OSX 10.5.8 is now in software update

276 posts in this topic

No problems here. Upgraded from XxX 10.5.6 to 10.5.8 via combo update. Vanilla kernel 9.8 was installed as a result (I was running a hacked kernel before, don't remember the version but Vanilla seems to be working good now). Using Chameleon 2.0-FC2 for the bootloader. I did get the double boot thing the first time after upgrading. Boots normally since then. Everything worked with the following caveats:

-I had to change SATA from IDE to AHCI in the bios. I could not see my secondary hard drive otherwise.

-Fixed sound with AppleHDA Patcher using the ALC883 patch.

-Fixed onboard ethernet by editing IONetworkingFamily kext from Marvell Yukon 8053 to 8056. Tons of tutorials on this via Google search. I knew how to do it as I have had to do it with every update so far.

-Shutdown was not working because of the Vanilla kernel (fans kept running). I used OpenHaltRestart kext to fix that. (Props to Psystar for coming up with that. I take back the bad things I said about them.)

One last thing about OpenHaltRestart. I had a devil of a time getting it to load until I discovered that what you are downloading from Psystar is actually the kext inside of a file. Extract the kext by right clicking on the downloaded file and selecting Show Package Contents. You will see the kext in there. Drag it out and use KextHelper to install it. Sometimes it's the simple stuff that confounds you the most!

Otherwise everything else works like a charm. All my Apple pro apps work fine (FCS 2, Aperture, Shake, et al.) After I did the system update I went back to Software Update and updated everything else without a hitch. I haven't tried sleep. It's never worked for me before and I don't care. It's a desktop machine and I don't use it. About This Mac works perfectly. All information shows correct except the processor which shows up as unknown. Easy enough to edit.

System specs are as follows:

Asus P5K Pro P35 motherboard (Great board for OSX86 by the way. It's never let me down.)

Intel Q6600 quad core CPU (running at stock 2.4GHz)

4gb DDR800 ram

XFX 7600GT 256mb graphics card

320gb SATA primary hard drive

640gb SATA secondary hard drive

SATA dvd burner

Eveything is wrapped up in a pretty silver Lian-Li V600 case for all that aluminum cheese grater goodness.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for all your hard work and the helpful info.

Cheers!

Just wanted to point out two things about this update that I found

1. If your audio fails after installing 10.5.8 (if you are using AppleAzaliaAudio for some cards for example). Check to see that it is not the new AppleHDA that is loading. The new AppleHDA is very intent on loading and will block AppleAzaliaAudio (and possilbe VoodooHDA from loading).

2. For sleep issues people are removing the CPU power management disabler kexts. It works for some. I don't know why, but the new AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext loads fine and does not cause a KP anymore.

Used software update, everything works now after removing the disabler and AppleHDA.

Just wanted to point out two things about this update that I found

1. If your audio fails after installing 10.5.8 (if you are using AppleAzaliaAudio for some cards for example). Check to see that it is not the new AppleHDA that is loading. The new AppleHDA is very intent on loading and will block AppleAzaliaAudio (and possilbe VoodooHDA from loading).

2. For sleep issues people are removing the CPU power management disabler kexts. It works for some. I don't know why, but the new AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext loads fine and does not cause a KP anymore.

Used software update, everything works now after removing the disabler and AppleHDA.

AppleInterCPUPowerMangament.kext still causes KP for me.

Don't really know how to fix

Anyone with an ACPI control method battery have fully working battery meter with 10.5.8? I use VoodooBattery, and my battery meter will no longer display the battery time remaining even with the battery meter configured with 'show->Time'. With the battery meter configured with 'show->percentage' it does show the percentage however. Also the battery meter still claims 'Power Source: Power adapter' even though the icon has changed to show that the power source is the battery.

The battery meter worked ok for me before the upgrade with 10.5.7.

I put this on my hackintosh.... I used software update... 1st boot i got this wierd screen which made my screen look like a pixel failure, but on second boot it worked.... now i can turn my airport on and off!!!! Had to re-install audio though... Only bug is that headphone jack doesnt work (which is detected automatically).

took the plunge, turned out to be a bad one. i just got ideneb 10.5.7 to work great. so i went for the 10.5.8 update via software update and it broke my install. installed fine and then rebooted once. im stuck at the apple screen and cant get it to boot. ive tried safe mode and various kernels (voodoo,anv,vanilla) with no luck, any ideas?

