[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

arch=i386 boots SL in 32 bit mode. I suppose you have -v -x32 in your com.apple.Boot.plist file.

Replace it with arch=i386. That is where you have

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v -x32</string>

should read

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386</string>

Hope this helps

Amended com.apple.Boot.plist

I have no sound and ethernet :D

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

Audio

4) ALC889a.kext 99 N/A 72K /System

5) AppleHDA.kext 1.4.0a23 i386 1,2M /System

6) HDAEnabler.kext 1.0.0d1 i386 36K /System

Networking

10) RealtekR1000.kext 1.8.1 x86_64 204K /System

thank, thanks, thanks again to dd !!!

it was nearly that easy !! thanks for your help !!

system is booting perfect !

a little bit play with the kexts....

now everything is working (audio, video, startup)

but there are 2 problems left, i can't find a fix.

it is the crazy fsb (533 mhz) ????

i have memory with 1066 mhz installed ( from xserve)

but it is shown at 1333 mhz ???

pictures : http://www.myway.de/quazar/

what is wrong ??? what can i do ???

second question....

how can i start the system at 64 bit mode ???

in the about a mac window 64 bit is not enabled.

thanks for your answer

steve

second question....

Edit your com.apple.boot.plist using the DD script.

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-x32</string>

will boot 64 bit

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

will boot 32 bit

Or you can also enter these strings during the boot.

I think this is mentioned it the first post in this thread, which you should read in its entirety.

Oh, my.... 10.6.1 already.

Two things I've noticed so far: sound doesn't work and also the Ethernet port doesn't seem to work (not recognized in System Preferences -> Network).

I also get some ”CMOS Post Error” warning every time I restart and I get suggested to revert to the ”Know good” state.

Any ideas on this? Is my BIOS hosed in some way?

I'm glad I'm not alone. I feel like I've spent the better part of the past 16 hours trying various solutions to getting sound to work and have gotten nowhere. At one point, I got less than nowhere and had to reboot into safe mode and remove the offending kexts.

At this point, I'm just looking for a simple solution to the sound problem -- am I better off just getting a PCI card with drivers that are known to work (if there is such a thing)? I've got the Gigabyte EX58-UD3R board, and can't get the sound system pref. to recognize anything.

I also get the CMOS Post Error every time. It's a pain to constantly have to tell BIOS to, yes, use the setup that I want it to use in spite of the checksum error.

Finally, and I know this is a newbie question, but is there a way I can have it boot with the "arch=i386" instruction automatically put in there rather than having to type it in all the time I reboot? It seems to be necessary (I was hoping after booting it up successfully into Snow the first time the problem would go away), because without it, I get very basic video (it's clear that my GTX9800 is ignored without the arch=i386 line), and Snow won't recognize the 802.11n card either.

Otherwise, thanks so much to this website for all the instruction. The lifehacker instructions just didn't work for me (to be fair, I was using an i7 setup, not the precise 'shopping list' suggested at that site) -- I kept getting UUID error 35s that would never go away.

--TD

<snip>

but there are 2 problems left, i can't find a fix.

it is the crazy fsb (533 mhz) ????

i have memory with 1066 mhz installed ( from xserve)

but it is shown at 1333 mhz ???

second question....

thanks for your answer

steve

The FSB figure is merely cosmetic, but can be resolved by modifying the "SMmemspeed" string in the smbios.plist of your /Extra folder.

I'm glad I'm not alone. I feel like I've spent the better part of the past 16 hours trying various solutions to getting sound to work and have gotten nowhere. At one point, I got less than nowhere and had to reboot into safe mode and remove the offending kexts.

At this point, I'm just looking for a simple solution to the sound problem -- am I better off just getting a PCI card with drivers that are known to work (if there is such a thing)? I've got the Gigabyte EX58-UD3R board, and can't get the sound system pref. to recognize anything.

I also get the CMOS Post Error every time. It's a pain to constantly have to tell BIOS to, yes, use the setup that I want it to use in spite of the checksum error.

Finally, and I know this is a newbie question, but is there a way I can have it boot with the "arch=i386" instruction automatically put in there rather than having to type it in all the time I reboot? It seems to be necessary (I was hoping after booting it up successfully into Snow the first time the problem would go away), because without it, I get very basic video (it's clear that my GTX9800 is ignored without the arch=i386 line), and Snow won't recognize the 802.11n card either.

