[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

This is very simple:

The ISO step is not necessary but take less time to install, to do an ISO of your Disc, go to Disk Utility and make an image of the disc. You should mount the image by double clicking it before starting the installation process, also remove your SL Disc from the drive. But if you want to skip this whole step it will work anyway.

Execute the script, it will ask you for your password, then your will have a menu. Follow the menu from option 2 to option 6.

Because you are installing from another mac install PC-EFI, PC-EFI 10.3 is based on Chameleon, but FYI chameleon boots up you computer with a bunch of text lines, thats the Verbose mode (or the -v parameter), you can setup your install at the end to do not use verbose mode going to the script menu:

(8 - Enter) Edit Plists , press the number corresponding to your Mac Volume in the Boot Plists list.

Prest the number of the Kernel Flags option (it varies) then press enter. There you will the the current kernel flags in use, to remove -v press its menu number (usually number 2) and enter, press d then enter. Now you have deleted it. If you reboot, it will start up with the White Apple Logo Screen (like any mac). But verbose mode is good for troubleshooting. If later you want to start with verbose mode, at the bootloader screen press any key before the time goes out and write -v then enter.

The kext step is easy too, go into menu number 5, you will see the current list of kexts and where they are installed. Press number 4 and it will go to System Folder,then 5 then 6.

About your other question, is you disable spotlight after the setup of SL is finished, everything will be fine. As soon as you finish step number 6.

Use a USB memory to copy the whole script folder into it.

Remove your HD and install it on the PC.

You can go to the Bios pressing del at the POST screen, make sure that the SATA controller is set to AHCI. Follow you Mobo manual if you can't figure it out.

Turn on you pc, you will see the PC-EFI bootloader which is like chameleon, wait to the time out and it will start the system. I never have any problem it goes straight to the desktop, there go to sys preferences to see if spotlight was correctly disabled, if not, disable it.

Copy your script folder to the desktop, execute the script and go to Step number 7, do it to generate the DSDT file for your system then when finished remove your usb drive then reboot. The gigabyte mobo usually does a checksum failure at this reboot because you booted without the DSDT file one time.

This time at the bootloader screen press any key and write: -s and press enter

You will be at the Command Prompt, write buildcache then enter.

After it finishes , write reboot then hit enter.

When in OSX again, insert your osx disc, open the terminal and paste the next command:

sudo open "/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/BSD.pkg" (including the ")

Follow that installation, then reboot. Remove OSX Disc.

At that point your OSX is ready but you will not have your graphics card working fine, you need to add a EFI string to the Boot Plist.

Open script, go to option 8 enter, select your volume name in the boot plist, press a then enter. Select the device-properties option number. There select option matching to your video card vendor, and select from the list, select the video memory if applies and confirm pressing y . Then reboot and see if the animations are going smooth.

Yes, that is possible. I have used both a 16GB and an 8GB flash drive for this purpose. My experience is that this is a very sloooow process. The install to the flash drive takes several hours. Once the install is complete and you have booted from the flash drive, prepare for more wait time. Boot takes several minutes plus once booted up, screen actions (opening folders, running apps, etc) are very slow to respond.

You would be better served using an old IDE drive mounted in an external USB case. That installs and operates much faster than using a flash drive.

Hi, that was not my experience. It may be a matter of individual USB sticks or a combo of that and the processor being used. I did this for my 16GB PNY stick and yes, it did take me about 45 minutes to restore the SL dmg to the stick drive. It only took me seconds to then install RC3 and swap in the proper Extra folder.

When I did a practice install using this USB stick on a fresh hd, it booted in a matter of seconds and was minimally slower than a normal hard disk OSX boot. Installation from the USB stick to the hd was considerably faster than using a DVD for me. Just another opinion on this matter.

Hi ArkaPro,

In my Mac world, DiskWarrior has been the most successful for me at restoring partition nightmares. I've yet to try it on an OSX86 system. A Google search for 'insanelymac diskwarrior' should provide some caveats. As a safety, I would use DW's ability to "preview" the drive before actually applying the repairs. You should be able to clone the preview to another volume before you take the risk of writing to the disk.

