[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

This is being fixed, but update is not available, yet.

Revamped platform/hardware UUID setup:

• UUID injector kexts (UUID.kext or PlatformUUID.kext) are synced with UUID string in smbios.plist, if present. This will make it easy to update your UUID injectors – keep the SMUUID string current in smbios.plist
  • However, if no UUID is present in the smbios.plist, any UUID string present in the injectors is left alone
  • If you wish to have a new UUID generated, you have two options:
    • 1. Use the script to generate a new UUID for the smbios.plist (SMUUID key). This UUID string will be copied to injectors.
    • 2. Or, remove any UUID strings from injectors (do not remove key and string tags!) and smbios.plist. Script will generate a new one.

I've thought long and hard on a solution that will be the most flexible and proper, trying to fit in with everyone's wishes: You can ignore it and it'll be taken care of, or you can add it and it'll preserve it.

Again, if you wish to carry over your existing UUID, add it to the smbios.plist and that will be synced to the installed kexts on each install. Or, if you don't want to bother with the smbios.plist, you can simply add it manually to your PlatformUUID.kext (ideally, the one in your script's folders, so that it'll be available on each install) and make sure there isn't one in the smbios.plist. That UUID will be preserved.

This sound like an excellent approach to me. Thanks again for all your hard work on this.

Colddiver

I have mine connected directly to mobo and on occasion I experience a missing keyboard and must unplug/plug. Odd thing, as I didn't have this issue at all until I installed a ATI 4870x2 a couple days ago (just to get CI/QE goodness! :D ).

regards,

MAJ

Same here, i have the ATI 4870 and quite often i have to unplug the mouse OR keyb depending on which one doesn't work during boot up.

also i noticed that in the Chameleon boot screen, if you type really fast the letters don't come out as your type. you have to generally type really slow.

I don't know if anyone has experienced missing USB mouse and keybord at boot and Chameleon boot screen when both are from Apple and the mouse is connected to the keyboard USB port even you have the newer F8x and F9x bios.

I thought it was because of overclocking or Bios issues but it wasn't. It can be resolved simply by plugging the Apple mouse and keyboard directly to motherboard USB ports.

Hi Proengin,

I used to think I had a USB keyboard issue at warm/cold boot. During POST I would attempt to enter BIOS setup and find all my entries ignored until the OS was running. I have an Apple aluminum keyboard and Logitech mouse connected through the USB2 hub in my Dell display and am running USB legacy support.

Ultimately, I learned that it was all about timing (for me, at least). The keyboard became useless If I tried to use it prior to the bus being active. Now, when I need to access the BIOS, I flip over my mouse. Once the LED is lit, that's my "green" light to use the keyboard. No problems since.

Obviously, this could be totally unrelated, but it seemed worth mentioning.

Regards,

Lyle

I know it may sound silly to suggest this, but did you enable USB keyboard and mouse support in the bios? My apple USB K/M are works fine until I get a overclocking crash and then the bios resets to defaults. When I enters to bios, the checkmarks for K/M needs to be enabled again. Just a thought.

Some of the relatively recent bios versions had problems with USB keyboard recognition until the boot was completed. I couldn't use my apple keyboard until after fully booted as well for several revisions of the beta bios updates. I can't remember what version I'm running now but it does work with the keyboard properly.

You could check Tweaktown Gigabyte forums for more info.

I'm using it right now without any troubles at all although automatic property injection for nVidia cards still doesn't work for me. Does anyone have a fully working nVidia card without using a kext or EFI string?

Works fine here with Nvidia 9600 GT 512MB card. No gfx string needed for full support & proper recognition as a PCI card in system profiler. Will try with my ATI HD 4850 later on.

I've got my SL setup running and almost everything works like a charm! Thanks D_D! (although, as I previously mentioned, the umount still does _not_ work and I have to manually edit the script so that it won't erase my EFI every time I run the script)

But I did have a question, too: Does anyone have sleep working with Radeon 4870? Going to sleep works just fine, but waking up just doesen't wake up the display.

If someone has working sleep with 4870, I'd be very glad to know what kexts and where you use, and what boot options you run.

