[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

DD. This script rapes!

one question though, has anyone been having problems syncing thier Iphone/Ipod? Mine doesnt even charge when I connect it. It's weird because i can mount USB flash drives as well as my cameras. It also syncs with 10.5.7 that i have on another drive.

Here is my config:

Ga-ex58-UD5 w/ f9e bios, 12 GB (6 x 2GB Muchkin 1333 RAM), Core i7 920, NVidia 9800 GT.

Do you know if you have CI/QE enabled? Translucent menubar, Dashboard ripples, Chess board rotation, etc.

I think your card should be more than adequate. I just suspect it not fully enabled.

Hi DD

I do not know if it's enabled or not.

The things you mentioned are all working.

I used some 3D benchmark programs. The most known is OPENGL Extension Viewer.

In benchmark mode with 1920x1200 I only get around 50 fps in benchmark mode.

According to other benchmarks I should be getting at about 4x as much (did same benchmark in Vista with 4x better results). I really do not understand that since the only thing I need to do is the efi-string. It's really hard to do something wrong there (btw I used your script to create that string, which was the same string I produce with EFI studio some time ago, the string is in the com.apple.boot.plist.

I am really lost here..... are the apple drivers for the 9600gt so bad?

Best regards

Mike

Ok this is the weirdest thing to ever happen to me. When DD released his first script for SL, I managed to install and run flawless except for the bonjour issue. I restored my 10.5.8 as this works better for me.

I then downloaded the script update and run the install steps as described. Generated EFI strings for my GPU, build the boot cache in single user mode and rebooted...everything works fine but I get a black screen.

What is bugging me is that I have installed SL on my rig b4 with DD's precious script release. If anyone has this script available, please post a link to it, I just want to try the previous one just to be sure.

Thanks

Has anyone been able to enable SpeedStep? My mobo is EX58-UD4P, CPU is i7 920. I installed SL with the script and everything works 100%. The only problem I have is that my CPU runs very hot, even when idle. (60ish celcius).

Thanks!

How do I install a modified kernel using your script?

Vanilla is working on this MB for many others check this

Oh, wow. Didn't know that. That's cool. Never mind about the modified kernels, then.

I see others folders in the kernel folder, but they don't show up in the kext/kernel installer?

The kernels and matching kexts are meant to be taken out of their parent folder for the script to see them.

DD. This script rapes!

one question though, has anyone been having problems syncing thier Iphone/Ipod? Mine doesnt even charge when I connect it. It's weird because i can mount USB flash drives as well as my cameras. It also syncs with 10.5.7 that i have on another drive.

Here is my config:

Ga-ex58-UD5 w/ f9e bios, 12 GB (6 x 2GB Muchkin 1333 RAM), Core i7 920, NVidia 9800 GT.

This is probably a Bonjour issue, although the charging problem sounds odd. Check a few pages back for some suggestions.

Hi DD

I do not know if it's enabled or not.

The things you mentioned are all working.

I used some 3D benchmark programs. The most known is OPENGL Extension Viewer.

In benchmark mode with 1920x1200 I only get around 50 fps in benchmark mode.

According to other benchmarks I should be getting at about 4x as much (did same benchmark in Vista with 4x better results). I really do not understand that since the only thing I need to do is the efi-string. It's really hard to do something wrong there (btw I used your script to create that string, which was the same string I produce with EFI studio some time ago, the string is in the com.apple.boot.plist.

I am really lost here..... are the apple drivers for the 9600gt so bad?

Best regards

Mike

Sounds like the CPU is doing all the heavy lifting, not your GPU. So, no QE/CI via GPU is happening.

Was your 9600 working okay in your previous Leo install? Did you get the EFI string from EFIStudio?

Try EFIStudio for the string and see if it works. They shouldn't be different, but something is definitely up and we need to try something different.

Ok this is the weirdest thing to ever happen to me. When DD released his first script for SL, I managed to install and run flawless except for the bonjour issue. I restored my 10.5.8 as this works better for me.

I then downloaded the script update and run the install steps as described. Generated EFI strings for my GPU, build the boot cache in single user mode and rebooted...everything works fine but I get a black screen.

What is bugging me is that I have installed SL on my rig b4 with DD's precious script release. If anyone has this script available, please post a link to it, I just want to try the previous one just to be sure.

Thanks

Right before the time the desktop should appear you get a black screen?

Sounds GPU related.

Which version did you use previously? 4.02 or 4.01?

MAJ

Has anyone been able to enable SpeedStep? My mobo is EX58-UD4P, CPU is i7 920. I installed SL with the script and everything works 100%. The only problem I have is that my CPU runs very hot, even when idle. (60ish celcius).

