Safari quits. (Natively without a plugin)

- Should allow movement of the tabs, effect should be modeled after Adium's chatbox. (Natively without a plugin)

(#2) OSX = Opera 9

• Comments:

Opera is a really nice web browser. There is just one thing that makes it #2 and why I don't use it. The Tab bar is above the address bar - when it should be below the address bar like it is in every other browser out there. If there was a plugin that would allow that - then I'd be all over Opera.

------------------------

Which browser is overall the best? Well for OSX, that could very well technically be Opera. Second would be Safari. I don't know why everyone is claiming Camino and all the others are "faster" and "better" than Safari. I have *actual* data to backup this conclusion that Opera would probable be #1 and Safari #2. Do a good search with the terms: "OS X Browser Comparison" - select the second webpage found. Graphical view will clearly show that the Mozilla browsers (all of them), are beaten by Safari in almost every field.

One of the few things I don't like about it is the lack of feedback you get while loading a page;

don't know what exactly you mean by that but:

you can select a pop-up progressbar at the bottom of page with detailed info while loading the site or

simple progress indicator within the adressbar while the page loads

you can as well choose to have a delay between first reception of data and start of actual rendering, which is defaulting at 1s if I'm not mistaken, or you can turn it off so the page renders instantly as the data come in.. this provides you the 'feedback'?

in any case - if it's sensible, there sure is way how to do it in Opera, w/o any plugins.. (really the only thing you need to do apart from personalising settings is find the right skin for the OS you're running in)

- Should view PDF's natively with Preview integration. Adobe Acrobat is slow and prone to crashing Safari.

Safari alread does this, unless your Acrobat plug-in is overriding it?

- Should allow the user to to have the cookies deleted everytime Safari quits. (Natively without a plugin)

Don't know about deleting, but it won't save them if Private Browsing is checked.

I use Safari. I just like it, the way it renders.

I hate FireFoxes HTML form elements. Same with EI, I like how Safari uses Aqua lists and buttons.

I don't use the web in Windows, but on the odd occasion I do have to- I use whatever is around, usually IE... then I wash my hands.

=)

Konqueror, Opera, Safari, w3m, IE in that order.

I definetly like using Konquerer when in KDE. Since it's already integrated, it sure loads a hell of a lot faster than Mozilla.

Also, interesting article comparing the Pros and Cons of Firefox/Opera can be found here. (Yeah, I got that off of digg. Interesting, nonetheless :()

Guest Guest

Safari all the way.. It's open source enoug (Webkit), fast as hell, and does everything I want it to do.. Firefox is a close second.. but it's long(er) load time, slightly slower page loading, and slight clunkiness (to me anyways) always push me back to safari.

firefox for life

tabbed browsing stable wonderful

safari = yuck, why the hell did apple decide to make the window so small default anyways I shouldnt have to get a plugin to make it better

IE = {censored}, buggy no cool features prone to security threats

OS X: Firefox

Winblows: Firefox

Linux: Firefox

Why FX all the way around for me? It's fast. The only lag problem I ever have with FX is the initial startup, but after that, it's smooth sailing. With IE, you get all of the security holes and crashed that Microshaft give you, and Safari just doesn't cut it, with poor jscript processing and graphics rendering. FX also has some graphical problems, but it's best for a developer. I say this because, if you can get a site PERFECTO in FX, it'll look perfect in any browser.

Plus, FX ties into OS X best as far as looks go when you install the UNO theme. It does a better job at this than even Safari. :)

UNO theme: http://takebacktheweb.org/

this isn't the entire OS themer, just the FX theme.

safari = yuck, why the hell did apple decide to make the window so small default anyways I shouldnt have to get a plugin to make it better

Resize the window. Grab your mouse, place it over the bottom right corner of the window, and click. Hold it down as you move your mouse to make the small window BIGGER. No plugin required!

Then you can have a cookie!

For anyone that uses IE. Try going to a crack, serial, or warez related site that isn't one of the big ones. You'll find spyware gets to your system even with IE7. Then clean your system from the spyware, and try it on Firefox. Notice how you don't get spyware. :)

Guest Mac Citizen
Hey guys,

(#1) OSX = Safari

• Comments:

Safari rocks - I'd say it is the best for OSX. A very, very, very close second would be Opera, I'll explain why its second below. Safari is stable; slick; and supports everything the average user needs to surf the internet quickly. I've experienced *minimal* problems at best using Safari in browsing web pages.

