[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

I can confirm that my cpu heat problem was only related to bad cooling, not Snow Leopard. Been running at 40c all day. That's awesome news, I have a **perfect** Mac Pro with everything working! Now looking at those 30" Cinema Displays to go with that! :)

Hey DD, great work on the script. It runs beautifully in kalyway.

...but I can't boot up.

During the install from my retail Snow Leopard DVD, I got an "Installation Failed" message. No idea why.

Then, when I try to boot up, it never even gets to Chameleon. After it verifies the DMI pool data, it hangs on this message:

boot0: GPT

boot0: testing

boot0: done

boot1: startupfile

I verified the smbios.plist and changed the flags in the boot.plist to -v arch=i386, all to no avail. Is there something big I'm missing here? I'd appreciate any help you can offer!

There's no evidence that there's a bootloader installed at the location the BIOS is pointing to. Make sure the BIOS is set to see the proper drive/partition via drive priority setting or drive selector <F12>.

MAJ

i cant even get this setup to boot into the kalyway install? any ideas? feel like a fool, but have spent at least 10hours reading now and am stumped, thought asking such a stupid question wouldnt harm anyone :P

i have a ga-ex59-ud5, i7 920 oc @ 3.8 (not sure if that makes a difference)6gb viper series patriot ram, PNY 9400GT. i also have a brand new unformatted hd, and a windows formatted hd. i have no access to a working mac.

retrend,

You can try a preboot CD, like one offered by blackosx's thread.

Just burn to CD and use it to boot your Install DVD.

MAJ

ok, i got to this point, it install iatkos, rebooted, but now wont boot into it. i tried the boot menu options you said, firstly -x -x32 -f, and then it goes to grey screen with apple, and the loading icon, then after a minute or so it brings up a "no entry" type icon (a circle with a line through it)

i then tried -x -x32 -f -s and it then shows u the text of all the kernels and kexts being loaded, and stops at this error:

Firewire (OHCI) TI 8024 PCI now active. GUID 007a8dbe0000241d;max speed s400

ERROR: FireWIre unable to determine security mode; defaulting to full-secure

and then it just keeps saying

Still waiting for root device

Still waiting for root device

Ill keep hunting for ideas, ill update this post if i get past it :)

Ok, congrats for coming so far. As I said you will be getting there... :-)

Don't worry about the Firewire error. You will not have the issue once you have installed SL. The iAtkos is only supposed to be your platform for preparing your new HD - nothing more.

What kind of GPU do you use?

I suggest the following next step:

a) use "-s" as boot option

:) at the prompt enter:

mount -uw /

mkdir /bckup

mv /System/Library/Extensions/ATI* /bckup

OR (if you have an NVIDIA cad)

mv /System/Library/Extensions/NV* /bckup

reboot

c) then use options -v -x -x32 arch=i386 (I am not 100% sure which bootloader iAtkos uses so by issuing -x32 and arch=i386 you make sure that the system will boot in 32bit mode)

Good luck... :-)

forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask, this is my first post. I just put together a new system and I used this guide. I used the ga-ex58-ud3r, but I've read the differences are minimal. I got it up and running, but there's definitely something wrong with my video card drivers.. or lack thereof. I have a 9600 gt which I keep reading is fully supported natively by snow leopard, but there's only one resolution choice and all the os x animations are choppy. did I miss something I was supposed to do? I can't seem to find any newer posts about this card with snow leopard, only older ones saying it will work natively.

Ok, congrats for coming so far. As I said you will be getting there... :-)
ok, ive not been away, ive been bashing my head against this all day. after mucking around from my last post, i somehow did something that set me back, and ive had a load of hassle getting the iatkos to reinstall, it kept hanging at points in the install.

i finally managed to muddle through to get to the chameleon 2 loader, and do the commands you said. kept getting kernel panics from that, so i tried it with

-v -x -x32 cpus=1 graphicsmode=nv

(im not even sure if graphics mode=nv is a real thing, but if it is, maybe it helped - the kernel panics seemed to be as graphics stuff was happening) my graphics card is a 9400GT by PNY

and now its booted, yay.

hopefully its all gonna be easy street now :D apart from never having used osx before other than for surfing and logic :D

thanks digital dreamer, those things look useful, ive bookmarked them :)

[edit]scratch that about easy street, my keyboard doesnt work lol. ill try all the ones i have round the house i guess

[super edit] microsoft 6000 works :)

There's no evidence that there's a bootloader installed at the location the BIOS is pointing to. Make sure the BIOS is set to see the proper drive/partition via drive priority setting or drive selector <F12>.

MAJ

Okay yeah, I don't know how I missed that, but that got me into Chameleon, thanks. Now, Chameleon slowly loads a billion HFS+ files, and then it goes away and it returns to white text on black, more loading... stuff like "security policy loaded" and "Waiting for DSMOS...". It arrives at the "System uptime in nanoseconds" message (over 20 billion), and then hangs there.

