[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

Where is this 64-bit LAN kext you speak about? Can't find it... Perhaps you could upload it to kexts.com?

this should be his upload. post #329

I haven't tried it yet..

@jojocommi: could you please insert your logs into [.code][/code] tags? (without the .)

are you booting into 32bit? For me, audio works only with kexts in /system and not in /extra.

good luck

very disappointing ;) , because this script all work,except my Time Capsule.

If you read or search (one page at a time...) through this thread, I'm pretty certain Time Capsule gets unhappy because Bonjour is unhappy. I'm not sure why the default script leaves Bonjour unhappy, but several fixes are discussed further above in the the thread. Not sure which is the best of those fixes. Maybe not everyone in the thread cares about Bonjour, I mean if you just have one machine sitting at home you probably don't notice.

Digital Dreamer do you think you could put this in the kext directory for us EX58 UD3R people who use your script? It enables the ALC 888 audio we use.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=188349

Also on my HTPC which uses a the intel 82566 kext you have in your script the kext doesn't load under 64 bit boot but the kext here Intel82566MM does.

You mean in order to update Chameleon to backup those 2 files and then replace them after running the bootloader script to update to RC3? Good deal-- I'll just update it before I install Snow Leopard to avoid any issues there. Thanks!

Another question: can I use the same boot.plist for the Snow Leopard install? (all it has is a hex string for my graphics card and a section to tell the bootloader what resolution to display at)

You can use the same boot.plist, but you'll need to add the new Kernel Flags, arch=i386 or -x32 (depending on which bootloader you are using), if you are running in 32-bit mode. The bootloaders default to 64-bit.

I have no internet and no ethernet is discovered. I do not know how to install kexts but I figured the network kexts and audio kexts would be installed automatically with the script.

The kexts are installed, but they just don't happen to work in /Extra. You'll need to toggle install them from /Extra to /System in the kext installer.

Also, would you, or anyone else, for that matter, please post long logs as text files, instead of text in the comments? Thanks! :-)

Digital Dreamer do you think you could put this in the kext directory for us EX58 UD3R people who use your script? It enables the ALC 888 audio we use.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=188349

Also on my HTPC which uses a the intel 82566 kext you have in your script the kext doesn't load under 64 bit boot but the kext here Intel82566MM does.

Sure, I'll do that.

Do these kexts work in 32-bit also or just 64-bit?

I need to know, so I can determine whether to dump the others or add and rename it as "64-bit only"

Thanks!

regards,

MAJ

Just wanted to thank you guys and especially DD for this excellent tutorial!

I finally managed to get my EX-58 UD5 up and running with SL!

Just a quick recap of my major obstacles and how I managed to solve them:

a) wasn't able to boot any of the "new" distributions to install my SL from. Kalyway was the only DVD I managed to boot but I failed to start the installed Leopard. iDeneb, iAtkos, iPC and XXX all gave me the "boot loop" issue. Fortunately enough the solution was rather simple. Just enter "busratio=20" at the Chameleon boot prompt and the boot process will run through smoothly. Oh and don't even think about connecting a HD to the Gigabyte's SATA ports. Only the INTEL native SATA ports work at that point. Otherwise you will get a KP.

:P Using iAtkos I managed to boot into Leopard but ONLY using the -s (Singlemode) boot option first and manually moving away all ATI* related KEXTs from S/L/E. At that time I had a ATI 4850 which I wanted to use for my HackMac.

c) Then I prepared the new drive and used your script to install SL from a retail DVD (€29 - what a steal).

d) I had to move the ALC889a and the RealtekR1000 KEXTs from /Extra to /System in order to get them to work

e) Also - don't try to boot into 64bit mode. The Realtek drivers will NOT work correctly. Instead you will see your NICs but they will only get some "internal" IP if you are configured for DHCP. If you have manually configured your IP it will all look ok but you just don't get any packets across the line.

f) I gave up on the ATI 4850 (after numerous attempts with dozens of different ways) and got myself a GTX 260. Tell you what - that thing just worked! Maybe because I had installed some KEXT drivers from Netkas.org first. I cannot really tell.

So, that's it. I am loving my new 3.4GHz / 12 Gig / GTX260 (QE!) system which I built for roughly €1100. If I compare that to a 12Gig 2.93 GHz MacPro QuadCore which sells at about €4000 then I guess I made a good deal. ;-)

You can use the same boot.plist, but you'll need to add the new Kernel Flags, arch=i386 or -x32 (depending on which bootloader you are using), if you are running in 32-bit mode. The bootloaders default to 64-bit.

regards,

MAJ

PC EFI 10.3 understands arch=i386, so that may be the only version we need to worry about for now. Netkas replied to a comment about it here.

Ryan

Hey, pretty basic question here. I've tried installing SL from SL (or L) as both EFI and System - using Cham 2.0 RC3. My system is UD5, Nvidia 9800GTX. Using DD's 4.1 script and guide, as much as I can follow it, when installing EFI-based SATA and USB work, Audio and Ethernet do not. When installing System and using default kext installer options, that all kexts go into Extra, SATA and USB work, Audio and Ethernet do not. I have to shift the Audio and Network kexts into System for them to work, but I've only done that for a System (non-EFI) based install. Does EFI have this same concept of "Extra" and "System" kext directories, and do I need to move the Audio/Ethernet kexts to the "System" directory for them to work in EFI-based system?

