[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I managed to get 32bit running well with everything (lan, sound, peripherals... except sleep). I am using ATi HD 4850 on EX58-UD4P and am following netkas GraphicsEnabler solution on PCEFI 10.3. Yet, I still can't find any solution to get it to sleep and wakeup properly.

I am also wondering how do you get the sound and ethernet lan in 64 bit working. Which sound kext and LAN kext do you use? Could you please elaborate the steps you've gone through to get 64 bit fully running?

32 bit is more reliable, 64 bit can work but lan isn't yet 100% reliable I find as the ports go to sleep. They work fine all day through several reboots & sleep then next day you need to pull the power plug to reset them.

Sleep on my working 32 bit doesn't work but my clean 64 bit install works nicely. I did mess around with settings

for 32 bit so not sure what I changed, sleep worked out of the box on 64 bit once I sorted out the window manager crashing when waking. I didn't do anything to enable sleep other than put the kexts in Extensions

The lan kext is the one I mentioned earlier, sound take your pick, there are several ALC88*.kexts or DSDT solns

depending on what you want. The ones in the DD script should work for you?

I guess there are several interdependencies that depend on how you did your installation so I don't have

a definitive answer

steve

Is there a way to some how retrieve it? make OSX see this partitions again?

Please I spent days installing all the software and making it to be solid!

;)

Hi ArkaPro,

In my Mac world, DiskWarrior has been the most successful for me at restoring partition nightmares. I've yet to try it on an OSX86 system. A Google search for 'insanelymac diskwarrior' should provide some caveats. As a safety, I would use DW's ability to "preview" the drive before actually applying the repairs. You should be able to clone the preview to another volume before you take the risk of writing to the disk.

Regards,

Lyle

Remove ATY_init.kext and replace it with evoenabler.kext, rebuild caches and reboot. Should be working fine after that.

http://www.kexts.com/view/6-evoenabler.kext.html

Thank Alex for pointing out how to solve this problem ;)

THANK YOU!!!!!

I have a Sapphire 4870, and had the same problem.

Removed ATY_init.kext, added evoenabler, rebuilt cache..... perfect.

Hi ArkaPro,

In my Mac world, DiskWarrior has been the most successful for me at restoring partition nightmares. I've yet to try it on an OSX86 system. A Google search for 'insanelymac diskwarrior' should provide some caveats. As a safety, I would use DW's ability to "preview" the drive before actually applying the repairs. You should be able to clone the preview to another volume before you take the risk of writing to the disk.

Regards,

Lyle

Thanks man - I tried other restore programs such as "FILESALVAGE" but I could only retrieve files - not to actually restore the Partition info's.

I struggled for a hole day - untill I gave up... So I decided to just re-install evrything from top....

I just finished installing the 10.5.7 DD script (the old one)

Enabled my GPU.

and now starting installing every thing 1 prog at a time.

Too bad I didn't try your advice (DiskWarrior) earlier...

I'm having a few problems installing Windows to the same drive as OS X, I think it has something to do with the bootloader. This is how I did it.

Firstly, I formatted my internal HDD using GPT and added 2 paritions; 1 HFS+ and one FAT32. Then I restored a cloned image of my current OS X install of my external disk, then I rebooted and installed Vista, formatting the partition I had set up to NTFS. Installed everything fine, before letting it reboot to start setting up windows I booted into my old OS X install on my external drive and re-installed the bootloader and set my active partition (using DD's script). Once I had done that, I rebooted and the bootloader doesn't start, it just skips to 'Windows Boot Manager' telling me it failed to boot.

I'm guessing my problem is to do with the bootloader, I didn't quite understand the steps involved to prevent it from breaking. Please if anyone can help. Thanks!

I'm having a few problems installing Windows to the same drive as OS X, I think it has something to do with the bootloader. This is how I did it.

Firstly, I formatted my internal HDD using GPT and added 2 paritions; 1 HFS+ and one FAT32. Then I restored a cloned image of my current OS X install of my external disk, then I rebooted and installed Vista, formatting the partition I had set up to NTFS. Installed everything fine, before letting it reboot to start setting up windows I booted into my old OS X install on my external drive and re-installed the bootloader and set my active partition (using DD's script). Once I had done that, I rebooted and the bootloader doesn't start, it just skips to 'Windows Boot Manager' telling me it failed to boot.

I'm guessing my problem is to do with the bootloader, I didn't quite understand the steps involved to prevent it from breaking. Please if anyone can help. Thanks!

I have had issues with running windows and OSX on the same HD. I will advice you install windows first and then OSX. If they were on 2 separate drives, that wont be a problem. I am sure there is another solution but this will be my best option as it worked for me.