Is my Snow Leopard install bad? I wouldn't be surprised since there was an error when I installed it. Also, this hard drive was empty before I installed Snow Leopard on it... is something missing because there was not a pre-existing Leopard install on the partition?

Howdy MAJ,

Another feature request.

When accessing option 2, "Install bootloader," is it possible to add detection of the currently installed bootloader?

When I experiment with different bootloader versions, I sometimes foolishly lose track of which one I have installed. Typically, I just ls -l, and can tell by the file size which one I have. However, it would be handy for the script to assist me with my laziness.

I also think it might be nice to have a notice in the "install bootloader" section that warns the user that their active .plist files (boot and smbios) will be replaced by the "for kext installer" versions.

Thanks for considering my thoughts.

Best Regards,

Lyle

(still awaiting my DW42 disk)

On my ex58 system I have had no problems until a few days ago. Now when I wake up my computer in the morning I get a Kernel Panic.

Anyone else had this happen?

I'm not sure if I changed anything to bring this about. Is there information in the kernel panic that woudl tell me the root of the problem?

thanks

Okay yeah, I don't know how I missed that, but that got me into Chameleon, thanks. Now, Chameleon slowly loads a billion HFS+ files, and then it goes away and it returns to white text on black, more loading... stuff like "security policy loaded" and "Waiting for DSMOS...". It arrives at the "System uptime in nanoseconds" message (over 20 billion), and then hangs there.

Is my Snow Leopard install bad? I wouldn't be surprised since there was an error when I installed it. Also, this hard drive was empty before I installed Snow Leopard on it... is something missing because there was not a pre-existing Leopard install on the partition?

If it reported "System uptime in nanoseconds", then you got a Kernel Panic.

We'll need a lot more information. Typically, the kernel panic will reveal what kext was loading/running at the moment of the exception. This where it's a good time to take a picture of the screen for us to view and decipher.

Howdy MAJ,

Another feature request.

When accessing option 2, "Install bootloader," is it possible to add detection of the currently installed bootloader?

When I experiment with different bootloader versions, I sometimes foolishly lose track of which one I have installed. Typically, I just ls -l, and can tell by the file size which one I have. However, it would be handy for the script to assist me with my laziness.

I also think it might be nice to have a notice in the "install bootloader" section that warns the user that their active .plist files (boot and smbios) will be replaced by the "for kext installer" versions.

Thanks for considering my thoughts.

Best Regards,

Lyle

(still awaiting my DW42 disk)

Good suggestions.

I thought about the bootloader detection a long time ago, but wasn't sure how I would implement it, besides observing, as you did, the file size of "boot" at root.

Additionally, I could put a check in place so that when there are plists already in /Extra, ask if you want them replaced or not.

When testing out bootloaders, I tend to forget that the replaced plist files may not be properly setup. This can cause confusion and, even, boot failure in some cases.

I generally hate to add extra prompts in the script for fear newbies will ask what they should do. Maybe I'll set up a "Newbie" mode and a "Übergeek" mode. ;)

Thanks, again.

MAJ

ok, im finally managing to follow the steps in the actual guide, but still getting stuck fairly early on.

when im installing snow leopard from iatkos v7, the machine keeps crashing. it is doing it at random points in the install, i am installing from a mounted iso (but have tried the dvd as well)

[EDIT] OK, BY trying the same thing over and over and over again like some sort of idiot, i finally got it to successfully install. now im getting kernel panics on initial boot, my cameras on charge so i cant take a photo, but I have just looked at windtakers below, and it is the exact same kernel panic.

Maj,

Thanks for the installer. From my macbook, I set up an external drive to use to boot my new computer with an ex58-ud3r motherboard and a his hd4850 with 1 hdmi/1dvi/1 dsub hooked up to a 24" monitor.

To get the video card to work, I removed the ATY_init, added 0x94421002 to the <string>0x94401002 0x944a1002</string> line under the ATI4800Controller.kext, added Evoenabler.kext to /System/Library/Extentions, and added Graphics Mode = 19200x1200x32 to the com.apple.Boot.plist.

I hooked up the external drive to my new pc, booted up, it loaded, I configured everything, and then I used carbon copy cloner to clone the internal drive, installed a bootloader, and rebooted.

The computer is working, but I am having few issues. It isn't asking me to login, my hard drive icon isn't showing up on the desktop, and my sata dvdrom isn't recognized (though it was when I booted off of the external usb drive).

Anyway, Thanks again for the great installer,

Steve

If it reported "System uptime in nanoseconds", then you got a Kernel Panic.

We'll need a lot more information. Typically, the kernel panic will reveal what kext was loading/running at the moment of the exception. This where it's a good time to take a picture of the screen for us to view and decipher.