- Should remember open tabs and be able to completely recover from freeze. (Natively without a plugin)

- Should give more options than just Google in the search box. Like Dictionary etc... (Natively without a plugin)

- Should allow movement of the tabs, effect should be modeled after Adium's chatbox. (Natively without a plugin)

(#2) OSX = Opera 9

• Comments:

Opera is a really nice web browser. There is just one thing that makes it #2 and why I don't use it. The Tab bar is above the address bar - when it should be below the address bar like it is in every other browser out there. If there was a plugin that would allow that - then I'd be all over Opera.

------------------------

Which browser is overall the best? Well for OSX, that could very well technically be Opera. Second would be Safari. I don't know why everyone is claiming Camino and all the others are "faster" and "better" than Safari. I have *actual* data to backup this conclusion that Opera would probable be #1 and Safari #2. Do a good search with the terms: "OS X Browser Comparison" - select the second webpage found. Graphical view will clearly show that the Mozilla browsers (all of them), are beaten by Safari in almost every field.

Well you convinced me. I'm now using a combination of Safari & Opera; FireFox and most of the rest just :angel: compared to Safari & Opera.

I tested a lot of browsers: Windows Internet Exploder 5 & 6, Firefox, Opera and on MacOS Safari, Firefox, Camino and iCab. But I found no one better that the good old Netscape!

Windows' Internet Exploder may be the compatiblest, but is so 'infective', it loaded me over 180 virus files in the cache, even through a firewall. Safari doesn't want to open the Netscape-WebMail-Site, some other things won't work, too. Camino has no big differences to Firefox, and Firefox is not as configurable as Netscape. iCab fell out very early, also Opera.

I'm using Netscape 7.1 on Windows for years and Netscape 7.2 on MacOS. Interesting: The integrated browser in Solaris 10 is a 1:1-implementation of Netscape 7 with it's mail-client! This should prove that Netscape's a very safe and stable browser. I never had problems with it. Some sites will make problems, too, but every browser has it faults. I never got a virus or something through it.

What's wondering me: Much people don't say anything good about Netscape, but they are pleased by Firefox and it's external Thunderbird eMail Client - and that is the one Netscape has integrated since Version 4! Firefox also uses the Mozilla engine, Camino the Gecko rendering technology - Netscape does this for long. But Netscape is much more configurable than all other browsers. In no other browser I tested you can f.e. set the last visited page is the default page. Netscape also allows to direct paths for caches and mail data. Tabbed browsing and something is available since Version 6.

To say it short: Netscape 7 is a one-file-package of a very configurable Mozilla-based browser, the Thunderbird Mail-Client, a WYSIWYG HTML-Editor, the (unneccessary) AOL Messenger and an easy ICQ Client. Who hasn't found the right browser yet, test it.

GreetinX from the other Side!

amdprophet Posted Yesterday, 08:36 PM

For anyone that uses IE. Try going to a crack, serial, or warez related site that isn't one of the big ones. You'll find spyware gets to your system even with IE7. Then clean your system from the spyware, and try it on Firefox. Notice how you don't get spyware. :angel:

That is very true

For me? Nothing beats Opera 9 ;-). Sure they are not opensource and it's very limited from outside customization but hey, do I really have the time to customize the browser?

Opera suits just fine for me (and yeah, they're free too!). It's like having Firefox with a different rendering engine and none of the memory leak.

I use Camino for Web Browsing (because when you maximise it actually fills the screen instead of leaving a four inch bar to your right like firefox and safari). Firefox is an awesome web designers resource, so I use it for work. IE on windows NEEDS to be used for work as about 83% of people use it. Safari, well it's a bit of a joke. And Opera, Opera is for posh people. To tell you the truth, on Mac OS it has awful, awful GUI, so I use it for testing purposes only.

I was a long time windows user and nothing sucked more than IE and that's what forced me to use FireFox as my default browser. The customization is great and I believe the speed of it wasn't bad. Now that I have my first Mac, I had both Safari and FireFox. I used firefox a little but found safari to be so much faster and better put together. I went ahead and got rid of firefox because of the lack of use, but i'm going to have to give opera a try and see how that goes.

Soon Firefox will have Camino GUI(cocoa GUI) and will overtake camino and Safari.

I currently was using Camino, but since there are no extensions I am going to Firefox.

OS X - Firefox, with Safari as second.

Windows - Firefox

Will someone please make a Safari-tab. Similar to IE-Tab on windows. THat way I can use Safari from within Firefox.