Thanks!

Are you on the stock cooler? I'd check the CPU to heatsink contact. Doesn't sound like there's much heat transfer going on.

MAJ

How do I install a modified kernel using your script?

Vanilla is working on this MB for many others check this

I got to thinking, again (scary, I know) and wondered what bootloader you are installing and if you are installing a DSDT patch?

Looking at that forum you linked to, it appeared a lot of the issues revolve around the DSDT patch.

If you install the PC-EFI 10.3 bootloader, you can skip the DSDT patch and just see if it boots.

Additionally, are you installing the kexts for that board linked to by that thread?

MAJ

Right before the time the desktop should appear you get a black screen?

Sounds GPU related.

Which version did you use previously? 4.02 or 4.01?

MAJ

Yes, this happens right before the desktop should appear. I also noticed another weird thing. During the kext installer step, 4, 5 and 6 were in extra and all the others were in system. :) This wasnt the issue before, they were all in extra and I had to key in 4, 5 and 6 to change their destinations to System. I also crosschecked the efi strings created by your script and one I created using aquamacs guide and they were the same.....(sigh) :(

I think it was 4.02. Maybe I have somehow messed something up somewhere. I will try creating a new user and installing from there, maybe that might help.

Regards

Charles

Sounds like the CPU is doing all the heavy lifting, not your GPU. So, no QE/CI via GPU is happening.

Was your 9600 working okay in your previous Leo install? Did you get the EFI string from EFIStudio?

Try EFIStudio for the string and see if it works. They shouldn't be different, but something is definitely up and we need to try something different.

Hello DD

Thanks for your feedback.

Definitly the CPU is running at low levels, I checked with a CPU monitor. When the benchmarks start, the CPU load is never increased. So it must be another thing.

One question:

In the system profiler, there are no cards listed under PCI cards, which I think is funny. The GFX card should be listed there I would assume. Is that normal?

Cheers, Mike

CPU Detection as Intel Xeon to avoid problems with certain installers (CPU-Checks)

If you want that system profiler detects your core i7 CPU as a Xeon replace the attached boot file with boot in your root. Its a modded pcefi10.3 bootloader.

To make this work you need to add these lines to your smbios.plist:

<key>SMbusspeed</key>

<string>4800</string>

<key>SMcputype</key>

<string>1281</string>

This is not only cosmetical like the about this mac editing. Some Software like MS Silverlight has a cpu checker in the installer. Try to install Silverlight and you will realize that the installer fails. With this boot file and the addition in your smbios.plist Silverlight installer works.

My core i7 920 (o/c to 3.2GHz) is recognized as:

3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Another step to a more compatible hack.

Credits go to prasys, who modified pcefi10.3 and Digitaldj, who detected the cpu modd hack.

modded_pcefi10.3.zip

CPU Detection as Intel Xeon to avoid problems with certain installers (CPU-Checks)

If you want that system profiler detects your core i7 CPU as a Xeon replace the attached boot file with boot in your root. Its a modded pcefi10.3 bootloader.

To make this work you need to add these lines to your smbios.plist:

<key>SMbusspeed</key>

<string>4800</string>

<key>SMcputype</key>

<string>1281</string>

This is not only cosmetical like the about this mac editing. Some Software like MS Silverlight has a cpu checker in the installer. Try to install Silverlight and you will realize that the installer fails. With this boot file and the addition in your smbios.plist Silverlight installer works.

My core i7 920 (o/c to 3.2GHz) is recognized as:

3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Another step to a more compatible hack.

Credits go to prasys, who modified pcefi10.3 and Digitaldj, who detected the cpu modd hack.

Cool!

Many thanks! I had this problem yesterday (installing Silverlight) and today you post the solution!

<snip>

During the kext installer step, 4, 5 and 6 were in extra and all the others were in system. :( This wasnt the issue before, they were all in extra and I had to key in 4, 5 and 6 to change their destinations to System.

<SNIP>

This is normal. This can get a little complicated, but there are several conditions that are checked against that create this behavior. The script checks if those kexts have been installed in /System. If they have, then it defaults the install to that location, so you don't have to keep toggling the destination from /Extra to /System for that kext every time. Likewise, if the kext is not in /System, the default install location is /Extra.

However, the rules change slightly when installing x86-64 kexts from Leo, as demonstrated in your case. Here's what happens:

When installing from Leo, the script installed the x86-64 kexts into /System by default, because a boot cache cannot be created from them. The other kexts (i386) are installed in /Extra (4, 5, and 6) by default, because a boot cache can be created from them. (The script doesn't know that these kexts won't work in /Extra, however, but that's not the script's fault.)

