[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

Works fine here with Nvidia 9600 GT 512MB card. No gfx string needed for full support & proper recognition as a PCI card in system profiler. Will try with my ATI HD 4850 later on.

Which Bootloader (and version) are you using?

Leopard or Snow Leopard?

Can you post your com.apple.Boot.plist from /Extra?

Our cards are reasonably similar. I've never been able to get this to work without using an EFI string or injector kext. I'm curious to see how you got this to work. Thanks.

Leopard or Snow Leopard?

Our cards are reasonably similar. I've never been able to get this to work without using an EFI string or injector kext. I'm curious to see how you got this to work. Thanks.

Hi FUT1L1TY

I use a GTX 285 without efi strings as this approach never seems to work for me. I have the Graphics enabler key string set to yes. I have attached my com.apple.Boot.plist from my SL install with Chameleon 2 RC3. Hope this helps.

com.apple.Boot.zip

Bonjour observation

My bonjour has always worked out of the box on two installs of SL. I was testing the new EFI (and previously Evoenabler)

on my spare install. Having removed the new EFI and putting everything back re kexts I noticed that no bonjour services

are running so something must have changed my config.

Previously I downloaded a small app called bonjour browser which shows registered services

The first screen shot shows what was registered initially when I first installed. Second is now, third is after

manually turning stuff on in prefs and itunes (haven't found the setting to turn on airport yet or perhaps delete

a plist in some preference folder?)

My main SL install that I use from day to day is fine (last screenshot)

So bonjour does work with realtek kext as before and with out any promiscuous fiddling

You turn these on/off via the sharing menu in system preferences and itunes preferences

regards

Steve

post-383752-1253698324_thumb.png

post-383752-1253697966_thumb.png

post-383752-1253698388_thumb.png

post-383752-1253699538_thumb.png

Hi,

I want to Install Snow in RAID using the Follow Guide Which I used to install 10.5.8 suscefully:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=160467

only thing that stop me is I don't understand why there is two plist in Modify plsit?

One "For KEXT Installer" script an another in Extra Folder. I 'm familiar with com.apple.boot.plist in the extra Folder but not with the installer one please help me to know where is locate and understand why two? so I can do my Software Raid . Thanks

Leopard or Snow Leopard?

I use PC EFI V10.3

Running Snow Leopard 10.6.1

<dict>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>1</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>y</string>

</dict>

Script flow change request:

Flow of option 8 "Modify plists"

Current behavior:

Type "8" from main menu - plist selection menu is displayed.

(request an option to exit to main menu)

Type any available number for plist editing - plist file content is displayed.

Type "e" to exit plist editor - user is returned to main menu.

(request that user be returned to plist selection menu)

I will often use option 8 to simply inspect several plist files without modification. It would save a few keystrokes if the script didn't return to the main menu after exiting from a specific plist.

Of course, I'm not so arrogant to believe that my workflow is best for all, so do what you think is best!

Thanks!

-Lyle

I thought about changing this behavior, too, as I'm constantly exiting out and back in for another plist. But, I needed that little push from someone else to make the move. Thanks!

MAJ

Hi,

I want to Install Snow in RAID using the Follow Guide Which I used to install 10.5.8 suscefully:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=160467

only thing that stop me is I don't understand why there is two plist in Modify plsit?

One "For KEXT Installer" script an another in Extra Folder. I 'm familiar with com.apple.boot.plist in the extra Folder but not with the installer one please help me to know where is locate and understand why two? so I can do my Software Raid . Thanks

The plists in the script's Plists folder is where they all come from. If you modify any of those plists there, they will be copied over to your install during the bootloader install. If there are changes you wish to make and they're the type of changes that you'd want to apply on all your installs, then this is the plist to modify.

Speaking of which, I'll need to remove the "Kext" wording, as they are no longer installed with the kexts, but only on a bootloader install.

MAJ

I am running 10.6.1 and like most my mobileme isn't working any more. Everything else is great. I have tried to add my UUID to various .plist files and still no mobile me.

DD is your next version of the script going to solve this problem? should I wait or can someone help me get it working.

thanks

Request for help from UD5 owners

I have installed a test install of Snow Leopard on an external USB drive but when connected the UD5 won't even POST.

Disabling USB 1.0 in BIOS enables POST and boot but subsequently knocks out my Apple Aluminum keyboard at the chameleon bootloader. I'm on f8 BIOS and I'm pretty sure this didn't happen with earlier BIOS's although I'm not 100% sure.