Otherwise, thanks so much to this website for all the instruction. The lifehacker instructions just didn't work for me (to be fair, I was using an i7 setup, not the precise 'shopping list' suggested at that site) -- I kept getting UUID error 35s that would never go away.

--TD

The CMOS reset issue can be fixed by running the DSDT patcher. It includes the needed CMOS reset fix.

The "arch=i386" boot flag can be added to your boot.plist as a kernel flag. Go to Modify plists and select the boot.plist your install is using and add that string to the Kernel Flags key.

---------------------------------------------

An script update has been posted to the front page.

UUID fixes, EFI boot improvements, etc.

kind regards,

MAJ

I also spent hours trying to get sound to work -- I could only get my 2 front speakers working. Then I realized my subwoofer, center, and surround speakers had been muted for some reason on the control hub. They had been working all along! Doh!

Current setup:

• 32-bit kernel. 64-bit not tested yet.

• Working ethernet with bonjour using Psystar's latest Realtek driver. Sleep works sometimes but with occasional KPs.

• Fully working GTX260 via EFI string.

• Working 5.1 surround via ACL889a.kext and DSDT patch mentioned here (get DTGP code here). Software on the Z5500 speaker hub emulates the surround speaker channel. Without ALC889a.kext you can use AppleHDA and setup and aggregate device with all 6 speakers using Audio MIDI Setup -- the downside of this is you can't control the master volume from the keyboard. I will eventually try DD's more minimalistic patch and edit this post with the results.

• Firewire and USB is all good. Currently half-way through transferring 1TB over FW to my RocketRAID. HighPoint drivers are only available for Leopard but they work fine in 10.6 (but I haven't got the web interface to work yet).

• No shutdown!! This is frustrating because I've tried all the configurations that have claimed to have this working, but regardless of my kexts every time I hit "ShutDown" the system will reboot. Restart works, though. The closest I could come to correct behavior was to use a 32-bit version of Psystar's OpenHaltRestart kext, but then the machine just hung on shutdown as well as restart.

Edit:

Had to run

defaults -currentHost write -globalDomain AppleFontSmoothing -int 1

to get proper LCD font smoothing on my Dell 2209WA.

Script feedback:

This is an awesomely powerful script and I thank all of you for all the hard work that's gone into it! That being said, it has some drawbacks.

• Why does it delete my Terminal settings by default? I'm a programmer with a highly customized Terminal -- not everyone uses the default "Pro" setting! Ghaaaah! If you're really that worried about color consistency you should be using ncurses.

• The script will attempt to install hidden kexts. In particular, I ran this from my USB drive which generated backup files like "._AppleHDA.kext." The script should ignore dot files such as this.

• Behavior is inconsistent. Sometimes when entering an option I need to press enter to move on to the next screen; other times I hit one key, the script automatically sends me to the next screen, and, before I can realize what's happened, I hit enter and accept whatever the default value is for the new screen. I can understand how that speeds up debugging tasks that you need to run over and over, but it was initially very confusing.

I also spent hours trying to get sound to work -- I could only get my 2 front speakers working. Then I realized my subwoofer, center, and surround speakers had been muted for some reason on the control hub. They had been working all along! Doh!

Current setup:

• Working 5.1 surround via ACL889a.kext and DSDT patch mentioned here (get DTGP code here). Software on the Z5500 speaker hub emulates the surround speaker channel. Without ALC889a.kext you can use AppleHDA and setup and aggregate device with all 6 speakers using Audio MIDI Setup -- the downside of this is you can't control the master volume from the keyboard. I will eventually try DD's more minimalistic patch and edit this post with the results.

Hi,

how did you get 5.1 surround sound working? Could you pm or post some kind of tutorial about what you exactly modified in the DSDT patch/which settings/which connectors where? I would be really grateful ;)

Thanks ;)

Amended com.apple.Boot.plist

I have no sound and ethernet ;)

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

Audio

4) ALC889a.kext 99 N/A 72K /System

5) AppleHDA.kext 1.4.0a23 i386 1,2M /System

6) HDAEnabler.kext 1.0.0d1 i386 36K /System

Networking

10) RealtekR1000.kext 1.8.1 x86_64 204K /System

The arch=i386 boot flag is for the chameleon bootloader. If u r using the PC EFI version, this will be ignored. I dont really know the difference between our boards so I cannot say why your sound and ethernet are not working. I have read on other posts where users with your board uses patched Apple.HDA kexts or DSDT with hacked sound and ethernet.

