[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this isn't the right forum, but this was the best place i thought .

Well, i created a snow leopard hackintosh with an GA-EX58-UD5 motherboard which works beautifully . But now i want to have a new set of speakers and i want to choose the Logitech X540 speakers.

Can i get a 5.1 surround sound out of these speakers on my hackintosh (using the alc889 kext and the dsdt.aml fix)? Or would i have to replace drivers? And can i set my 5.1 surround system up in Audio Midi Setup?

Also, i'm bit of a noob with those surround system. I thought there were only 3 cables to connect to my pc => Green, black and orange, right?

Thanks for that detailed post. I am planning to do a script-free install of SL very soon anyway, as I wanted to test the new PC-EFI for GPU/Ethernet posting and to try and get ethernet working properly in general.

Can I also ask what kexts you're using? I will probably go for the following, which is the same as I have at the moment;

current-kexts.png

Could I be really demanding and ask for your IONetworkingFamily.kext to use?

Again, thanks a lot!

Note: I assume as RealtekR1000.kext worked on my board too, your Ethernet solution should work too. Time will tell I guess...

Thanks for that detailed post. I am planning to do a script-free install of SL very soon anyway, as I wanted to test the new PC-EFI for GPU/Ethernet posting and to try and get ethernet working properly in general.

Can I also ask what kexts you're using? I will probably go for the following, which is the same as I have at the moment;

current-kexts.png

Could I be really demanding and ask for your IONetworkingFamily.kext to use?

Again, thanks a lot!

Note: I assume as RealtekR1000.kext worked on my board too, your Ethernet solution should work too. Time will tell I guess...

From existing SL install

Kept previous chamelion install on EFI, Erased disk0s2 - note this changes the UUID so update boot.plist

Fresh install from retail DVD onto disk0s2, remember to copy fresh chameleon boot file to /boot .

I'm using GUID.

My EFI (disk0s1) is set up as in the following pics. currently running with a copy of netkas boot not rc3

bash-3.2# cksum boot
1879202578 307968 boot

Only non SL kexts are as in the /EFI/Extra/Extensions folder (I didn't bother with the kext to fix the orange disks, I

have that on my 32 regular install, sound is via DSDT, but I only have really old 4.1 speakers)

In /S/L/E swapped the original IONetworkingFamily for this one (back up your old one first), nothing else added.

(This is Ganxiao's kext as he posted it - untouched by me)

I originally did this from my 32 bit install but I get lazy updating caches etc so didn't load ethernet at boot

I had to load using kext utility to do the repairs after booting resulting in an extra en3 port!

Probably a good idea to update caches etc first.

regards

Steve

Update - sorry uploaded wrong file, here is the one I'm using (it's late ;- )

post-383752-1253922157_thumb.png

post-383752-1253922185_thumb.png

post-383752-1253922204_thumb.png

IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

From existing SL install

Kept previous chamelion install on EFI, Erased disk0s2 - note this changes the UUID so update boot.plist

Fresh install from retail DVD onto disk0s2, remember to copy fresh chameleon boot file to /boot .

I'm using GUID.

My EFI (disk0s1) is set up as in the following pics. currently running with a copy of netkas boot not rc3

bash-3.2# cksum boot
1879202578 307968 boot

Only non SL kexts are as in the /EFI/Extra/Extensions folder (I didn't bother with the kext to fix the orange disks, I

have that on my 32 regular install, sound is via DSDT, but I only have really old 4.1 speakers)

In /S/L/E swapped the original IONetworkingFamily for this one (back up your old one first), nothing else added.

(This is Ganxiao's kext as he posted it - untouched by me)

I originally did this from my 32 bit install but I get lazy updating caches etc so didn't load ethernet at boot

I had to load using kext utility to do the repairs after booting resulting in an extra en3 port!

Probably a good idea to update caches etc first.

regards

Steve

PS

bash-3.2# cksum RealtekR1000.kext.zip
3279505156 37770 RealtekR1000.kext.zip
bash-3.2# 

I used the Realtek 2.0.3 kext for my network in /E/E and that did work fine except that network was lost after closing any guestOS in VMware or Virtualbox. Finally this RealtekR1000.kext fixed it!

Network is running even after closing guestOS :thumbsdown_anim::)

Thanks!