Good luck

this solution worked with Leopard but not any more perhaps it is due to the new chameleon.. or DD script..

Did you read this ? http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1284619

I personally didn't try it

{edit}

OK I found something very good ( THIS PDF FILE IS AWESOME)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=178292

Take a look at the pdf file (GA-EP45-DS3L Vanilla EFI Dual Boot Guide v1/GA-EP45-DS3L Vanilla EFI Dual Boot Guide v1.0.pdf) page 14 and 15

Here is the trick

=>

To fix Windows we now need to go back in to OSX, open the Terminal and set the Windows partition to active. So using the information from the diskutil list command from step 16, use fdisk again.

When you have the required information, type the following in to terminal replacing the red numbers with what’s needed for you.

sudo -s fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

f 3 w y q

(note the space between f and 3)

Reboot with Win 7 install disc.

Choose ‘Repair your computer’...

this solution worked with Leopard but not any more perhaps it is due to the new chameleon.. or DD script..

Did you read this ? http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1284619

I personally didn't try it

{edit}

OK I found something very good ( THIS PDF FILE IS AWESOME)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=178292

Take a look at the pdf file (GA-EP45-DS3L Vanilla EFI Dual Boot Guide v1/GA-EP45-DS3L Vanilla EFI Dual Boot Guide v1.0.pdf) page 14 and 15

Here is the trick

=>

To fix Windows we now need to go back in to OSX, open the Terminal and set the Windows partition to active. So using the information from the diskutil list command from step 16, use fdisk again.

When you have the required information, type the following in to terminal replacing the red numbers with what’s needed for you.

sudo -s fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

f 3 w y q

(note the space between f and 3)

Reboot with Win 7 install disc.

Choose ‘Repair your computer’...

Thanks a lot for that, giving it a try now.

However, how do I know where my bootloader is installed to? Not sure if it's installed to EFI or just my system partition...

Hey guys,

I'm quite happy with my setup, but I'm still experimenting with sleep.

After switching to SL and using DDs new script, I had the mouse lag problem and thus

added Disabler.kext to disable AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext.

It goes almost immediately to sleep, but when I wake it up again with a mouse click,

the screen stays black.

Just now, I updated to DD 4.10 and tried it again without Disabler.kext, but I got the rare, short mouse lags again.

Anyway, I tried sleep again and it worked flawlessly!

Enabling Disabler.kext again or simply renaming the AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext to .disabled renders sleep useless. :)

Does anyone know a fix for this? Maybe fixing the mouse lag without disabling AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext?

@tsunoo

I tried that method, after the step where I set my OS X install (where I assume my bootloader is installed to) to active, it won't boot into any OS at all. It just gets stuck at 'Verifying DMI Pool Data ...'. I'm not really sure what's causing this... Help!

Edit:

I skipped to the repair stage and now by Windows partition doesn't even appear in the window. This is so aggrevating.

I really need to know if when I chose the 'Extra' option as opposed to the EFI option in the install script if that means that my bootloader is installed the the root of my SL install?

I did it ...finally. This is how:

1. Partitioned my disk into 1 HFS+ and a FAT32
  2. Restored a cloned version of my working OS X install (would otherwise install at this stage)
  3. Reinstalled my bootloader
  4. Rebooted and installed Windows (formatting my FAT32 partition as NTFS)
  5. Rebooted into OS X and set partition as active
  6. Reboot to check if bootloader worked correctly
  7. Boot into OS X and set Windows drive as active
  8. Boot Windows install disc and repair install
  9. Boot OS X and set partition to active (again)

I'm 90% sure that's how I did it. I'm not sure if all of those steps are necessary, but it works so I'm not gonna bother myself too much with the facts.

Can I install 10.6 or 10.5.8 on a 16GB USB flash drive to use as a bootable utility drive using this script?

I have 10.5.8 up and running and I would like to delete the Kalyway install I have on a seperate SATA drive so I can install XP or Win 7 on it without the risk that comes with trying to partition my 10.5.8 drive for a Win install.

Thanks.

OK, I reinstalled from scratch (since I couldn't solve my boot problem in previous install) and now all kexts except IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext and EVOenabler.kext is in /System but I still get a Kernel Panic when waking from sleep. Should I put EVOenabler.kext in /System too or what? Will that help?

I also have a few small issues in Mac OS X 10.6.1 itself and that is it stubbornly turn back on the ”Show date and time in menu bar” each time I log in. I want it to be off since I use iStat Menus instead.