Regards,

Lyle

Just a note regarding using Diskwarrior on hackintoshes: Don't

Diskwarrior is the best tool to use for disk issues, but it insists on "fixing" the boot blocks on a hackintosh. This will render your Mac non-bootable, unfortunately. The latest version for SL is no different.

Send a request to Alsoft to make boot block fixes optional and, hopefully, we may be able to use it in the future.

I don't remember the details of my last attempt, so can't remember if I attempted to reinstall the bootloader to see if that fixed it. All I remember is that I had to do a full TM restore.

I really need to know if when I chose the 'Extra' option as opposed to the EFI option in the install script if that means that my bootloader is installed the the root of my SL install?

Yes, the "Extra" option installs the bootloader on your main SL install partition.

*THEN* I rebooted and NOW I am stuck completely because my new PC-EFI bootloader won't boot anymore. It tells me that there is no "mach_kernel" to boot from.

My questions are:

a) am I entirely f*cked now? :-)

:( does my SL kernel file mabye have a different name which I could boot by simply typing its name at the boot prompt?

c) if not - is there a way to access the HD from either Linux or Windows to change back the boot loader?

I am REALLY hoping that some of you guys will be able to help me!

My first thought is that the boot.plist has been converted to binary and is not able to be read at boot time.

Try getting a fresh copy of the boot.plist and try again.

You should be able to open that plist in any text editor. If it looks garbled, then it's in binary format, not XML.

What method was used to modify the boot.plist? If one uses the Terminal command "defaults write" it will convert to binary if you are in Leopard. I don't think that happens in SL, thanks goodness.

My script must convert any plist from binary to XML every time it's written to. Annoying.

1) Step 11 on Preparation is "Make an ISO of your Retail DVD". Do i need to do this? if so how and why?

Not necessary, but greatly improves speed. Use Disk Utility.

2) I want to use Chameleon because it looks better than a bunch of white and black text junk.

is that ok for me to do instead of PC-EFI v10.3? (considering i am using a mac pro to format and do all the initial work versus on the actual machine)

No problem. Chameleon RC3 works fine.

3) Then step 7 of installation said this: If installing from Leopard for Snow Leopard, the script will automatically install all x86_64 (64-bit) kexts in /System, as 64-bit boot caches cannot be built into Leopard. Also, note too, that in Snow Leopard some i386 kexts (32-bit) just do not work in /Extra and must be installed into /System. These include current the selection of audio and networking kexts, so toggle them from the /Extra destination to /System by keying in their number and pressing 'Enter.' (i.e. press 4, Enter, 5, Enter, 7, Enter)

How do i do that last part in bold? lol not exactly sure....

Play with it on a spare volume. You'll get the feel of it in seconds.

4) Booting: When i boot, DD's guide says: to type "-v -x32" but for Chameleon I need to replace the -x32 with "arch=i386". and because i'm a first time installer, add "-s" to it as well so it'd be: "-v -s arch=i386".

Is this correct?

You got it.

5) Then....it says i type "buildcache followed by the return key". Is this right? Then it says when the script finishes, type "reboot" followed by the return key.

So does this mean i'll get another boot window, correct?

Basically, yes.

I have the rest figured out. Just wanted to ask the guys out there who could lend a helping hand to these 5 questions. THANKS!

Hi, that was not my experience. It may be a matter of individual USB sticks or a combo of that and the processor being used. I did this for my 16GB PNY stick and yes, it did take me about 45 minutes to restore the SL dmg to the stick drive. It only took me seconds to then install RC3 and swap in the proper Extra folder.

When I did a practice install using this USB stick on a fresh hd, it booted in a matter of seconds and was minimally slower than a normal hard disk OSX boot. Installation from the USB stick to the hd was considerably faster than using a DVD for me. Just another opinion on this matter.

The slow drive experience may also be the result of using a USB 1.1 version drive or port. For example, if you have it plugged into a typical keyboard, you'll only get USB 1.1 "Full" speed, not "High" speed.

Can't wait until USB 3.0 is out and we'll all be using "Super" speed. Gaaa! :)

regards,

MAJ

Just a note regarding using Diskwarrior on hackintoshes: Don't

Diskwarrior is the best tool to use for disk issues, but it insists on "fixing" the boot blocks on a hackintosh. This will render your Mac non-bootable, unfortunately. The latest version for SL is no different.