BiTRiP

Which one? Did you intentionally attach RealtekR1000? Did you not say you don't use that? Thanks.

Sorry - my mistake, I've updated the file now - if you drill into it you will see that the plugin dir only

contains 1 kext

Here is the proper thread I should have ref.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...183877&hl=#

As I say, I have an EX58-UD5 and it works for me!

everyone starts from scratch. I read through this board about 4-5 months before I tried my first install (bought my i7-rig because of this thread :thumbsup_anim: ).

But with try & error it's easier than just theoretical reading.

First of all I would recommend downloading an easy-to-handle distro like kalyway, iDeneb or iAtkos. Install one of them on one of your (empty) hdd.

Boot into that an start D_D's script as described (you need a (Snow) Leopard _retail_ DVD /or DVD-image).

Just follow the instructions and if you're stuck - just come back here :gun:

Installing a hackintosh needs much time and care :)

I definitely need your kexts :laser: !! Thanks for sharing

1. Do you install from Leopard or Snow Leo?

2. At your first boot - did you start with -s and "buildcache" ?

3. maybe you can try the PC-EFI method..

I cannot help you with this error-code because I'm new at this as well.

Good Luck

I have read elsewhere that there is little to no benefit from running snow in 64 bit mode. If it is going to be problematic to get 64 bit working can any of you confirm that? I wouldnt want to go through the trouble of being an early adopter if there is little performance benefit... in the near term.

Do you have to install Leopard first and then upgrade to SL

or can you just install SL? I've been trying to get SL to boot but no luck at all, it seems to kernel panic when trying to boot. and it says "No OS set" or something along those lines

Leopard is not needed before installing Snow Leopard. You can install Snow Leopard on a new hard drive no problem.

No worries, thanks so much for the help. I'll report back soon.

Just a quick note, after running all day without problem I found I couldn't get internet this morning after a

several reboots (network config : the mac address is being set to ff:ff;ff;ff etc and this is being rejected by

my airport).

It seems the lan ports go to sleep and don't get read at boot. In the end I just deleted them from network

preferences. I reset cmos and booted into my other 32 bit instance and checked that the lan was working.

Just for good measure I did a full export of my network settings for possible re-import into the 64 bit system prefs.

By good luck the ethernet ports woke up and were detected at boot (only 1 but I think that is a symptom of the

hacked IONetworkingFamiliy.kext which was for a UD4).

So now my ethernet is working again and as a test I set the ethernet to be built-in at boot.plist and is recognised as

such in system profiler as stated by netkas

So if your test doesn't work it may be because your ports are still sleeping, try deleting them, rebooting

and resetting them, they should be discovered on next reboot.

regards

Steve

post-383752-1253968314_thumb.png

I have used the X58 Leopard script on four different Gigabyte boards: EP35-DS3L, EP45-DS3L, G31M-ES2L and the X58-DS3R. The differences in kexts involve those for graphics, audio and network - graphics because of different video cards, audio due to different chipsets. The ATA and Misc kexts were not changed. I have used the X58 SL BETA script on the EP45 and G31M boards loading beta versions of SL - on those it worked but I had to remove the AppleIntelCPUManagement and AppleTyMCE kexts to boot into SL. I then needed to tweak kexts to get audio and networking to fly.

The problem you describe with the P35 board sounds like a graphics difficulty since the screen goes dark. If you have a boot.plist with the EFI string working in a Leopard install, copy that one into the X58 plist folder. I have had uneven results copying EFI strings through Terminal, so I usually generate the EFI string in OSX86Tools, copy and paste into my target boot.plist via Finder.

Generally, to use the script on a different Gigabyte board, leave the ATA and Misc kexts as is, use what you know works for graphics, leave audio and networking blank to start. Run the script (including DSDT), boot using -v and see where you get. If you are lucky it will boot into SL. Once in SL you are likely to get a KP (as I did with the G31 board). Restart, booting in single mode (-s) and build the cache as DD describes in his tutorial. Once safely in SL you can now experiment to find what works for networking and audio.