Okay, here's what I'm seeing. The first image is where it lingers for a second before finishing. The second image is where it stops after the kernel panic. Hope this helps!

post-419630-1255114775_thumb.jpg

post-419630-1255114790_thumb.jpg

aaaand here is another one =)

--------------------------------------

Hi all =)

I´m wondering if someone here can read out a kernel panic for me.

I have followed the instructions without any errors.

the only difference with my setup is that i´m using a GA-EX58-UD3R motherboard. But i readed somewhere that it work with this anyway.

i have iatkos one one drive that i made the install from. so i allreadey had chameleon active.. but i installed the RC3 from the "patch installer"

so i will be very happy if someone can just push me to right direction =)

thanks in advance!

greetings from sweden

97038368.jpg

I have a suggestion for those trying to install SL from 10.5.x, get Blackosx's BootCD and start from there. Please believe me it is much much simpler to install from 10.6 than from 10.5. You can find the link to his bootcd in the first post of his "10.6.1 on EP45-DSL" thread. That CD will boot the X58-UD3R (and I fully expect it will boot the other versions of that board) as I have used it on mine.

Boot from the CD, swap the SL Retail DVD for the CD, wait for the drive to read, then tap F5 (his rescan key) and select the OSXInstall DVD. Hit return and the DVD will load. Once in the SL installer you can partition the target HD. After you select the HD to install to, remember to Customize the install. Deselect the print drivers, additional fonts and translations then proceed with the install. At the end of the install, the installer will want to restart. Allow this to happen but swap the boot CD for the Install DVD such that the machine will boot into the CD. You can now select the newly installed SL to load. Once you are in SL and have set up your account run DD's installer to load your plists, bootloader and kexts. (you need to copy DDs Install folder to a flash drive so you can access it from the installed SL).

Once DD's script has completed you can remove the bootCD and reboot. You should now boot into your new SL.

You can make things a little faster if you will make a disk image of the SL Retail DVD and restore the image to a USB flash drive (at least 8gb and be sure it is 2.0). You can also copy DDs Install folder to the same flash drive. Now when you are ready to install put the bootCD in the drive and the flash drive in a USB port and boot the machine with the CD. Once the machine boots, select the OSXInstall from the USB drive and hit return. You wind up in the SL installer as with the DVD but the install will proceed faster and if you are like me and install a number of times, it is quite a time saver.

i looked into it, but i spent ages getting my overclock working, and people keep talking about the cmos resetting when using it, and im loathe to do that. seem so close now as well, that ive actually had the snow leopard installer run successfully.

aaaand here is another one =)

--------------------------------------

Hi all =)

I´m wondering if someone here can read out a kernel panic for me.

I have followed the instructions without any errors.

the only difference with my setup is that i´m using a GA-EX58-UD3R motherboard. But i readed somewhere that it work with this anyway.

i have iatkos one one drive that i made the install from. so i allreadey had chameleon active.. but i installed the RC3 from the "patch installer"

so i will be very happy if someone can just push me to right direction =)

thanks in advance!

greetings from sweden

97038368.jpg

You need to install all your kexts to System that is if you are installing from Leopard. I got the same error on my EX58-UD5. That should fix your problem

Goodluck

I tried the DSDT (without IONetworkingFamily.kext) and it doesn't work.... Did you try without IONetworkingFamily.kext? Because IONetworkingFamily.kext is enabling the LAN interface it seems...

Yes I tried it without the ionetworking kext. I reverted back to 10.5.8 now and having problems installing SL. Will keep you updated as soon as I am up and running again

You need to install all your kexts to System that is if you are installing from Leopard. I got the same error on my EX58-UD5. That should fix your problem

sorry again with these massive newb question, but to do this, do I have to go into each folder in the kexts_10.6 folder in the downloads from the guide, and then copy the files in it and place them into the system>library>extensions, then "Go into Disk Utility (Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility). Select your OS X volume and click Repair Permissions."?

sorry again with these massive newb question, but to do this, do I have to go into each folder in the kexts_10.6 folder in the downloads from the guide, and then copy the files in it and place them into the system>library>extensions, then "Go into Disk Utility (Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility). Select your OS X volume and click Repair Permissions."?

Well, you could do it that way, but all you really need to do is rerun DD's script. Make sure it is going to install to the correct drive and choose 'kext installer' (item 5). The resulting screen will indicate what kexts are to be installed and where they will be installed (either /Extra or /System). If a particular kext is not "in the right place", type its number and hit return, it will toggle between Extra and System.