If you are interested, I can upload my extra folder for you to try on your board, that is if you are using chameleon with extra install method. Just let me know.

Cheers

• Why does it delete my Terminal settings by default? I'm a programmer with a highly customized Terminal -- not everyone uses the default "Pro" setting! Ghaaaah! If you're really that worried about color consistency you should be using ncurses.

It's been noted. I'll look into that.

• The script will attempt to install hidden kexts. In particular, I ran this from my USB drive which generated backup files like "._AppleHDA.kext." The script should ignore dot files such as this.

Is this on a HFS formatted drive? I'm not aware of where this is happening. Where are these 'hidden' kexts coming from? Are you actually renaming kexts with the dot prefix, with the intention that they be ignored? I didn't foresee this unusual behavior, so didn't script it in. Additionally, I don't make a habit of listing such dot files or doing "ls -la" in the Terminal.

• Behavior is inconsistent. Sometimes when entering an option I need to press enter to move on to the next screen; other times I hit one key, the script automatically sends me to the next screen, and, before I can realize what's happened, I hit enter and accept whatever the default value is for the new screen. I can understand how that speeds up debugging tasks that you need to run over and over, but it was initially very confusing.

In places where there are less than 10 options to choose from, I typically use a single keystroke to move forward. As the features in the script grew, some options became more than 9, and single keystrokes could no longer be accepted for input, obviously. Yes, it's inconsistent. I may do something about it. Maybe. ;)

regards,

MAJ

I have succeeded install 10.6, but desktop does not see harddisk icon,

mobo:Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P

pls hlep

Typical SL issue on new install. Go into finder preferences, click the general tab and just check the hard disk check box. That should fix your problem.

Is anyone getting the "FireWire GUID 0000000000000000 is invalid!" constantly in the system log? I installed 10.5.8 with the newest script from this thread on an ex58-ud5. Running BIOS F9e. Even my Kalyway 10.5.2 install gives me this error. All of my firewire ports work. I have an SIIG TI firewire 400 card and it works as well. ;)

Also -- thanks for your work DD ;)

Typical SL issue on new install. Go into finder preferences, click the general tab and just check the hard disk check box. That should fix your problem.

fixed, Thx...

but have more problems,

1, Time Capsule can't connect.

2, Disk Utility show (Error- No installer packages)

---------------------------------------------

An script update has been posted to the front page.

UUID fixes, EFI boot improvements, etc.

kind regards,

MAJ

Modest after all that work hey ! :D

This is a SUPERSCRIPT

:unsure:

Thanks,Thanks,Thanks,Thanks,Thanks,Thanks,Thanks,Thanks,Thanks,Thanks,Thanks,Tha

nks,

Hey, just wondering if somebody could please help me out...

Every time I boot into 32-bit Snow Leopard I get kernel panic randomly after 1-5 minutes.

For the short time it works, everything works perfectly using the supplied kexts.

The KP does not occur in 64-bit mode. I would just use 64-bit mode BUT my wireless card won't work in 64-bit mode.

Iv'e followed the instructions and am pretty confident I did it all right.

eg. Booted in -s and used Buildcaches.

installed BSD.pkg.

Disabled Spotlight to avoid that KP.

Im pretty sure it's differnt KP to the Spotlight one.

Attached is a photo of the actually KP error.

noob0009.th.jpg

Any help would be highly appreciated...

Thanks

Ben.

GA-EX58-DS4

Core i7 920

NVIDIA GTX280

TP-Link TL-WN851N Wireless

fixed, Thx...

but have more problems,

1, Time Capsule can't connect.

2, Disk Utility show (Error- No installer packages)

RE: Time Capsule

Do you have a working network with wireless connectivity?

RE: Permissions in Disk Utility

You'll need to install the BSD.pkg referred to on the front page.

ibaniban,

Have you tried updating the boot caches while in SL, not Single-User mode?

MAJ

@LocusOfControl

I installed PC-EFI 10.3 and am now using your Ethernet kext, and I have working ethernet in 64-bit now! However, I'm still getting bonjour problems. I can connect to my PC fine through my MacBook, but doesn't work in the reverse direction. It just says 'Failed to connect' at the top.

BUT what's different than before is that it shows the correct icon for my MacBook beside it in Finder. I noticed you use the EFI method, maybe that has something to do with it?

