[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

If you have saved your BIOS settings, then it'll be a simple load to get it back after a reset. The reset won't erase your saved BIOS profiles.

MAJ

u think theres no way for me past this kernel panic im getting, im loathe to format that SL install after all the hassle ive had getting to that point :(

cruisar, yeh i have SL turned off :(

Download and run realtek's RTGNICv2.0.3.pkg, it replaces IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext with an updated version.

Then you can remove pystar's RealtekR1000.kext.

I've had a few kernel panics using it, so it may require DSDT mods to be stable.

Here's a few to try.

Thank you very much, I will try this!

EDIT: %!@$, it's 32-bit :( Thanks anyway!

How to get working ethernet using both 32 bit and 64 bit kernels in Snow Leopard

1. Go to your S/L/E directory and look for 'IONetworkingFamily.kext'
  2. Back it up! Make a copy of it somewhere
  3. Right click (or ctrl click) and click 'Show Package Contents'
  4. Go to to directory named 'Plugins' and copy the attached kext there
  5. Update your caches using DD's script or something else like KextHelper
  6. Reboot
  7. Now, at this point your networking is only likely to work in 32-bit so you first need to boot into that, once in check that your networking is working, if it is you can go the 'Network' tab in System Preferences and make an export of your settings (small cog at the bottom of the list of services)
  8. Boot into 64-bit
  9. It probably won't work from here, but all you have to do (all I had to do) was re-import my settings from 32-bit and it worked

If it still doesn't work after all of that it may have been because your ethernet wasn't working in 32-bit in the first place - so it's important that it's working there before you go any further. Any method of getting ethernet to work, with bugs or not, is good enough to make an export of your settings.

One other solution if it's still not working is to try using these following settings in the Ethernet tab under 'Advanced...':

Screen%20shot%202009-10-12%20at%2012.02.56.png

I can't take credit for this at all, since I'm only gathering information that was posted earlier in the thread.

Hope this helps!

64bitRealtekR1000.kext.zip

How to get working ethernet using both 32 bit and 64 bit kernels in Snow Leopard

1. Go to your S/L/E directory and look for 'IONetworkingFamily.kext'
  2. Back it up! Make a copy of it somewhere
  3. Right click (or ctrl click) and click 'Show Package Contents'
  4. Go to to directory named 'Plugins' and copy the attached kext there
  5. Update your caches using DD's script or something else like KextHelper
  6. Reboot
  7. Now, at this point your networking is only likely to work in 32-bit so you first need to boot into that, once in check that your networking is working, if it is you can go the 'Network' tab in System Preferences and make an export of your settings (small cog at the bottom of the list of services)
  8. Boot into 64-bit
  9. It probably won't work from here, but all you have to do (all I had to do) was re-import my settings from 32-bit and it worked

If it still doesn't work after all of that it may have been because your ethernet wasn't working in 32-bit in the first place - so it's important that it's working there before you go any further. Any method of getting ethernet to work, with bugs or not, is good enough to make an export of your settings.

One other solution if it's still not working is to try using these following settings in the Ethernet tab under 'Advanced...':

Screen%20shot%202009-10-12%20at%2012.02.56.png

I can't take credit for this at all, since I'm only gathering information that was posted earlier in the thread.

Hope this helps!

Thanks but no kext attachment.

One question, does this work reliably with all features, sleep etc?

Thanks

Jon

I have a suggestion for those trying to install SL from 10.5.x, get Blackosx's BootCD and start from there. Please believe me it is much much simpler to install from 10.6 than from 10.5. You can find the link to his bootcd in the first post of his "10.6.1 on EP45-DSL" thread. That CD will boot the X58-UD3R (and I fully expect it will boot the other versions of that board) as I have used it on mine.