Same here, i have the ATI 4870 and quite often i have to unplug the mouse OR keyb depending on which one doesn't work during boot up.

also i noticed that in the Chameleon boot screen, if you type really fast the letters don't come out as your type. you have to generally type really slow.

I experienced the same issue but only with my logitech mx-510 mouse. if the desktop is up - i just have to unplug und plug in - and it works again ^_^

(btw: can't wait for new mouse drivers for my mouse. atm, logitech only supports 10.5)

regards,

Maxim

But I did have a question, too: Does anyone have sleep working with Radeon 4870? Going to sleep works just fine, but waking up just doesen't wake up the display.

If someone has working sleep with 4870, I'd be very glad to know what kexts and where you use, and what boot options you run.

sleep won't work here with Sapphire 4870 using EVOenabler.kext.

I've got my SL setup running and almost everything works like a charm! Thanks D_D! (although, as I previously mentioned, the umount still does _not_ work and I have to manually edit the script so that it won't erase my EFI every time I run the script)

I have the same problem with not waking up from sleep properly (PowerColor 4870)

(I have fakesmc.kext, tried deleting NullCPUPowerManagement.kext but panics at boot)

In testing sleep today I noticed my keyboard seems to be working 100% at boot now thanks to the earlier tip

of plugging logitech mouse into the key board, not tried with apple mouse. (I also have legacy usb storage off in

bios)

steve

The EFI partition stuff is a weird beast.

I'm using a different technique to unmount and am testing it now. The force unmount doesn't solve all the problems. In SL, the Terminal will recommend diskutil unmount when a umount fails. However, I've experienced unpredicable behavior when using the EFI path in the command line, instead of device node.

For example, I was using umount /Volumes/EFI or diskutil umount /Volumes/EFI. But, after a fresh bootloader install onto EFI partition, the diskutil unmount /Volumes/EFI command will error out with the log, "Volume: Macalem_i7 disk2s2 failed to unmount" Whaat? The EFI partition was on a different drive and disk2s2 is my boot partition - miles away.

So, now I've changed to device nodes: diskutil unmount /dev/diskXs1

The other problem is erasing the EFI partition when it's no longer in use. It'll eventually automount on boot and show up in Disk Utility. :( I've gotten around this issue by erasing it with no file system in place, just as "free space". Given that it's not a HFS partition or anything the Finder can read, it no longer automounts.

Never had these issues in Leopard.

RE: ATI 4870 X2

I couldn't get the EVOenabler.kext to work with it. Does it not work with the X2? I'm probably not doing something correctly. The only thing that worked for me was the installer package for the 48x0 series and Netkas' CI/QE for exotic cards. Did this twice.

No sleep with the card, unsurprisingly. I mean they just got this card working in SL a few weeks ago.

Performance appears okay in games, but GUI affects, like exposé, are not entirely smooth.

The biggest problem I have is that it's in mirror mode, the only mode where I can have access to my desktop. If it's not in mirror mode, I'm in the secondary screen (VGA) without the menu bar (yeah, I'm on a CRT with DVI>VGA converter). This was how it started out and, let me tell you how difficult it was to get a Finder window over, launch and drag System Preferences from the main desktop to my visible one. Once having done that I could "gather windows" or change to "mirror" mode. Switching to the other port gets no video.

regards,

MAJ

Just a quick status update:

I tried to get sleep to work with both EVOenabler and the d_d supplied ATY_Init. Neither works. Though EVOenabler seems that it could work in 64bit too.. but network doesen't work on 64 as of yet, so I don't think I'm gonna try.

I stumbled upon one weird thing though:

tstm@orion% kextstat | grep -i ATI																												   ~
  24	0 0x77cd9000 0x8000	 0x7000	 com.apple.nke.applicationfirewall (2.0.11) <7 6 5 4 3 1>
  79	2 0x81309000 0x2a000	0x29000	com.apple.kext.ATISupport (6.0.2) <78 14 13 7 5 4 3 1>
  80	0 0x817b6000 0x94000	0x93000	com.apple.kext.ATI4800Controller (6.0.2) <79 78 14 13 5 4 3 1>
  87	0 0x81b82000 0xf9000	0xf8000	com.apple.ATIRadeonX2000 (6.0.2) <86 78 14 7 6 5 4 3 1>
  93	0 0x8208d000 0x11000	0x10000	com.apple.kext.ATIFramebuffer (6.0.2) <79 78 14 13 7 5 4 3 1>

Why is the system loading ATIRadeonX2000 even though I don't have one? Is this happening to everyone?