It is much easier to get things working if you use an Nvidia card instead of ATI. I have used 8400GT, 9400GT, 9500GT and 9600GT cards with EFI strings and they all work with translucent tool bars - no need for NVkush on Nvinject kexts. The ATI cards are a real bear to get working - I have a 2600xt on the P45 board with Leopard I am presently using. It requires a Natit.kext plus modifying the AppleATI2000.kext to get it to work.

I never try to make sleep work completely. All I want is the monitor to shut off, I prefer that the fans and HDs continue to work.

Everdone, many thanks. Finally got some time to try it out and my EP35-DS3P is up and running on 10.6.1. I did remove the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and AppleTyMCEDriver.kext because they were causing kernel panics on boot. I also removed all networking kexts (put them in the repository) and interestingly enough networking runs fine with no networking kexts. I suspect this is because the DSDT points Apple in the right direction. I haven't tried to fix up sound yet.

I installed from another SL install, SL to SL. (It appears that by doing so I didn't need to do the cleanup steps in the first post.) I still couldn't run the 10.6.1 update because I was on a different system. The 10.6.1 update 1. won't run on 10.5 at all and 2. insists on only updating the boot disk. Anyway then I moved the prepared installed disk to the final target system, got rid of AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and AppleTyMCEDriver.kext, touched /S/L/E, and it was Vilkommen city! OK I got rid of JMicronATA.kext because I never trusted the JMicron, but maybe its overkill.

Of some interest "This is a simple how-to check to determine if you have Quartz Extreme (QE) and Core Image (CI). It seems that OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard doesnt state that if you have both of it enabled or not. Prior to this , in order to determine if hardware acceleration was indeed working , one would take a look at System Profiler to check if both Quartz Extreme and Core Image are enabled or not. Apple has removed this functionality in OSX 10.6. Its because , all Intel Macs (yes, including Intel GMA 950) are capable of both Quartz Extreme and Core Image. There is no need to display if both of it is supported or not. Anyhow it has a major drawback for Hackintosh users , as there is no way to determine if hardware acceleration is indeed working or not. There is no way to tell by looking at system profiler , to check if your injectors such as NVEnabler or your EFI strings are working correctly or not." http://prasys.co.cc/2009/09/quartz-extreme...n-snow-leopard/

My only pain is my display is not being detected properly and I'm stuck at a 1280x1024. I am using the com.apple.boot.plist from another system with the same 9600GT card (same proven EFI string), and got ATY_Init out of the way. EDIT: I pointed DD's script at the boot.plist and it said "device is not for this system - shall I fix it". So I fixed it and now the graphics works great. Cheers, mate. Only issue now, a dozen "Can't create kext cache under / - owner not root" when I nose through the boot log in the console. I bet I can search for the solution.

Just a quick note, after running all day without problem I found I couldn't get internet this morning after a

several reboots (network config : the mac address is being set to ff:ff;ff;ff etc and this is being rejected by

my airport).

It seems the lan ports go to sleep and don't get read at boot. In the end I just deleted them from network

preferences. I reset cmos and booted into my other 32 bit instance and checked that the lan was working.

Just for good measure I did a full export of my network settings for possible re-import into the 64 bit system prefs.

By good luck the ethernet ports woke up and were detected at boot (only 1 but I think that is a symptom of the

hacked IONetworkingFamiliy.kext which was for a UD4).

So now my ethernet is working again and as a test I set the ethernet to be built-in at boot.plist and is recognised as

such in system profiler as stated by netkas

So if your test doesn't work it may be because your ports are still sleeping, try deleting them, rebooting

and resetting them, they should be discovered on next reboot.

regards

Steve

Thanks for pointing that out. That may not be a result of using that kext though, since ethernet detection seems to be an ongoing problem in SL. I've had to reset CMOS a few times after muddling with kexts, so it may just be that.

The only other thing I have experienced like that using my current kexts, is that when I left my computer for a few hours and came back, Bonjour no longer worked. No idea if that had anything to do with the promiscuous mode hack.

Anyway, thanks again

Thanks for pointing that out. That may not be a result of using that kext though, since ethernet detection seems to be an ongoing problem in SL. I've had to reset CMOS a few times after muddling with kexts, so it may just be that.

The only other thing I have experienced like that using my current kexts, is that when I left my computer for a few hours and came back, Bonjour no longer worked. No idea if that had anything to do with the promiscuous mode hack.