Boot from the CD, swap the SL Retail DVD for the CD, wait for the drive to read, then tap F5 (his rescan key) and select the OSXInstall DVD. Hit return and the DVD will load. Once in the SL installer you can partition the target HD. After you select the HD to install to, remember to Customize the install. Deselect the print drivers, additional fonts and translations then proceed with the install. At the end of the install, the installer will want to restart. Allow this to happen but swap the boot CD for the Install DVD such that the machine will boot into the CD. You can now select the newly installed SL to load. Once you are in SL and have set up your account run DD's installer to load your plists, bootloader and kexts. (you need to copy DDs Install folder to a flash drive so you can access it from the installed SL).

Once DD's script has completed you can remove the bootCD and reboot. You should now boot into your new SL.

You can make things a little faster if you will make a disk image of the SL Retail DVD and restore the image to a USB flash drive (at least 8gb and be sure it is 2.0). You can also copy DDs Install folder to the same flash drive. Now when you are ready to install put the bootCD in the drive and the flash drive in a USB port and boot the machine with the CD. Once the machine boots, select the OSXInstall from the USB drive and hit return. You wind up in the SL installer as with the DVD but the install will proceed faster and if you are like me and install a number of times, it is quite a time saver.

do you need to edit the boot cd in anyway? it doesnt boot on my system.

im so confused as to why im having so many problems doing things so many people seem to breeze through, is it possible i have bios settings wrong? the only one i have changed was to put AHCI on the hard drives.

cdboot: init

cdboot: file size 0004B860

cdboot: reading sectors: 00000098

cdboot: loading.............

cdboot: done

and then nothing else happens

was thinking of trying the usb method to see if its any different, but gonna need to go buy a usb pen big enough for that.

This past Friday night I decided to do a 'virgin' install on my EX58-UD3R for 64 bit operation so I reformatted by 'maintenance' HD and began. I had restored the OSXInstall.dmg to an 8gig flash drive and I copied DD's install folder to the same drive. Inside that folder I copied the necessary EFI string to the boot.plist in the plists folder (graphics = 9500GT, 512m) and removed the 32 bit boot key. I also put in the kexts I expected to work in 64 bit mode - nothing in the graphics folder, one audio kext and one kext in networking, all others are 'stock'.

I booted from Blackosx's BootCD with the OSXInstall flashdrive in a USB port. Boot and OS install went smoothly. After reboot from install, ran DD's script: load bootloader, make active, load kexts and DSDT patch. Rebooted into the SL HD. Clock time was about 35 minutes at this point. I went through account setup and checked system status. Everything was working expect networking. Over the next several minutes I tried several different kexts in an attempt to get 64 bit networking to function. I finally stumbled on a combination of IOFamilyNetworking and AppleRTL8169Ethernet from DD's Networking Repository that worked. Both have to be present in /S/L/E for networking to function.

The above work for networking in 64bit mode, for 32bit mode one needs the IOFamilyNetworking from the 10.5 script. Audio works in both 32 and 64 mode using a LegacyHDA.kext from Blackosx's EP45 package.

Total time from beginning to finish was a little over an hour. Once I had the necessary kexts sorted out in DD's script, I ran it on the primary HD and now have a fully functioning 64bit 10.6.1 install.

Can you list out which kexts (name/filename) you used for 64-bit mode compatability?

For networking I used IONetworkingFamily and AppleRTL8169Ethernet from DD's 4.10 Install folder. The audio kext is LegacyHDA.kext from Blackosx's package for 10.6.1 on the EP45-DS3L (that's an 888 chipset). The ATA and Misc folder kexts are 'stock' with the 4.10 Installer. The Graphics folder has no kexts as I use an EFI string in the boot.plist. The audio and networking kexts must be in Systems to work, they will not function in Extra.