Sure, I'll do that.

Do these kexts work in 32-bit also or just 64-bit?

I need to know, so I can determine whether to dump the others or add and rename it as "64-bit only"

Thanks!

regards,

MAJ

Ok the only kext need is the AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E which is 32/64 bit It is currently working only in stereo

this should be his upload. post #329

I haven't tried it yet..

@jojocommi: could you please insert your logs into [.code][/code] tags? (without the .)

are you booting into 32bit? For me, audio works only with kexts in /system and not in /extra.

good luck

Sorry not sure how to use those tags unless all I have to do is put code at the top and /code at the bottom. Rather this time I complied with digital dreamer's suggestion and uploaded a txt file of my boot cache file.

I am booting in 64 and 32 but same issue. Using chameleon 2.0, I have to type arch=i386 to use 32bit right? If so then yes I have tried both.

post-498611-1254804792_thumb.png

For some reason at some stage I lost the ability (within the script) to see information on available drives for change install target and for modify plist. I can still use the features of the script if I remember where things are located but I'd like to be able to see what I'm doing.

Perhaps it's because I have too many partitions. I have 8 partitions mounted and viewable from my desktop. I tried downloading a new version of the script but I still get the same problem.

Digital Dreamer--

I just wanted to thank you for the effort you've put into these guides-- I built a Core i7 "PC" and in late April, I turned it into a screaming fast Mac.

Now there's Snow Leopard-- I've been running it on my MacBook, but have been putting off installing it on the tower-- after all, SL is still so new. Today, I received a new Patriot Torqx SSD and couldn't resist-- I installed Snow Leopard with the assistance of this thread.

To my amazement, everything went 100% smoothly-- Migration Assistant pulled everything over from my 10.5.7 drive with-- as far as I can tell from my testing-- 100% success. No hiccups (and I have a LOT of stuff installed).

The first guide was great and I've learned a few things since I started (I'm sure that helped), but your new script is nothing short of amazing.

Thank you. :)

...oh, and the SSD is really really fast...! :D

There was someone that got LAN (RTL1000) working via DSDT, right? I just can't seem to find the article about it...

Would somebody be so kind to point me in the right direction?

Hi Cybex,

You can use BitRips DSDT from his post

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1266066

Speep doesnt work though.

Hello DD

Just wanted to thank you for your latest script additions. With all the good feedback in this forum, I finally managed to get a fully working 64bit kernel running. So far, everything seems to work but currently I am still testing.

:)

@all

This is kind of an off-topic question, but I really do not know where else I could start asking.

It's regarding the graphic performance. I did some googeling and searching but I could not really find a useful answer.

I have a Asus 9600 GT card, it's running with an EFI-string. No problems with it.

I also have a LCD monitor with a resolution of 1980x1200 pixels (connected by DVI)

On the same computer I have also installed Vista x64, in case I need a windows pc.

Something i recogized since I have setup first 10.5.7 system and now 10.6.1:

Window redraw performance is much smoother in Vista 64 than in OSX in general with the hardware I have.

If I have several windows open and start moving around the top window (e.g. Safari), when moving around quickly it's clearly not as smooth as the same scenario in Vista.

The question here: is this related to the system in general or do I need to get a better GFX card?

When I got the 9600GT in the first place, I thought it should be ok to cover my needs. But then, since it's working very well in Vista it also should in OSX, right?

Can anybody understand what i am talking about? Maybe you also recognized a similar thing?

Any feedback is highly appreciated!

Cheers

Mike

When I run DD script I get this error constantly:

12009-10-06 09:51:46.451 diskutil[1406:10b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

2009-10-06 09:51:46.476 DiskManagementTool[1409:10b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

when I start the script and then when I run the steps. Is this normal? How do I resolve this?

I am installing on my Abit IP35-Pro system

For some reason at some stage I lost the ability (within the script) to see information on available drives for change install target and for modify plist. I can still use the features of the script if I remember where things are located but I'd like to be able to see what I'm doing.

Perhaps it's because I have too many partitions. I have 8 partitions mounted and viewable from my desktop. I tried downloading a new version of the script but I still get the same problem.

Would you post the Install.log from one of your work sessions. #17 View logs - copy to desktop. You can PM, if you wish.

YUP! I retry install the script again, Time Capsule work now!!!

I love you DD :(

That's great, because I didn't have any solutions for that issue. :D

Window redraw performance is much smoother in Vista 64 than in OSX in general with the hardware I have.

If I have several windows open and start moving around the top window (e.g. Safari), when moving around quickly it's clearly not as smooth as the same scenario in Vista.

The question here: is this related to the system in general or do I need to get a better GFX card?

When I got the 9600GT in the first place, I thought it should be ok to cover my needs. But then, since it's working very well in Vista it also should in OSX, right?

Can anybody understand what i am talking about? Maybe you also recognized a similar thing?