Now, once in SL, you toggle those 3 kexts (4, 5, and 6) to /System, because they happen not to work in /Extra.

If you are installing these kexts again, but while in SL, and these kexts have not been installed before, the default location for all kexts will be in /Extra, because SL can build a boot cache for all the kexts. This would explain why you saw them all in /Extra at one point, and had to change 4, 5, and 6 to /System.

Hope that makes sense. Most of the complications come from installing SL from Leo and the limitations Leo imposes on this installation process. I'm releasing a update that will allow you to create a preboot CD or USB boot disk, which will allow one to install SL from a SL install and circumvent a lot of this complexity.

HINTS:

If the destination (/Extra or /System) is marked in white text, then that kext (or another one by the same name) is already in that location.

If the destination is marked green, then a move/copy is going to be made.

That's cool. Thanks for the tip!

MAJ

Hi Cruisar,

I still see IONetworkingFamily.kext in /Extra in BitRips zip. I'll try the DSDT, but I doubt it will work... Did you try it?

Yeah I tried it on my very first install of SL and it worked

I'm releasing a update that will allow you to create a preboot CD or USB boot disk, which will allow one to install SL from a SL install and circumvent a lot of this complexity.

MAJ

I guess I will have to wait till you release the new update. I found the 4.02 version stashed somewhere at work so I will give that a try when I have some free time on my hands, other than that I cant wait for your update release as I believe it will make things much easier for me.

I find the whole experience weird and shocking..

Thanks again

Charles

For those who would like a BootCD: Blackosx in his thread on 10.6.1 on an EP45 board has a BootCD for that board (Post #1). I have used that CD to boot my EX58-UD3R. This leads us to a single HD option to load SnowLeopard. One can use the Boot132 proceedure to get the machine to boot from the SL Retail DVD.

To move things a little faster than using a DVD, on one of my Macs I created a disk image of the SL DVD, then restored that to a USB2.0 flash drive (needs to be at least 8gb). Make two partitions on that drive, one about 400gb, the other the remainder. To the small partition copy DD's install folder with the kexts you will be using and I copied the EFI string for the video card into the boot.plist file in the plists folder. Restore the OSX.dmg to the large partition.

Put the BootCD into the drive and plug the USB drive in, then boot the machine. It will boot from the CD and you will come to a screen where you can select the OSInstall from the USB drive. Hit Return at that point and SL installer will load. Use DiskUtility to partition and format the HD then install the OS (I customize to not install print drivers, languages and extra fonts).

At the completion of the install the installer will want to reboot. Allow that to proceed and it will again boot into the CD. Now select your newly installed SL and proceed through the usual setup. Once done with that run DD's script to install the bootloader, kexts, DSDT patch, and make active. You can now remove the CD and the USB drive and reboot into your new SL.

Hi

Just wanted to say that the GFX problem is gone.

Believe it or not: The power supply connector was not pushed in all the way. Therefore, the GFX card was running on very low performance, about 1/5 of nominal.

I only found this out after I installed the latest forceware drivers in Vista and got a message that the power connector was missing.

DOH!!!

:wacko:

It's all good now.

Thanks, Mike

Hi

Just wanted to say that the GFX problem is gone.

Believe it or not: The power supply connector was not pushed in all the way. Therefore, the GFX card was running on very low performance, about 1/5 of nominal.

I only found this out after I installed the latest forceware drivers in Vista and got a message that the power connector was missing.

DOH!!!

:)

It's all good now.

Thanks, Mike

LOL! Well, we're all wiser now!

So, the card has an extra power connector, eh?

Interesting, my 4870 won't let me boot up with the connector off. It will just flash a large red warning on the screen saying the power connector is not plugged in. Of course, this 4870 is really power hungry, even in idle. I believe it's at 90W idle. :(

MAJ

i cant even get this setup to boot into the kalyway install? any ideas? feel like a fool, but have spent at least 10hours reading now and am stumped, thought asking such a stupid question wouldnt harm anyone :)

i have a ga-ex59-ud5, i7 920 oc @ 3.8 (not sure if that makes a difference)6gb viper series patriot ram, PNY 9400GT. i also have a brand new unformatted hd, and a windows formatted hd. i have no access to a working mac.

Hey DD, great work on the script. It runs beautifully in kalyway.

...but I can't boot up.

During the install from my retail Snow Leopard DVD, I got an "Installation Failed" message. No idea why.