To Retrend: I feel your pain that apparently everyone can get things to work but you are struggling. I have a couple of suggestions: You posted that you have overclocked the MB. This is obviously for some OS other than Mac, save your settings and return to 'stock' settings until SL is installed. Obviously, you need certain settings, namely AHCI and SATA operation for SL but let the board run at normal clock speeds. The BootCD should work, you are likely burning this from a Windows install - try a very slow speed burn. I trust that your HD and CD/DVD drive are SATA. Start with only the HD and CD/DVD connected and try to boot into the CD. If you get that far (the welcome to EP45.... screen), insert the OSX Retail DVD, wait several seconds until the drive stops reading, then tap F5 for rescan and after the rescan you should see the OSX Install listed in window. If you have reached this point select the OSX Install, hit return and you should get to OSX installer.

hey guys,

i have a probelm here. I have chameleon rc3 installed with the EXTRA method. the core i7 920 processor is OC to 4ghz in bios. I used to get around 12,000 for my geekbench. and now i got 8000 in SL. Also, when processor is not overclocked and running at 2.67 ghz my geekbench is onli 5000? need some help!

Summary

Section Description Score Geekbench Score

Geekbench 2.1.2 for Mac OS X x86 (32-bit)

Integer Processor integer performance 6955 8205

Floating Point Processor floating point performance 11870

Memory Memory performance 5650

Stream Memory bandwidth performance 4866

System Information

Operating System Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Build 10B504)

Model MacPro4,1 Motherboard Apple Computer, Inc. Mac-F4208DC8 x.x

Processor Intel® Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz

Processor ID GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5

Processors 0 Threads 8

Cores 8 Memory 12.0 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Processor Frequency 4.10 GHz Bus Frequency 800 MHz