Could somebody please test and see if they can get the UD5 to post with a USB drive connected and USB 1.0 Enabled in BIOS.

Thanks for any help. At the moment the old fail-safe of a USB maintenance drive has become pretty useless.

I just got the retail snow kitty install to work for me and NVInject gave me 256mb of vid card when I should have 512mb, the other problem is I can't seem to get the ethernet card to be recognized.

It's taken me 3 days to get here and Kalyway 10.5 works jsut fine on another drive. Gah please help!

I'm not so worried about the video not a big deal, but the ethernet is huge!

Specs:

X58-UD4P

Nvidia 9800 GT 512MB

<br><b>Request for help from UD5 owners</b><br><br>I have installed a test install of Snow Leopard on an external USB drive but when connected the UD5 won't even POST.<br><br>Disabling USB 1.0 in BIOS enables POST and boot but subsequently knocks out my Apple Aluminum keyboard at the chameleon bootloader. I'm on f8 BIOS and I'm pretty sure this didn't happen with earlier BIOS's although I'm not 100% sure.<br><br>Could somebody please test and see if they can get the UD5 to post with a USB drive connected and USB 1.0 Enabled in BIOS.<br><br>Thanks for any help. At the moment the old fail-safe of a USB maintenance drive has become pretty useless.<br>
<br><br>Actually strangely enough I hope that I can help you as I just finally got my usb drives to post. For the UD4P enable ACHI in both the top and the bottom of the bios menu under peripherals. You MUST make sure that it's plugged in on boot so the AHCI will realize it, and make sure you hit F12 to select boot devices then go to the +Hard Drives and choose yyour device.<br>

I followed this guide and have a nicely working Snow Leopard. Many thanks to DD !

Now has anybody managed to dual boot with Windows 7 64-bit on a separate hdd ?

hit F12 at boot and choose the hdd you want.

with chameleon, it should work as well :)

I did something that I thought would work... turns out nope!

I have a VelociRaptor drive that I had Leopard on, so when I installed Snow Leopard I used this guide and installed it to an extra drive I had laying around. The install went well, and I was booted off it and updated to 10.6.1 just fine. I then used Migration Assistant to copy over all my apps/settings from Leopard to the extra drive and it worked.

Then, since the VelociRaptor is much faster, I tried using Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the extra drive to the VelociRaptor. Then I ran the install script and installed Chameleon RC3 and made the partition active.

Tried booting off of it, and it hangs forever after some seemingly random messages. I can boot fine into single user mode, but it never gets past the boot sequence otherwise.

Attached are the last messages I see before it hangs, the ^C^C^C^C etc is me seeing if I can magically make it work :(

post-415632-1253822414_thumb.jpg

I did something that I thought would work... turns out nope!

I have a VelociRaptor drive that I had Leopard on, so when I installed Snow Leopard I used this guide and installed it to an extra drive I had laying around. The install went well, and I was booted off it and updated to 10.6.1 just fine. I then used Migration Assistant to copy over all my apps/settings from Leopard to the extra drive and it worked.

Then, since the VelociRaptor is much faster, I tried using Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the extra drive to the VelociRaptor. Then I ran the install script and installed Chameleon RC3 and made the partition active.

Tried booting off of it, and it hangs forever after some seemingly random messages. I can boot fine into single user mode, but it never gets past the boot sequence otherwise.

Attached are the last messages I see before it hangs, the ^C^C^C^C etc is me seeing if I can magically make it work :P

I had the same issue when I made both my internal drive and my external drive set as active. My solution was just to reinstall Chameleon and not set the partition as active. I think stuff gets confused when you set the partition as active and there's only one partition on the drive.

Ryan

I followed this guide and have a nicely working Snow Leopard. Many thanks to DD !

Now has anybody managed to dual boot with Windows 7 64-bit on a separate hdd ?

It does make a difference if you installed Windows first or second. If you installed Windows second or happen need to re-install Windows there is a script or file that you need to find in order for it to boot properly with AHCI. This goes for Vista and 7. Just google "ahci windows 7" and you should be able to find it. You can go the f12 route but that gets annoying.

Dual boot no problem with W7 64bit, no need to select in bios. I have Snow on the primary boot drive and windows on other physical drive which I am able to select in Chameleon. I did install windows first although I don't know if this has any significance.

