[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

I can't get Ethernet working. I've done multiple installs and according to System Profiler I'm booted into 32-bit. Audio works, but Network preferences doesn't recognize either Ethernet port. All it shows is Firewire, and when I click add it only shows me FireWire, VPN, PPPoE and 6 to 4.

Any ideas? I downloaded the newest script installer and noticed that it installed AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext instead of RTL1000K.kext or whatever it was before. But neither driver seemed to work for me, I just can't get it going.

Would anything break if I installed SL to a second HD while booted into 64-bit Snow Leopard on a different drive? I didn't see any errors in the script, and it's just Ethernet that's not working.

Any help is appreciated!

Is this on a HFS formatted drive? I'm not aware of where this is happening. Where are these 'hidden' kexts coming from? Are you actually renaming kexts with the dot prefix, with the intention that they be ignored? I didn't foresee this unusual behavior, so didn't script it in. Additionally, I don't make a habit of listing such dot files or doing "ls -la" in the Terminal.

I believe it's a FAT volume. This was the USB stick that I used to flash my BIOS; I threw the script on there so I could have a backup of a working kext setup.

RevampedUUID injector kexts (UUID.kext or PlatformUUID.kext) are synced with UUID string in smbios.plist, if present.
UUID injector kexts and having a SMuuid key in smbios.plist are unnecessary, just edit your DSDT.

Add the following to the end of PEX4 and 5 to eliminate `unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35' errors, to have en0 and 1 show as IOBuiltin=true in ioreg, to show `Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-<en0's MAC address>' in System Profiler, and to have your ByHost preferences created as com.apple.<name>.<en0's MAC address>.plist;

Device (LAN0)
               {
                   Name (_ADR, 0x00)
                   Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
                   {
                       0x0B, 
                       0x04
                   })
                   Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                   {
                       Store (Package (0x04)
                           {
                               "built-in", 
                               Buffer (0x01)
                               {
                                   0x01   
                               },
                               "device_type", 
                               Buffer (0x09)
                               {
                                   "ethernet"
                               }

}, Local0)
                       DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                       Return (Local0)
                   }
               }

To make this work, the DTGP method also needs to be in your DSDT.

I put it above the _WAK method in mine;

Method (DTGP, 5, NotSerialized)
   {
       If (LEqual (Arg0, Buffer (0x10)
               {
                   /* 0000 */    0xC6, 0xB7, 0xB5, 0xA0, 0x18, 0x13, 0x1C, 0x44, 
                   /* 0008 */    0xB0, 0xC9, 0xFE, 0x69, 0x5E, 0xAF, 0x94, 0x9B
               }))
       {
           If (LEqual (Arg1, One))
           {
               If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))
               {
                   Store (Buffer (One)
                       {
                           0x03
                       }, Arg4)
                   Return (One)
               }

If (LEqual (Arg2, One))
               {
                   Return (One)
               }
           }
       }

Store (Buffer (One)
           {
               0x00
           }, Arg4)
       Return (Zero)
   }

This works with either Realtek's RTGNICv2.0.3.pkg or Pystar's RealtekR1000.kext.

UUID injector kexts and having a SMuuid key in smbios.plist are unnecessary, just edit your DSDT.

Add the following to the end of PEX4 and 5 to eliminate `unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35' errors, to have en0 and 1 show as IOBuiltin=true in ioreg, to show `Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-<en0's MAC address>' in System Profiler, and to have your ByHost preferences created as com.apple.<name>.<en0's MAC address>.plist;

Device (LAN0)
               {
                   Name (_ADR, 0x00)
                   Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
                   {
                       0x0B, 
                       0x04
                   })
                   Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                   {
                       Store (Package (0x04)
                           {
                               "built-in", 
                               Buffer (0x01)
                               {
                                   0x01   
                               },
                               "device_type", 
                               Buffer (0x09)
                               {
                                   "ethernet"
                               }

}, Local0)
                       DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                       Return (Local0)
                   }
               }

To make this work, the DTGP method also needs to be in your DSDT.