I had graphic problems (white screen with fuzzy stuff) after waking up from sleep using EVOenabler for my 4890. I switched back to ATY Init (In S/L/E) and my sleep works perfectly now.

You can still install and use the Logitech drivers in 10.6. You have to "show package contents" then navigate to another installer package within to get the installer running.

I am still trying to get my SL Install to work flawlessly, I am still on 10.5.8. I have one Q. How do I use DD's script to generate efi strings for my card (GTX 285). I used aquamacs guide and when I put the HEX code in the boot plist, I get a black screen.

Removing the HEX code and using Graphics Enabler works fine. Why wont efi strings work?

Do I also need to delete the _graphics folder before installing the kexts?

Any input is welcome

Just a quick status update:

I tried to get sleep to work with both EVOenabler and the d_d supplied ATY_Init. Neither works. Though EVOenabler seems that it could work in 64bit too.. but network doesen't work on 64 as of yet, so I don't think I'm gonna try.

I tried Evonabler after removing ATY_init (running both it booted into safe mode and it was really slow)

When running with Evoenabler only, it booted fine but my 4870 is reported as a 4890 and it freezes on opengl x viewer on all

but opengl 2.1 (getting same score as ATY_Init in 32 bit). I'm not running any other ATI injectors etc.

I can boot into 64bit with Evoenabler but not ATY_Init however ethernet doesn't work in 64 bit

regards

Steve

Script flow change request:

Flow of option 8 "Modify plists"

Current behavior:

Type "8" from main menu - plist selection menu is displayed.

(request an option to exit to main menu)

Type any available number for plist editing - plist file content is displayed.

Type "e" to exit plist editor - user is returned to main menu.

(request that user be returned to plist selection menu)

I will often use option 8 to simply inspect several plist files without modification. It would save a few keystrokes if the script didn't return to the main menu after exiting from a specific plist.

Of course, I'm not so arrogant to believe that my workflow is best for all, so do what you think is best!

Thanks!

-Lyle

I had graphic problems (white screen with fuzzy stuff) after waking up from sleep using EVOenabler for my 4890. I switched back to ATY Init (In S/L/E) and my sleep works perfectly now.

You can still install and use the Logitech drivers in 10.6. You have to "show package contents" then navigate to another installer package within to get the installer running.

thanks a lot for the hint at the logitech driver package - everything works just fine :)

my system wakes up from sleep but my display doesn't with EVOenabler and 4870.

maybe I'll give ATY init a try but this didn't work with 10.5 so I haven't tried it yet with 10.6.

regards,

Maxim

gotta add 2 lines in the boot.plist, same for the video too on your card.

Go to netkas.org for the details on what to enter.

Hi

I gave this a try on my pure test SL instance.

works with my 4870 without ATY_Init - same scores in GLview

Reports Ethernet as built in but doesn't actually work since I don't think there is native support for UD5, probe

fails in kernel.log

I get ethernet if I load realtekr1000 but bonjour doesn't work (it works fine with the chameleon rc3 boot file)

Deleting the ethernet string in boot.plist didn't help. (it was working before on the same instance)

shows EFI64 rather than EFI32

On the basis that my bonjour is working fine i think I'll stick with rc3 boot file for now

regards

Steve

So, with the new PCEFI v10.3, ethernet works "out of the box" on the GA-EX58-UD5, without installing kexts or anything?

And the same with Radeon 48x0 video cards?

I would also really like to know if this works. Anyone tried the new PC-EFI yet?

I think I'm being a bit light-minded thinking this will actually work. But if this would properly enable ethernet that would be great, the current method is pretty bad (promiscuous mode etc.).

Thanks

Also: I'm not sure if anyone else has had this problem. But when my PC has been idle (not slept) for a while Bonjour stops working. Networked computers appear in Finder, but when I click them it tries to load but that's as far as it goes. This is using the RealtekR1000.kext with the promiscuous fix. Any solutions?