Anyone with an ACPI control method battery have fully working battery meter with 10.5.8? I use VoodooBattery, and my battery meter will no longer display the battery time remaining even with the battery meter configured with 'show->Time'. With the battery meter configured with 'show->percentage' it does show the percentage however. Also the battery meter still claims 'Power Source: Power adapter' even though the icon has changed to show that the power source is the battery.

The battery meter worked ok for me before the upgrade with 10.5.7.

You need use smbios.plist rather than AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext

@ et al

On the MSI Wind we are seeing CPU max frequency at 50% capacity and stepping down 50% more with native power management, not good. Are none of you experiencing this?

Using an initial Kalyway install, vanilla kernel, recently upgraded to a stock Chameleon RC2 update.

Using the combo updated caused the computer to hard freeze at boot. I had to go to /System/InstallAtStartup/Scripts and change the line for "Don't Steal Mac OS X" to "dsmos.kext" (which is what I have). After this, it did the double reboot (except my hackintosh doesn't reboot, so I had to hold the button down), and now everything works.

Guest ѕиоѡ

- Did the update via Software-Update and left PC to install, came back and was already booted into 10.5.8 (I dont have dsmos installed and use Disabler kext)

- Checked sleep and did not work

- Installed old (10.5.7) kernel and sleep worked again

- Audio (Audigy 2 ZS) / Video / Network all working (have to check Time Machine)

1 question lads: What disadvantage is there by using an old kernel?

Thx

You need use smbios.plist rather than AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext

Actually I *was* using smbios.plist to set the model to other than the default MacBookPro4,1 per netkas's old recommendation here http://netkas.org/?p=100 , and it looks like that was the problem somehow. On another disk I re-did the 10.5.7 update with an smbios.plist and it broke the battery details until I redid it without an smbios.plist. Unfortunately re-doing the 10.5.8 combo update without an smbios.plist change hasn't fixed my 10.5.8 install.

I'm sure I'm missing something as I haven't been able to find the offending difference in /Library or /System between the upgrade attempts. Would have expected a difference in /S/L/SystemConfiguration/PowerManagement.bundle...

I'd sure like to know exactly how the smbios.plist is breaking the battery status.

@ et al

On the MSI Wind we are seeing CPU max frequency at 50% capacity and stepping down 50% more with native power management, not good. Are none of you experiencing this?

I don't find AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement to be throttling the cpu frequency across P-states at all, but my modified voodoopower still works as with 10.5.7. Voltages are reportedly the same as well. Need AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement for suspend to work however.

OK

I just updated too.

I had the following in /Extra:

dsmos

UUID

LegacyHDA

openhaltrestart

disabler

Till now I have only discovered 2 issues.

-Sleep doesn't work. Monitor goes to sleep but not the rest of the computer. Monitor doesn't wake up again whatsoever Removed DSDT.aml and tried putting it to sleep which caused the Hard Disk to make LOUD TICKING sounds. The needle started hitting the disk so I powered it off quickly. I think its another ACPI issue (My HDD never did that before). :P

-System profiler doesn't read the Audio hardware properly.

Dr. Hurt

You need to have a working dsdt.aml with the HPET patched. Use the tool from PCWIZ and put it in your HD root and remove disabler.kext but leave installed AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, its working like a charm here with shutdown, restart and sleep.

Dr. Hurt

You need to have a working dsdt.aml with the HPET patched. Use the tool from PCWIZ and put it in your HD root and remove disabler.kext but leave installed AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, its working like a charm here with shutdown, restart and sleep.

You're right

Removing disabler.kext does FIX the sleep issue. I already had my custom DSDT.aml with HPET so I just removed the disabler.kext and now everything is working perfectly.

Thanks

You're right

Removing disabler.kext does FIX the sleep issue. I already had my custom DSDT.aml with HPET so I just removed the disabler.kext and now everything is working perfectly.

Thanks

Sleep has never worked for me, but shutdown did. After the 10.5.8 update the system will neither sleep nor shutdown.

I'm about to update from 10.5.6 to 10.5.8 on my HACK 02 (specs in my sig). I was trying to back Up my existing system, but TimeMachine is not working. Te Message says: "Time Machine could not be configured. The built-in network interface could not be found." Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Updated to 10.5.8 with Software Update, had to reboot 2x.. but everything seems to work fine, just like before the update.. only thing I noticed is system profile says my cpu speed is 4.1Ghz, it should be 2.1Ghz,. it does recognizes 2 cores.. but still, anyone knows how to get right speed?

And I don't mean edit the About Mac part :D Thx.