Probably the biggest problem with installing SL from 10.5.x is that the kext cache cannot be created for SL when booted in 10.5 hence the need to do the initial boot using single mode and run the "bootcache" command during bootup. As I have stated before it is much simpler to install 10.6 from 10.6 which makes the availability of a BootCD a very valuable tool.

hmm, when i did what i said, i realised they were all in there already, so i guess that wasnt the problem. also, did what you said and reran step 5, just to make sure.

i think the problem is, as you say not being able to reset the bootcache. however, when i try to boot into single user mode to do so, im still getting the same kernel panic.

hmm, when i did what i said, i realised they were all in there already, so i guess that wasnt the problem. also, did what you said and reran step 5, just to make sure.

i think the problem is, as you say not being able to reset the bootcache. however, when i try to boot into single user mode to do so, im still getting the same kernel panic.

Did you remember to disable spotlight on the harddisk to where you were installing SL?

Anyone else got the Realtek 1000 working without a kext? So dsdt only?
Download and run realtek's RTGNICv2.0.3.pkg, it replaces IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext with an updated version.

Then you can remove pystar's RealtekR1000.kext.

I've had a few kernel panics using it, so it may require DSDT mods to be stable.

Here's a few to try.

1. Add to PEX4 and 5;

Device (LAN0)
               {
                   Name (_ADR, 0x00)
                   Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
                   {
                       0x0B, 
                       0x04
                   })
                   Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                   {
                       Store (Package (0x04)
                           {
                               "built-in", 
                               Buffer (0x01)
                               {
                                   0x01   
                               },
                               "device_type", 
                               Buffer (0x09)
                               {
                                   "ethernet"
                               }

}, Local0)
                       DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                       Return (Local0)
                   }
               }

or

2. Add ETH0 to PEX4 and add ETH1 to PEX5;

Device (ETH0)
               {
                   Name (_ADR, 0x00)
                   {
                       0x09, 
                       0x03
                   })
                   {
                       Store (Package (0x02)
                           {
                               "location", 
                               Buffer (0x02)
                               {
                                   "1"   
                               }
                           }, Local0)
                       Return (Local0)
                   }
               }

Device (ETH1)
               {
                   Name (_ADR, 0x00)
                   {
                       0x09, 
                       0x03
                   })
                   {
                       Store (Package (0x02)
                           {
                               "location", 
                               Buffer (0x02)
                               {
                                   "2"   
                               }
                           }, Local0)
                       Return (Local0)
                   }
               }

or

3. Add to PEX4 and 5;

Device (GIGE)
               {
                   Name (_ADR, 0x00)
                   {
                       0x09, 
                       0x03
                   })
                   Method (EWOL, 1, NotSerialized)
                   {
                       If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x01))
                       {
                           Or (GP9, 0x01, GP9)
                       }
                       Else
                       {
                           And (GP9, 0x00, GP9)
                       }

If (LEqual (Arg0, GP9))
                       {
                           Return (0x00)
                       }
                       Else
                       {
                           Return (0x01)
                       }
                   }
               }

and change;

OperationRegion (GPIO, SystemIO, 0x0800, 0x05)
                   Field (GPIO, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
                   {
                       GO01,   8, 
                       GO02,   8, 
                       GO03,   8, 
                       GO04,   8, 
                       GO05,   8
                   }

to;

OperationRegion (GPIO, SystemIO, 0x0800, 0x06)
                   Field (GPIO, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
                   {
                       GP9,      1,
                       GO01,   8, 
                       GO02,   8, 
                       GO03,   8, 
                       GO04,   8, 
                       GO05,   8
                   }

For 1 and 2 add the following before the `Method _WAK' section;

Method (DTGP, 5, NotSerialized)
   {
       If (LEqual (Arg0, Buffer (0x10)
               {
                   /* 0000 */    0xC6, 0xB7, 0xB5, 0xA0, 0x18, 0x13, 0x1C, 0x44, 
                   /* 0008 */    0xB0, 0xC9, 0xFE, 0x69, 0x5E, 0xAF, 0x94, 0x9B
               }))
       {
           If (LEqual (Arg1, One))
           {
               If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))
               {
                   Store (Buffer (One)
                       {
                           0x03
                       }, Arg4)
                   Return (One)
               }

If (LEqual (Arg2, One))
               {
                   Return (One)
               }
           }
       }

Store (Buffer (One)
           {
               0x00
           }, Arg4)
       Return (Zero)
   }

i looked into it, but i spent ages getting my overclock working, and people keep talking about the cmos resetting when using it, and im loathe to do that. seem so close now as well, that ive actually had the snow leopard installer run successfully.

If you have saved your BIOS settings, then it'll be a simple load to get it back after a reset. The reset won't erase your saved BIOS profiles.

MAJ

Did anyone try BlackOSx's boot CD on the EX58-UD5? it works for me until the point where the SL Installer should load...it starts and then my system restarts, I also get a cmos reset error.

I am guessing this has to do with a DSDT issue. Any input is more than welcome?