I'm having problems with the keyboard shortcuts for ”Back” and ” Forward”. I use Swedish keyboard layout but English for the OS. This works fine on my MacBook Pro, so I don't know what's up...

Also I once ”got stuck” at blue screen when doing a log out to log in to a test account. Don't know of that was due to Mac OS X or something with the ”hacking”.

Sigh.... I wish things could work as well as it did in Mac OS X 10.5.7 for me. There sleep and everything worked just fine.

I don't want to jinx anything, but just now I was messing around with kexts and my /Extra directory to fix this KP after sleep issue... so far so good... don't see a KP yet!

I don't know how you have your system set up, but what I did was move all the kexts to /System/Library/Extensions except the following 4 went in /Extra/Extensions/

my /Extra/Extensions/ has:

AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext PlatformUUID.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext dsmos.kext

After I did that, I ran Kext Utility and when that was done restarted the system. Following that, Sleep seems to have worked for me...

32 bit is more reliable, 64 bit can work but lan isn't yet 100% reliable I find as the ports go to sleep. They work fine all day through several reboots & sleep then next day you need to pull the power plug to reset them.

Sleep on my working 32 bit doesn't work but my clean 64 bit install works nicely. I did mess around with settings

for 32 bit so not sure what I changed, sleep worked out of the box on 64 bit once I sorted out the window manager crashing when waking. I didn't do anything to enable sleep other than put the kexts in Extensions

The lan kext is the one I mentioned earlier, sound take your pick, there are several ALC88*.kexts or DSDT solns

depending on what you want. The ones in the DD script should work for you?

I guess there are several interdependencies that depend on how you did your installation so I don't have

a definitive answer

steve

I haven't tried all of the possible ALC88*kexts ... will try them once I have more time to tinker with those kexts.

Just now, I managed to run LAN in 64 bit using IONetworking kext supplied in dd_4.10 ... seems running without a hitch. Will report on the progress as I played with various setting and configuration. But for now... I think it's much better to stay in 32 bit for reliability.

cheers,

hendry

Hi there!

First off thanks for the excellent tutorial!

I had installed a fresh HD from my "real" MacPro running SL. That's why I chose PC-EFI instead of Chameleon 2 RC3 and I obviously also did not use the DSDT patcher as I was preparing the HD not from my Hackintosh but rather from a real Macintosh. :-)

Eventually I changed HDs and booted my HacMac. Everything went smooth until the point where the graphics should have kicked in. Instead I got a black screen with white rectangles (real messy).

I decided to boot safe mode with option -x and that brought me right into SL.

Then I moved all ATI* kext away from S/L/E and that allowed me to boot the system in "normal" mode.

The next thing I realised was that the NICs did not work. I googled a bit and copied the entire /Extras folder of some EX58-UD5 kext zip I had found. That did the trick and now I had a running HackMac SL but still without support for my ATI 4850.

Now finally - here comes the real problem:

I have found a thread in this forum on how to get the 4850 to work. And one solution was to upgrade the PC-EFI with the latest one being based on Chameleon RC3. So I renamed my old /boot into /boot_bck and copied the new PC-EFI boot to my root dir.

I also changed the com.apple.Boot.plist to include the GraphicsEnabler (or some rather similiar key - don't really remember the exact key name now).

*THEN* I rebooted and NOW I am stuck completely because my new PC-EFI bootloader won't boot anymore. It tells me that there is no "mach_kernel" to boot from.

My questions are:

a) am I entirely f*cked now? :-)

B) does my SL kernel file mabye have a different name which I could boot by simply typing its name at the boot prompt?

c) if not - is there a way to access the HD from either Linux or Windows to change back the boot loader?

I am REALLY hoping that some of you guys will be able to help me!

Can I install 10.6 or 10.5.8 on a 16GB USB flash drive to use as a bootable utility drive using this script?

I have 10.5.8 up and running and I would like to delete the Kalyway install I have on a seperate SATA drive so I can install XP or Win 7 on it without the risk that comes with trying to partition my 10.5.8 drive for a Win install.

Thanks.

Yes, that is possible. I have used both a 16GB and an 8GB flash drive for this purpose. My experience is that this is a very sloooow process. The install to the flash drive takes several hours. Once the install is complete and you have booted from the flash drive, prepare for more wait time. Boot takes several minutes plus once booted up, screen actions (opening folders, running apps, etc) are very slow to respond.

You would be better served using an old IDE drive mounted in an external USB case. That installs and operates much faster than using a flash drive.

Hi there!

First off thanks for the excellent tutorial!