Send a request to Alsoft to make boot block fixes optional and, hopefully, we may be able to use it in the future.

I don't remember the details of my last attempt, so can't remember if I attempted to reinstall the bootloader to see if that fixed it. All I remember is that I had to do a full TM restore.

Hey Now! It's not like ArkaPro was going to make things much worse than they already were! -_- Until you hit the "replace" button, nothing is written to the drive. If the Preview function mounted his volume it could have saved him some pain. However, I don't begrudge your cautious stance on the matter.

I only have DW v4.0 on hand. I just ordered the 4.2 upgrade for SL and will try it on my clone drive. I'll post the results and any fixes on a DW related thread... Unless you think it's appropriate to post them here.

Cheers,

Lyle

Hey Now! It's not like ArkaPro was going to make things much worse than they already were! :blink: Until you hit the "replace" button, nothing is written to the drive. If the Preview function mounted his volume it could have saved him some pain. However, I don't begrudge your cautious stance on the matter.

I only have DW v4.0 on hand. I just ordered the 4.2 upgrade for SL and will try it on my clone drive. I'll post the results and any fixes on a DW related thread... Unless you think it's appropriate to post them here.

Cheers,

Lyle

I meant no offense and it wasn't directed at anyone in particular! :) Just wanted to clear up any misinformation and avert any possible disaster on the part of others who may be following the thread.

That'll be cool if you post the results here. I and others would like to know. It's a shame not being able to use it, as it was the main utility I've used for Macs in the printing/newspaper industry. Once upon a time it was Disk Doctor from Norton Utilities, but that one went down hill after version 4 or so.

best regards,

MAJ

Hello,

just wanted to post as i successfully installed OSX SL on my PC with the method in this thread.

For those that have a 9600 GT graphics card with 512mo Vram, i tried many different solutions, but in the end it turned out that by using EfiStudio, and selecting the 9600 GTX+ 512mo card to generate the device code, OSX recognizes this card (i have a GIGABYTE GV-N96TSL-512I) with full support altough it lists as a GTX+ card.

>>the 1024mo 9600 GT card option in EfiStudio does NOT work with a 512mo card,,,!! lol, i tried,,,

As for those who are complete new to the PC world (like me), when you are asked to boot in "-v -x32", this actually means you have to specify this in the "com.apple.Boot.plist" like this

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v -x32</string>

As mentioned (but not explained) in this tutorial, this is important to do..

The only problem i have now is that Adobe CS3 wont install on a case sensitive system,,,,

:P

Hello,

just wanted to post as i successfully installed OSX SL on my PC with the method in this thread.

For those that have a 9600 GT graphics card with 512mo Vram, i tried many different solutions, but in the end it turned out that by using EfiStudio, and selecting the 9600 GTX+ 512mo card to generate the device code, OSX recognizes this card (i have a GIGABYTE GV-N96TSL-512I) with full support altough it lists as a GTX+ card.

>>the 1024mo 9600 GT card option in EfiStudio does NOT work with a 512mo card,,,!! lol, i tried,,,

As for those who are complete new to the PC world (like me), when you are asked to boot in "-v -x32", this actually means you have to specify this in the "com.apple.Boot.plist" like this

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v -x32</string>

As mentioned (but not explained) in this tutorial, this is important to do..

The only problem i have now is that Adobe CS3 wont install on a case sensitive system,,,,

:P

Booting with -v -x32 in fact means to press any key at the bootloader scren, then type -v -x32 , the same applies to the -s, the script already has put those options on the plist.

I meant no offense and it wasn't directed at anyone in particular! :( Just wanted to clear up any misinformation and avert any possible disaster on the part of others who may be following the thread.

That'll be cool if you post the results here. I and others would like to know. It's a shame not being able to use it, as it was the main utility I've used for Macs in the printing/newspaper industry. Once upon a time it was Disk Doctor from Norton Utilities, but that one went down hill after version 4 or so.

best regards,

MAJ

Howdy folks, I just re-installed everything from scratch (DD's 10.5.6 retail + 10.5.7 upgrade script)

So I didn't have the chance to test DW on the RIP system.

all works great and stable - with the exception of parallels that I managed to recover the PVM image from the RIP system using Stellar Phoenix Macintosh - MAC Data Recovery Software 2.2.