I put it above the _WAK method in mine;

Method (DTGP, 5, NotSerialized)
   {
       If (LEqual (Arg0, Buffer (0x10)
               {
                   /* 0000 */    0xC6, 0xB7, 0xB5, 0xA0, 0x18, 0x13, 0x1C, 0x44, 
                   /* 0008 */    0xB0, 0xC9, 0xFE, 0x69, 0x5E, 0xAF, 0x94, 0x9B
               }))
       {
           If (LEqual (Arg1, One))
           {
               If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))
               {
                   Store (Buffer (One)
                       {
                           0x03
                       }, Arg4)
                   Return (One)
               }

If (LEqual (Arg2, One))
               {
                   Return (One)
               }
           }
       }

Store (Buffer (One)
           {
               0x00
           }, Arg4)
       Return (Zero)
   }

Your post is a bit confusing. You might as well upload your patched DSDT instead of having each one of us decompile edit and recompile our DSDT's. I dont know much about UUID's but if it wasnt that important, MAJ wouldnt have included it in his Script. That's just my opinion

dear digital dreamer...

you wrote to me :

The FSB figure is merely cosmetic, but can be resolved by modifying the "SMmemspeed" string in the smbios.plist of your /Extra folder.

so i did it. and now the memory speed is correct.

but the fsb is still 533 mhz.

how can i see which speed is really running ???

my second problem now is that the HD 4870 works fine,

but the fan is soooo slow and it gets really hot !!

what can i do ???

thanks for your answer

The arch=i386 boot flag is for the chameleon bootloader. If u r using the PC EFI version, this will be ignored. I dont really know the difference between our boards so I cannot say why your sound and ethernet are not working. I have read on other posts where users with your board uses patched Apple.HDA kexts or DSDT with hacked sound and ethernet.

If you are interested, I can upload my extra folder for you to try on your board, that is if you are using chameleon with extra install method. Just let me know.

Cheers

With the new update D.D 4.10 AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext yes ethernet :) . But when sound can not :( . The procedure for this installation is this:

Install type: 2) EFI partition (/ EFI)

Current Chameleon bootloaders: 2) Chameleon_2.0_RC3

Hi

While in 64 bit mode I forgot to turn sleep off and left my computer unattended, when I returned

I hit the keyboard and it woke up, however the monitor would start display OS X for a couple of

seconds, cycle from blue to black screens to blue to OS X again ad infinitum. Each time OS X was starting

afresh (if i started an app it was gone when it cycled back). This was a fresh vanilla install, no scripts etc

Any idea what might be missing, I haven't bothered with sleep before, tried previously with hibernatemode 3

and monitor never woke up, video card is 4870

$pmset -g 
Active Profiles:
AC Power		-1*
Currently in use:
hibernatemode	0
sleep		10
powerbutton	1
disksleep	10
hibernatefile	/var/vm/sleepimage
ttyskeepawake	1
displaysleep	10

steve

I'm able to have OS 10.6.1 detect ethernet by doing the following:

Coldboot + -f boot flag (this will find both ethernet controllers, but I'm using the "top" port which is usually detected as en1

the issue is that when I reboot en1 will say its not connected. I do get a link light however....

Does anyone know what might be causing this? its the only thing holding me back from finishing my install.

Maj: A question about the DSDT patch you talked about adding to your new script, but weren't able to - are you including this from someone elses findings/work, or were you building this from scratch? Just want to know if there is a way that I could patch DSDT to resolve my issue, and if there is a procedure for it that already exists. (haven't found anything so far)

Is your Ethernet kext in S/L/E? And, has the boot caches been updated with that kext included?

RE: DSDT

I just plan on using the customary Ethernet patch that everyone has been using. There isn't more than one way to do it. In fact, d00d has the patch quoted several posts up. It's just more work to do it manually. This isn't going to take the place of the drivers/kexts we need for networking. But, it will set the "build-in" flag that Apple requires to have TM working.

The same thing can be accomplished with a Ethernet EFI string, which the script can insert for you.

I believe it's a FAT volume. This was the USB stick that I used to flash my BIOS; I threw the script on there so I could have a backup of a working kext setup.

Gotcha. Non-HFS file systems don't understand resource forks, so you'll see then as "._*" files. This is normal.

I store my BIOS updates on my USB stick, too. B)

Sorry about your Terminal settings being overwritten. You can remove those Terminal settings related lines from the RUN-PATCH_INSTALLER.command file, if you haven't already done so. If you have any other suggestions regarding controlling window/color settings, I'm all ears.

so i did it. and now the memory speed is correct.

but the fsb is still 533 mhz.

how can i see which speed is really running ???

my second problem now is that the HD 4870 works fine,

but the fan is soooo slow and it gets really hot !!

what can i do ???

thanks for your answer

I might have misstated the FSB key as the memory speed, but you got it right, anyway.