L1 Instruction Cache 32.0 KB L1 Data Cache 32.0 KB

L2 Cache 256 KB L3 Cache 8.00 MB

BIOS Apple Computer, Inc. MP31.88Z.00C1.B00.0802091544

Integer Section

Section Score 6955

Blowfish

single-threaded scalar 2462

108.2 MB/sec

Blowfish

multi-threaded scalar 10183

417.3 MB/sec

Text Compress

single-threaded scalar 3116

9.97 MB/sec

Text Compress

multi-threaded scalar 10931

35.9 MB/sec

Text Decompress

single-threaded scalar 3232

13.3 MB/sec

Text Decompress

multi-threaded scalar 10485

41.8 MB/sec

Image Compress

single-threaded scalar 2803

23.2 Mpixels/sec

Image Compress

multi-threaded scalar 9261

77.9 Mpixels/sec

Image Decompress

single-threaded scalar 2516

42.2 Mpixels/sec

Image Decompress

multi-threaded scalar 7029

114.7 Mpixels/sec

Lua

single-threaded scalar 5118

1.97 Mnodes/sec

Lua

multi-threaded scalar 16334

6.28 Mnodes/sec

Floating Point Section

Section Score 11870

Mandelbrot

single-threaded scalar 3365

2.24 Gflops

Mandelbrot

multi-threaded scalar 14580

9.54 Gflops

Dot Product

single-threaded scalar 5482

2.65 Gflops

Dot Product

multi-threaded scalar 9479

4.32 Gflops

Dot Product

single-threaded vector 6546

7.84 Gflops

Dot Product

multi-threaded vector 12548

13.0 Gflops

LU Decomposition

single-threaded scalar 1211

1.08 Gflops

LU Decomposition

multi-threaded scalar 2057

1.80 Gflops

Primality Test

single-threaded scalar 7203

1.08 Gflops

Primality Test

multi-threaded scalar 21788

4.04 Gflops

Sharpen Image

single-threaded scalar 8375

19.5 Mpixels/sec

Sharpen Image

multi-threaded scalar 23862

55.0 Mpixels/sec

Blur Image

single-threaded scalar 10610

8.40 Mpixels/sec

Blur Image

multi-threaded scalar 39076

30.7 Mpixels/sec

Memory Section

Section Score 5650

Read Sequential

single-threaded scalar 5809

7.11 GB/sec

Write Sequential

single-threaded scalar 9041

6.18 GB/sec

Stdlib Allocate

single-threaded scalar 4494

16.8 Mallocs/sec

Stdlib Write

single-threaded scalar 4062

8.41 GB/sec

Stdlib Copy

single-threaded scalar 4844

4.99 GB/sec

Stream Section

Section Score 4866

Stream Copy

single-threaded scalar 4737

6.48 GB/sec

Stream Copy

single-threaded vector 6535

8.47 GB/sec

Stream Scale

single-threaded scalar 5150

6.68 GB/sec

Stream Scale

single-threaded vector 6106

8.24 GB/sec

Stream Add

single-threaded scalar 3053

4.61 GB/sec

Stream Add

single-threaded vector 5786

8.05 GB/sec

Stream Triad

single-threaded scalar 3330

4.60 GB/sec

Stream Triad

single-threaded vector 4236

7.93 GB/sec

so im now posting this from my new shiny snow leopard install :)

turns out i had put my drives into the wrong sata ports, and that was causing the issue. i managed to boot up into my previous snow leopard install in single user mode to rebuild the cache after i fixed that. dont know whether you want to include that in the conditions before starting, but its certainly caused me a lot of heartache not knowing it.

im sure ill be back here shortly with more niggles lol, but thats me over the hump i think

damn frustration after frustration after frustration, it never seems to end for me. I obviously dont know what the problem is at the moment. Even when I use the bootCD to boot into the SL installer, screen turns black just when the desktop should appear for me to start the install.

So I am guessing it has nothing to do with my GPU as 10.5.8 works flawlessly and win7 as well. Maybe I am using the wrong install DVD ;) . I even switched from DVI to D-Sub and still same issue. Could it also have something to do with PCI cards being recognised as PCI-0 or PCI-1. Please any input or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

damn frustration after frustration after frustration, it never seems to end for me. I obviously dont know what the problem is at the moment. Even when I use the bootCD to boot into the SL installer, screen turns black just when the desktop should appear for me to start the install.

Install Netka's "universal injector for ati and nvidia": http://netkas.org/?p=104

Thank you VERY MUCH Digital Dreamer for this guide and files! It worked like a charm, everything I've had a chance to check is working and I was able to update to 10.6.1 via software update with no problems.

The one thing I noticed was that the screen shot for the Ktexts system/extras installation didn't match up with the screen from the latest version of the patcher, but it was simple to figure out what the differences were.

Thank you again. This build went MUCH more smoothly, than my last hackintosh attempt.

I need help cloning my Leopard install. I have a WD Mybook and ran CCC to clone the install. I then ran the script to install Chameleon to the external drive. I then noticed that the boot loader copied over the cloned /Extra folder so I copied my installs /Extra folder over to the external drive.

When the drive is plugged into the computer at boot (USB), it hangs on the the Gigibyte screen and it won't boot.

Do I need to set the partition active?

Can someone do a step by step on cloning an install to a USB drive?

Thanks!

I need help cloning my Leopard install. I have a WD Mybook and ran CCC to clone the install. I then ran the script to install Chameleon to the external drive. I then noticed that the boot loader copied over the cloned /Extra folder so I copied my installs /Extra folder over to the external drive.

When the drive is plugged into the computer at boot (USB), it hangs on the the Gigibyte screen and it won't boot.

Do I need to set the partition active?

Can someone do a step by step on cloning an install to a USB drive?

Thanks!

I have the same problem with my EX58-UD3R. I have an install on a flash drive and the computer hangs at the Logo screen if the drive is plugged in at boot. However, the same flash drive works fine in my EP45-DS3L - no hang plus it will boot that machine. I believe the problem to be with the bootloaded, ie Chameleon, as I had an external USB install of 10.5 using an older bootloader which would boot the UD3R.

I don't have a solution, this is just to let you know it is more likely the machine not the install.

I will give that a shot but I doubt it will work since i still have the same problem from the DVD installer when i use a boot CD.

Thanks all the same

The way I did this.