It only gave me the option to recover files - not to fix & find the deleted partition info.

but I had some trouble with re-associating the files.

and also It some times just makes my OSX not to respond... I still haven't found the reason.

And to all of you guys PMing me about why I still run Leo and not snow kitty.

Well this is an video editing system.

There is a rule of thumb that many proffesionals and studio owner follow.

Never go into a new OS before the first service pack (in case your using Win) or 10.X.2 or 10.X.3 is out.

even if I had a real mac Pro I would still run a stable, well known, program compatible system - like 10.5.7/8

And wait for all the proggies to become stable, bug free and compatible with Snow kitty.

I have a very proffessional colligue that is a sound editor (using Pro-Tools mainly) and he still runs Tiger on his G5 systems.

Most of us are "gotta have the latest version PPL" but if you need to run a reliable\stable sys.. I I'd wait a little longer.

This is my personal opinion - I'm sure wizards like BJMOOSE (who's opinion I highly respect) which is also a video editor will beg to differ.

What do you guys think?

Never go into a new OS before the first service pack (in case your using Win) or 10.X.2 or 10.X.3 is out.

<SNIP>

Most of us are "gotta have the latest version PPL" but if you need to run a reliable\stable sys.. I I'd wait a little longer.

This is my personal opinion - I'm sure wizards like BJMOOSE (who's opinion I highly respect) which is also a video editor will beg to differ.

What do you guys think?

That advice is very sound and reasonable.

Anyone running a production system needs the most mature, stable environment possible. Downtime is money. Unless, perhaps, he has time to kill and enjoys debugging issues that affects his workflow. This is especially true if these systems are in use by others, some who may be less technically inclined, or are very demanding and become volatile when things don't go their way. :(

I've worked in an environment where the non-IT supervisor expected me to have the latest software updates immediately installed for everything. And, that included having automatic updates enabled and applied on all systems. ;) He considered this the best course. It only took a couple weeks before we had a non-booting system, because of a automatic update that conflicted with another automatic update. LOL.

Simple minds create havoc. :D

MAJ

That advice is very sound and reasonable.

Anyone running a production system needs the most mature, stable environment possible. Downtime is money. Unless, perhaps, he has time to kill and enjoys debugging issues that affects his workflow. This is especially true if these systems are in use by others, some who may be less technically inclined, or are very demanding and become volatile when things don't go their way. :D

I've worked in an environment where the non-IT supervisor expected me to have the latest software updates immediately installed for everything. And, that included having automatic updates enabled and applied on all systems. :) He considered this the best course. It only took a couple weeks before we had a non-booting system, because of a automatic update that conflicted with another automatic update. LOL.

Simple minds create havoc. :P

MAJ

I second that, I restored my 10.5.8 time machine backup to my main HD, no longer running SL. Flash kept quitting on me and took ages to load up. Thanks for the advice ArkaPro

Regards Charles

Could someone direct me to the place where I can get help with common errors?

I have followed Digital dreamer's guide from start to finish and am running into the boot0:error error.

I have set the hdd with the os installed as first priority in my BIOS but I still continue to get this error.

I have also set the drive as active through the script as dd instructed

I tried chameleon and PCI_EFI bootloaders

i have tried the Extra and EFI install methods

All produce the same boot error.

I have an iMac with SL installed and plugged into it is a sata hdd dock with a 1.5tb sata drive.

I partitioned the drive as Mac OSX Extended (Journaled)

The script process installs flawlessly but I can never get the hard drive to boot into the os i installed.

This is a pain in the ass process since I have to keep taking out the sata drive from my pc.

Any help will be appreciated.

EDIT:

SOLVED!

Solution, partition HDD less than 1.0TB

Howdy folks, I just re-installed everything from scratch (DD's 10.5.6 retail + 10.5.7 upgrade script)

So I didn't have the chance to test DW on the RIP system.

all works great and stable - with the exception of parallels that I managed to recover the PVM image from the RIP system using Stellar Phoenix Macintosh - MAC Data Recovery Software 2.2.