Any feedback is highly appreciated!

Cheers

Mike

Do you know if you have CI/QE enabled? Translucent menubar, Dashboard ripples, Chess board rotation, etc.

I think your card should be more than adequate. I just suspect it not fully enabled.

One thing I noticed with my 4870 X2 was that, for a while, I was using "Mirror" because without it I was in the secondary display (extended desktop) without the menu bar. Exposé and other GUI animation was choppy; certainly not smooth. Some games were clearly playing on the main display and wasn't visible to me (all black screen). The OpenGL benchmark routine was not visible either.

When I deleted the displays preferences in the ByHost folder, I finally was able to view the main window without "Mirror" enabled. All animation is smooth now. Although I still have a extended desktop, my main screen with the menubar is visible.

best regards,

MAJ

When I run DD script I get this error constantly:

12009-10-06 09:51:46.451 diskutil[1406:10b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

2009-10-06 09:51:46.476 DiskManagementTool[1409:10b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

when I start the script and then when I run the steps. Is this normal? How do I resolve this?

I am installing on my Abit IP35-Pro system

These errors appear in the Terminal? Version 4.10? Are you working in Leopard?

Those errors appear when a platform UUID has not been defined for your system. They should disappear after rebooting from a PlatformUUID.kext or UUID.kext install.

EDIT: One can also add the UUID to the smbios.plist, as well.

regards,

MAJ

Hello DD

Just wanted to thank you for your latest script additions. With all the good feedback in this forum, I finally managed to get a fully working 64bit kernel running. So far, everything seems to work but currently I am still testing.

How did you manage to get audio and network support when booting 64-bit kernel?

Ok the only kext need is the AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E which is 32/64 bit It is currently working only in stereo

Those kexts don't work for me. Tried just AppleHDA.kext and both, but neither way worked. System Profiler says there's no built-in audio.

Used Kext Utility to add to S/L/E

These errors appear in the Terminal? Version 4.10? Are you working in Leopard?

Those errors appear when a platform UUID has not been defined for your system. They should disappear after rebooting from a PlatformUUID.kext or UUID.kext install.

EDIT: One can also add the UUID to the smbios.plist, as well.

regards,

MAJ

MAJ

yes, in terminal. yes, version 4.10. working from Leopard

I'm on a IP35 Pro based system. I have Kalyway 10.5.2 running and on it at the moment typing this. When I switch to boot off my SL disk I know get a KP.

I've been trying yours and every other script out there for the IP35 and am not able to get SL to boot.

Does it have soemthing to do with the error above? UUID?

I have changed the smbios.plist by adding

<key>SMmemtype</key>

<string>19</string>

I also have inserted

<key>SMUUID</key>

<string>3E15A11C-4FD4-370E-87D9-4081392467FE</string>

Do I insert these in plist folder of your script prior to running the script?

I also have my EFI string in my com.apple.boot.plist

when I first tried to install SL using your script I was getting the UUID error above and it wouldn't let me compile my DSDT.aml

these are probably all related, right? I figure if I can get your script to run correctly I will be able to install SL.

thanks in advance for your help. I love my ex58 system - it is a screaming machine.

Those kexts don't work for me. Tried just AppleHDA.kext and both, but neither way worked. System Profiler says there's no built-in audio.

Used Kext Utility to add to S/L/E

If you have any other audio kexts installed it will interfere and if you modified your dsdt to fix audio it will interfere.

I've been trying yours and every other script out there for the IP35 and am not able to get SL to boot.

<SNIP>

I also have inserted

<key>SMUUID</key>

<string>3E15A11C-4FD4-370E-87D9-4081392467FE</string>

Do I insert these in plist folder of your script prior to running the script?

<SNIP>

You're going to need to use a modified kernel for that IP35. Are you installing one? There should be a couple you can try. YMMV.

The current installation procedure assumes you'll be running the vanilla kernel, but don't think the Core 2 Quad will work with that.

The smbios.plist gets installed from the Plists folder to /Extra by the script when you do a bootloader install only. They don't get touched when doing a kext/kernel install. So, you can either modify the one in the Plists folder and run the bootloader install, or just use the plist editor to modify the plist at the location that needs the change (if it's already installed).

best of wishes,

MAJ

You're going to need to use a modified kernel for that IP35. Are you installing one? There should be a couple you can try. YMMV.

The current installation procedure assumes you'll be running the vanilla kernel, but don't think the Core 2 Quad will work with that.

The smbios.plist gets installed from the Plists folder to /Extra by the script when you do a bootloader install only. They don't get touched when doing a kext/kernel install. So, you can either modify the one in the Plists folder and run the bootloader install, or just use the plist editor to modify the plist at the location that needs the change (if it's already installed).

best of wishes,

MAJ

How do I install a modified kernel using your script?

Vanilla is working on this MB for many others check this

If you have any other audio kexts installed it will interfere and if you modified your dsdt to fix audio it will interfere.

I straight-up replaced AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler.kext with the ones from the post you linked, and they replaced the ones installed by DD's script.

Are there any other I should be on the lookout for, or what? It's still not working, sadly!