I think the FSB is the "SMexternalclock" key in the smbios.plist (correct me if I'm wrong, anyone). I have it removed by default, so you'll have to add it from the list.

On the Nephalem architecture, the "front side bus" is not what it used to be (the memory bus is no longer between CPU and Northbridge), but I still hear people refer to the FSB on a Core i7 system and I believe that relates to the memory bus now. Is that the general consensus here?

As for the hot 4870, I've wondered the same thing. I got a 4870 X2 and it's quiet and hot. Does it run faster in Windows for you? I assume you have something to compare it with. I know of no OS X software designed to control GPU fans. This should be controlled by the GPU board itself. I wouldn't want my GPU temps depending on a Vendor's OS. However, I'm just speaking from opinion and not from experience, as this high-powered GPU stuff is relatively new to me.

Now, I wish I held out for the new single GPU 5870, as that would produce 4870 X2 performance in OS X. For now, only Win can take advantage of the full power of the 4870 X2.

regards,

MAJ

With the new update D.D 4.10 AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext yes ethernet :) . But when sound can not :( . The procedure for this installation is this:

Install type: 2) EFI partition (/ EFI)

Current Chameleon bootloaders: 2) Chameleon_2.0_RC3

Hakintos,

Have you tried having the audio related kexts installed in /System? Due to dependency issues, most only work in S/L/E.

MAJ

RE: Time Capsule

Do you have a working network with wireless connectivity?

RE: Permissions in Disk Utility

You'll need to install the BSD.pkg referred to on the front page.

ibaniban,

Have you tried updating the boot caches while in SL, not Single-User mode?

MAJ

Hi,

I do not have any wifi equipment,sorry

Hi Digital Dreamer:

Congratulations for the enormous effort and work that you have made with this amazing project. I have a the EX58-UD5 and your script simply does an incredible work. The big snowy cat is purring perfect.

The only thing that i can say is not working is the Case Power Button, it quits the sleep state but do not powers off the computer.

And also i noticed some kind of weird mouse behavior where the mouse is just working fine and for 2 seconds becomes veery slow then accelerates and continues to work ok, other times it slows down for more time becoming unusable. I think is the mouse lag problem caused my my EVGA9800GT. So i just ordered an EVGA9500GT

I just want to suggest you to add a Donate Paypal Link in order that people can donate you some money and maybe, keep this project growing for the better.

Thank you very much for your help and congratulations again.

Does it solves also the 64k compatibility question ?

en0 is always token by my PCI wificard, does it could cause problems with your DSDT solution ?

By the way I saw in your signature that you are using a W3520 Xeon Proc !

Does it has more overclock possibility ? This Proc isn't validated by Gigabyte for this MOBO, don't you risk a bios problem now or later and do you use ECC memory ?

Thanks for your reply

Hi

While in 64 bit mode I forgot to turn sleep off and left my computer unattended, when I returned

I hit the keyboard and it woke up, however the monitor would start display OS X for a couple of

seconds, cycle from blue to black screens to blue to OS X again ad infinitum. Each time OS X was starting

afresh (if i started an app it was gone when it cycled back). This was a fresh vanilla install, no scripts etc

Any idea what might be missing, I haven't bothered with sleep before, tried previously with hibernatemode 3

and monitor never woke up, video card is 4870

$pmset -g 
Active Profiles:
AC Power		-1*
Currently in use:
hibernatemode	0
sleep		10
powerbutton	1
disksleep	10
hibernatefile	/var/vm/sleepimage
ttyskeepawake	1
displaysleep	10

steve

Yes, fixed it

everything working now, sleep, sound, lan in 64 bit :(

By the way, I notice if you set boot from rom to enabled on the lan ports they seem to come up

more reliably. Wonder why everyone suggested to disabled this feature?

Steve

Does it solves also the 64k compatibility question ?

en0 is always token by my PCI wificard, does it could cause problems with your DSDT solution ?

By the way I saw in your signature that you are using a W3520 Xeon Proc !

Does it has more overclock possibility ? This Proc isn't validated by Gigabyte for this MOBO, don't you risk a bios problem now or later and do you use ECC memory ?

Thanks for your reply

64bit?