It only gave me the option to recover files - not to fix & find the deleted partition info.

but I had some trouble with re-associating the files.

and also It some times just makes my OSX not to respond... I still haven't found the reason.

And to all of you guys PMing me about why I still run Leo and not snow kitty.

even if I had a real mac Pro I would still run a stable, well known, program compatible system - like 10.5.7/8

And wait for all the proggies to become stable, bug free and compatible with Snow kitty.

I have a very proffessional colligue that is a sound editor (using Pro-Tools mainly) and he still runs Tiger on his G5 systems.

What do you guys think?

Honestly my SL system is way more stable than my Leopard. Everything runs so much smoother and I haven't run into any problems due to the OS. No KPs, no stalls, and no reloading. Every program I run (including CS4) runs much better. But if you strictly use it for work, then of course you would stick with what you know works for sure.

Thanks again DD!

I have followed Digital dreamer's guide from start to finish and am running into the boot0:error error.

<SNIP>

That's disappointing, I know.

Is AHCI enabled?

Version of my script? Only the latest bootloaders (Cham RC3 and PC-EFI v10.3) support the large drives (1TB+ disk addressing support). There were issues of large drives not being recognized by the RC2 bootloader. RC3 fixes that issue.

My immediate suggestion would be to partition drive in half and try again.

Can you install the bootloader, again, and view or post the script's install.log for us? Need to verify that the bootloader is actually getting installed. If it is, then I would have to suspect the BIOS or drive itself.

best of wishes,

MAJ

The slow drive experience may also be the result of using a USB 1.1 version drive or port. For example, if you have it plugged into a typical keyboard, you'll only get USB 1.1 "Full" speed, not "High" speed.

Can't wait until USB 3.0 is out and we'll all be using "Super" speed. Gaaa! :(

regards,

MAJ

Thanks to all who provided insight to my question about booting off a USB drive. I guess I will grab a 16GB 2.0 drive and give it a shot. I need to get my utility OS X install off my 160 GB SATA drive so I can install Win 7 or XP for my gaming. I am afraid to partition my main OS X 500 GB drive for this purpose because I spent so much time getting it running correctly and don't want to jeopardize the bootloader, etc. I need this install to run flawlessly as I will be using it as my main DAW rig.

Is AHCI enabled?

Version of my script? Only the latest bootloaders (Cham RC3 and PC-EFI v10.3) support the large drives (1TB+ disk addressing support). There were issues of large drives not being recognized by the RC2 bootloader. RC3 fixes that issue.

Can you install the bootloader, again, and view or post the script's install.log for us? Need to verify that the bootloader is actually getting installed. If it is, then I would have to suspect the BIOS or drive itself.

best of wishes,

MAJ

Hi,

Thank you for replying.

1)AHCI is enabled

2)Tried both bootloaders

3)Was unaware of large drive issue, will partition in half

4)According to the script I can reinstall a bootloader but when I check the instal log I see a lot of invalid arguments even though I get successful installation message.

Edit:

Install log removed to make searching, reading other posts easier without having to scroll through my nonsense

SOLVED!

Thanks digital dreamer

post-498611-1254581566_thumb.png

Hi all, my setup above is finally complete, I follow this guide for install SL on the i7, but when I try to boot the SL Hard Disk the pc stucks at the Verifing DMI pool data .........

What's wrong? I used Chameleon RC3 on a 1Tb seagate 7200.12 attached in blue sata ports. Thank you

EDIT: Solved reinstalling with /Extra method instead of /EFI, maybe I made a mistake following the procedure.. I've to thank DD for his guide, script and kexts and all of the members of this big hackfamily that solve problems everyday :)

Is AHCI enabled?

best of wishes,

MAJ

Update:

Thanks Digital dreamer, after shrinking my partition size to half I was able to successfully boot in my new hackedSL.

If I knew that 1 or 1.5 TB was too much I would have shrunk it weeks ago.

Now I just need help setting up a few important features such as internet through either ethernet but preferably wireless.

I do know if I have sound yet since I did not try it out but I probably do not.

Any suggestions to get printer, internet, audio, and other extras going?

Thanks.

Great guide. Didn't notice anything in it about using the white SATA connectors.

