OSX 10.5.8 is now in software update

276 posts in this topic

Is sleep not working when OSX sleeps itself, or is it not working when you go to Apple Menu > Sleep?

After updating to 10.5.8, sleep wasn't working when I went to Apple > Sleep. I read today that deleting Disabler.kext fixes it for some, but at the expense of CPU temperature. After deleting it, sleep still didn't appear to work and my temperatures were the same. I walked away from my computer and when I came back it was sleeping, but woke up fine. I also just realized I have NullCPUPowerManagement.kext in my extensions, so that may explain the temperatures staying the same. Sleep menu option still doesn't work, but this is not a huge issue since auto-sleep works. To anyone experiencing sleep trouble, check if both don't work or if one or the other does.

Edit: Just removed NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and I can confirm that sleep now fully works (from Apple Menu and via auto-sleep.) As expected, the CPU seems to be running about 5-7 degrees hotter than it did before.

Temperature Monitor show me 23C but you are lucky if sleep is working for you.

I took disabler.kext out of extensions.mkext and out of /Extra/Extensions and now sleep works again.

Use mkexttool to edit extensions.mkext

Be sure to keep a backup!!!!

Is disabler.kext really needed?

Will removing this have any negative effects?

JN

Disabler keeps AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from loading because it causes kernel panics.

I removed Disabler and the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext but have yet to test sleep. Will report back when im done working and can risk a forced reboot.

I rolled the mach_kernel back from 9.8 to 9.7 and that seems to have solved the sleep problem. Another thing I noticed is a large number if lines that say:

Hackintosh kernel[0]: disk1s2: ioctl(_IOW,'d',31,32) is unsupported.

during startup and continuing while the computer is running. Any thoughts on getting rid of that? disk1s2 is my main/boot drive.

Any thoughts someone might have would be appreciated.

I confirm that removing IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext from /Extra/Extensions.mkext fixes the sleep issue, but the temperatures are 4/5 °C higher.

That didn't fix the sleep problem on my system. Thanks for the suggestion, however.

Anyone else have orange drive icons after the update?

I can confirme that removing intelcpupm disabler fixe my sleep issue,

PS to all: u will need a dsdt patch and use a bootloader that support dsdt override, otherwise deleting any kind of intelcpupm disabler will cause KP

Still waiting on root device .... I got that after updating. I suspect something happened to the necessary ICHX and I'm actually running Software RAID too. Hard Drives weren't responding. I scoured the web and one guy eluded to backing up your Extensions folder from 10.5.7 and replacing it after the 10.5.8 update.

That fixed my issue and I can now boot up.

I do not know what updates were really lost though by wiping out kernel extensions that may of had updates specifically for this release, but as far as I can tell I'm rock solid.

I'm running a XPS 420 (2) Raptor drives Raid 0, 8800GTX OC2, Stock LAN, Stock Audio.

Anyone experiencing Time Machine issues?

I have IONetworkingfamily in /Extra, Ethernet works fine, but 10.5.8 somehow broke my TimeMachine ?

Any suggestions on that??

Cheers

Goron

I can confirme that removing intelcpupm disabler fixe my sleep issue,

PS to all: u will need a dsdt patch and use a bootloader that support dsdt override, otherwise deleting any kind of intelcpupm disabler will cause KP

Brilliant!. Yes I can also confirm that using DSDT with the disabler removed for AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement allows sleep on 10.5.8

:D

So can any one here who managed to get sleep working be kind enough to detail the steps to get sleep working?

Secondly does it make any difference whether you use retail or other distribution to install OS X inorder to get sleep working?

Regards,

Sleep worked fine after update from 10.5.7 to 10.5.8.

Had no problems with sleep in 10.5.8

But now , I did an upgrade of My CPU - switched from a Single Core Celeron to an Core2 Duo 2.66 and sleep doesnt work anymore :)

i got kernel panic after installing 10.5.8...

and now I couldn't enter my system, even using safe mode(-x) or single mode(-s)

Is there any suggestion?

is it possible to install .kext file via live cd?

thanks

@ Blackosx

I have nearly the same MoBo as you. How did you manage to use the AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext? If i try to load it, i get a kernelpanic immediately. I am using a fixed DSDT made by DSDT_Patcher. How does your DSDT look like?

I have nearly the same MoBo as you. How did you manage to use the AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext? If i try to load it, i get a kernelpanic immediately. I am using a fixed DSDT made by DSDT_Patcher. How does your DSDT look like?

Here's my DSDT.aml file for GA-EP45-DS3L. I have written a thread to help build a DSDT for the GA-EP45-DS3L using Koalala's ACPIPatcher.

Hope this helps you. :rolleyes:

dsdt.aml.zip

Use the Disabler.kext! The installer verifies the existence of periodically AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, if you deleted it aborts the installation!

All working, except the battery meter, even USB ok! Audio OK! Wireless RTL8187L OK!

Thank you, the operation took place successfully

Thank you :rolleyes:

i got kernel panic after installing 10.5.8...

and now I couldn't enter my system, even using safe mode(-x) or single mode(-s)

Is there any suggestion?

is it possible to install .kext file via live cd?

thanks

I had the same problem using ideneb 10.5.7 so what i did was i went into my other leopard drive and repaired the disk and permissions booted with -v -f and all was fine again. You also can do this by using any of your distro discs and use disk util. that way.

I removed Disabler and the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext but have yet to test sleep. Will report back when im done working and can risk a forced reboot.

Sleep still doesnt work. My mobo is a GA-P35-DS3L with an E6750.

Anyone else have orange drive icons after the update?

I havent, have you tried installing the old patch to fix it?

Forgive my noob-ness, but is there a dummy's guide to dsdt? Like what it is, how it works, and how to set it up? I've never bothered with dsdt because disabler worked fine for me.

Thanks for the hint. AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement did the trick. I didn't had any disabler loaded but VoodooPower was running. Now I have AppleIntelCPUPM loaded instead of VoodooPower and sleep (manual) works again. It doesn't really do its job (throttling) but I prefer having sleep working than having my cpu throttled.

(btw: custom dsdt)

Updated 10.5.7 manually with the full combo update.

Yukon2.kext got replaced/updated again so I had to fix that to get network working. Standard procedure is hand-editing the info.plist, replacing the 88E8053 entry with 88E8056 and inserting the proper device ID.

Shutdown stopped working, it would shutdown normally (all case/mobo lights off, monitor off) but with the CPU fan still spinning.

I've installed OpenHaltRestart.kext from Psystar and that seems to have fixed it. I've never had to use that before, and the times when I did have problems shutting down, it didn't work for me. But it works on 10.5.8 for some reason.

Otherwise everything seems fine, sleep still works as well.

My installation is mostly vanilla, only patches are EFI/extra/smbios.plist and DSDT.aml, the orange icons fix that comes with Chameleon 2, AppleVIAATA.kext, a patched AppleHDA.kext (it spits out some errors during boot up but it works), NVEnabler.kext, the modified Yukon2.kext, Netkas' new DSMOS.kext and now OpenHaltRestart.kext

I'm not using any disablers, all Apple kexts that install and gets loaded by default are running.

Updated from mostly vanilla 10.5.7 manually with the full combo update.

Yukon2.kext got replaced/updated again so I had to fix that to get network working.

Otherwise everything seems fine, sleep still works as well.

Change the name of the kext to something like "Yukon2Beerkexd.kext" and raise it´s version to 9.9.9 so it will not get replaced again and it will load over apple´s ones. ;)