1 From a working partition (Leopard or SL) Format new drive as HFS+ Journalled GUID, 1 volume

2 Run Chameleon 2 and select new drive, EFI method

3 Put DVD in drive, type Shift Cmd G and enter /Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/

4 Type O

5 Run highlighted OSInstall.mpkg

6 when finished don't reboot but mount your new EFI partition

7 delete the boot file at /Volumes/EFI, replace it with the boot from RC3 (or PC EFI 10.3/4 if you prefer)

8 install the following kexts in /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions

9 Create a DSDT.aml and put it in Extra

10 from /Volumes/EFI type chmod -R 755 * and chown -R 0:0 *

11 edit com.apple.boot.plist and enter the UUID of your new SL partition (it changes, you may need to check again

after your first boot if it doesn't appear to change after formatting) - you will know since you get still waiting for

root device if this is wrong. also add arch=i386 to boot.plist

11 unmount your EFI partition

12 ensure /Volumes/<YourSnowLeopardDisk> has permission 755 (strictly 1775 I think?) and is root:wheel

13 Run the ATY_init package installer so that it installs on your SnowLeopard partition

14 Put RealtekR1000.kext in /System/Library/Extensions (you can load it manually with kextload if required)

15 check permissions of these two kexts are -R 755 and owned by 0:0

16 reboot. If you are lucky should boot first time (if you select your SL disk as the boot disk in bios), if you get the

waiting for root then the boot-uuid in plist is wrong.

17 When you get to SL you can download kextinstaller to repair permissions for peace of mind if you like

I have noticed a couple of times it sometimes hangs at sound check for a long time in verbose mode, doesn't seem

to do so in graphic mode.

This works for me with a red 4780 on a UD5 with a RTL8111D/8168B, may not with a blue one or nvidia card or other

UD4 etc board with different Lan chip

steve

PS I notice there is a new PC EFI 10.4, if you can follow the instructions there then you may be able to delete

ATY_init

post-383752-1255449027_thumb.png

I have the same problem with my EX58-UD3R. I have an install on a flash drive and the computer hangs at the Logo screen if the drive is plugged in at boot. However, the same flash drive works fine in my EP45-DS3L - no hang plus it will boot that machine. I believe the problem to be with the bootloaded, ie Chameleon, as I had an external USB install of 10.5 using an older bootloader which would boot the UD3R.

I don't have a solution, this is just to let you know it is more likely the machine not the install.

I think it's a problem with that WD Mybook that I'm using (it's the one with USB, Firewire, eSATA). When it's plugged in and the bios is set to boot from USB, it just hangs. When it's plugged in with USB not set to boot, my USB keyboard doesn't work during post. I have a WB usb only drive for timemachine and that one has no impact on anything during boot.

I have a really old USB drive that I'm going to clone to and see if that one works.

The way I did this.

@LocusOfControl

Would you mind sharing your exact KEXT setup? (So including e/e/ S/l/e versions etc?) - For the life of me I can't seem to get sleep working on my UD5 and want to try out your exact same setup with files and boot.

I will give that a shot but I doubt it will work since i still have the same problem from the DVD installer when i use a boot CD.

Facts:

- Chameleon bootloader has pciroot=0 by default.

- PC EFI 10.3/4 bootloader has pciroot=1 by deafult.

- GA-EX58-UD5 mobo has pciroot=1 in BIOS by deafult.

If you are using deafult BIOS with pciroot=1 and you have nVidia card like me and you have used Chameleon bootloader, you will end up with black screen at login.

To solve it you should install injector kext for your card (ATY_Init.kext in my case) and then match pciroot of your bootloader with your DSDT.

1. If you used Chameleon bootloader and you have black screen at login you can do the following to fix it:

a: Install Netka's universal injector for ati and nvidia (ATY_Init.kext): http://netkas.org/?p=104

and

b: Edit your DSDT as follow:

Under "Device (PCI0)" or "Device (PEGP)"

Find "Name (_UID, One)" and change "One" to "Zero"

2. If you used PC EFI 10.3/10.4 bootloader and you have black screen at login you can do the following to fix it:

a: Install Netka's universal injector for ati and nvidia (ATY_Init.kext): http://netkas.org/?p=104