Am using them and noticed that stability is less when used. System would freeze on many disk type operations. Stripped out the Jmicron drivers and improved stability, but after-wards anytime the system sleeps or time machine launches the system freezes.

Disabled those ports in bios and everything is stable.

So for users battling stability problems using the white ports on a EX58-UD5, try disabling and see if system is stable.

Will continue to try to find a solution to stability problem, while using the white SATA ports, really want to span across two disks using GATA smart backup to improve Apple Aperture's performance

Stats not listed in signature

All bios is set to AHCI

Smart backup is enabled, and one set of TB drives is set to mirror, other set of TB drives is set on span.

Quick question: I followed DD's guide / script for Leopard in July and got my Hackintosh up and running without a hitch.

I'm prepping to install Snow Leopard using this script, and currently I have 2 HDDs in the machine: One that's been prepped for Snow Leopard, and one that has the Leopard install I'm using right now (Chameleon RC2).

If I use Chameleon RC3 for Snow Leopard on a separate drive, will I run into any issues on bootup having 2 drives installed with Chameleon present? Or do I simply need to, after doing the first part of the script from Leopard, shut down, enter the BIOS and switch the first boot drive to the Snow Leopard drive? Is the Chameleon RC3 boot screen different such that I'll know I'm booting from the right drive, or does it look identical to RC2?

Sorry for the newb questions, love the work that has gone into this and appreciate it so much.

Quick question: I followed DD's guide / script for Leopard in July and got my Hackintosh up and running without a hitch.

I'm prepping to install Snow Leopard using this script, and currently I have 2 HDDs in the machine: One that's been prepped for Snow Leopard, and one that has the Leopard install I'm using right now (Chameleon RC2).

If I use Chameleon RC3 for Snow Leopard on a separate drive, will I run into any issues on bootup having 2 drives installed with Chameleon present? Or do I simply need to, after doing the first part of the script from Leopard, shut down, enter the BIOS and switch the first boot drive to the Snow Leopard drive? Is the Chameleon RC3 boot screen different such that I'll know I'm booting from the right drive, or does it look identical to RC2?

Sorry for the newb questions, love the work that has gone into this and appreciate it so much.

There may be issues having two different versions of the same bootloader installed, but I wouldn't know for sure. I certainly don't think it would be critical, but I would suggest updating the older one to RC3 at some point.

If you have a custom boot.plist and smbios.plist in your Leopard install, save them to another location, then run the D_D bootloader install script. Afterward, you can replace the newly installed boot.plist and smbios.plist with your saved versions.

regards,

MAJ

There may be issues having two different versions of the same bootloader installed, but I wouldn't know for sure. I certainly don't think it would be critical, but I would suggest updating the older one to RC3 at some point.

If you have a custom boot.plist and smbios.plist in your Leopard install, save them to another location, then run the D_D bootloader install script. Afterward, you can replace the newly installed boot.plist and smbios.plist with your saved versions.

regards,

MAJ

You mean in order to update Chameleon to backup those 2 files and then replace them after running the bootloader script to update to RC3? Good deal-- I'll just update it before I install Snow Leopard to avoid any issues there. Thanks!

Another question: can I use the same boot.plist for the Snow Leopard install? (all it has is a hex string for my graphics card and a section to tell the bootloader what resolution to display at)

Hi,

Sorry if this is in the wrong area but I have trouble moving around this forum.

I have finally installed SL with digital dreamer script 4.10.

The installation was successful but I am having issues post installation.

I have no internet and no ethernet is discovered. I do not know how to install kexts but I figured the network kexts and audio kexts would be installed automatically with the script.

I get no sound through SPDIF output, and just no sound at all.

Not sure how to activate bluetooth with a usb dongle.

I would like to have wireless networking available and found a topic that has the exact pci card I am using (linksys dualband wmp600n) but the link to ralink2860 driver is dead. Is there another way to get wireless working?

I have included my boot cache log just incase it provides more information that I am unaware of.

Thanks for any help.

boot cache log:

bootcachelog.txt

Thanks to LocusOfControl for the 64-bit LAN kext, but I can't seem to find what I need to get audio going. I just need stereo out from the green jack in the back.

Where is this 64-bit LAN kext you speak about? Can't find it... Perhaps you could upload it to kexts.com?