I had installed a fresh HD from my "real" MacPro running SL. That's why I chose PC-EFI instead of Chameleon 2 RC3 and I obviously also did not use the DSDT patcher as I was preparing the HD not from my Hackintosh but rather from a real Macintosh. :-)

Eventually I changed HDs and booted my HacMac. Everything went smooth until the point where the graphics should have kicked in. Instead I got a black screen with white rectangles (real messy).

I decided to boot safe mode with option -x and that brought me right into SL.

Then I moved all ATI* kext away from S/L/E and that allowed me to boot the system in "normal" mode.

The next thing I realised was that the NICs did not work. I googled a bit and copied the entire /Extras folder of some EX58-UD5 kext zip I had found. That did the trick and now I had a running HackMac SL but still without support for my ATI 4850.

Now finally - here comes the real problem:

I have found a thread in this forum on how to get the 4850 to work. And one solution was to upgrade the PC-EFI with the latest one being based on Chameleon RC3. So I renamed my old /boot into /boot_bck and copied the new PC-EFI boot to my root dir.

I also changed the com.apple.Boot.plist to include the GraphicsEnabler (or some rather similiar key - don't really remember the exact key name now).

*THEN* I rebooted and NOW I am stuck completely because my new PC-EFI bootloader won't boot anymore. It tells me that there is no "mach_kernel" to boot from.

My questions are:

a) am I entirely f*cked now? :-)

:thumbsup_anim: does my SL kernel file mabye have a different name which I could boot by simply typing its name at the boot prompt?

c) if not - is there a way to access the HD from either Linux or Windows to change back the boot loader?

I am REALLY hoping that some of you guys will be able to help me!

my 2 cents (an idea.. but may be wrong): the active partition should be the one where you copied chameleon.

I have a new question. My ESATA external drive is now being used for time machine, but it's not picked up unless it's switched on at boot. Is there a way to enable hot plugging; ie. it appears when I switch it on from inside the OS?

Thanks

There may not be anything in OS X that automagically mounts SATA drives attached after the system is booted, but you can manually use Disk Utility's mount function.

I continually somehow break 32-bit Snow Leopard on this machine somehow... something about migrating my files from the old install to the new one makes it hang at boot.

Anyway, 64-bit works fantastically well, everything except audio.

Thanks to LocusOfControl for the 64-bit LAN kext, but I can't seem to find what I need to get audio going. I just need stereo out from the green jack in the back.

Any help/tips/kexts are appreciated! :)

ok i want to send out a huge thanks to everyone on here for helping us who are slightly slower at figuring this stuff out! for the record: i have a mac pro i am using to format my HDD then the plan is to insert into the project PC to have OSX on. Yes, i have an i7 920, and a GA-EX58-UD5 Motherboard. i am installing a retail DVD of Snow Leopard OSX.

i am ready to do the installation tonight after work and had a few technical questions:

1) Step 11 on Preparation is "Make an ISO of your Retail DVD". Do i need to do this? if so how and why?

2) I want to use Chameleon because it looks better than a bunch of white and black text junk.

is that ok for me to do instead of PC-EFI v10.3? (considering i am using a mac pro to format and do all the initial work versus on the actual machine)

3) Then step 7 of installation said this: If installing from Leopard for Snow Leopard, the script will automatically install all x86_64 (64-bit) kexts in /System, as 64-bit boot caches cannot be built into Leopard. Also, note too, that in Snow Leopard some i386 kexts (32-bit) just do not work in /Extra and must be installed into /System. These include current the selection of audio and networking kexts, so toggle them from the /Extra destination to /System by keying in their number and pressing 'Enter.' (i.e. press 4, Enter, 5, Enter, 7, Enter)

How do i do that last part in bold? lol not exactly sure....

4) Booting: When i boot, DD's guide says: to type "-v -x32" but for Chameleon I need to replace the -x32 with "arch=i386". and because i'm a first time installer, add "-s" to it as well so it'd be: "-v -s arch=i386".

Is this correct?

5) Then....it says i type "buildcache followed by the return key". Is this right? Then it says when the script finishes, type "reboot" followed by the return key.

So does this mean i'll get another boot window, correct?

I have the rest figured out. Just wanted to ask the guys out there who could lend a helping hand to these 5 questions. THANKS!

Hakintos,

Have you tried having the audio related kexts installed in /System? Due to dependency issues, most only work in S/L/E.

MAJ

Those not working in /system AppleHDA.kext HDAEnabler.kext ALC889a.kext. This VoodooHDA.kext if detected in / system but no sound is heard. any program you use works fast. you play accelerated video and image, with the music it is the same, works fast, but not could hear nothing. :)