The DSDT doesn't control that, I boot with arch=i386 and therefore use the i386 binary;

[mac05:~/Documents/Extra] root# file SLE/RealtekR1000.kext/Contents/MacOS/RealtekR1000

SLE/RealtekR1000.kext/Contents/MacOS/RealtekR1000: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures

SLE/RealtekR1000.kext/Contents/MacOS/RealtekR1000 (for architecture x86_64): Mach-O 64-bit kext bundle x86_64

SLE/RealtekR1000.kext/Contents/MacOS/RealtekR1000 (for architecture i386): Mach-O object i386

[mac05:~/Documents/Extra] root#

Your WiFi card is probably recognized on PEX0, 1, 2 or 3, check this with ioreg or IORegistryExplorer.

Yes, the Xeon series of Nehalem processors are all D0 stepping, so they are more easily overclocked than a C0 i7, but should be on par with a D0 i7.

There are others that successfully use the Xeon in GA-EX58 boards, and I've had no problems with any of the BIOS versions, even the ones before improved D0 compatibility.

Gigabyte just takes the updated microcode from Intel and adds it to the Award BIOS.

You can install both Windows 7 and Snow Leopard on one disk by first installing Snow Leopard, and partitioning your drive as GPT. After you're done, make a FAT32 partition using Disk Utility. That way your partition layout will be converted to a hybrid GPT/MBR disk which gives you the possibility to install Windows 7 on the same disk. :D

Just hit Format on the FAT32 partition in Windows 7, and it's formatted as NTFS.

Do keep in mind that you have to reinstall Chameleon, or whatever boot loader you're using after installing Windows. But do not apply boot1h to your Snow Leopard partition anymore, because that might break Windows 7 from booting. Only use fdisk to write boot0 to the MBR.

HELP!

I think I just killed my solid install with all the programs inside (DD's 10.5.7 script, FC STUDIO, Avid, Parallels etc)!

Took me days to install every thing right!

Well every thing worked fine but then I tried to use PARAGON Partition Manager to backup Vista installation on another HDD.

I got into my chameleon with no problem as usual:

img4446o.jpg

But when entering Leopard I got this:

img4463y.jpg

So I tried to run singel user mode, and Verbose nothing helped!

img4466mo.jpg

when I tried to go to another install of Kallyway on the machine it didn't recognize the drive "LEOPARD" drive - and its partitions:

img4453v.jpg

All the partitions are gone!?

img4461.jpg

The thing I can't understand is that the bootloader installed on the same HDD as the missing LEOPARD OS!

How come I can get into the bootloader but can't load the OS that is in it?

another thing is when go into my vista's STORAGE MANAGER I can still see the partitions in the "LEOPARD" DRIVE (check out the mouse pointer - it points on the partition that has the "lost" partition.

img4469e.jpg

I guess that some how the Mac allocation table of that drive was damaged - so OSX cant see this drive's partition and data.

Is there a way to some how retrieve it? make OSX see this partitions again?

Please I spent days installing all the software and making it to be solid!

:D

You can install both Windows 7 and Snow Leopard on one disk by first installing Snow Leopard, and partitioning your drive as GPT. After you're done, make a FAT32 partition using Disk Utility. That way your partition layout will be converted to a hybrid GPT/MBR disk which gives you the possibility to install Windows 7 on the same disk. :(

Just hit Format on the FAT32 partition in Windows 7, and it's formatted as NTFS.

Do keep in mind that you have to reinstall Chameleon, or whatever boot loader you're using after installing Windows. But do not apply boot1h to your Snow Leopard partition anymore, because that might break Windows 7 from booting. Only use fdisk to write boot0 to the MBR.

Heh, thanks. Didn't realise it was that simple. Why is it I need to re-install my bootloader though? Ideally I'd like to mirror my current Windows 7 install (on another disk) and restore it to a second partition on my current OS X disk.

After about a week of cursing I managed to get the snow leopard install to work with the updated PCEFI 10.3 - the sound and LAN worked too. Thanks DD.

My issue is with the graphics card. I can boot to desktop with an Asus 9800 GT 1 GB RAM but it is seen as 32MB VRAM with only 1280x1024 resolution - I tried nvEnabler which worked a treat on a previous Hac (XFX 9800GT 512mb) but it doesnt have the 1gb option, the others (Vanilla/52/780 mb) do not install correctly.

I also have a Geforce GTX260 that I'd like to use - but when that is installed the desktop is just a black screen following boot-up.