The way to get it to work is you unplug your mac drive when installing windows then just plug it back in after and you can use cham to select which os to boot

hello all

i've been trying this guide for the past couple of days

i have managed to do all the steps and boot into snow with -v arch=i386 flags

go through the set up process and get to the desktop

first thing i do is disable spotlight by moving the snow drive to Systemprefrences/Spotlight/Privacy

then i run the kext/kernel installer again and move the kexts and reboot

after i reboot i get stuck

i get to the bootloader

stars loading kexts i get as far as DSMOS has arrived

then a few lines after that it just hangs, the last two lines been

kext com.apple.Dont_Steal_Mac_OS_X module stop pointer is outside of kext range (stop 0x7ef86053 -kext at 0x7f119000-0x7f11f000)

kext com.apple.Dont_Steal_Mac_OS_X can't load - module stop returned 0xdc008007

any one have any ideas please?

i've installed and reinstalled heaps and ge stuck on the same thing.

thank you

my specs

Gigabyte EX58-UD4P

i7 920

ati 512mb 4870

12gb G-Skill ram

Hi

Just to let folks know.

64 bit, video, sound, lan, bonjour works with combination of PC EFI v3 & patched IONetworkingFamily.kext.

My airport network inc time capsule is detected and I'm typing this from a 64bit SL.

Noticed that my 4870 benchmarks improved just over 5% in 64 bit mode

apologies if you know this already

regards

Steve

PS I did a clean install last night leaving, erasing my disk0s2 but leaving my EFI on disk0s1,

noticed I kept getting "waiting for root device" - erasing the disk changes the UUID and if different from

the value in boot.plist you get a hang in the boot (disks power down). I accepted partitioning would change

the uuid, didn't realise erasing would

Sheesh... weird problems. Now my system won't boot in 32-bit, which is kind of useless since audio and networking both don't work. 64-bit boots nicely, but whenever I add the boot flag "arch=i386" booting hangs indefinitely after some com_parallels_kext_prl_vnic_device_0 stuff. I don't think that's what's hanging it up though, but I have no idea what it could actually be.

Any advice to get it going, either networking/audio in 64-bit or normal 32-bit?

Damn Hackintosh, giving me issues! :)

Edit: I guess I'd be all set if I got my networking working in 64-bit... I hear it's possible when using PC_EFI, is it?

Hi

Just to let folks know.

64 bit, video, sound, lan, bonjour works with combination of PC EFI v3 & patched IONetworkingFamily.kext.

My airport network inc time capsule is detected and I'm typing this from a 64bit SL.

Noticed that my 4870 benchmarks improved just over 5% in 64 bit mode

apologies if you know this already

regards

Steve

PS I did a clean install last night leaving, erasing my disk0s2 but leaving my EFI on disk0s1,

noticed I kept getting "waiting for root device" - erasing the disk changes the UUID and if different from

the value in boot.plist you get a hang in the boot (disks power down). I accepted partitioning would change

the uuid, didn't realise erasing would

Hi Steve,

Can you post your modified kext(s) that allowed you to do this? I'd like to do some testing on a separate hard drive in 64-bit mode. Thanks!

I'm kinda embarassed to ask this but I'm just about to order my hardware to build a UD5 i7 hackintosh and I'm having problems understanding the instructions at the beginning of this thread. Can anyone point me to a dummy's guide to help me get this going? I know it's a really noob question - just hope someone has the patience to point me in the right direction.

Many thanks,

Doc

ps. im really blushing as i write this post as i do realise it's a realllly dumb one. However, I'm desperate to get this working - have wanted to use os x for ages.

I'm kinda embarassed to ask this but I'm just about to order my hardware to build a UD5 i7 hackintosh and I'm having problems understanding the instructions at the beginning of this thread. Can anyone point me to a dummy's guide to help me get this going? I know it's a really noob question - just hope someone has the patience to point me in the right direction.

Many thanks,

Doc

ps. im really blushing as i write this post as i do realise it's a realllly dumb one. However, I'm desperate to get this working - have wanted to use os x for ages.

everyone starts from scratch. I read through this board about 4-5 months before I tried my first install (bought my i7-rig because of this thread :hysterical: ).

But with try & error it's easier than just theoretical reading.

First of all I would recommend downloading an easy-to-handle distro like kalyway, iDeneb or iAtkos. Install one of them on one of your (empty) hdd.

Boot into that an start D_D's script as described (you need a (Snow) Leopard _retail_ DVD /or DVD-image).