This ongoing bonjour problem baffles me... Any ideas?

Oops. Looks like my sharing was set up incorrectly, Bonjour works! Thanks so much man, I now have a fully working SL! Sleep, perfect sound, 64-bit, ethernet, Bonjour - everything.

@LocusOfControl

I installed PC-EFI 10.3 and am now using your Ethernet kext, and I have working ethernet in 64-bit now! However, I'm still getting bonjour problems. I can connect to my PC fine through my MacBook, but doesn't work in the reverse direction. It just says 'Failed to connect' at the top.

BUT what's different than before is that it shows the correct icon for my MacBook beside it in Finder. I noticed you use the EFI method, maybe that has something to do with it?

This ongoing bonjour problem baffles me... Any ideas?

Oops. Looks like my sharing was set up incorrectly, Bonjour works! Thanks so much man, I now have a fully working SL! Sleep, perfect sound, 64-bit, ethernet, Bonjour - everything.

Nice :-)

Here comes the questions.

Did u use DD's default kexts but only replaced the realtek1000 kext with the one from Steve's post?

Nice :-)

Here comes the questions.

Did u use DD's default kexts but only replaced the realtek1000 kext with the one from Steve's post?

Well I'm not completely sure how I did it. But I completely reinstalled OS X using DD's latest script (with PC-EFI 10.3) then I used some of the kexts that DD provided with the script, plus all the additional ones for my board (UD3R). I used Locus' IONetworkingFamily.kext he uploaded and set that to install to S/L/E. I booted in 32-bit first of all because I was messing with the GPU enabler that's part of the new PC-EFI, then once I had fixed that I tried booting 64-bit.

From this point I'm not entirely sure how I got it working, because it wasn't working on first boot; it was detected, but not resolving my IP address (same problem I had before). So I deleted Ethernet service from Preferences, turned off, pulled the power, switch everything back on (in 32-bit mode) and re-added the Ethernet service, exported my settings just in case. THEN I rebooted again (into 64-bit) and it just worked perfectly somehow, without even importing my saved settings. So I guess it must have been to do with resetting my machine (powering off completely for 10 secs).

What I would suggest you do is, export your ethernet settings from 32-bit, change boot options to 64-bit. Then remove the service, power down your computer, reboot and then add a new service in Network Prefs. and ethernet should be there. Then if it isn't working correctly try importing your settings from 32-bit mode.

RE: Time Capsule

Do you have a working network with wireless connectivity?

(to the OP, not to MAJ) IMHO your Time Capsule is unhappy because Bonjour is unhappy. Not sure what the best fix for Bonjour is but if one reads through this entire thread several solutions are offered. In a perfect world the default install would yield working Bonjour. Can anyone summarize why Bonjour goes wrong and the best of the various ways to fix it?

arch=i386 boots SL in 32 bit mode. I suppose you have -v -x32 in your com.apple.Boot.plist file.

Replace it with arch=i386. That is where you have

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v -x32</string>

should read

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

Hope this helps

Thank you that seems to have worked! :thumbsup_anim:

Hi All,

This may be my first post, but I've been reading this forum for years (the original leopard topic since december) and have always found the answers I need to get my Hackintosh running.

I've run into an issue with Ethernet I can't see to find a resolution to, but first I'll outline my hardware & setup.

Hardware

Mobo: GA-EX58-Extreme

CPU: i7 965XE

Ram: 12 GB G.Skill 1600

Video: 8800 GTS

System

EFI 10.3 /w graphic flag "y" in boot.plist

Mike's kext's in E/E (w/ DSDT audio/CMOS patch) and a modified IONetworkingFamily.kext (RealtekR1000.kext in Plugins Folder. Plugins folder has all kext except nvenet.kext & RealtekR1000.kext stripped out)

I'm able to have OS 10.6.1 detect ethernet by doing the following:

Coldboot + -f boot flag (this will find both ethernet controllers, but I'm using the "top" port which is usually detected as en1

the issue is that when I reboot en1 will say its not connected. I do get a link light however....

Does anyone know what might be causing this? its the only thing holding me back from finishing my install.

Maj: A question about the DSDT patch you talked about adding to your new script, but weren't able to - are you including this from someone elses findings/work, or were you building this from scratch? Just want to know if there is a way that I could patch DSDT to resolve my issue, and if there is a procedure for it that already exists. (haven't found anything so far)

Thanks to anyone who has some advice

Cheers,

ash