Then, when I try to boot up, it never even gets to Chameleon. After it verifies the DMI pool data, it hangs on this message:

boot0: GPT

boot0: testing

boot0: done

boot1: startupfile

I verified the smbios.plist and changed the flags in the boot.plist to -v arch=i386, all to no avail. Is there something big I'm missing here? I'd appreciate any help you can offer!

i cant even get this setup to boot into the kalyway install? any ideas? feel like a fool, but have spent at least 10hours reading now and am stumped, thought asking such a stupid question wouldnt harm anyone :)

i have a ga-ex59-ud5, i7 920 oc @ 3.8 (not sure if that makes a difference)6gb viper series patriot ram, PNY 9400GT. i also have a brand new unformatted hd, and a windows formatted hd. i have no access to a working mac.

I feel you... :-)

a) don't waste your time with Kalway

B) get iAtkos instead (latest should be v7 with Leo 10.5.7)

c) now - and this is really important: when you boot the iAtkos DVD make sure to press a key to enter into the boot loader console and then type "busratio=20" (obviously without the "). Without that you will not be able to boot any of the newer distros and instead will be faced with a boot loop

d) install iAtkos by clicking ok / continue at all the questions - no need to get fancy you just need to get it to run once in order to format your target HD and run the SL installation script (from the 1st post in this thread) which includes running the original SL installer from the SL DVD you should have handy at that point. If iAtkos will not properly boot for you once you have installed it then try to use -x -x32 -f at the boot prompt. If you get a black (or some black / white blocks) screen 10-20 seconds after the boot right before it should display the finder then you need to boot into single mode (option -s) and move all your GPU vendor's KEXT to some other folder. But let's cross that bridge when and if you ever get there... :-)

e) from there on you should stick to DD's first post here

Hope that helps!

Don't lose your faith - you will get there eventually and it will be well worth the pain. :-)

thanks a lot m8, much appreciated. im about to go to bed now, but ill do what you said as soon as i wake up and let u know how i get on. definitely think it will be worth the pain, as soon as i finally suss out how to do this all my friends will be getting hackintoshes lol

Yeah I tried it on my very first install of SL and it worked

I tried the DSDT (without IONetworkingFamily.kext) and it doesn't work.... Did you try without IONetworkingFamily.kext? Because IONetworkingFamily.kext is enabling the LAN interface it seems...

I'm actually using the excellent Noctua NH-U12P. I cranked up the fan speed a bit and I'm at around 40c now. I'll see if it goes up. Maybe it was just that...

How do I know if SpeedStep is really working properly though?

Are you on the stock cooler? I'd check the CPU to heatsink contact. Doesn't sound like there's much heat transfer going on.

MAJ

Hey DD, great work on the script. It runs beautifully in kalyway.

...but I can't boot up.

During the install from my retail Snow Leopard DVD, I got an "Installation Failed" message. No idea why.

Then, when I try to boot up, it never even gets to Chameleon. After it verifies the DMI pool data, it hangs on this message:

boot0: GPT

boot0: testing

boot0: done

boot1: startupfile

I verified the smbios.plist and changed the flags in the boot.plist to -v arch=i386, all to no avail. Is there something big I'm missing here? I'd appreciate any help you can offer!

The "installation failed" message is usually attributed to trying to do a 'normal' install. Once you select the disk to install to, click on Customize and deselect the print drivers, translations and additional fonts, ie just install the basics.

d) install iAtkos by clicking ok / continue at all the questions - no need to get fancy you just need to get it to run once in order to format your target HD and run the SL installation script (from the 1st post in this thread) which includes running the original SL installer from the SL DVD you should have handy at that point. If iAtkos will not properly boot for you once you have installed it then try to use -x -x32 -f at the boot prompt. If you get a black (or some black / white blocks) screen 10-20 seconds after the boot right before it should display the finder then you need to boot into single mode (option -s) and move all your GPU vendor's KEXT to some other folder. But let's cross that bridge when and if you ever get there... :-)

ok, i got to this point, it install iatkos, rebooted, but now wont boot into it. i tried the boot menu options you said, firstly -x -x32 -f, and then it goes to grey screen with apple, and the loading icon, then after a minute or so it brings up a "no entry" type icon (a circle with a line through it)

i then tried -x -x32 -f -s and it then shows u the text of all the kernels and kexts being loaded, and stops at this error:

Firewire (OHCI) TI 8024 PCI now active. GUID 007a8dbe0000241d;max speed s400

ERROR: FireWIre unable to determine security mode; defaulting to full-secure

and then it just keeps saying

Still waiting for root device

Still waiting for root device

Ill keep hunting for ideas, ill update this post if i get past it :)