Just follow the instructions and if you're stuck - just come back here :)

Installing a hackintosh needs much time and care :)

I definitely need your kexts :D !! Thanks for sharing

hello all

i've been trying this guide for the past couple of days

i have managed to do all the steps and boot into snow with -v arch=i386 flags

go through the set up process and get to the desktop

first thing i do is disable spotlight by moving the snow drive to Systemprefrences/Spotlight/Privacy

then i run the kext/kernel installer again and move the kexts and reboot

after i reboot i get stuck

i get to the bootloader

stars loading kexts i get as far as DSMOS has arrived

then a few lines after that it just hangs, the last two lines been

kext com.apple.Dont_Steal_Mac_OS_X module stop pointer is outside of kext range (stop 0x7ef86053 -kext at 0x7f119000-0x7f11f000)

kext com.apple.Dont_Steal_Mac_OS_X can't load - module stop returned 0xdc008007

1. Do you install from Leopard or Snow Leo?

2. At your first boot - did you start with -s and "buildcache" ?

3. maybe you can try the PC-EFI method..

I cannot help you with this error-code because I'm new at this as well.

Good Luck

Hey LocusOfControl,

Obviously I'm eager to obtain the kexts you used, as are a lot of other people. I have a few questions though, as well!

Am I right that you have an EX58-UD3R board? Also, when you say you have a patched IONetworkingFamily.kext, where did you get it from? I previously used the kext available from Realktek's site (in 32-bit mode) and it worked, but pretty poorly.

Last one, I promise! Are you still using a GPU enabler such as EVOEnabler.kext? I hear PC-EFI V3 can now post GPUs or something.

And a question for DD, when are we likely to see the newest PC-EFI as part of your script?

Thanks a lot!

Hey LocusOfControl,

Obviously I'm eager to obtain the kexts you used, as are a lot of other people. I have a few questions though, as well!

Am I right that you have an EX58-UD3R board? Also, when you say you have a patched IONetworkingFamily.kext, where did you get it from? I previously used the kext available from Realktek's site (in 32-bit mode) and it worked, but pretty poorly.

Last one, I promise! Are you still using a GPU enabler such as EVOEnabler.kext? I hear PC-EFI V3 can now post GPUs or something.

And a question for DD, when are we likely to see the newest PC-EFI as part of your script?

Thanks a lot!

Hi

I have an EX58-UD5 with f9 bios...

I started off by recompiling the xcode project from the Psystar site in 64 bit, this compiled with a small edit

and manually loaded without errors but it wasn't getting the mac address and I kept getting static IP addresses in the

169 range. I was just looking at IONetworkingFamily.kext when I noticed Ganxiao had posted a month

ago http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...05&st=2660#

Essentially he replaced the AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext (gigabit ethernet) in the plugin sub directory

with a recompiled RealtekR1000.kext (and deleted the other plugins inc the RTL8169 to prevent side effects)

So I deleted RealtekR1000.kext from /S/L/E , renamed the original IONetworkingFamily, copied in the new

version and ran 'Kext Utility' to repair permissions etc. On loading it detected a new ethernet port and

asked me to put in my router details in network preferences. Because of the lazy way I installed things

my ports are now en0 -> en3 but next time if I do things cleanly I'm sure this won't happen, it's not causing

any problems. I then went to advanced ethernet properties and changed manually to full-duplex 1000baseT

Using bonjour browser it shows all my network bonjour services running. I didn't have to do anything

here (unless you want to add extra stuff from sharing preferences)

I have a red radeon 4870 (which means its probably reference model, as opposed to blue). I've deleted

ATY_init as this doesn't run in 64 bit, I now use netkas PC EFI 10.3 (NO other non vanilla graphics kexts such

as EvoEnabler, no ATY_inits etc, No EFI strings etc - Just the PC EFI boot file in /Volumes/EFI - tip use cksum

to check you are running with the correct boot file - never assume, been caught by that a couple of times!)

I found that if you add un-neccessary kexts this can cause problems.

I HAVEN'T put the built in ethernet lines in boot.plist but DID put the graphics enable lines in.

My GPU now reports a 5% speed increase over the 32 bit GLView benchmarks.

Note I'm doing my installs by hand so if you are using scripts you may need to do things differently.

Remember if you don't pre-install the IONetworkingFamily properly it won't load at

boot and you will have to fix it by hand like me

good luck!

regards

Steve

PS This was a fresh clean install just to test the ethernet fix, no scripts or package installers run before hand,

just vanilla SL

post-383752-1253914277_thumb.png