Anyway, thanks again

Try it without the bonjour hack, you shouldn't need it. I've never used it and not had problems

steve

I can't seem to get the audio / ethernet working in regular boot. If i use the arch=i386 everything works great. I ran the update kext and moved everything to the extra folder? Can someone tell me what i missed?

Thanks

arch=i386 boots SL in 32 bit mode. I suppose you have -v -x32 in your com.apple.Boot.plist file.

Replace it with arch=i386. That is where you have

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v -x32</string>

should read

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386</string>

Hope this helps

Firewire... anyone got it working, or not working? Not working for me.

Can you give me instructions how I can get the onboard firewire working correctly? Ive killed AppleHPET btw already.

Im still getting the warning in system profile. I hope its nothing to do with a 4ghz overclock of the 266 i7!

Also - anyone got a 285 GTX gfx card ASUS working correctly? ie Always booting up in 1680 res would be nice on the DVI port furthest away from mobo. I can swap ports after boot and it finds the correct display res... but its a royal pain. Should I kill ATY kext?

Yes, try killing ATY_Init if you are using an EFI string for graphics in your com.apple.boot.plist. Once your boot.plist is in place, take a look at it from the DD script, it runs a check on it that could fix it up.

If you go in and add ATY_Init and yank AppleHPET, be sure to rebuild the boot cache after (can do with the script).

Firewire... anyone got it working, or not working? Not working for me.

Yes, try killing ATY_Init if you are using an EFI string for graphics in your com.apple.boot.plist. Once your boot.plist is in place, take a look at it from the DD script, it runs a check on it that could fix it up.

If you go in and add ATY_Init and yank AppleHPET, be sure to rebuild the boot cache after (can do with the script).

Funny, I'm just this second using firewire to scan some slides with a nikon coolscan 4000ED, working here.

Haven't tried it with anything else

Funny, I'm just this second using firewire to scan some slides with a nikon coolscan 4000ED, working here.

Haven't tried it with anything else

I added Disabler.kext, now Firewire shows up in System Profiler as 400 Mb/sec. Boot said something about Firewire being set to full-secure mode. FCP still doesn't seem to see my camcorder but I'll keep beating on it. These are the messages I get in console. Anyway, don't mean to run us OT. This thread may be useful. http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...0&tstart=29

kernel	FireWire (OHCI) TI ID 8024 PCI now active, GUID 00ab837a00001fd0; max speed s400.
kernel	ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure.
kernel	FireWire (OHCI) TI ID 8024 PCI: no valid selfIDs for more than 3 minutes after bus reset.
... (last message repeats every few minutes)

I added Disabler.kext, now Firewire shows up in System Profiler as 400 Mb/sec. Boot said something about Firewire being set to full-secure mode. FCP still doesn't seem to see my camcorder but I'll keep beating on it.

I was using nikonscan and vuescan, firewire was working but the feeder tray wasn't working very well.

Downloaded the updated snow leopard fix for vuescan and it's working properly.

Maybe you need a SL version of your app?

MAJ,

Thanks for your awesome work. I ran a 10.5.6 system on my GA-EX58-UD5 for months until my system drive failed last week. So, I'm building a 10.6 system, and using your scripts again.

Question for anyone here: have you gotten bluetooth to work using MAJ's scripts/kexts? I've been unable to, getting the following in my console when I plug in my Microsoft USB Bluetooth adapter (to use with keyboard and mouse):

9/27/09 2:07:48 AM    kernel    [[0xa1c4000] Req OpCode 0C13 from: blued (571) status: 00 state: 2 timeout: 6000] Bluetooth warning: An HCI Req timeout occurred.
9/27/09 2:08:28 AM    kernel    [[0xa1c4000] Req OpCode 0C24 from: blued (571) status: 00 state: 2 timeout: 40000] Bluetooth warning: An HCI Req timeout occurred.

I also get the following when I try to boot with the bluetooth adapter plugged in:

E:[AppleUSBBluetoothHCIController][interruptReadHandler] Received kIOReturnAborted error - no more retries - bailing out.
IOBluetoothHCIController::terminateWL .. done

Does anyone know what these mean or how to correct them?

Also, I don't seem to be able to access my MacBook pro over the network -- is this the bonjour issue that people are discussing?

Thanks,

TGITW