Pretty new to all this so please help. Thanks

Specs:

GA EX58 UD5

i7 920

12G RAM

150 GB WD Raptor

2x1TB Storage

Asus 9800 GTX 1GB

or Geforce 260

Apple 30" Cinema Display

<snip>

Now, I wish I held out for the new single GPU 5870, as that would produce 4870 X2 performance in OS X. For now, only Win can take advantage of the full power of the 4870 X2.

regards,

MAJ

I just received my new XFX Radeon HD 5870 today. Any suggestions on how I can get it working in my dual-boot Hackintosh 10.5.8 ? This is my first ever ATI card and have no experience in the hackintosh relm with ATI cards, I'm replacing an 8800GTX with EFI Strings. Any help is appreciated.

Hi, first thanks for all the hard work!

I was having problems earlier with my system preferences not being saved and time machine not working properly and ended up doing a clean reinstall.

Everything seemed to be working fine -- time machine and system preferences were working -- after I used your updated script, however after updating to 10.6.1 using the software updater I now have this strange problem where whenever I try to open something, the screen goes black and the application shuts down. So for instance I click on Safari, safari will open momentarily before the screen going black and it shutting down. This even happens when I click on the finder or try using spot light to open something. The only thing I can do is browse folders by clicking them from my desktop, but can't actually launch anything. As a result, I can't do anything as simple as a running disk utility or time machine.

I used NVEnabler.kext for my graphics card, and know it works fine on 10.6.1 as that's what I was using for awhile prior to reinstalling.

Any suggestions? =/

i hate to sound like a total retard on here but i have finally received all of my gear and have spent the past 2 evenings after work building the machine as meticulously as possible.

it's now done! i have the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 along with the i7 920 1356 2.66ghz processor. i read this thread through all the pages and can't figure out in plain english what my first step should be. i do have access to a mac pro where i could install the HDD and then format the drive with Snow Leopard. from there....i am totally lost as to what to do.

any help is appreciated. right now, i have a $1200 machine that's just collecting dust. lol

i hate to sound like a total retard on here but i have finally received all of my gear and have spent the past 2 evenings after work building the machine as meticulously as possible.

it's now done! i have the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 along with the i7 920 1356 2.66ghz processor. i read this thread through all the pages and can't figure out in plain english what my first step should be. i do have access to a mac pro where i could install the HDD and then format the drive with Snow Leopard. from there....i am totally lost as to what to do.

any help is appreciated. right now, i have a $1200 machine that's just collecting dust. lol

The easiest way for you to do it would be attaching the drive to your Mac Pro somehow (I'm sure you can figure out yourself how to do that). Then using Disk Utility make a partition on your HDD that's formatted as HFS+ and is using the GUID partition table.

Assuming you have a Snow Leopard retail disc in your drive you can just run the install script, from there you select the drive you want to install to and there you are - you can automate pretty much the whole installation. I do advise you to read around a little bit and make your own decisions about how you want to do it as the script offers a few different options (bootloader, install method etc). After that, install your HDD into your PC and then boot up. That's the easy part. Getting everything to work properly takes a bit more time, but that shouldn't be too difficult either - you'll find all the resources you need here.

Hope that helps!

Edit:

Oh, and I forgot to mention make sure your BIOS settings match up to those shown in the image in the first post. It won't boot without AHCI enabled, or will work incorrectly at least (not entirely sure). Also be sure to follow the other steps detailed in the first post, specifically the part where you have to disable Spotlight on boot.

I just received my new XFX Radeon HD 5870 today. Any suggestions on how I can get it working in my dual-boot Hackintosh 10.5.8 ? This is my first ever ATI card and have no experience in the hackintosh relm with ATI cards, I'm replacing an 8800GTX with EFI Strings. Any help is appreciated.

I doubt that card will be supported anytime soon to be honest. The only reason the current range of ATi's HD cards work is because they have a very similar architecture to the 4870 (which OS X natively supports) so it only requires a few tweaks to get them working right.

As you know the 58x0 cards are a whole new range, and are probably made fairly differently in relation to the previous series. You'll just have to wait I guess.

Yes, fixed it

everything working now, sleep, sound, lan in 64 bit ;)

By the way, I notice if you set boot from rom to enabled on the lan ports they seem to come up

more reliably. Wonder why everyone suggested to disabled this feature?

Steve

Hi guys, I managed to get 32bit running well with everything (lan, sound, peripherals... except sleep). I am using ATi HD 4850 on EX58-UD4P and am following netkas GraphicsEnabler solution on PCEFI 10.3. Yet, I still can't find any solution to get it to sleep and wakeup properly.

I am also wondering how do you get the sound and ethernet lan in 64 bit working. Which sound kext and LAN kext do you use? Could you please elaborate the steps you've gone through to get 64 bit fully running?